Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Tom Ford Fall 14 Collection - Some Swatches

I am pretty sure that a burger and bloody mary fueled rampage through Barney's and Bergdorf Goodman ranks pretty high among makeuppy pleasures.  Everything is better with a good burp and a smear (of makeup), yes?

I was pleased to see that Tom Ford's Fall 14 was available at the counter at Bergdorf ready to be scrutinized and further poked upon.  There were some folks getting a makeover so I didn't get to swatch the lipsticks, but I did get to look at what are the stars in the collection: the new quad and the new blush/highlighter duos (Contouring Cheek Color Duo).  Other various products, mascara, foundation, concealer, et cetra are also part of the line, but generally the powder products are the ones I am most keen on checking out.

All in-store lighting, so not ideal.
Duo in Soft Core, Nude Dip quad, Duo in Stroked, on bottom, Extreme Mascara in Mocha Rush
 
I have Stroked on the top of my hand (highlighter, blush) and then Soft Core (highlighter, blush).  I think in theory, for really shaping the cheeks, the duos are a great idea.  After all, using the very shimmery highlighter, I would be able to get some excellent brightness and be able to use the darker blush shade to add some more definition.  But the darker colored shades are very shiny in finish, and reminds me a fair bit of the sheen of Wicked blush.  I think for those that are really into glowy finishes, these would work better than on me.  I also suspect that those with textural issues on their cheeks might experience more pronounced look to their pores.
Of course, it's the quads that always catch my eye!  Nude Dip has some beautiful shades, but similar to my thoughts on the blush/highlighting duos, the finish is very uniformly frosty and shiny.  The darker shade is more satin, but you can definitely see a lot of visible shimmer still.

Also the three lighter shades are very close in depth that I would likely over-blend and muddy up any look.  The colors are exceptionally pretty and the quality of the shades feel wonderful!  These shades can be used wet or dry and my finger swatches were dry of course.  I can only imagine how much richer the wet shades would look.
 Unfortunately for me, these uniformly shiny textures would not work well for me. 
Tom Ford fall is available on pre-order at many places, including Bergdorf Goodman.  Winnie, the counter manager is wonderfully helpful.  You can give her a call at (212) 872-2813.

Have you pre-ordered anything from Tom Ford's fall collection?

28 comments :

  1. Hey Belly, thanks for the swatches! I was very tempted by Nude Dip, but I agree with your analysis: the uniformly shiny texture will likely limit its versatility for me as well. Still, there is no denying the shades are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't the colors so very pretty! Any one of those three lighter shades in another more cohesive palette would have been perfect for me! They are really so pretty and the textures are marvelous. Bummer bummer!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Belly thank you SO much for posting this!!! Initially, of course, I was so excited to see this quad!! But as more real life pics and swatches surfaced, the more I've been feeling that it looks really shimmery/frosty - probably too much for me. AND I also was thinking the 3 lightest shades, once applied would look too similar to each other and ultimately too much like colors I already have (minus the frost). The darkest shade looks really pretty but I'm not sure it's super unique?? So $79 for 3 look alike shades that I could replicate at home + a shade that's not unique = not feeling this one so much anymore, and your post only confirmed that!!!

    How are you, Belly boo?!!! Hope the commute isn't stressing you out, and there was a much more fun reason for the bloody mary fueled rampage!! LOL :-) Smooooches!!! xoxo Gummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my GUMMY GUMMY! As my skin ages, those shades that pull too shiny/frosty all over the place is a little tough. Because they are also so opaque, I wouldn't be able to layer them either which is my preferred placement for most quads.

      commute is a bummer, but I'm now used to it so it's not so bad. On the way home I can take a detour to visit KIKO so it's not all too terrible really!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for these swatches and your thoughts, I think I will only get the eye quad, though it might be a bit frosty but its one of those things that I am sure I will regret if I don't get it (like the fall quad last year) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hate LE regret and if I didn't see this in person, I would have jumped all over this. The colors are really gorgeous in this palette, Clare. I bet you can make some beautiful looks with it. And with your pale cool skin, I think these shades would be wonderful on you. xxoo

