Monday, February 16, 2015

SUQQU Blend Color Eye Shadow in Haruhinata EX-25

>>the product featured in this post was provided free of charge by the brand/pr for my consideration<<

SUQQU's Spring / Summer 2015 Collection is inspired by the airy texture and feel of chiffon.  The items in the collection feature alluring bright shades and mimic the way sheer panels of soft chiffon float about and combine in soft layers.  I was fortunate to receive a few pieces from the brand to try them out.

Here's the limited edition eye shadow quad EX-25 Haruhinata, the Balancing Cheeks in 03 Yawakohaku and 18 Sukuraori, one of the two permanent quads from this collection.
Today I am featuring the limited edition quad from this collection, EX-25 Haruhinata.
Haruhinata has a very appealing candy-like look to the yellow, peach and pink shades.  They remind me of the Necco Sweethearts candy you'd (okay, I) eat and overdose on Valentine's Day.
source: here
I think based on knowing this collection's inspiration of chiffon, I was expecting some sheer translucent colors and that was the case.  What looks like bright candy in the pan apply on the skin as light draping of glowing color for the three light colors in the quad.

Here are swatches, clockwise from the top left of the quad:
  • Pale lemony yellow with scattered light yellow shimmer.  This one, though pretty sheer, shows up quite well due to the strength of the shimmer.
  • Pale peach shade with satiny pale golden shimmer.  This one is quite close in depth to my own skin and apart from the swatches, doesn't show up on its own on my skin.  For reference, I'm ~NC15-20.  
  • An orchid pink, with a lovely pale golden sheen that shows up more as I angle my arm.
  • A shimmery, medium pigmentation cool brown.  This one is really beautiful.  Of course I'm keen on the one neutral in the palette.  *smacks forehead*  It actually has a beautiful set of cool toned shimmers (greens, silver, etc) that gives a beautiful complexity to this shade.

One of the aspects that makes this palette of candy shades so wearable is that even though they look so pastel, the yellow, peach and orchid pink are not white based.  Its translucency allows the skin to show through with a glow that can be very beautiful on the skin.  And that lovely brown does add to the definition of the eyes.

The unfortunate thing for me is that since the peach is so close in tone and depth to my skin tone as I mentioned earlier, it only works to add a smoothly illuminated glow to my skin and not really any color.  The yellow has to be used very sparingly because the intense shimmer can quickly overtake a look.  So for me, the working shades of this quad are that pretty orchid pink and the brown.

In any case, I thought you would also be interested in seeing the shades layered together.  My skin masterfully desaturates everything into TAUPE. >:(  What the hell?  
As I was playing with Haruhinata EX-25, I kept on thinking that I've seen these colors from SUQQU before.  As yes, the infamous octet from the recent EX-21 Murasakusuishou (here).  Well with eight shades it is probably close to a bunch of other palettes, wouldn't you think?
While not dupes, exactly, kind of close enough, right?  I also think that the two quads have similar sheen when applied on the skin as well as a similar level of less intense pigmentation.
Let me show you how Haruhinata EX-25 looks on me.
Very subtle, indeed.
Rest of products on my face:
  • Tom Ford Traceless Foundation Stick in 02 Pale Dune, Rouge Bunny Rouge Impalpable Loose Finishing Powder, Surratt concealer 04*
  • SUQQU brow powder and pen in Moss Green, SUQQU Haruhinata EX-25*, Tom Ford pencil in Espresso, Lancome Hypnose Drama WP mascara
  • SUQQU Balancing Cheeks in Yawakohaku 03*
  • SUQQU Bright Up Lipstick in 03 Barairo


While Haruhinata is a beautifully composed palette of pretty soft shades, I don't think it is a complete must for me based on the fact that I already own Murasakisuishou.  I am however, very glad to own that brown. <--- it's not like I'm low on brown eye shadows.
What do you think?  Have you checked out the new SS 15 releases from SUQQU?  Any of the products catching your eye?  I hope to feature 18 Sakuraori and the blush Yawakohaku soon, too.

SUQQU is available at Fenwick of Bond Street, Harrods, Selfridges and Selfridges on line.  This quad is available now on Selfridges (here).  My friend Sara recently posted a detailed review here.

Disclosure: this post features a products(*) that was sent free of charge by the brand/PR for consideration.  However, all my opinions are my own!  Yes indeed!  Please check out my full disclosure policy statement here.

16 comments :

  1. Thank you, Belly. I thought I saw some of these colors before. There is something elegant about Suqqu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) thanks for coming by to comment! SUQQU does elegant colors like no other, that's for sure.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you, this one is almost the same as the Murasakusuishou palette -- do you use the peach shade as base then? Looking forward to the other two items!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did use it as a base as it was nearly invisible on my skin, sadly! It does bear some resemblance to Murasakisuishou!! My 18 Sakuraori is really very vibrant and a very different effect than this one. Working on that post now.

      Delete
  3. Great eye for spotting the dupes! I have EX-25 and it's the first Suqqu palette I am considering purging. It falls flat on me, and the cool brown shade is unflattering on my warm face. But I like that taupe effect you got from layering... I must try that. Will you try the blue palette, 19? Say yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >:( Heyyyy, I know who you are. We don't like bloos very much, you know.

      Delete
  4. stunning collection for spring! I actually really like how it looked with all of the shades layered; vaguely taupe but with a lot of dimension!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maeve, did you ever see the promo pictures for this collection prior to seeing product pictures? I am always amazed at how the promo pics always fail to show the beauty of these things. Not that they always work for me (as is the case here, too many pale shades that don't show up fully on my skin), but they are always beautifully composed and so elegant.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this review! I thankfully passed on this LE as spring palettes tend to be pastel and don't show up well on my medium skin. I got #18 instead because sometimes I wish the peach in #5 and #11 showed up more. Well, I got what i wanted...but oddly enough for a Suqqu product, the peach is a bit too dark. It's darker than the peach in Shiseido's Beach Grass palette, which is a really beautiful palette. But it can be toned down with the lighter shades so I guess it's fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! 18 is so pigmented and so much more so than EX-25. That's a really great choice and the peach in that quad is super intense. It really does remind me of Beach Grass in overall look to me, too... even though 18 lacks the purple.

      Delete
  6. The look you've created is so fresh, clean and lovely! I was a little stumped at all the soft shades in this palette at first, but they apply like a dream and really does brighten the face. I hadn't made the connection with EX-21 but me think you're right, very close indeed (and good think I skipped on that one then). Cant wait to see what you do with Sakuraori! Still going back and forth on whether to get #19!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noodlies noodlies! Haruhinata is very softly glam & brightening. But I really wish the peach especially showed up a bit more. It is gorgeous in the pan (and in the swatch). Ugh, my eyelids eating up ALLLLL the pigment.

      Are you going to pick up 19? I use RougeDeluxe IG photo and 19 is so beautiful.

      Delete
  7. I really like how this looks on you :) I was tempted by this, such is the lure of limited editions, but went for #19 instead as worried that #25 wouldn't work due to the yellow and peach. I was surprised that the limited edition stuff was still available online, its unheard of from Suqqu! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Clare! I love the looks of #19, but those pale blues (or rather blues in general) are even more challenging than yellowed shades like the ones in EX-25 or 18! I hope SUQQU and its retailers are adjusting the product availability! :) I was totally surprised to see things on the Selfridges website!

      Delete
  8. Oh thanks for that comparison to EX-21!!! NOW I know where I have seen EX-25 before!! I could have sworn i already own this suqqu palette but then i was scratching my head when i went back to look at my quads....! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YUPPP! We've seen these colors before! :D

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...