Friday, January 16, 2015

SUQQU Blend Color Eye Shadow in Yukiichigo EX-22

Sometimes it's good to challenge some long-held "rules" I have.  One is don't wear pink or red around the eyes because... skeery vampire lab rat/rabbit eyes.  It's not like I just arbitrarily came up this rule, because I'm sure at some point I tried on something pinky or red and backed away slowly from the mirror pondering how I was even casting a reflection.  A while back I bought (and then subsequently gotten rid of) Tom Ford Burnished Amber (here).  Now that quad is a stunner with dramatic warm red tones.  For the life of me, each time I put it on, I looked like a deranged rabbit.  Please don't email me that you're looking for it!  I don't have it anymore!

When SUQQU released the Christmas kits this past holiday, the palette in the A set had a startlingly beautiful variety of pinks.  Beautiful as it was, I held fast to my rule until I saw Enabler Kate, I mean Driveller Kate's post on this quad, Yukiichigo (here).  Raise your hand if all sanity goes out the window when you read a Drivel About Frivol post!  *raises both hands* *throws brain out the window*
My goodness, Kate is beyond beautiful wearing those pinks.  No vampire scum rabbit SHE!  When I saw this Christmas set A linger on the Selfridges website, I pounced and ordered.  These kits are nice if you like the cleansing kit they usually include, which is the creamy cleanser and a foaming cleanser.  They are nice for travel, but aren't my preferred cleansers.  Also included was a cute compact of a Creamy Glow Moist lipstick in a re-promoted color Beniaka (original tube version featured here), a very pretty sheer red.
When I first received the palette, I didn't want to use it for a long time.  (Hence is the long hiccup of a delay on this post.  Palette is sadly not around much except eBay)  I was thinking that this palette isn't going to suit me very well.
I now see that the versatility and usability of this palette is the mix in warm and cool for the pinks as well as in the finishes.  These are swatches clockwise from the upper left pan of the palette.

  • lavender tinged and cool pink that is brightly lit by white and light blue shimmer.
  • warm pink, when angled to catch different light has a very distinct shift to its golden shimmer.  Really beautiful shade.
  • a very pale warm satin pink.  While not matte, makes a nice smoothing base on the lids.
  • smooth cream shade that is blowing my mind.  The base color itself is a brown toned burgundy on my skin.  It is overlaid with a very bright glistening golden olive shimmer.  When applied sheerly, the red tones come through, while layered heavily the shimmer almost predominates.
This is my first experience with the SUQQU cream eye shadow in the palettes.  It applies smoothly but I had some trial and error trying to figure out an applicator that worked well.  Not sure I have it down pat, but I'm using a combination of the enclosed sponge applicator to lay down the color and a Shu Uemura 5R kolinsky brush to shape and blend the edges.  I also saw some glitter fallout during the day as well as some noticeable fading at the end of the day.

In terms of the powder shades, they have good medium level pigmentation with the same beautiful texture and blendability that I've come to love from SUQQU.
I'm kind of blown away by just how wearable this palette is!  Probably the hardest thing was figuring out what other pinks to throw on my face.  Intensely feminine and nuanced in every way, it is a beauty.
While probably not something I would wear all the time (the intense shimmer in the cream, et cetera), I wore this a LOT during the holidays.  If I had an excuse to glam up, like say taking out the garbage or doing the laundry, I put this on.
Other products worn:
base - Tom Ford Traceless Foundation Stick in 02 Pale Dune, Rouge Bunny Rouge Impalpable Finishing powder, Surratt concealer, Guerlain Meteorites Perles 01
eyes/brows - SUQQU balancing brow powder in Moss Green, SUQQU gel liner in Jet Bordeaux, Lancome Hypnose Drama WP mascara, SUQQU Yukiichigo
blush/lips - THREE blush 20, Visée Creamy Lipstick in PK804 (LE, DC) formula featured here.

While introduced as a holiday item, I think I will also enjoy the fresh colors this Spring, too.  It's really cold here.  I'm looking forward to Spring already and I'm pretty sure Winter just started.

How are pinks for you?

