Saturday, September 20, 2014

SUQQU Blend Color Eye Shadow in Murasakisuishou EX-21

Updated: as of 9/21/14, it appears Ichibankao currently has this quad in stock.

The ire of disgruntled SUQQU fans regarding the accessibility of this particular palette is not something to ignore.  When I saw the initial images of the eight-color palette, I knew it would have enough novelty appeal for many people so I made sure to secure one.  I was really fortunate that Liz from So Lonely in Gorgeous was generous with her time to snag one for me from Japan.  I saw it appear on Ichibankao for about half a day before selling out, and then heard unsubstantiated rumors that it appeared for a scant moment on the Selfridges website.

It's a true shame that I'm showing a palette that has only been out a few short weeks but has already become such an impossibility to get a hold of.  Though I try to think of this blog as a vanity object for sole purpose of personal fulfillment (!), I know at times my posts and swatches can be helpful for those trying to make a purchase for things.  Sure, I could have gotten this post up much earlier, but #1) I lazy #2) takes me a long time to get my thoughts in order.
 Yes, much pretty here, but hopefully at the end of the post you will feel either glad you own one already, or feel ok for letting it slip by.  Either way, it's all good.


Shall we take a look at the shades?


 The swatches below correlate to the numbers on the pans above.



  1.  light bright pinky purple with intense multi colored shimmer
  2. yellow warm golden shimmer, again loaded with multi colored shimmer
  3. warm brown bronze shimmer shade
  4. cool plummy brown with predominantly silvery shimmer (among other multi colored bits)
  5. opaque cool white satin; the pan shows pink but not so much on my skin
  6.  opaque cream satin; both the whites 5 & 6 are pigmented.  
  7. dark khaki brown with intense shimmer.
  8. dark cool plummy grey


 Textural variety this palette ain't got it, but what it lacks in mattes and satins, it sure makes up for in crazy complex shimmer.  All the colors coordinate easily and beautifully together and layer well, but the color composition in this palette is not particularly as inspiring as say...something like Ginbudou with its moody grey, purple and gold.

That quibble aside, the colors are very beautiful and easy to use.

In addition to being able to use each shade according to mood and whim, Murasakisuishou is almost an embarrassment of layering options.  I've done some of the easier to compose layering one might initially use.  As the individual pans are split and colors on the skinny size, it would be easy to layer and mix up and two colors in each pan.  Here they are:



 Pan #1:

 To my eye, the layering intensifies the effect of the bright shimmer and multiplies it by a factor of ten.  (can you also glimpse a little bit of the crazy shimmer way on the right of this photo?!  I mean, come on!)



Pan #2:

Pan #3:

Pan #4:
This is a collection inspired by jewels.  Instead of what one might think of in typical jewel tones and saturated colors, SUQQU has brought to life the inspiration of jewels in all the complexity of light and light reflection.

A little more layering, because really, SUQQU layers are just so ridiculously gorgeous:
Then one more combination, layering the above shades with the respective "whites:"
I find the quality, the texture, and the complexity very much what I would expect from SUQQU.  The thing is, for a mature SUQQU collector with a sizable stash of eye shadow palettes, this is kind of a redundant addition.  I have other palettes that have some beautiful color combinations or textural variations that make them much more desirable to me.

However, for the new fans of the brand, Murasakisuishou would be the epitome of SUQQU shimmer!  And with so many shade options and outrageous glow, I can think of how this would really please many people.

The cruel irony would be that this palette is so darn freaking impossible for many fans (new and old) to get a hold of.  Woe!  Cruel twist of fate! 


Look 1: Heavy on the Pan #2, with the combined shade of pan #4 to define and smoke around the eyes.
 Other products used: Edward Bess Blush Extraordinare in Secret Affair.  (Can't remember the lipstick. oops)


Look 2:  Basically layered all the shades like a mad person and really packed on the purple in pan #1.
Other products used: SUQQU Frame Fix Cream N foundation, Serge Luten lip palette (the blue red), THREE shimmering glow duo.  THREE Divine Radiance blush.
Look 3: Trying to place the shade more individually.  Purple as main lid shade, the other shades for specific crease and outer lid placement.

