Thursday, January 22, 2015

Oh Canada (Squirrel) to Canada (Squirrel) in Pictures and Words

You know what I am totally obsessing with these days?  Not just fancy brushes, but fancy Canadian squirrel brushes in particular.  My first foray into this type of hair brush was when I got my rodent paws on the Koyudo Canadian squirrel cheek brush release.  I posted (here) about how different hair types actually DO make a difference in application and from then on, it really stuck in my head about how efficient these Canadian squirrel  tools are.

Of my Surratt Artistique brush purchases (here), one stand out was the Classic Eye Shadow brush in medium, also of that hair type.  I continued to be blown away by what a great all purpose eye brush that sucker is.  And being impressed SO much, last week I ended up also purchasing the Small and Large sized Classic Eye Brushes. 

Surratt Classic Eye Brush S, M, L
Looking to diversify into different brands for this hair type, I also picked up from Chikuhodo the Artist Red eye brushes 12-5 and 6-6.  They are much more reasonably priced than Surratt, and in my experience with other Artist Reds, very good in quality.  (I prefer the stumpy red handles, but they also come in the longer black handles).
From left to Right: Chikuhodo Artist Red 12-5, Surratt L, 6-6, M, 6-1, S
I'm cheating for symmetry sake in the above picture.  The 6-1 is kolinsky not Canadian Squirrel. :>

Aside from saying I like the brushes from both brands, I'm not ready to give any in depth opinions, but thought some pictures would be helpful if you would like a good look at the Surratt with the Chikuhodo.  I'm guessing Chikuhodo manufactures the Surratt, so take that for what it is worth.

The Big Boys (har har!  Which is funny considering how dinky the Artist Reds are!):
Top to bottom: Surratt L, Chikuhodo Artist Red 12-5 
Size-wise, the brush heads are pretty darn close in size.  The only difference (hard to tell in these crap phone photos) is that the tip of the Surratt has a small pointed taper.  In function, they perform identically to me.  No side view pictures, but the density & thickness seems about the same to me.

The Middle Siblings:
Top to bottom: Surratt M, Chikuhodo 6-6
The brush head of the Surratt is slightly wider, but density, thickness and shape-wise they both look pretty darn close.

The Babies:
As I mentioned in the family photo above, I don't have a teeny tiny Canadian Squirrel equivalent to the Surratt small.  So willy-nilly, I threw in some other similar-ish looking brushes.  Turns out, the shape of the Surratt small head is unique among my dinky babies.
Top to bottom: Hakuhodo K005, Chikuhodo Artist Red 6-1, 2-3, Surratt Classic Eye Small
Obviously, apart from different materials,the head is longer and because of the longer hairs and diminitive size, the Surratt is a little floppy (not floppy grey squirrel floppy).

I hope to share soon my thought noodles more fully on my OTHER Surratt brushes.  But hope these are helpful for anyone looking for picture comparisons and pondering purchases.

I bought my Chikuhodo from visageusa.  They ship from Japan and have a broad assortment of Chikuhodo available.  Their shipping time is long (up to several weeks).  My Surratt was purchased in person at Barney's New York.

Speaking of Canadian Squirrely Rodenty goodness, now I have lustful thoughts of the no longer available Chikuhodo Kiwami set, the absolute ne plus ultra of luxury in brushes.  Sonia from Sweet Makeup Temptations kindly reviewed in depth here.

Brush musings (obsessing) that you are having these days?

18 comments :

  1. Ooh, I'm so glad you posted this! I have been contemplating a Chiku purchase, and I have a couple of the Artist Canadian squirrel brushes in my cart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emi, those artist ones are really wonderful for price in quality and function. I think you will love them!

      Delete
  2. Haha that is such a specific obsession! I knew if anyone would have it, it'd be you! I don't think I own anything squirrel! Naturally I'd love to at some point, but for the moment I don't own anything so fancy fancy. I have, however, noticed that the better quality a brush is, the more Tango the cat is obsessed with it. By presenting him with a brush, I can gauge from his reaction whether it's synthetic or animal, and just how great it is :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Tango know's where it's at :D How cute.

      Delete
    2. I've heard about many kitties and their singular obsession with FANCEH BRUSHES! :) Cute Tango!

      Delete
  3. Yep, yep, yep! Nodding along to your praises of these thingies! I think every person who is into nice brushes must own at least one Canadian Squirrel brush :D I really love the look of your stumpy red babies! I know some people prefer longer handles but I love the look of stumpy brushes and find them quite comfortable to use personally (although I rarely do other people's makeup, that may be more complicated haha!) One of my recent additions with this hair has been the Haku G5527, kind of a weird looking kid. I LOVE him, super dense and soft soft soft, makes blending out the edges of my eyeshadow an extremely pleasant experience. Everybody keeps tempting me with Surratt. Damn you temptresses! I need one of those pretty things in my life. I was thinking about the M, but now I see how close it is to my little Chiku one you have there. Do you prefer one over the other Belly? TIA! :)

    Oh and as for Kiwami... I am still keeping hope. Forever is a very long time, and Chiku knows quite a few of us out there are still interested. Maybe for some special occasion, after they've had the chance to refill their supplies... Maybe. When the time comes I will be prepared, and (hopefully!) no longer a student :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course with you & Carlyn mentioning the Haku G5527, I had to take a look at it on the site. That is such a weird looking brush! I love that tapered tip and it looks like it would make an excellent brush for blending out the edges as you say! SPEAKING OF TEMPTRESS, *holds up mirror*!

      Kiwami. pine pine pine pine pine.

      Delete
    2. No Belly, not Pine, Canadiannnnnnnnnn (lol, I had to.)

      Delete
    3. ;P If that was not a brush geek joke, I don't know what is!

      Delete
  4. Hmmm... maybe I should scavenge the yards and parks for all the stray squirrel hairs and whittle brush handles at home. I had no idea Canadian squirrels had anything to do with makeup brushes. O___O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I see a fat local squirrel waffling through my back yard, I do give that guy the side eye. <___< If I were in Canada, I would look at him a little closer. <_______________________<

      Isn't it amazing how such weird little details end up being a part of brushes?

      Different kinds of weasels, cat, squirrel, all sorts of grades of goat, etc etc.

      Delete
  5. Omigosh Belly, thanks so much for this review. I'm also a huge Canadian squirrel fan and I've been waiting for your pics. I have a few CS brushes so I think the small Surratt is the only one which will be unique to my collection. My wallet thanks you😊. The other CS brush is the Haku G5527 that Cat is talking about. I've debated getting this, but in the end I will, if only for for it's shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't figure out how to post all the pictures on IG, so I'm glad you caught this, Carlyn! :)
      That Haku must be mine. MINNNNNNE. That looks very unique.

      Delete
  6. Canadian squirrels scratching their heads and talking among themselves....."why does Wonderdong want our fur? We must hide just as we hide our acorns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *snort*
      >__>
      "here skwerl. I got nuts for you*

      Delete
  7. Hey Belly-just to confirm, is the large Surratt 100% Canadian squirrel and not pine squirrel? Also, what is the degree of softness on this brush?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya, I had the "Canadian Pine Squirrel" confusion, but I've then heard later it is Canadian squirrel. And comparing the Surratt to the Chikuhodo, which are Canadian Squirrel, they seem almost like twins.

      In terms of softness, I like this hair particularly in that it combines both softness with a bit of firmness & spring. It is very soft, thought not as soft as a grey squirrel, but it is very gentle on the skin.

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...