Monday, November 24, 2014

SUQQU Eye Color Palette (Trio) in 03 Aoruri

>>This was a personal gift from a friend<<
I wish I can say I love absolutely everything I've tried from SUQQU, but that just isn't the case.  In this particular instance, the product quality and formulation are fine.  Actually the other trio I own, Toutouseki is pretty much fits my ideal of sophisticated glitter.  In the case of Aoruri, I couldn't possibly find harder colors for my skin tone!  However, I am so grateful, to my friend "Anonymous" (hehe) who offered me a trade of a SUQQU trio, for a fine specimen of a Shrinky Dink Bellycorn.  My friend has a rather off sense of fair trade wouldn't you say?  I'm not complaining! ;-)
Emblematic of the newer releases from the brand, there some shimmer and a glitter in this trio.
This palette has two "color" shades and a sparse, but intensely glittery top coat.

  • There is a shimmery dusky blue
  • A shimmery plum
  • glitter top coat that has a sheer base shade, and mostly imparts fine glitter
The picture below is a bit washed out by the bright natural light, but you can see the finish of these three shades pretty clearly.  There is an overall icy coolness to these colors that is even further enhanced so by the bright white shimmers and the pale blue shimmers in the blue shade.  They are all very translucent and a good part of how the color looks on your skin will be greatly influenced by your own skin.
As mentioned, they are not intensely pigmented, but shows up pretty well on my skin and on my eye lids.
I've layered the two shades and topped with the glitter shade and it turns into a very cool dusky purple.  Though this collection has a theme of jewels, the colors are muted and very cool leaning.  

Here I am wearing Aoruri.  Very cool shades every where isn't my thing, I can see.  In this look, I am wearing all the same base products as in the last post, plus:
  • SUQQU Aoruri palette on eyes
  • Chanel Stylo in Ebene
  • Physicians Formula liner
  • Guerlain Cils D'Enfer Maxi Lash waterproof mascara
  • Chanel blush in Rose Ecrin
  • SUQQU Bright Up lipstick in Hanabeni

Maybe it's something about the very strong yellow pigmentation in my skin which makes these cool translucent shades so tough to wear.
I also found the dusky blue particularly difficult to wear confidently.  I have the plum shade worn all over the lids and up past the crease.  I've placed the blue on the outside third of my lid as well as slightly into the crease.  I've mixed the two shades and placed in the lower lash line.
Thank you, darling Anonymous, for giving me a chance to play with this trio!  The slight jaundiced look is but a small price to pay for playing with MOAR TEH MAKEUPS!  I think I will try layering this over a dark or light cream base shade to see if I can get a more clear translation of the colors onto my lids without all the yellowness of my skin tone interfering with it all over the place.
Do you have any particular eye color shades that you find challenging to wear?  Have you also tried Aoruri from the SUQQU trio release?

27 comments :

  1. I think you look as gorgeous as ever! But having read your review, I can confidently say I got the better end of the deal... I adore my Bellycorn shrinky dink! If you don't find a way to love Aoruri, perhaps you could pass it along to another cool cat (that's a *double* double entendre!)

    XO, Your Anonymous Suqqu Addict

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello "Anonymous!"
      Thank you! I think that even the lesser flattering (being completely a YMMV thing) colors from the brand remain ever wearable due to their lovely textures. I'm so psyched that the Bellycorn is out there in the real world, hanging out with cute cats... doing other assorted grumpy things.
      I agree, though, I think this set of colors would work beautifully on another friend!
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure I can see this jaundice you speak of. And I really like the purple they become when layered! My biggest trouble shades are greys and blacks. Part of it is probably just my own perception (that bit about each of us being our own biggest critic and all) but I think they make me look sallow. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of blacks turn blue (I guess that's the dominant color in a lot of blacks) as do a lot of greys. I think greys in general are tough against some skintones!! We are our toughest critic because most people wouldn't notice the small differences in how colors flatter or not. :) So I declare, these cool bloo-parphal, not my best, either!