      Delete
  4. Oh Belly! Thank you for these swatches. Your analysis makes me think that I might be able to pass on the quad and the blush/highlighter duos. I echo what Sunny & Gummy said. Did you actually get to see the lipstick shades? I know they were in use, but I'm wondering about the reality of those. This is the collection that I have been the most obsessed with, and now I'm not so sure that they would work that well for me in reality. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see the two lipsticks. if I recall correctly, I think they are both orange tone shades, one deeper than the other. They seem like non-shimmer creamy shades. Sadly the TF lipsticks don't do so well for my lips so I didn't really look carefully though.

      Delete
  5. Belly! It's Neko, your partner in (bloody mary) crime. Yes, I agree, much too much shimmer in all the TF$ fall offerings. It was quite the privilege to get to watch you in action yesterday! Hope to do it again soon <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. neko neko! so much fun! need more bloody mary! now you've seen the sausage making machine... which is mostly slather slather slather plus furtive picture taking.

      Delete
  6. Hello
    Well- Im just not sure - It's got the smackings of she wolf with hints of other TF quads - I'm just waiting for a real unique quad from TF (other than the blooo summer was a repeat too) - so while there are subtle difference in tones and textures I'm in a conundrum whether to purchase or not - those cheek duo's I just don't get- :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that's true! Definitely kind of Orchid Hazy, She Wolfy, Enchanted-ish thing happening with Nude Dip. I would have loved one of these shades to be a true glitter shade and the dark shade to be a true matte or something, you know? The cheek things are most definitely a NEWP for me, too.

      Delete
  7. I doubt my counter will get any of this, but I am kind of interested in Stroked... Other than that, it's all very shinyshinyshiny for me. I'd look like a crazy homeless person pining for the days of Studio 54.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the blush shade of Stroked, a kind of assertive brown red situation, but everything together as a color collection is tooo SHINY SHINY SHINYEEEEE! What's wrong with a lil Studio 54 though? ;)

      Delete
  8. Everything is so shimmery. Not really what I was expecting for fall, but maybe it means something. I'm dying to have a look at those blush duos in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, do you have a TF counter nearby? Definitely you should look at them in person and try in on your face. I was a little WOAH SHIMMER when I looked at this stuff.

      Delete
    2. I was 5 feet away yesterday and completely forgot! It's probably not here yet anyway, lol.

      Delete
    3. :) well, some things just aren't that high on the priority list then. :DD

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. these tf seasonal collection always deserves a good oogling!

      Delete
  10. V. nice counter intelligence, Belly! V. curious about the blush/contour/highlight... I wonder if the blush may be too red to be used as contour? Would love to see the lipsticks, maybe next time/next bloody mary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine it would be a traditional contour (shading color) with all the reddened tones.

      Delete
  11. Those are indeed very shiny products! Well, that's me no longer super mopey because I don't have physical access to TF stuff. For now. Did you get to feel up the new foundy too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did check out the new foundation. Felt thicker than my preference for foundations and definitely more coverage than the older foundation. I did like that they expanded the shade range for more variety of yellow tones though.

      Delete
  12. Oooo I like the blushes! The quad is gorgeous but I doubt I would get a lot of use out of it, too much shimmer for me. Still, I'd love to see these in person... I think it's a good thing they're not available here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to have some temptations further away from the persons. Uh-HUH! :D

      Delete
  13. thanks for the swatches, Belly! They do seem very frosty.... the quad I had already written off in my mind as these sorts of uniform mauve-y taupe-y shades get very muddy on me. But i'm surprised by the color of those blushes.... not as attractive as promo picts.... I guess I really need to see these in person to decide. :( Did you check out the new foundations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see the new foundation, but it seemed a bit matte and thick for my preference. :) everything is worth checking out in person though. the quality of the eye shadow palette and the duos seem really nice.

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...