48 comments :

  1. Hey Belly whoaaaaa I didn't have high expectations for this one when I saw the pictures, but ON YOU? Man, it's stunning! I can do SOME pink, but it's usually not something I actively reach for. The fact that I wear quite some liner helps reduce the rabbit eye syndrome tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, some wacky color combination that looks so RIGHT when on. I do the liner thing, too for difficult colors! Really a dense black cat eye does do a nice job distracting the attention away from difficult eye shadow shades. :D

      Delete
  2. That's it, I'm not even going to comment on these SUQQU palette posts anymore, they too pretty!!! And your face!!! *smooshes*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *SMOOSH BACK*
      I really can not say no to most of these palettes. Though, I've had some duds every once in a while, truly they are my favorite brand for the most amazing eye shadow color/formula!

      Delete
  3. Oh. So. Pretty. Actually, it's almost criminal how pretty this is.
    And you should wear pink more often, even if it's just this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, rachlovespenguins! Maybe I press my luck with some more pinks. I *would* like a matte pink at some point.

      Delete
  4. You are ready for Spring......that is a spring look......Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks! It is very spring-like, but the glitter is a bit bling bling.

      Delete
  5. damn, this only perpetuates my desire for it to be spring! I'm usually someone who grumbles off to the side about collections coming out too early...but I could use some spring colors right about now. AND HOW GORGEOUS DOES THAT LOOK ON YOU??? love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it were a bit toastier and less snowy, too. Spring time won't come soon enough, but HEY, at least all the Spring makeup collection are dribbling out now, right?

      Delete
  6. I told Kate that mid-golden pink is worth the price of the palette alone! I want to wear that shade all over my FACE!! (aka as blush, lip color, eye shadow, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT is one spectacular pink! I have to say though, it's all the three pinks that are so distinct from each other and that punch from the gorgeous cream shade that makes this a spectacular palette. I don't mind the fall out too much. :)

      Delete
  7. I think you look stunning with this! Of course you can wear it everyday ;) I think I need to not go to London for a while, as my Suqqu wish list is starting to get way too long lol don't think I've ever read a negative review on the brand! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need pink & glitter everyday, no? Maybe letting us loose on a SUQQU counter would be a little bit like unleashing the lions on lambs. Any particular product you are keen on checking out, Ellie?

      Delete
  8. Kate is the ultimate enabler (her post worked on me, too)! I keep opening up mine and looking at it, and grinning ridiculously at all the sparkles. It's my preciousss.

    That lipstick is just perfect, and the whole look is so spring-like and pretty on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Oh yes! I spent a lot of time opening it, grinning like a fool, and closing it, too!!! Did you like the red compact lipstick, too? It is a very lovely red.

      Delete
    2. Heh, good to know I wasn't the only one doing that! :D

      Ah, I haven't tried it yet. I have a vicious cycle going on with the lipstick; keep reminding myself to try it during the work day, and then forgetting all about it when I'm at home!! It does look pretty though, and I'm very fond of sheer, glossy reds, so I can't see myself not liking this one when I eventually wear it.

      Delete
    3. :) well, we have a good excuse bc PRETTEE.

      I am trying to make myself to reapply during the day but... have problem with teh lazy.

      Delete
  9. I was going to skip until I saw Kate's post too haha. This palette looks stunning on you and that lipstick colour is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness the palette was still in stock for a bit longer! I love the Visee creamy formula, it is very very lovely, indeed. Such a punchy pink!

      Delete
  10. Wow this is beautiful on you! I completely missed out on this. Oh well. I'll admire it on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing the SUQQU hits generally keep on coming. :) I have some hazy regrets over LE's and Christmas kits I've bypassed from a long time ago, but then they keep coming out with moar things.

      Delete
  11. Oh this is surely my biggest 'one that got away' in recent memory. You look ethereal with the fresh pink and purples!! Also love that pink lip you've paired with it! I'm still very much enamored with pinks for the eyes, and while I hate it when spring in TW marks the beginning of hot humid sauna weather, can never not love all the pink inspired makeup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh noodlies, I can imagine living the sauna life in TW must be challenging for makeup wearing! At least NY occasionally has bright, sunny dry days which are so delightful. Honestly, when it is hot around here, I tend to go much more minimal & simple for makeup.
      I really WAS not going to buy this and declared it. Of course, right after then I saw Kate's post and then it was all BYE BYE MONIES, right there.