 Other products used: SUQQU Frame Fix Lasting Pact foundation, THREE Divine Radiance Blush, YSL Gloss Voluptée (I think this is sample of #47).
SUQQU is available in Japan, Bangkok and UK.  In the UK it is available in Selfridges & Fenwick.  International customers can call the Selfridges counters, or order on their website.  Various other website retailers (I use Ichibankao) also carry this brand.

Were you able to snag one of these limited edition palettes?  What do you think about these hard to find items.  Do they make it more covetable or does it turn you off completely?

28 comments :

  1. *POOF* - comes out of stealth :-D

    Ugh. The layers, they are to pretty!! I think it's nice that you review things, even if they aren't available. It's not like a brand changes their formula every time they release a new item, so the review still holds perfectly well for any current eyeshadows from Suqqu (I assume, since we don't get the brand here *sniffle*). Also: that deep fuchsia lipstick in Look 2 = 7 different kinds of fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *miniaturizes you & puts in my front pocket forever*
      The layering in suqqu is a really nice aspect and this one is ridiculously beautiful when layered. :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, beautiful complex sparkle, but I agree it looks a bit shimmer on shimmer. Not even going to try to track it down - I guess for me when the hunt becomes nigh on impossible, it doesn't seem as fun anymore :/ But I'm still hoping to own a Suqqu eyeshadow palette one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is total shimmer city albeit very beautiful shimmer. I actually think this is super wearable and when composed with other mattes or satins in my collection, it is very useful. I *like* it pretty well enough, but I think I seriously OD'd on SUQQU shimmer! Either that or seeing that all in one palette in so many shades is making me *___*

      Delete
  3. My shadow compact arrived yesterday. I ordered with a cheek brush,
    The ladies Shumana and Tiziana are the best at Selfridges London store.
    Customs again made it difficult with needing all the documentation.
    Pain in the a******s.
    Ichibankao is my go to store for the other Japanese makeup.
    But I have bought Suqqu at Selfridges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your order arrived safely and hope you love the palette & the cheek brush! I <3 that brush. Totally got me falling down the rabbit hole for handmade Japanese artisan brushes.

      Delete
  4. Very pretty looks, Belly! And I love that lacey number you wore in look #2! But it still doesn't look as dark and pigmented as some of the other SUQQU looks that you've done before.... are you sure EX-21 is more pigmented?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dark pan is very reflective (I think Selphia mentioned this as well)! Compared to Himesango-era palettes, it's probably not as pigmented, but compared to 01-08, seems comparable to me. I definitely don't think EX21 is the most pigmented out of all the ones I own. :) I like the palette and it is very versatile for shimmer lovers that's for sure!

      Delete
  5. There's much shimmery prettiness here, I feel I'd be a bit lost if I did get my hands on it. As a palette that is inspired by jewels, I think it's a beautiful interpretation. This is what I would have hoped Bobbi Brown's shimmer brick (eyeshadow version) to be like, but Suqqu really is just on another level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've fully weaned myself away from Bobbi Brown LE palettes a few years ago seeing that the quality didn't appeal to me as many of her singles. :(
      I think Suqqu did an amazing job in the jewel interpretation, but probably for someone with a collection as large as mine, I don't think it's a big must have.

      Delete
  6. I got this palette a few weeks ago but I haven't used it it at all or even opened up the box because sick then allergies hit me and it has been 2 weeks with no eye mu :( I haven't had any huge problems tracking down Suqqu when I get CP agent to buy for me, just need to know when it is released and make sure to tell them about it 3 weeks before release.

    I guess this palette's dark shades don't show up very dark because of the reflective glow when worn on eyelids, much like how some shades look so much better on the bottom lid than top lids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it Spring allergies kicking up over there? We have fall allergies (ragweed, crap) in full swing and my house is full of people sneezing up a storm. It is SO TERRIBLE! Hope your eyes recover soon, Selphia. :`(
      Is it just me? I don't want to go through an agent to buy makeup! (I have a bit of social anxiety that flairs up now & again). I would much prefer to order online, but I guess if I were really really keen on getting something, I would try an agent. I know Natsubotan is near impossible to get, as were the Christmas sets from last year. :( Oy, too hard.

      Delete
  7. Absolutely agree with you..too much shimmer, not enough pigmentation. I regret purchasing mine but I still love Suqqu. What do you think of the eyeshadow trios?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry this one didn't knock it out of the ballpark for you!

