Thursday, February 19, 2015

SUQQU Blend Color Eye Shadow in Sakuraori 18

>>Product featured in this post was provided free of charge by the brand / PR for consideration<<

I find that eye shadow palettes, even with their beautiful selection of colors don't always easily lend themselves to an intuitive application.  This was the case with SUQQU's new permanent quad, Sakuraori.

It is absolutely beautiful in the case.  The genius of the brand is often how colors are composed and selected to be in one palette in a way I would never put together.  It let's me run on auto pilot and not have to wrack my pitiful little brain about what colors would play nicely.

As seen in the more recent permanent releases from the brand, each of the shades have some level of shimmer.
 
Here are swatches clockwise from the top left:
  • very pale, near-white pink with scattered bright white, pink and green shimmer.  On my skin, this shade has a lot of translucency and applies on my lids as just bright shimmer.
  • warm satin pink with very fine pale golden shimmer.
  • strongly pigmented dark peach with intense, fine coppery shimmer
  • deeper neutral to cool brown that is fancied up with lots of shimmer - gold, green, pink and yellow
All the shades, even the higher intensity shimmer ones have exquisitely smooth textures that apply and blend easily.  Much more so than the limited edition Haruhinata EX-25 (here), this one has a much more vibrant look and pigmentation.
 
I found that with the textures being more or less uniform (either very shimmery like the pale color, or slightly satiny sheen like the pink), these colors don't layer in a manner that is particularly useful to me.  Complex shimmer it has, yes, but the resulting colors don't make me giggle like a school girl.
 
Do click on any one of the pictures to get a closer look.  You'll see all sorts of hidden glints of shimmer, texture of how they sit on the skin and when you click on a face picture all sorts of random hairs.  Goody.
A quick look at the two palettes, Haruhinata and Sakuraori.  The intensity of Sakuraori is clearly a few notches higher than the more subtle Haruhinata.
L to R: Haruhinata, Sakuraori
Regarding certain palettes not having intuitive placements that jump out at me as soon as I crack open a palette...  Sakuraori got me scratching my noggin because the pink and deep coppery peach (let's say "orange" as shorthand) are not normally colors I would put together.  I've only just recently gotten over my fear of pink eye shadows.
 
The old 2nd generation SUQQU palettes (01-06) are easy for me because I have a default layering placement which has a foundation of the dark matte that is always in those palettes.  Sakuraori has no mattes and the dark brown isn't all that dark.  *scratches head some more*
 
Take #1:
Here's a placement I tried, which I didn't really like.  I had used the dark brown around the upper and lower lashlines to define.  I used the pink as the main lid shade up to the crease and in the inner part of my lower lash line.  And then I used the orange as a crease shade.  The pale white-pink was patted into the center of the mobile lid.
other stuff: Tom Ford Foundation Stick, SUQQU Nuancing Blush 03*, SUQQU Bright Up in Akaanzu 07, Tom Ford Espresso pencil
Not that it looked bad, but there was something a little deflating and tiring about this placement of shades.
Here's another view of my face with more direct natural light.  I think the dark brown and orange were making a bit draining looking.

"I'm so tired!"  *yawn*  "or my makeup makes me look tired!"
Take #2:
 

I thought taking a more aggressive placement stance with the orange would either make or break this other placement.  In this case, I used the orange much much judiciously, as the main lid shade as well as on the lower lashline.  I used the pink this time as the crease color and the darker brown in just to define the outer section of my upper lid and the outer portion of the lower lashline.
Some other tweaks that made this look fresher: a more defined lashline via a dark gel liner (also waterline) with SUQQU liner in Jet Bordeaux, a more contrasting echo to the orange eyes by using a cooler pink on the lips which further echos the orange/pink of the palette.  Lipstick is a SUQQU Bright Up in Barairo (here).

I actually thought this would be more of a slam dunk easy palette, but it ended up being a bit more thoughtful placement of the colors on the eyes as well as on the lips.
I am really happy to have discovered a way to wear this palette that looks very fresh!  This palette is absolutely unique among the others I own and it is very welcome in my collection.   I have already started to think about depotting and rearranging my Z-Palettes, of course.

