Monday, March 16, 2015

Serge Lutens Lipstick in Couvre Feu

While not every incursion I have into a brand is a rip roaring success (sad-face), some things are quite striking.  Sometimes, a formula is so outstanding that I have a tough time not wanting every single color offered and other times, a color is so magnificent that it is difficult not to acquire eventually.

There is something so neatly compact about the whole Serge Lutens makeup display.  I get very lured into displays where the product assortment is so small, that it actually seems feasible to actually end up purchasing every single thing.  Why, that is complete folly of course.  And even more so for a brand like Serge Lutens where a single lipstick is not just a lipstick, it is an absolute and resounding clang to your wallet.
It is a very diminutive little lipstick.  The lipstick case is refillable, with the refill of the bullet being slightly less expensive sans case, but not very handbag safe.
The color of the bullet is obviously a killer vamp.  The brown tones of the shade are prominent in the bullet, and also on the lips in certain lights.  Sometimes though, the color appears more cooler purple and other times, also red.

On the formula and application:
It seems similar to my palette #1 from Serge Lutens (here).  It has a traditional cream feel as well as application.  It is reasonably lightweight for a creamy formula.  For such a richly pigmented color, it also feels comfortable on the lips.  I usually struggle with very pigmented lipsticks, which inevitably suck all the moisture out of my lips and leave my lips feeling very sore.  This formula, while not exactly moisturizing, was comfortable.

It is one of those shades where very careful lip prep is required.  Even though my lips are reasonably in good shape, and I thought pretty well exfoliated of any loose flakes, I found every tiny flake picked up extra color looking darker in those areas than the rest of my lips.

Whether applied straight from bullet to lips or with a lip brush, it applied smoothly and evenly.  And for a color like this a light blotted application is easy to achieve as well as layering on a second or even a third coat for a very deep and dramatic look.

It is, as you can see, a very dramatic shade.  A light layer was applied and then layered on again again and smoothed out around the edges with a lip brush.

Rich and softly lustrous, it looks plush on the lips.  It lasts pretty well, but not long lasting (4 hours or so?).  It does transfer to cups (and people).  It fades nicely and evenly to a stain.
Just showcasing Couvre Feu in this look.

Look what else I dug up:

I was surprised to find that I have inadvertently found a dupe for Black Orchid!  Actually, layered on the lips, Black Orchid is more blackened and purple so maybe not a dupe exactly.  Also it is no achievement to find a dupe that is even MORE expensive than a Tom Ford lipstick.

Still, I was really excited to find a vampy shade that has a much more lip friendly formula than the one of Tom Ford Black Orchid though.  That one really messes me up.  You can see my Black Orchid review here and me wearing it here.
Deep and elegant color, I do find this an infinitely sophisticated color.  Did I mention no scent?  Did I mention ..... CLANNNNNG!

18 comments :

  1. Omg, WANT so much!!! It's the kind of shade that makes me feel sexy even in sweats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly the type of color Couvre Feu is! Best worn with a static-y fleece pull-over, a messy hair bun, sweatpants.

      Delete
  2. Lemming! This colour is so beautiful on you but I'm afraid to get it in case it looks really different on me :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The color is a bit of a chameleon; it switches much cooler toned to the more deeply warm red you see here. Is this in Australia for you to see for yourself?

      Delete
    2. Only their perfumes, can you imagine how expensive they will be in Australia?

      Delete
    3. eeeek! I wonder if there is a price ceiling even for luxury brands in Aus?

      How much do TF$ lipsticks & quads go for there?

      Delete
  3. KaChing too rich for my blood meaning $$$$$$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your number of dollar signs.

      Delete
  4. Oh my, that's such a beautiful plummy vamp colour! Looks great on you, Belly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you, Annamaria!!! Sometimes, nothing as perfect as a dramatic lip color.

      Delete
  5. I love deep colours like this. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lily! You are Queen of Statement Lipstick!

      Delete
  6. WHAT. I did not just see this *unsee unsee unsee* *unsee fail*
    4W49eo2u%^I#(jnfkdrw^*#OIP$#Pkwoioo84785477898^&*#&*).
    I am going to buy that stupid lipstick.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. A really beautiful and flattering vamp for you! I shall remain strong and not lust after all their lippies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to remain strong. They have some very beautiful dark shades in the line, but I don't think I can ever pull the trigger without seeing these in person due to the price points!

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...