      Delete
  3. I just have to say all these Suqqu and Surratt posts are killing me! *shakes fist, very gently*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *pets softly, whilst whistling a tuneless tune*

      Delete
  4. I think your challenge with Aoruri is exactly the type of challenge I have when faced with golds, bronzes, coppers and olive tones - they really just make my skintone look quite a bit 'off'. But as you said, maybe a warmer base would work with the trio for you? Or add in some warm transition shades for the crease? Either way... SPAHKLES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yupyupyupyupyup. I can see how with your cool tone, those types of colors would be difficult. I don't often wear transition shades just because I feel like a palette needs to pull its weight as a complete eye look, but I agree! I think I will try it with another shade to see if it makes it look a bit more pulled together. And...well...SHPPPPARKELS!

      Delete
  5. I see what you mean only because I often feel the same way. Looking at these on you, though, I think they suit you quite nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. On initial impressions I used to find shadows like these not pigmented enough but then I realized that it makes wearing more of the shadow easier as it's not full on crazy solid color. I love how you wore them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Yes! Some folks complain these are sheer, but these types of "sheerness" makes all of these colors so easy to apply and wear. I lack the REAL application talent to make actual super pigmented colors work for me. Thank goodness for these brands.

      Delete
  7. Keep the reviews coming please....you got more for us to see....and your camera pics are outstanding...better close up shots....hint hint...Suqqu Christmas and Three quads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have rather quite the list to go through!

      Delete
  8. I think you suit these colours fabulously! Or is that result of your great application skills? They also look much more pigmented than I expected. I face similar challenges with regards to cool greys/taupes. It washes me out and makes me look like I haven't faced my face or slept in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love taupes & greys, but I agree they are not easy to wear. I like to make sure I have plenty of clown cheeks going on to prevent washing out. :)

      Delete
  9. The fact that this is a gift in exchange of a BellyCorn is enough to make me smile :-) I honestly think this does not look half as bad as you think on you, Belly. I agree that it can look a bit too cool. Hmm.. I have problem with some warm bronzy shades but now I'm embracing more of reddish bronze on my eyes. Something too gunmetal also can clash on my skintone. I generally avoid anything greens on the eyes, no matter how good it looks on someone else's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I have funny friends. They make me smile, too. I don't think it looks terrible either, but it is definitely not my best look. I think it's the colors that clash with our skin that are so difficult. I like how some colors that clash (a cool pink blush or lip color) can be so flattering and vibrant while others (like this cold blue) is so hard. I'm sure there is some science (or art) that explains it all.

      Delete
    2. Have you tried putting on the dusky blue over warm base, I'm thinking like MAC paint pots, LMdB Champagne pencil or even your Surratt pencil/shadow combo thing? I do that trick when a color is way too cool, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

      Delete
  10. I think it looks pretty on you ..... Just darken it a little bit more 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lynn! I will try it over a black base and see what happens. :)

      Delete
  11. You look amazing dear! The shades are light but I like it. I think its perfect for day wear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read this and thought, what jaundice where?! No way, it looks lovely! But then, when I scrolled down and saw Sakurakaba on you... I understand why you may have felt Aoruri was not quite right (still a cray exaggeration to say it makes you look anything other than lovely ;) The shades in Sakurakaba harmonize so gloriously with your complexion, you simply belong together. It really brings out your beauty, that one, in all it's splendour. Pardon the corn, but I don't know how else to put it haha!
    Aoruri is also waiting for me at home for Xmas. I think we have similar skin tones -I may be a bit more pale- so I hope that this will work for me... Thinking that maybe blending out from the crease with some of the mattes in Cocoa Mirage may warm it up to my liking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Bwahahah! Why you go on and make my head get so big, Cat? The colors themselves are really beautiful, but I think it's the clash with my very yellow tones (along with the white based blue - less transluscent) that makes these colors not my best colors.
      I think this is definitely a trio for those with similar tones as us that can benefit with the addition of a transition shade or a nice base shade. Let me know how CM works with it, Cat! <3

      Delete
  13. I had the same problem with this one... although i thought it was a matter of the shades being so grey.... But yes, i layered them over the creamy eyeliner in Navy, and it worked wonders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iz v. clashy with my skin. :( Oh! But that ruby navy liner from Spring might be awesome with this! Thank you for the rec!!! <333

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...