Sunday, December 14, 2014

Tom Ford Traceless Foundation Stick

The Traceless Foundation Stick is one of two original foundations offered by the brand when it launched and it was one of the first items I purchased from the brand (along with the Ravish blush and the Cream Foundation brush ).
With my skin becoming drier (for an oiler person) and more sensitive with the cold weather, I ended up repurchasing this foundation, but in a paler shade than my first purchase, in Pale Dune.  I didn't get a sample at the counter to validate my color choices, but made sure to swatch huge strips on my lower cheek into my jawline and into my neck to make sure.  It was between 02 Pale Dune and 03 Fawn, and double checking with my friend from thepaintedapron on Instagram, I ended up with Pale Dune.  I think depth wise, the shades are similar, but Pale Dune was more yellow and Fawn more neutral.

This is a fuller coverage foundation with a very dewy finish.  It feels rich and emollient, but doesn't end up making me feel like an oil slick.  On my current state of the skin (dry and sensitized, prone to flakes), it is a great match in formulation.  For such a fuller coverage formula, it still feels very light on my skin.

One con is that it doesn't completely set and can transfer if swiped and pressed upon.  For that reason, I generally set with a loose powder (I've been really enjoying the Rouge Bunny Rouge one).
Here are some color comparisons if you are like me, something around NC15-20.
(links to some of the above foundations: Addiction Tinted Skin Protector, SUQQU Frame Fix Cream Foundation, Chantecaille Future Skin (here, here))

With Pale Dune, I was using my Tom Ford Cream Foundation brush, but was unhappy with the application finish.  Since the formula of this foundation is so creamy, I felt the bristles left streaks which required further buffing, which was irritating my more sensitive skin.

dry
dampened and given a good squeeze on a towel
Ah!  Beauty Blender to the rescue!  When thoroughly moistened and squeezed out of excess water (I blot and gently squeeze with a towel), it expands into a very soft and cushiony pillow.  Gentle bouncing of the sponge onto the skin yielded a really flawless and beautiful finish.

You've seen my naked face many times before.  Here it is again.  I got brow stuff on.
To use the Tom Ford Foundation Stick, I swipe the stick directly onto my face like so:
You can be judicious with product application, but the Beauty Blender tends to sheer out the coverage a bit.  "Boing Boing Boing."  The smaller tapered end of the BB is excellent for areas like around the nose and under the eyes.
THE color match: perfect match to my neck.  Great yellow tones that doesn't run orange or too, too warm.
And how it looks close up on the skin (with no setting with powder).
No mask!  Just skin!
It is a portable stick, with a great lustrous finish and a coverage level that can be layered for full or sheered out considerably.  I can also use additional product to conceal areas requiring concealing.

I'm very happy with this product and even more so the second purchase around.  Using the Beauty Blender has particularly upped the foundation game for me.  What about you?  Do you have a tool + foundation combination that is impressing you these days?  Any re-found old loves to share with us?

22 comments :

  1. You look good even without the makeup

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Belly, you don't even particularly need that foundation on yo face. It looks great though! I've been using my beautyblender a lot too with the Face Atelier Ultra - it sounds a bit similar in texture to your TF foundation stick, quite rich and emollient with good pigmentation that the blender sheers out a little and meshes with the skin well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I look much better with foundation than without. All the evening out is very helpful, especially since just recovering from my cold / flu thing. I look particularly wrecked.
      I heard the Face Atelier foundation is excellent, too. Beauty Blender gives such a nice finished look to the skin. I'm glad you like it, too.

      Delete
  3. Hi Belly,
    I have one of that, somehow didn't work all that well with my dry skin. I might try your boing boing method though, maybe wet the Beauty Blender a little, as you suggested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think for truly dry people (not just dry in the winter types like me), it doesn't seem moisturizing enough. My friend, who is Sahara dry, will use this in the summer time, but not in the winter. In any case, the application with the BB does give a very nice finish. I like it that it is not dislogding the flakes I have all over my face. :)

      Delete
  4. Belly,

    Anonymous clam pizza reporting in here. What primer do you use along with the TF foundation stick?

    -Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had more clam pizza recently. "twas dreamy.

      I almost never wear any primer as a rule. I have lots of skincare layer on that adding a primer seems like a bit much. Usually, my sunblock acts as my primer. I recently bought the SUQQU makeup base creamy which I am trying out.

      Delete
  5. Ooh, this is a great match! And a great idea - I have a beauty blender now, and maybe I can finally try these fabulous sounding stick foundations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After many decades of really bad foundaiton matches, I think I'm finally zoning in on good matches! Sure took a while. :D
      BB on creamy formulations is really awesome!