What do you think of this one?  I think many of you passed on the limited edition and purchased this one.  Have you had a go at different placements?  I would love to know what worked well for you!

I have a few more bits of the SS collection including the blush* shown in this post to share with you, so please stay tuned. :D

SUQQU is available at Fenwick of Bond Street, Harrods, Selfridges and Selfridges on line. This quad is available now on Selfridges (here). My friend Sara recently posted a detailed review here.  Many thanks to SUQQU from sending me this palette to try out.

Disclosure: this post features a products(*) that was sent free of charge by the brand/PR for consideration. However, all my opinions are my own! Yes indeed! Please check out my full disclosure policy statement here.

31 comments :

  1. As someone who's spent months wracking her brain about what colors would play nicely together, I can really appreciate the notion of a brand that does the work for you! Adore that orange shadow on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah! HELLO BUNIKINS! For me there is a fine line between perfect (a beautifully composed quad) and too many choices (like a mega eye shadow palette). I almost ruined my brain trying to figure out how to place just these four shades! hehe.

      Delete
  2. the orange tones in this palette look so flattering on you! I really enjoyed both looks on you but that first look was my favorite! Almost like a sultry/grunge orange based eyelook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. these shades are very beautiful. thank you so much, Maeve! I loved branching out into orange with this palette.

      Delete
  3. It looks so fresh and glowing on you! Well worth wrangling with the placement :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wrangle, wrestle and wrack! *huff huff* I am exhausted. ;)

      Delete
  4. I have been perplexed with this palette, too. The orange is in the bottom right which is always the base shade in Suqqu palettes. It is too easy to overdo unlike most Suqqu palettes where you can layer and layer and still look slightly underdone and elegantly refined. I ended up doing something similar to what you did in your second attempt and although it's good, I'm not totally comfortable. Maybe too much color? I must be a dull girl. I would love to see how Suqqu thinks this palette should be used. Do they have any diagrams for recommended placement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did a placement guideline for #19 (which I don't have) http://www.suqqu.com/global/news/news_201502/images/popup_img04.jpg

      They DID do a video for #18 on their channel on YT. Did you see that? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdLEwpCaIyQ
      In it, they also used the orange as a main shade and they layered the shades (which I didn't really do). I do think that this one has a LOT stronger pigmentation than many others quads that it is easier to over-do. Try the placement in the video and let me know if that works for you.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Belly, the video was very helpful. :) Placing the brown near the lashline over the orange softens the look considerably; the orange is not right next to my lashline which apparently is not a good placement for my eye and lid shape.

      And, I do appreciate Auxillary Beauty's comment, too, about not trying to make the colors look natural and to embrace the oddness of it. So true!

      Delete
    3. :) glad that the video was helpful. Even if their placements don't always work on my eye shape, I love seeing their work in action!

      Delete
  5. I definitely take 2 way better, the Orange shade is fresh but I agree that you need to apply it carefully. Between the two I would gravitate towards Sakuraori more cos I'm a sucker for bright shades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the LE is easier to use just because it has such subtle shades, but for freshness and impact, I agree. Sakuraori is really beautiful in that way!

      Delete
  6. That dark brown shade reminds me of Fudge by Addiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! There does seem to be a resemblance to Fudge. Though the Addiction ME formula is much denser and richer than the SUQQU ones typically. Fudge is definitely one of their standout colors.

      Delete
  7. I love look #2! The orange pops off your skin tone so prettily. I think that with a shade like this, there's no point in trying to make it look natural, and you might as well embrace the oddness of it. That dark peach color seems to be popular for eyes this spring; I saw a very similar shade in the NARS St-Paul-de-Vence eyeshadow duo. Alas, I don't think I could ever do orange on my eyes. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #2 is a placement that really works with (and not hides) the orange and you are so right. There's no reason to hide the orange but rather embrace that oddness! I guess with all the relative YELLOW in my skin tone, the orange is doable. I'm surprised how pretty it looks.

