Wednesday, December 10, 2014

I've Been Smoten with Plague upon My Belly

I really did not mean to be gone so long from the blog.  Afterall, I've recently declared a blogapalooza of sorts.  I've also been mostly gone from Twitter and Instagram, too.

Reason being.

A plague falls upon on the house.

I don't know why this is the case, but any time our family is preparing for a big event like a vacation, a party or something, the kids immediately get sick.  It has become so predictable that when we went to Disney World last year, we didn't tell them until the night before the flight which lead to dropped jaws but no illness!

For Thanksgiving, among my mother, sister and myself, we divided up various cooking tasks and planned on converging at my mom's house to cook the meal.  The night before, my youngest started to become listless and full of the grumps.  And then as a coup de grace, finally during the night had all sorts of the barfs.  Needless to say, we didn't make it to our family Thanksgiving gathering.  Sad by product was that we were supposed to bring the main course.  :(

Last week, I was feeling a bit under the weather myself.  Mr. Husband was also feeling a case of the sniffles.  We went out on Friday night with friends, tromping through the cold rain, feeling fortified with drinks and grub.  Maybe going out in the rain was not a great idea.  During the weekend, I got really ill and was mostly immobilized in bed.  When I finally felt better on Sunday evening to crawl out of bed, I baked myself some scones.  Ate a few.  (Don't we always all eat a "few" scones, especially when freshly emerged from the oven?)  Felt pretty good and started to cook some dinner.

Isn't it always some innocuous, mindless thing one does like the opening a drawer or bending down to pick something off the floor when one feels a muffled "pop" sensation in the back?

I felt that "pop" as well a realization in the next split second that something bad was happening.  And then the most horrible pain came.  I've thrown out my back before, but never this bad.  I stood, crumpled over in a contorted angle and then cried.  I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, actually, but this pain just made me cry and cry.

I feel much better now, but every sneeze from my lingering cold/ virus/ flu thing makes me "urg" in pain.

Wah!  Pity Party of One!

Stay warm, dry and healthy this winter, everyone!  I'm hoping to get my posting sorted in some semblance of order and regularity.  Is there a beauty blog version of Metamucil?  Thanks for being around the blog to sniff around for posts & stuff.  You guys are da best.

So!  What's been new & sparkly & eye catchingly beautiful with you?  So many trinkets out for the Holidays.  I'm sure many of you have been splurging.  Share so I can feel a little more like myself.

22 comments :

  1. Oh noes, Belly, I had no idea you were sick! I saw your tweet about the little Belly being poorly, but I didn't know you were also feeling bad! I sort of know what you mean by the family always getting sick when there's a Holiday or vacation looming on the horizon: back in college, my husband would always, always get sick between semesters, and I often get sick a) just before Christmas b) just after Christmas - also with a stomach virus. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this year we'll be fine! Flying between continents when feeling poorly is SO not fun! Anyway... get better soon! I hope your back is on the mend, I'll be sending good vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monika, hope you & husband stay healthy as we approach Christmas! Stomach virus are really the worst. Really.

      Delete
  2. urghhhh. im sick too. throat hurty. mucho love to the belly babies, get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh nooo I'm so sorry to hear that! It's the weather though. The flu is going around and unless you can seal yourself in a bubble, it'll probably eventually get to us :( So sorry you had to miss Thanksgiving!!! I hope you'll all be OK soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( It's been crazy weather here, very damp and wet. Lots of sick people milling about at work and in transit. I feel better today, so hopefully I'm well into being on the mend.

      Delete
  4. A PLAGUE ON BOTH YOUR BELLIES!

    Ahem. What I meant was: I'm so sorry you're sick, and I hope you feel better soon! My last beauty splurge (splurgelet, really) was Face Stockholm Creme Blush in Paris, but I might pink up one of the NARS Audacious lipsticks before too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pick up, that is. Though that was a Freudian slip--I've been going through a pink phase recently...

      Delete
    2. Heehee! Such a good slip, too that is. Thank you, I hope to being back to my normal self soon.

      Those Face Stockholm cream blushes are gorgeous. And the colors of the new Nars lipsticks are mind bogglingly vast and so lovely! I am bummed that there is one for my name same in there, but is an ugly poo brown color. :(

      Delete
    3. Bummer! I was hoping my name would be in there, but unfortunately not even my middle name made the cut. D: Right now I'm thinking about Anna or Natalie.

      Delete
  5. Oh no!! The black plaque of winter time! So sorry to hear about all the sickies.. sending good, healthy vibes to all the Bellies. Yes, this can be a tough time of the year for the little ones, we all have our bouts of maladies as well and still recovering from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like with little ones around, there is always one germ thing rotating in and out of the house. I hope you & family stay nice and healthy this winter, Claire!

      Delete
  6. Aww, sorry that you're not well, Belly! Hope you and your family are feeling better soon. Festive plagues are the worst plagues!

    Concerning sparklies, I went into a rogue state yesterday and bought my first Suqqu, the Ex-22! Willpower -1, Sparkly joy +1. NO REGRETS :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annamaria, your valiant tale of courage in the face of adversity (or sparklies) really makes me feel better. :D

      Delete
  7. Feel better! Holiday illness is a thing in my family as well.
    For shiny stuffs, I was drawn to the Tatcha Friends and Family sale, and then I snagged one of the Tom Ford Lips and Boys colours on cyber Monday. Which has led me to the conclusion that I must own more of these Boys, so now I'm trying to figure out which ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Replenishing good skincare always sounds good. Thanks for your well wishes, R. I think the whole Boys campaign of the Tom Ford mini lipsticks is just so cleverly done. I wouldn't mind having some beautiful Tom Ford Boys in my life. I wish his formula worked on my lips!

      Delete
  8. Oh noes!! I hope you're fully recovered very soon, and that your family is all better now! Keep warm and demand cuddles! As for spluring...I need to be locked up!!! I Suqqu-ed, Chicca-ed, Addiction-ed, Japanese drug stored till I stuffed my luggage full, and still there are tempations awaiting back on home soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Wheee! You were good, or is it, you were BAAAAAD to the bone. Nicely done. Sounds like you made some awesome purchases and hope you share soon on your blog.

      Delete
  9. OMG no! So sorry to hear of all these plagues! The back one must be the worst though, I cannot even imagine that kind of pain... So so sorry Belly :(

    I had to literally drag my BF into a cab and to the ER last month, after he put out his back... sneezing. Yep, that was all it took, herniated disk. I could only stare in horror... Just awful. Please take care, and I hope you feel a lot better very soon. Many big hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :O Oh wow! Your poor bf! Sneezing is quite a strain on the body. That must have been terrible!!!!
      <3

      Delete
  10. I just read this post--a little late!--but I'm hoping you're feeling better by now. You know, if your back is an ongoing problem, you might look into the "functional restoration program" offered at a few hospitals around the country. I did the one at Dartmouth, but Duke offers one, so does a hospital in Boston (can't remember which) and one in Texas. Not sure about NYC. Basically, it takes up a month of your life (SO hard to find time to do something like that) but then you're kinda fixed for life--as long as you keep doing the exercises they taught. Just a thought. I wish you well with the back pain, the flu, the everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i hope you are better by now, ahhh!! <3

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...