Sunday, April 12, 2015

SUQQU Glow Loose Powder

I'm not even quite sure when this came out.  I don't normally stand attentive for new base product releases (SUQQU or any other brand, really).  I do spend a lot of time thinking about using base products to achieve a certain effect or how certain products enhance an overall look.  And then there is of course my ever-changing skin that gets a little bit older, a bit drier and then has a major freakout regularly when it gets to be winter.

In any case, SUQQU did release a new loose powder.  Along with the Chiffon Feel Loose Powder, at some point, they released the Glow Loose Powder.  The brand's website describes it as a "peach beige powder evens outs unevenness in the skin's color and creates smooth skin with a radiant glow."  I thought with the brand's sneaky discontinuing of the Nuancing Loose Powder, I thought I would give this Glow one a try.
The container looks identical to the Nuancing Loose Powder and also comes with a velour puff.
I definitely see the "peach beige" color described in the product, but it applies translucent on my skin.

The aspect of the powder I was most curious about was this GLOW factor.  By glow, do I get sheen or end up like I've sprinkled chunky glitter bits all over my face.  Or would it be something in between?

I honestly can not pick out any obvious (or actually hidden shimmer) in this powder.  Very similar to any powder product I've tried from SUQQU, it is light and finely milled.  It is unlike silica based powder lightness (like the Rouge Bunny Rouge one), but for a traditional talc-based powder, it has a light and delicate texture.  (I've posted a picture of the ingredient at the bottom of the post for you).  The glow is from the mica which is the second ingredient in the powder, but it must also be finer than I can pick out in discrete bits with my naked eye (or my camera macro lens). Haha!  On a newer monitor, I can see very teeny eeny glints of shimmer on my arm swatch.
Reviewing loose powder base products is the pits!  Especially ones as fine as this which melts into the skin and really can not be captured in a photo.

Trust me (or not!  But I bought this one, so maybe you can trust me), I've loaded a pile of the Glow Loose powder on my inner arm.  I'm not even sure I see much texture change, let alone glow.

As I mentioned above in passing, the brand has discontinued the Nuancing Loose Powder and the Pressed version.  If this is your favorite (mine is the pressed version in Natural, which I just bought two back ups of), might be time to hit up your local retailer and get one.  I was sad about the Nuancing Loose Powder in Natural going away, but I was excited to try something new.  How does the Nuancing in Natural and the Glow Loose Powder compare?
Perhaps you can see a tiny bit of finish difference between the two.  The Glow Loose Powder has a slight sheen, while the Nuancing Loose Powder in Natural is matte.
 Funny thing, is the in the swatches, I've had a very difficult time how the product applies differently on my skin.  Which kind of makes it seem like the Glow Loose powder would be a good stand in for Nuancing.

Don't be fooled by my crap swatches.  The Glow Loose Powder is amazing and subtle and beautiful and indeed is something quite different when applied on my face.  Do you see how the light catches in a soft way on the high points of my face?  That's the powder doing its magical thing, because I'm wearing it over my soft matte finish Frame Fix Cream N (also from the brand).
I love this combination of the SUQQU Frame Fix Cream N and the Glow Loose Powder.  The foundation by itself really perfects the skin with it's crazy high pigmentation.  It also does very well in terms of oil control.  It does a really good job keeping the oils under control (or at least breaking through the foundation) in my T-zone.  However, matte is never my favorite finish, even though FFCN does gives a softer version of matte.  But with a generous heaping dusting of the Glow Loose Powder, I've added back a soft luster to my skin.

Another reason I love the FFCN + Glow Loose Powder combo is that the powder, like the Nuancing version does zippo for oil control.
Here is a real close up of my skin in a photo taken with my macro lens.
And here is that ingredient listing I promised you:

So ends the product post but here is a Belly-style bonus rant:

Last week, I had the occasion to go makeup free because I woke up late and I had to dash out of the house.  During my lunch break, I went to a fancy salon to buy a skincare product.  They didn't have it in stock, but instead of just letting me walk out the door, the esthetician tried to sell me a more heavy-duty version of the product, which I was not interested in.