      Delete
  6. Looks like a perfect match! I've been testing out so many foundations this year, it's been hard to decide which I love more. It's a close race between the recently picked up Suqqu, a Mikimoto and one of EL's more premium (and way pricy, so still debating purchase) foundations, all three care cream liquid formulas, which I'll probably not be able to wear once summer rolls around again. Been mostly spreading/buffing my foundy with a dense domed brush then pressing with a sponge to perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the match is looking really good! I like that I don't need to mix this with any other color for the match.

      Which SUQQU did you pick up, noodles? ANd what is the premium EL one?

      Delete
  7. Wow, I love LOVE the finish! So much like flawless skin! I love the tone, it's a great light yellow. I'm pretty much the same shade as you! Thanks so much for the swatches to compare! My friend is sending me some addiction products and I had to search around forever for swatches and reviews on how the shades are like for their face products :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Sharlynn! What are you trying out from Addiction? So many nice things in the line!

      Delete
  8. Hey, BeautyBelleh! (Branny, here--ssshhh! don't tell!)

    Good gawd, woman, I don't know whether to be happy--for your fabulous match & beautiful skin/face, or bugged--because I've stoically resisted trying this product. I feel my resolve wavering! Fortunately, any remaining monies in my account must be thrown willy-nilly at the whole holiday gifting process, so I'm safe... for now. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BRANNEH, people don't need Christmas presents. You need moar foundation? No? Wait... I think I'm getting it backwards. Uh oh.
      If you have dry skin, you can buy it in the Spring / Summer (you know, when your wallet has recovered) and spring for it then. It's a lovely foundation, I am really liking it.

      Delete
  9. I had the same experience with the TF foundation stick. I first bought it (sight unseen; I live far, far, faaaar from civilization aka cosmetics counters) in Fawn and thought it was too dark, tho later decided it was mainly the undertone that was wrong. So I bit the bullet and bought it a second time in Pale Dune, and the color is perfect for my NC15-20 skin. This time around, I apologized to my bank account and bought the TF cream foundation brush, too, thinking it would be the magical implement for applying this foundation. But no! It left streaks, just like you experienced. So I, too, moved on to the Beauty Blender and have lived happily ever after. Seriously, tho, the foundation is wonderful, and so is the color. It looks phenomenal on you, and it also works on my very dry skin. I prep my skin carefully: I exfoliate daily (glycolic acid toner) and use oils and creams to soothe the dryness, so that when I finally apply this foundation, it works just fine. I also love the original liquid foundation in Pale Dune. Have you tried it? They work well together, using the stick as a sort of concealer for areas that need more coverage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg, SoSuSam, we are skin twins! :D And we had the same experience and bought the same thing twice! And speaking of prep, I do very similar in terms of all the skincare prior to application of the foundation (glycolic acid toner, lots of moisturizing layers). I also heard the liquid is excellent and good for sheerer coverage! Not tried it yet because now I seem to have doubles of many foundations and only one face to use them on! D:

      Delete
  10. It looks lovely on you and good color match! I have dry skin but in general I try to avoid stick foundation, like you said it just kinda.. sits on top/not sinks in. Maybe I should try it with Beauty Blender.

    Speaking of stick foundation, I had a horrible experience: back in the day when I did wear foundation stick (it was BB), I went home in a jam-packed, rush-hour Metro in Paris, we were literally packed like sardines. This guy had to squeeze his way out and his black winter coat swiped clean half of my face and along with it my foundation!! Literally, half of my face was printed on his coat. I just watched in horror from behind and hoped he wouldn't have to pay pretty penny to dry-clean his coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the now discontinued Shu Uemura Nobara stick and thought it was just so so. Now I see I probably should have used the BB then!

      :D You FACE is on his coat! LOL! Well, it wasn't your fault, but yeah, those foundations that don't set completely can I guess do that. Reminds me when my little one was little and we were living in Seoul, we were walking through a very touristy (wall to wall people) place and she was holding a frozen yogurt cone. A woman walking in front of her abruptly stopped and then kid smeared frozen yogurt all on that woman's butt.

      Delete
  11. Oh! That really does look flawless on you, Belly! I'm going to have a play with some of my foundations... right now i'm just desperately trying to finish up my Oleo-pact so I can victoriously announce I finished something this year.

    And i'm LOLOL-ing at the face on coat / yogurt on butt conversation just above...!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks amazing on you but your skin is already amazing! Just wondering if it has a scent, lemming killed if it has one.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...