      Delete
  8. Just today I watched a video on suqqu global youtube channel where they use this palette. When I see one of their videos my mind is blown away by how these shadows can cahnge when layered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw that video, too Nuria! That model is just gorgeous beyond words. In any case, I did like how they used the white-pink shade all over the lids and in a sweep of an inverted "C" from the upper to lower lid to brighten. I will need to try that, too.

      Delete
  9. LOVE EET!! Gonna have to steal your Look 2! My first try with this quad looked like a version of your Look 1, and the orange was very coppery on me, and really much more dramatic than I had hoped for that particular day. Since then I've been waiting for a more dressed up occasion to use the quad, but I think Look 2 would be wonderful for a fresh casual look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHEN YOU GONNA POST IT ON YOUR FACE, NOODLIES?! The coppery sheen on the shade is very intense. I think like the comment above, it can be way dramatic.

      Delete
  10. These SUQQU palettes really are very interesting... and i think this palette is the best of the lot this SS15. But i'm still on the fence about buying moar SUQQU.... arrrggghhh your look 2 isn't helping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is the best of the three this collection too. But since observing with STEALTH & GOOD STRONG WILL on Sara's post on 19, I feel my resolve starting to weaken no not buying the 19 as well.
      I think this has a level of pigmentation a lot of people would find more usuable that the LE one. Yup yup. Nods. I *think* you would be really pleased with this one as well, LINDA. :D

      Delete
  11. Belleh, Happy super belated birthday! 42 is a rather magical numbah; 'tis the answer to the ultimate question of life, universe, and errythang, at least according to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. ;D

    I am not usually this nosy about private matters of others but a question begs to be asked: are the orange eyeshadow and brown liner romantically involved? Hopefully the answer is no because the more suitable partner is the liner in black, a strong and independent color that can provide structure for this particularly tricksie shade of orange! In fact, any liner in navy blue, dark green, and royal purple would fare better in the relationship than brown. I mean, the beauty of your Take 2 should be convincing enough for the orange and brown to consciously uncouple. And rather than wallow in ice cream and cake, the brown liner might want to lighten its post-breakup blues with the pink, which you always look fabulous in,...OR...do a ménage-à-trois with the snow white! :)

    -Josie, a Dear Abby imposter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deeeeeear Josie / Abby,
      How fare you these days with the artic freeze settling over us comfortably. I just want to bundle myself with hefty knits, eat up something warm and soupy and contemplate 42 / LIFE.

      YOU MAKE SUCH A GOOD OBSERVATION. The brown is not the best enhancement as a lash line intensifier. I found the black eye line much more suitable companion to the orange AND the pink.

      42 - meaning of life.

      Delete
    2. Blanket fort with the bubble cheeked little bellies! But hey, at least your red-headed alter ego is faring better than the both of us! Due to the freeze, My BF has upgraded his skincare regime to using my products. >:O! After application last night, he casually asked why my face cream is so small...turned out he was using the La Mer eye concentrate! Merde! - Josie

      Delete
  12. Darn it, now I need this one too. You make everything look so good. If I only saw this on Suqqu's youtube channel I would of passed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see it up on their channel, too? :) I don't have 19. Do I need 19?

      Delete
  13. You rocked this palette Jane! Orange really does look lovely on you. BTW, yes...you need 19!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) thank you Liz! (for the nice compliment. not the shove for 19!) hehe.

      Delete
  14. I bought this palette this week and pretty much copied the exact look at the promotional image with the orange as the main then pink as the crease and brown along the lash line with the palest colour as the highlights and find it looks super flattering as my skin tone as similar to the woman in the promotion - as in more tanner than fair. I find that this might look better on slightly darker skin tones than lighter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Mookxi! :) I'm glad to hear you are liking this palette. It is unusually bright & vibrant for the brand, but I like that of the Spring releases, there is something that would work equally well on deeper skin tones as well as the light.

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...