Her selling technique is one often called "negging."  This is a type of selling technique where the sales person uses insults to convince the buyer that because the buyer has such and such faults, she needs to buy such and such product.  The things she mentioned were my clogged pores and how oily I am.  And then she kept repeating it and then proceeded to criticize the products I used on my skin.

First, I'm no dummy and I do enough research and understand how products tend to work for me.  For instance, loading up on phenol on my skin (as she was suggesting) on my dehydrated and irritated skin (from the sucky winter) would freak my skin out even further.  And second, referring to my non-existent cloggy (or minimally) skin is just laughable.  I put my naked skin on this blog often and I'm proud of my skin.  Of the (superficial) things I am grateful for is the freak of nature/ genetics jack pot that allows me to have nice skin.

But even more upsetting is that using a tactic that preys on a woman's possible insecurities to make a sale is just deplorable.  I've encountered this type of tactic a few times.  I admit in my younger years I've fallen for this.  It's not a pitfall of youth, of course.  But it is easy on these occasions to think that maybe there IS something wrong with my face.  Belly readers, let's not stand for this crap behavior that makes us dwell on our insecurities and makes us prone to be prey to this type of selling tactic.  Even if I had a bad skin day, as we all can, I would have had the same response as I did that day at the salon:  Walk out the door.  I don't stand for that and neither should you.

30 comments :

  1. AMEN Sistah, preach it!! Ha! Why did I get such a satisfying laugh over thinking that SA try the "negging" on you? Of course she won't win :-D Not only your skin speaks for itself... Now, let's talk about "selling technique" -- is there such thing? is this a real technical term? Because I do feel SA have several ways to win a sale.

    Nonetheless, oh my. That powder is probably the ideal powder in my book -- a powder that actually produces glow. Even some of the powder that claims to induce glow is more like highlighter in disguise. And how the heck am I ever going to match with the Suqqu foundation if they don't sell it here? -- foundation of which I have high hope since I've used Lunasol foundation with very high satisfaction rate. O.k. Belly, use your belliness-power to bring Suqqu here. #BringSuqqutoUS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I get a R'AMEN! :D She may have been a very sucky practitioner of the negging technique because she just uses it indiscriminantly? Or this stupid negging thing is so pervasive that selling professionals think it is the way to go? In any case, I don't LIKE it!

      I went into to edit my post, because on a large, new, higher definition monitor, I can definitely see fine sheen & micro bits of shimmer on my arm. (maybe it's time to upgrade my 7 year old laptop afterall) But I don't think it is highlighter level of shimmer. I use this all over my face and I LIKE IT!

      Which Lunasol did you like, Claire? I blind bought and end up being lucky with the shade for the particular foundation, but I did get to try other foundation samples from the brand in various colors over time, so I kind of knew what works. Otherwise, it would be very difficult to figure out a shade.

      Delete
    2. Lunasol Skin Modeling Foundation -- which I think is now already revamped into the new Skin Modeling Liquid Finish. When I went to Asia last year, I didn't even see the cream one, but the liquid one is quite decent color-wise. It is quite liquidy but coverage is really good and does not ball up against many of the sunscreen I use.

      Delete
    3. Ah, I've heard of that Lunasol one! I'm surprised how quickly Japanese companies discontinue and introduce new foundations. I can only hope it is because they are constantly developing formulations with newer and newer technology.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear the comment box ate up my last comment! Let me see what I wrote...

    You did a wonderful job with the powder review... these things are really the hardest to write! But negging is simply deplorable! I get that sometimes when I go into Sephora... partly because my skin often freaks out and i'm constantly testing something new. Anyway, when I encounter such pushy BAs, i will squash them like a cockroach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you so so much, Linda! The best powders should be invisibly enhancing on the skin, imo. So to photograph it is a futile endeavor!

      You squish them like a hard-shell on the outside, yet satisfyingly squishy on the inside bugs that they are. A lot of women will have insecurities about their skin. It's such a shit tactic to use that just to make a sale. I really despise that.

      Delete
  3. LOL negging. Oh, we get lots of these sales people here. They'll pick on everything, including non existent flaws so that you'll buy whatever product they recommend. My skin isn't bad either, and even on their skin analysis machine thingy, mine turned out brilliantly! So there was one time, when I got so pissy, I turned it around on her. I started picking on her skin and said it's a proof how their skincare isn't worth jackshit. HAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMFGGGGG, LILY! You are so the BOSS! Hahahahahah! I love how you turned the tables on her. I hope that little moment was a learning moment for her. Learn this: NO MESS WITH LILY!