      Delete
  12. God, I remember this thing. I wanted it JUST for that stupid purple cream shadow. I still lust after it, but I know I wouldn't get much wear out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the bling factor of the cream shade would be gorgeous on you, Renee! It's like a Chanel Id'O but more base color, I think.

      Delete
  13. Omg belleh!
    You looks gorgeous, breathtakingly so! You make me sad I passed on the Christmas set. I had my doubts that the cream shadow would work for me. (Btw how do you like Shu cream shadows in a pan? Because that's the only cream shadow I have to compare against).
    UGH and for the longest time I thought the cream was olive bronze but it's actually burgundy! Ahhh!
    Kate looks so gorgeous in everything she posts I can't judge how well something will work on me by looking at her. Not that any of that has stopped me from combing through her blog and wanting to track down every other thing she likes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aksaiyo! How are things in the makeup wonderland? I keep on missing your old comments. How are you liking Toutouseki? Yeah the peach in that and Himesango are very different. TT is very orange.
      I never used the Shu cream, so can't say. Have you tried the Shiseido creams? I think the Shiseido feels even more light, silicone-slippy than the SUQQU to me. The cream is burgundy with a olive shimmer. It is crazy pretty in person, though it does fade & fall out a bit for me.
      Kate has that amazing skin that amplifies all the color. I have the opposite effect where most things desaturate on my skin. I love Kate's blog as UBER reference, but always have to do a bit of mental calculus based on how my own skin works.

      Delete
  14. When did you rename the blog, Belly?!!!? ps - looking fresh x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <__< what name change? I don't know what u talkin' about Willis. ;)

      Delete
    2. You sneaky trickster! And either your mind is in the gutter, or mine is, haha x

      Delete
    3. Hmm, we can say both are? ;)

      Delete
  15. Hi Belly, this is a stunner on you! OMG, it's really feminine and oh so pretty. I know I can't pull off pinks because they simply don't show up on me. I'm glad you risked getting this one because it's gorg! on you. And that cream shade! *swoons*. Btw, I'm Carlyn *waves*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carlyn!!! *waves* *waves*
      Thank you so much! I can't believe just how oddly wearable this quad is on me. I'm glad SUQQU makes it fun to take chances every once in a while with things I don't (or can't) normally wear. :) Do you think you have any Spring you might take the plunge with?

      xoxo

      Delete
  16. Ohhhh i can't go on another unicorn hunt!! But eeettss pweeetttyyyy.........gah!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      Did you get the other kit and not this one? :) DONT WORRIES, they are always releasing one unicorn after another. Best to bide time and spring for those.

      Delete
  17. BEAUTIFUL BELLY! GOOD LORD.
    And your skin. YOUR SKIN IS GLOWWWW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D YAH! that tom ford foundation is very agreeable on me! :D :D

      Delete
  18. That looks so beautiful on you! I mean, you always look lovely, but that combination--the eyeshadows + lipstick color + blush--is really gorgeous. I hope you were able to wear it out to exciting places like the garbage and laundry often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, SoSuSam! Thankfully, I have so many opportunities for scrubbing toilets, wiping counters, et cetera that I can see myself wearing this on many occasions!

      Delete
  19. Yes to what everyone else said above! How nice it is to jump outside of our comfort zones and be rewarded. These are 100% YOUR pinks! Wooohoo for unexpected treasures :D

    Also am extremely jealous of your perfect skin. Tell me your secrets Bellehhhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOOHOO FOR PINK EYE! I mean, WOOHOO FOR PINKEYE. I mean... ?

      Extra moar, even more and then even some more hydration and hydration masks, etc. Otherwise, I am a terrible pile of flakes. Also HABA vitamin C stuffs and Pixi Glow tonic for glycolic acid based exfoliation.

      Delete
  20. That cream shade is mind blowing all right. What a gorgeous colour and babe you rocked that palette. Such a fresh and pretty look. Darn it, you are making me want it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Yes the cream is just so gagagagaggorgeous!

      Delete
  21. that cream is amazing!! and the palette just looks amazing on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh my god, it's march and i'm still haunted by this palette. you're not helping, here. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...