Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Surratt Surrealiste Skin Concealer

disclosure: I received this product free of charge when I purchased nine million dollars* worth of brushes at the counter a few weeks ago.
I really wasn't in the market for a new concealer.  Recently I repurchased the Cle de Peau concealer in Almond (a new color that was recently released) since my old tube of Ochre was very dark on my skin.  I also still own the very last dregs of the Ellis Faas left, which is my old standby.  Annnnd, during the last Bergdorf Goodman event, I repurchased the Clinque Airbrush illuminating concealer.

But you know, free is always nice.

By the way, the packaging calls it Surreal Skin, but on line Barney's and Liberty UK call it Surrealiste Skin.
Joey matched me to shade 4, which is light-medium neutral shade.  Shade range goes from 1, which is a super pale shade to shade 6, which appears to be a cool medium shade.  Let me know if you'd like a full set of swatches from the counter, but it seems like there isn't a good shade for darker skin tones.
Speaking of Cle de Peau concealer, the Surratt Surrealiste Skin Concealer is significantly smaller than the Cle de Peau.  The Surratt one is 0.6 oz/ 1.9g worth of product, while the CdP is .17 oz / 5g of product.  I almost never note pricing on this blog (because lazy, and because don't like to dwell on the real cost of makeup consumption!), but in the US, the Surratt concealer is a hefty $50.  The Cle de Peau one is $70.  Price per gram, the Surratt is double the price of the CdP!  Something to dwell on.
 
Related aside, I recently purchased the $40 Wantable Beauty November box.  I never, ever order beauty boxes, because I like to know what I spend my money on, but the featured brand this month is Surratt!  And I see from various instagram posts and such that people seem to be getting Surratt stick looking things.  Looks like a good value proposition for me!  (because I need even more concealers?!) (why not ship nao Wantable!?  NAO NAO NAO!)
Pricing aside, here are swatches of the Surratt compared to the CdPs I still own, Almond and Ochre.  
 
I put the sucker to work.  This is me naked face.  I don't have many problem areas with my skin, just some minimal darkness under the eyes, redness around my nose, darker pigmentation on my chin and some sun spots.  But macro lens, so you can see all of those minor quibbles.
I applied lightly to all those areas and slightly layered more heavily using a small brush (a lip brush) on the sun spots.  The issue I do have with CdP is that with layering on for additional coverage generally tend to look dry, especially under the eyes and under my nose.  The Surratt does look quite good.
Undereye, around nose, on chin and sun spots all concealed
Haha!  Here is a giant macro closeup of the area under my eyes.  I have some very small fine lines radiating from the inner corner as well as very slightly textured skin.  I'm seeing that even though the concealer is brightening and covering up the darkness of the entire area, my skin still looks like my skin.  That's probably the nicest thing about this concealer.  When applied, it has a slight dewy tackiness that melds into the skin and looks very natural.  The coverage I find to be lighter than CdP, as a reference.  It's somewhere on the light side of medium.
Stare nao into my eyes of deth.
More than under my eyes, my "problem" area for use with concealers is under my nose, which tends to be chronically flaky in addition to red.  Concealers generally clump, crease  and catch on flakes but the Surratt admirably looks good.  I see a creasy bunch at the crease between nose and upper lip, but not so bad at all.  The only real fault for me is that the coverage isn't super high, so I can still see a glimpse of my sun spots coming through.
How's this shot for appetizing?
Anyway, here's to celebrating what looks like flawless skin!  I am wearing in this picture the Surratt Surrealiste Concealer, Chantecaille Future Skin Foundation (here and here), Rouge Bunny Rouge Impalpable Finishing Powder in Diaphanous (here), Guerlain Cils D'enfer Maxi WP mascara, Suqqu Balancing Brow Palette in Moss Green (here), and Guerlain Rouge G in Girly.
Anyway, I like it.  Have you tried the Surratt Surrealiste Concealer?  What are some of your favorites for coverage and beautiful texture?
Ingredients for your reference:
* a slight exaggeration

disclosure: this product was received free of charge as a gift with purchase.  My opinions are my own!  Check out my full disclosure policy here.

28 comments :

  1. Unreal how lovely your naked skin is!! And the end result... yup--flawless.

    Love your posts, and am now having an irrational urge to shop with you. ;)

    You know me as...
    Branny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Branny, think of the damage we would do if we went shopping together. ;)
      Destruction, glitter!

      Delete
  2. I had one shade for my undereyes, and then during the Barneys gift bag event, I got a free one, and was matched to a different shade for the rest of my face/blemishes.

    I'm torn between liking it and not knowing if it really does enough under my eyes. I also think it wears off from the spots on my face after a while. But I do like that it also looks pretty natural.

    So it may not be my ideal concealer, but since I don't know what that is, this is good enough for now! :)

    Shani x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think because the pigmentation is a bit on the sheerer side, we could be matched to multiple shades and it still looks ok. I suspect for more serious dark circles or really dark spots to conceal, the pigmentation wouldn't be enough. Have you tried the CdP? Those pack serious pigmentation!

      Shani, have you had a chance to check out the brushes yet?

      Delete
  3. I came because I thought it was an article over pocky. And just like that, I'll add Girly to my Guerlain to buy list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like a Pocky Stick? I will gladly swap a Girly for a pack of Pocky Sticks.