      Delete
  4. Your skin is great, and I'm pleased you stood firm against the ridiculous negging. Also, that glow is superb - subtle but noticeably luminous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you Annamaria. I can't take credit for my skin. I do the sun protection, moisturizing and tretinoin. Those do some things for sure, but I really thank genetics. It does make a nice canvas for the powder though. It is a beautiful powder. Now, if it had some oil control properties, it would be HG for me.

      Delete
  5. You need to be the model and spokesperson for Suqqu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. LOL! Now that is a compliment I can go for. :)
      SUQQU, please make me your Belly Model!

      Delete
  6. ew yeah, negging is so not the way to go. Like, dafuq?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When she started talking, I was like: THE HALE?!
      *turn on heel* *walk out*

      Delete
  7. YES, good for you, Belly! Why do they think that is a good tactic to use? Do we really need more reasons to get down on ourselves? GRRRRRRR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must work. It worked on me a few times in the past. But those are the types of sales people I would never go back to, or build relationships with. Very stupid.
      GRRRRRR! I will need Liz to come and Hulk Smash the fancy salon to bits. I just give the passive aggressive side eye.

      Delete
  8. I hate when they do this... I always tell them what I think about this selling technique and leave immediately.
    Your skin is beautiful, it looks good and you have zero pore visible ! XD
    The powder looks so good on you ! Now I want to buy it too and I do not even wear powder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD I love this powder to bits. But I can not condone the purchase of this powder by someone that does not wear powder! NON! :D

      Delete
  9. Good for you! One of the reasons I do not like going to an actual store any more. Many of them are rude, untrained, and ignorant (plus the store lighting always plays tricks). Unless they come up quickly with some major revolution in sales and marketing tactics, all those retail stores could cease to exist in the near future.
    Anyway, ;), did you say anything to that SA, or was it not worth your time? Cause I totally agree with you - you have gorgeous skin!
    I am totally dependent on silicone based powder at this point. I kind of miss those days when I was madly in love with T LeClerc powder. This Suqqu powder does not seem to dry your skin at all although talc-based, and makes you skin look very natural and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apart from being a general misanthrope, I like shopping on line because I can buy things with no pressure and no poor sales tactics. I do really enjoy the pleasure of shopping with knowledgeable and friendly sales that have a true enthusiasm for beauty. And I've met many of SAs like that. But every time I run into dodos that do shit negging like this, it makes me want to put my pajamas back on and declare "Internet Shopping Forever!"

      This powder doesn't seen drying at all. As a matter of fact, the last generation of loose powder (their Nuancing one) is often cited by dry skinned folks as being very skin loving. Probably also why it doesn't do much for oil control. This Glow one is chock full of dimethicone, so if you like 'cones in your powder, this has it! Also has silica much lower in the ingredient listing (must be how it is so light & fluffy). Which powder are you in love with?

      Delete
    2. Good to know! :)
      Right now I'm really liking the NARS pressed powder to set foundation. Blanc de perle works more of a highlighter for me, but it also controls oil pretty well. :)
      I recently tried Koh Gen Do powder (2 different kinds), but they didn't work as well being more of a traditional type of powder.

      Delete
  10. Ok, so nothing I say here is going to be as good as my original comment when I was all fired up lolol!!! But I was generally going to say that I can't believe negging is an actual sales tactic. Seriously. W.T.F. Because it's not intimidating enough already to go into some stores, and particularly some counters. I had this happen to me once, where I didn't know it was negging - I just thought she was being a downright nasty b**ch. She made me cry and NO that did not make me want to buy anything from her. It just made me want to slap her. But instead I went to the CS desk and asked to speak to a manager. Ended up speaking to the store manager and recounted what happened and how badly she made me feel. Was so angry and everything that I unavoidably cried while talking to the store manger. Oooof. Anyway...when I told her who it was she actually didn't seem surprised, but was entirely apologetic and gave me her card. Said whenever I wanted to visit the counters to please call her first and she'd be sure to set me up with someone else. BUT point being...it's so sad that it's actually a sales tactic to pick someone apart...especially as women I think we are hard enough on ourselves that we certainly don't need anyone else to do it for us. SHAME, shame, shame.

