Monday, December 29, 2014

Belly Fix It - A MacGyver-Inspired DIY

Sometimes bad things happen to good people.  In my case, bad things happened to good makeup!  I have amassed a nice collection of THREE eye shadow palettes, both quads and duos over the last two years or so.

I mentioned in my post on Mystery Girl (here) that the cream shade in that quad was very dry and difficult to work with.  I originally thought that either that one palette was wonky since the other cream shades in my other palettes were all silky and easy to work with.  I depotted my older palettes into my free form Z Palette for ease of use and visibility, but found that my recent use of the palettes were less than ideal.  THE CREAMS WERE DRYING OUT most noticeably in Star Guitar (here).  That's a lot of expensive palettes to go to poop!  I was so freaked out that it prevented me from depotting my new palettes (on the left).
There are ways to revive cream shadows such as dropping in Visine or glycerine, but the THREE has a very unique formulation full of botanical oils.  I wasn't sure how effectively I could reconstitute the creams without altering the finish and texture.
 
See?
Talc, tea seed oil, Alga near spinosa kernel oil *, sesame oil *, jojoba seed oil *, rose hip oil *, evening primrose oil *, silk, shea butter *, safflower red, stearoylglutamic acid 2Na, tocopherol, beeswax *, dextrin, charcoal, crystalline cellulose, hydroxide Al, methylparaben, +/-: borosilicate (Ca / Na), glyceryl isostearate, mica, dimethicone, borosilicate (Ca / Al), titanium oxide, synthetic mica, iron oxide, ethyl hexanoic acid cetyl, nylon-12, (dimethicone / vinyl dimethicone) cross polymer, methyl methacrylate crosspolymer, isononyl isononanoate, silica, oryzanol, carmine, gardenia blue, gardenia yellow, triisostearate polyglyceryl-2, vaseline, trimethoxy silyl dimethicone, triethylhexanoin, polyethylene, microcrystalline wax, stearic acid Mg, Prussian blue, phenoxyethanol
 
Here is what I did to warm up and add a bit of sterile moisture.  I steamed it in a double boiler over gently shimmering water.  That's the cream shade from Mystery Girl.
After covering the pan and allowing to steam for about two to three minutes, I removed from the heat and gentled blotted the top of the pan with a paper towel which collected a few beads of condensed water.  I then used my finger tips to gently press and push the cream.  I noticed right away that Mystery Girl was much improved, so much so that I also steamed the cream from Star Guitar,
Am I MacGyver or what?

I'm not quite sure if it is the depotting that dried out the creams or if the creams have a tendency to dry out in its original case since Mystery Girl already came to me icky but Star Guitar was depotted.  It freaked me out sufficiently enough not to depot the other quads I still have in the case.

Speaking of more DIY-inspired madness, I used a super sharp utility knife to sharpen my Shu Uemura hard 9 brow pencil into the sabre-shaped tip since I no longer have access to a physical counter.  That didn't go over so well, since it ended up slightly like a cross between an epee blade and a foil rather than a sabre.  Win some lose some.

Here is my look from today enjoying my newly revived Star Guitar risen from a dry grave like Lazarus:
In this look I am wearing:
Complexion: SUQQU Frame Fix Cream N foundation, Nuancing loose powder in Natural, Creamy Makeup Base, SURRATT concealer
Brows: SUQQU brow palette & brow pen in Moss Green
Eyes: THREE Star Guitar 4D Eye Palette, Tom Ford Espresso liner in waterline, Guerlain Cils D'Enfer Maxi Lash wp mascara
Cheeks: THREE 19 Love Kick blush
Lips: Surratt Lipslique in Hevyn


I hope this is a permanent fix to the creams and fervently wish it stays in prime condition now.  I hope I didn't inadvertently kill it with the steam!  That would suck.

Hope your Christmas was wonderful and that all of you are enjoying this holiday season!

What are your best MacGyver Makeup Hacks?



18 comments :

  1. Um, you are a GENIUS. Love it. And that brown looks so elegant on you! So glad you got it to work!

    (So I suck at double boiling. When baking recipes call for it, I use a microwave. Is that a dry bowl with the cream, in a steamer, over a pot of boiling water? I need to be prepared. Just in case!)