      Delete
  4. Well, first of all, it is NOT FAIR that your skin is soooo pristine; you hardly need any concealer (maybe even a swipe of med-covg foundation will do). But second of all, and to be fair, I think the Surratt concealer is pretty good, judging from the nose shot! I'd love to see the whole shade's swatch.
    Hmm.. let's see. For undereye concealer, I like Burberry Sheer Concealer: it has that "flexible" finish that does not crease yet moves with the skin. Clinique airbrush is also another perennial fave for the brightening effect and again, the layer flexibly moves without creasing. For general concealing, I still like the oldie but goodie LM. It is on the dry consistency but it does not budge (and works in synergy with my foundation -- see below). I never really like CdP, I don't know why. I remember owning a stick of Ivory and it went half-used, finally given up and I never looked back.
    Finally, a word about concealer that I've learned over the years: I conceal after putting on foundation, so concealer that has compatible texture with foundation is a must. This is perhaps why I shy away from too-creamy concealer because it just slides off my base (which is normally quite dewy -- this is why I like the LM). Finding the right concealer is really a trial and error both in terms of color and texture synergy (do I sound like Lisa E, yet?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those years of precription retin A really helps, as does genetics. I'm very lucky in that regard. I never spot conceal usually either so my standard for concealing is not very high. I just want pretty texture on the skin that slightly covers and brightens. I think this is why some of my old standbys are so nice (except CdP, which is very oomphy in coverage).

      LM Secret Camo really made me so sad!!! I loved how nice it looked and covered spots but never ever played nice with my foundation and literally faded after an hour or two. It's really easy to try dozens of concealers to find ones that work well. *nods*

      Delete
  5. Ha! I have not tried mine yet, but you had me at this concealer looking good on the nose area. I have pores, broken capillaries, flakes, redness and ALL TEH THINGZ around my nose so if this can at least partially conceal that without flaking, sliding, going patchy or bunching up in creases I'm going to be all over it. But I think Claire is also right in that the concealers we use specially for spot concealing need to work well with the foundations we're wearing, and my foundations have been massively failing me lately. I'm really thinking about tossing one in the trash, I just can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try eet! I used it over a larger surface area (on my chin) and it plays really nice with pores! Does look very natural. I really have zero hopes for any concealer to fully cover the red around my nose and still look nice, so in that regard, this one is pretty nice.

      Has your skin been changing with the weather? I am so crazy flaky immediately after I go lazy one night with the skincare and it really messes with how a foundation looks on the skin. What's your fave for spot concealing, Monika?

      Delete
  6. Your skin is so nice! hmm lemmings but omg it is more expensive than cdp haha. I think Ellis Faas concealer and foundation are about the same coverage and I'm too lazy to use either lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Selphia. :) Yes, this puppy is even MORE expensive (per gram) than the exorbitantly priced CdP. I hear Surratt is eventually headed over to your neck of the woods! :) You can check it out in person.

      Delete
  7. You really do have great skin. Also, thanks for the bellycorn! Just wanted to let you know that I have received it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the Bellycorn flew over and in good shape. :D

      Delete
  8. I think Barneys should give you the entire collection of Surratt. I got my brushes today....and I should be happy but they charged me 12.00 for shipping when I was promised free shipping. Even the website says free shipping. Not a happy camper now. The should give you more stuff free to use. You buy so much from Surratt. You are their model n spokesperson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! I'm happy to spend my own money on things I like, anyway. I was very pleased to receive the concealer, though. You should definitely dispute the shipping on your brush order! In any case, I hope you like the brushes!

      Delete
  9. Oh gosh I don't need more exorbitant concealers! But I've swatched this at the counter and liked it. Glad to see your views are similar... And gosh u've got amazing skin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TANK EWE you much, Linda! It's a lovely textured concealer. I'm glad to hear you liked it as well. Now I've completely overloaded myself with concealers! I'm crazy.

      Delete
  10. Dude. Flawless naked face! Concealers are redundant :-P

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...and I read that impalpadaphanous by rouge bunny rouge again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When a makeup item's vocabulary start to exceed my own vocabulary, I feel I need to reassess my life and do some more reading or something more productive with my life. ;D

      Delete
  12. Woman, I share everyone else's sentiment, you dont need no concealer! Nudey face for the win! Do you like this above the CdP? Also how's CdP Almond working out for you? Ochre is too dark for me too, though I think I still have a half year's worth on mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did I not see this comment earlier? I prefer Cdp for when I have things needing serious coverage like spots, but for lower-coverage needs, this is nice. I really like the texture and finish on my skin when warmed on my finger tips and patted on.

      Delete
  13. So sad. Ordered the November Wantable box because ... Surratt! $54 later and ... one broken bottle of foundation (the pump popped right off as soon as I tried to use it); two brands of makeup I've never heard of and would never buy in colours I would'[t use, and .... no Surratt. That'll learn me for trying a beauty box. I've resisted up to now and it will be easier from here on in. Oh ... and the customer service phone number doesn't work from Canada... and shipping it back would cost me about $25 because they don't offer free returns from Canada. Lesson learned. Anyone want a box of useless makeup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I criiiiies! I'm so sad to hear about your tale of Wantable woe! :(
      I actually got a SURRATT brow pencil in my box. But we got the same lame foundation it see.

      Delete
  14. Oh well. This is like the makeup gods squealing, "Enough!" I just never thought they'd be cruel enough to do that! :-p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( That is just evil of the gods to do this. Makes a point though.

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...