    BTW your skin looks beautiful!!!! HUGS!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have many feelings about this shameful negging selling tactic, I could write a whole essay about them... but I'm an inarticulate soul and don't dare torture you and your lovely readers with my Vogon-level "poetry" so I'mma stick to FUCK HER.


    That powder looks dreamy on your (perfectly clear and beautiful, wtf crack-smoking lady) skin. I am sad to hear it doesn't do much to control oil! I struggle so much with powders in the winter. My oilier areas remain oily but become flakey too, while the rest of my face is dryyyy D: If you (or any readers out there!) have any recommendations I would be so so thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You tell it! First of all! Huge round of applause for your confidence on your gorgeous skin! Negging remains quite common in TW, I often experience it first hand and/or witness it done. Where possible I'll just reply in jest and say I'm using all the stuff they're trying to sell me, and they've just confirmed it doesnt do shit XP
    But every now and then I still get duped, because I've recently felt some SAs have learned to subtly neg behind some empty positiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my goodness, Gummy! That is a terrible experience. But I am so proud of you for going and complaining to the store manager. I think most people would feel terrible and want to just flee the situation but you went in and totally confronted it. I guess the disappointing this about the whole outcome is that the store mgr. had no intention of firing this person since it was made clear that person would still be on the floor. I guess this betch brought in the bucks, but seriously at what expense to the customers?!
    Today, I am sporting a big hormonal cytic zit. :) Ha! I dare someone to use that to make me feel bad at a counter bc, now, I will totally pull a Gummy move.
    (Re-writing a comment totally takes the wind out of the sails. I've experienced it too many times. *shakes fist in futility at Blogger*)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cat, we can totally do poetry and may I oblige you with my verses?
    Rose are red.
    Violets are blue.
    Be a negging betch,
    and I will FUCK YOU UP. (or we can sic Gummy on her. That also seems to work out nicely)
    I don't think I've found many products at all that help with the oil. I've run the gamut of primers, powders, foundations but nothing beats good ol' blotting and then light powdering during the day, eh?
    Hopefully others can weigh in, but the RBR powder seems to do a good job with oil control. Also have you tried Biore UV Face Milk in the white bottle/pale tan cap? Aside from being a good sunscreen, it is mattifying and does a reasonable job with oil control.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, they are upping their game to subtly neg to make you buy. How insidious. :O They know we are on to them.
    I had a form of negging in Asia once. I went to buy a shade in a foundation and the counter didn't carry it because it was considered dark there. They kept on trying to get me to go way too pale than I was at the time (I get very tan in the summer) and saying that I don't want to be dark like that. Wha..? There is a preference for v. light skin there, but honestly, don't tell me I can't be the shade I am! the HALE. I ordered it online from the US shop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you selling Girl Scouts cookies by chance? You look 13 going on 14! Hold on while I scroll back up to admire.Your face is a stellar representation of the no makeup runway look. You will fit right in at Chloe and Jil Sanders!

    You tell that woman who is boss! I have come across negging at hotel spas before but just didn't know the precise term for such experience until now. Thank you for enlightening me! Since my female relatives are quite vocal and unapologetic about their opinions, I was not too taken back by the frequency of negging from spa employees and used to treat them as constructive criticism. Of course, even though the ESPA products I bought per "professional recommendation" are quite good, the process leading up to such purchases always left me feeling pooped. Now I just head straight for the pool or sauna and do my bastardized Gankin massages at home instead.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Josie, How did I end up missing this comment? I don't sell cookies, but I EAT THEM. Speaking of the runway, I can chomp down and polish off at least 2, maybe 3 runway models. *crunch crunch crunch*
    Funny selling technique. Negging is also applicable in non-selling environments, like personal or professional relationships! Like a jerk significant other or co-worker, negging is everywhere.
    This is why buying things facelessly on line is so appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want to try a Suqqu powder, this looks really good, I was thinking of trying the new pore one but maybe should opt for this one instead. Your skin always looks lovely, good on you for walking out that SA sounds like a right bum head! x

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...