    (Btw am LOVING my two THREE quads. Even 11, Sister Midnight, which is weird and outside my comfort zone.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I R GEENIOOOOSSS! Happy New Year, Adele! Much happiness & prosperity (and makeup happies) to you in the New Year!

      If you have a pot with a steamer insert you are all set, but if you are lacking equipment:
      1) In a wide pan, fill with about an inch with water and heat until boling.
      2) Take a bit of aluminum foil, crumple into a snake and roll into a ring.
      3) Place foil ring into the center of your pan
      4) Put bowl (or whatever you are cooking) on top of foil ring but don't let water touch bottom of bowl. You want to cook with the steam.
      5) Assuming you've placed whatever you are cooking, THREE cream or chocolate, etc into bowl
      6) cover with pot lid, lower heat to shimmer
      7) For the THREE cream, I steamed about 2-3 minutes

      :D I love these eye shadow palettes! This is reviving my love for them again. I'm wearing one of the duos today.

      Delete
  2. Ok. That is nice Belly.
    Let's see you other quad you have reviewed.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year!

      I'm sort of not feeling it with the other quads these days. :D

      Delete
  3. How on earth did you remember MacGyver? LOL! You are betraying ages (if you know what I mean- oh my english)! Enjoy holiday season and have a wonderful year with health and happiness you and your family. Big hugs from Greece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D I AM OLD! I remember all the old shows: Remington Steele (when Pierce Brosnan was young & cheesy), Miami Vice, Fantasy Island (DA PLANE, DA PLANE), MacGyver, Knight Rider, Magnum PI, etc etc.

      Happy Holidays Amalia!

      Delete
    2. :D I am older! I remember Dallas and as a child the original Star Trek. I was afraid of Mr.Spock's ( Leonard Nimoy) ears! I keep my cream e/s and gel eyeliners fresh and creamy putting a drop of organic 100% jojoba oil to the surface from time to time. With my finger, I spread the jojoba oil all over the surface.

      Delete
  4. Belly, you are definitely MacGyver... you definitely need to keep on sharing this mu wisdom. Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *SQUEEEZE*
      Happy New Year, Anne!

      Delete
    2. Happy New Year to you too!!!!
      I was finally able to write something, really really interesting... uhmm.... nude lips?! lol I guess that's interesting for me because it's harder to achieve than a bold vampy lip (of course, on my lips) :P

      Delete
  5. Just wanted to say Happy New Year, Belly, and you look lovely as always! Let's hope the MacGyver fix holds for your pretties.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!! MacGyver, Magnum PI, Knight Rider, Miami Vice, Steele... all those shows that I grew up with. I must tell you a funny story: DH (who works in IT) once interviewed a candidate and he was supposed to ask a curve-ball question, so he asked one of his "MacGyver" question, you know.. what would you do if you need to do X but only have Y and Z? He said lately the candidates have been looking at him with blank stare, "Who is this MacGyver guy????" Obviously, we are *old*.... so sad, sad, sad....
    Anyhow, that MacGyver met Dimsum contraption is ingenious! Of course it will work!! The steam will soften all the waxes, and then the cellulose in the eye shadow will retain some of the moisture. Such a great idea only can come from Mac-Belly-Gyver herself, another case solved by the Phoenix Foundation :-D

    P.S. Have you watched "The Wedding Singer" -- Adam Sandler, Drew Barrymore? I think you'll get a kick out of the 80s theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those goofy shows... I enjoyed them. Have you seen any of those recently? They are so hilariously hokey! I watched the Wedding Singer when it came out. I liked it and love the music. Oddly enough, my favorite Adam Sandler movie is 50 First Dates. It's sentimental & over the top, but Barrymore & Sandler are very sweet in it.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, I like 50 First Dates, v. sweet indeed. No, haven't watched any reruns of any of those. Where are they available? Netflix?

      Delete
  7. Stealing this, OMG! I've lost so much cream/gel makeup because the packaging was metal and it couldn't be microwaved, or because the texture got wonky really easily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE YOU. I want to depot my Star Guitar (very very averse to this, but!) since the cream shade was never so easy to work with. I shall ponder... then probably depot anyway. Thanks for the tip, McGyvah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going to have to remember this when my Star Guitar dries out too. You are totally Macgyver, the pretty version.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...