      I only have the 01 Toutouseki that I showed. I think it is the least pigmented of the three that were released, but I totally love that one! The shimmer is more sedate (because there aren't so many colors like EX21!) and really brightening on my eyes. I'm thinking about the 02 trio for a future purchase. But again, for those trios, one would really really really need to love sparkle.

      Delete
  8. Can't deny all that beautiful, refined shimmer but I'm actually rather surprised it is all shimmer, not even a bit of satin/matte option. I agree this one can be that one-palette-to-rule-them-all for any Suqqu virgin like me.. had it not for the price which is $81 a pop. Actually, let me take that back, $81 is perhaps not that much more than a Chanel quad (which raking up almost $60) and for the quality, I really don't mind spending the extra $20.

    Can I comment on one last thing? Your pictures!!! I don't know what you did, but they are getting clearer in terms of showing off textures. I can see the difference in terms of shimmer between the white-shades v.s. the other shades, and all the tones in the shimmer. Love!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that Tom Ford prices are close to $80 now in the US, right? So these SUQQU when purchased from Ichibankao are comparably priced and I think much superior in terms of performance, complexity and texture. Don't get me wrong, I just bought Cocoa mirage, so I am still a firm fan of that brand, too. This could probably really get a new suqqu fan up and running and experience some seriously pretty!

      I actually just got a new macro lens for the camera and playing around with it (the Quotienne snake cuff post was the other one). I am mind boggled with how much detail I can capture. My kit lens was fine for swatches, but now I can actually see fine arm hair in the swatches! O__o

      Delete
    2. Yup, totally agree. Suqqu slowly but surely will beat TF's a$$ in terms of quality, texture, and just the overall color pairings. Esp. now that Charlotte Tilbury comes up with her own palettes which are very close in terms of color combos with TFs with lower price points. The Suqs def. worth $80 from Ichi!

      Fine arm hair? yikes, better start defuzzing before blogging then? :-D

      Delete
    3. Of course! Time to strip myself of all indication of my mammalian origin! BELLY! HAIRLESS! UNLEASHED! :D

      Delete
  9. Agree with all Claire says! And a question: is there a beautiful basic neutral Suqqu palette? Nice mix of satins and mattes, natural shades?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LP! Yes, there are probably a few great options among the UK-exclusive palettes. Ginbudou is out of this world if you love purple (with the twist with lovely color combinations). Matsukasa for warm browns (with all the variety in texture a person can need). Katkitsubata might be right up your alley, LP. The blue is clear and deep, the bronze is very complex and the pale peach is brightening and so pretty. These are only in the UK, so you will need to call the counters or have a friend purchase for you.

      Delete
  10. just noticed it's back in stock on ichibankao!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that too! Did you order one, Stella?

      Delete
    2. I actually ordered it from Ichibankao when it was first available. It's truly a beautiful palette.

      Delete
    3. Ah! You have magical internet shopping mojo! It sold out so quickly the first time.

      Delete
  11. I was a huge fan of Suqqu eyeshadow until the 2013 spring palettes -- they were way too sparkly for my "mature" eyes. But I took a chance on this palette (8 shades!) and like it a lot. The base is really pretty, shimmery but not OTT like EX12 Hisuidama's base with larger shimmer flakes, and a nice change from the usual matte base in the older palettes. It's subtle and gives a nice glow. I'm back to being a loyal Suqqu fan and am waiting for a re-release of Natsubotan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I believe the Hisuidama, Ginusudama and Sumiredama had some very vocal ruticals regarding their lack of texture & overall blingy-ness. I agree that EX21 is a lot mre refined than those, but I lurrrve H & S still. I get I still have a deep longing desire to SPARKLE IN THE SUN, a lot more than I care to admit. :)
      Natsubotan, that one got away from me, but I'm ok with it. I think those rosy pinks would be totally asking for trouble on my skintone.

      Delete
  12. Gaaaaah. I love how this looks in the pan, but I'm not sure if I want an 8-pan palette of shimmer. I don't think that a palette HAS to have matte or satin options, though I always think they're nice to have. HMMMM. How do the textures compare to the Sumiredama quad? That's the only SUQQU I have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quality feels about the same, Carina! :) Sumiredama is hard to compare to this just because of that crazy duochrome stuff going on that palette compared to Murasakisuishou. In terms of texture, application (etc etc), they seem comparable to me.

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...