Saturday, August 30, 2014

SUQQU Eye Color Palette (Trio) in 01 Toutouseki

>>The item featured in this post was sent free of charge by the brand/PR.<<
Of the items SUQQU sent me was one of their new eye shadow palette format, the trio in 01 Toutouseki.  The original press release stated that these trios would bring a "wet look" to the eyes.  I tend to have the preconceived notion that the wet look finish is 1) not work appropriate 2) glitter mess and fall out 3) not flattering on mature eyes.  Before you slap me around, by "mature," I mean it in a shorthand way for anything less than perfect smooth lids generally found in younger women.

While I myself am not averse to shimmer, I tend to shy away from true metallics and chunky glitter.  SUQQU itself is well known for beautiful and complex shimmer shades, but with the trio's stated mission to give the "wet look" sounded a little... shall we say frightening? intimidating?

Since the trios are a new finish for me, I took a fair time comparing it to other SUQQU shades and another brand to dissect it into bits.  Get comfortable, and read on!
First, of course, this is a three-pan palette format with square pans.  You can see it compared to my Hanashoubu 16 here.  It is slightly longer in length than the quads and less than half the width.  Not shown, but the SUQQU lettering in the front is white instead of the usual black embossing.
There is no actual base shade in my opinion like the lower right side of the quads, but the shades can be layered in a variety of ways of achieve specific but subtle effects.
The colors (heh, in opposite order of the picture of course!):

  •  The top side of the palette (closest to the mirror) is a glitter shade of super fine pale pink and silvery pink.  The base shade is clear.  The texture reminds me of the glitter topcoat in Tom Ford quads, but the shimmer particles are much smaller and refined.  It adheres exceptionally well to my skin when I use my finger to pat on the shade.  This is my normal technique for applying glitters.  Patpatpatpatpat.
  • The middle shade is a warm peach.  It looks pinker in the pan, but on my skin I see the color applied into a peach shade.  It's hard for me to categorize this as a metallic but it does lend a sheen to the skin.  It does contain variously colored micro shimmer.
  • The bottom shade is a warm brown that is similarly satiny in texture as the peach, and much less sheeny and metallic than the peach.  The shimmer is warmly golden along with various other pink, green, and brighter golden ones.
Definitely click on the pictures of get a closer look at the textures and the shimmers as it sits on my skin.  Yup, not a matte or satin among the bunch of them as promised.  The pigmentation isn't particularly rich.  As a matter of fact, I feel it lends more sheen and suggested nuances in shading when layered and applied on my skin than actual depth in color and pigmentation.

Here's a few pictures of how the shades layer one on top of the other.  The top row shows the brown as the base with all its alterations with the different layering and then the bottom has the peach as the base. I think it's remarkable that Brown + Peach looks different than Peach + Brown!
 Here again in more direct natural light, you can see all the shade variations with the layering are very nuanced and subtle.  But of course, I don't expect to wear all the seven variations on my lids at once!  But where one shade might blend into another, I can see all the subtle shades.
I will show some pictures of how it looks on me, but I wanted to also compare 01 Toutouseki to some other palettes and shades that shared some similarities.

First I compared a Japanese drugstore product, Visée Smokey Rich Eyes in PK-1  with the SUQQU.  The pinky peachy cast of the PK-1 seems to share a lot of similarities with SUQQU.
And indeed, color wise, I think I can reasonably match up the SUQQU peach to some approximating closeness to the two pinky peaches in the Visee.  The Visee does not has a glitter shade, but the pale highlighting shade is quite frosty in its own right.  The two Visée browns are more satin in finish than the golden brown in Toutouseki.
 The really big difference is in the way light shines off the two different palettes.  See below, with my arm angled differently to catch the light, the upper swatches of Toutouseki positively gleams.
Not finding an exact match, I dug into through my SUQQU quads to see if any of those shades were similar to the Toutouseki trio.  Among the big pile, I liked how the peach of Himesango, the darker brown of Mitsucha and the pale lavender of Yomogiiro looked.
(Dudes!  Look how awesome these depotted eye shadows are!)
 From what I can discern from comparing, the shades of the other palettes were all each more significantly pigmented and ended up darker when compared to Toutouseki.  And the finishes were much less sheen and sparkle than Toutouseki.
Of course analytical swatching is really one thing and wearing it is another.  And while wearing it I was so pleased with just how lovely and wearable Toutouseki was.  Was it full of shimmer and gleam that caught the light with surprising KAPOW?  Yes!  But the very fact that the colors were so low key and translucent allowed me to wear it confidently.  After playing around with a few placements, I found I liked it most worn in a lighter-color dominant placement using the peach as the main lid shade and using the brown just in the outer corner and slightly into the crease and also in the outer third of my lower lash line.  (oops edited to add that I'm wearing the glitter patted with my finger on to the center of the upper lid)
 Other products used in this look:
Chantecaille Future Skin foundation, SUQQU Nuancing Loose Powder in Natural, Ellis Faas concealer.
SUQQU Brown Pen in Moss Green, Hourglass 1.5mm pencil, Guerlain Cils D'Enfer Maxi Lash wp mascara.
SUQQU blush in Momoshuiro, and SUQQU Bright Up Lipstick in Akaanzu.


While I do think this is a sophisticated and nuanced palette, I think it would be ideal for those that love the glitter, love the sheer layerability of SUQQU and very basic neutral shades.  Have you tried any of these new permanent SUQQU trios?  What did you think of them?

Disclosure: this post features a product that was sent free of charge by the brand/PR for consideration.  However, all my opinions are my own!  Yes indeed!  Please check out my full disclosure policy statement here.

32 comments :

  1. Oh, so very pretty! Do you like this wet look finish more than the usual Suqqu?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It is quite pretty! I don't really think this is a really "wet" look like I would see in a magazine editorial or anything. It's very wearable as long as ones tolerance for shimmer and sheen is on the higher side of things. For me the finish is quite lovely, but if I were making my very first purchase, I would probably go for one of the UK exclusive quads first as it would have all the variety of textures to make for more intuitive use.

      Delete
  2. Wow, my comments just don't want to post today. :/

    I was TRYING to say that the comparison photo was the nail in the coffin for me. The more pigmented, less sparkly shades are just so much more attractive to me. But I really appreciate the actual mix of soft pastels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( Blogger likes to eat comments for snacks.

      Over time my preference has been shifting more and more to the ones like the suqqu. You look beautiful in ALL TEH THINGS, Renee!

      Delete
  3. I'm not a SUQQU convert and can't really tell what the huge difference is to the other shades (blasphemous I'm sure!), but it looks lovely on you and seeing the depotted SUQQU shadows always give me joy for some reason. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheheh! Well thanks still for allowing me my detailed study in minutia. Actually, the Visees are really great eye shadow formulas, especially these new perm releases. Sparklesaucy and with more pigment and I think well suited to those looking for less of the sheen as this Suqqu trio.

      Aren't those pans so wonderful! I get such a feeling of eeeeeeeeeeee JOY when I see them. :D

      Delete
  4. Love the look you created! Can certainly tell how beautifully the colours blend into each other. I'm all for sheerer translucent colours, and even though the trio looks very bling against the quad swatches, on your eyes it brings a nuanced glow.

    Do you agree with the 'wet' description? More importantly, are you itching to depot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks very wearable on the eyes! "wet" is the description of their formulation (like some of the shades in 15, 16, 17 quads, too). It is high sheen but not like a high metallic sheen I would expect from a true wet finish.

      Speaking of depotting, there is NO PIN HOLE in these. D: D: I think I can just pry the pans out of the cases, but I'm not 100% sure.

      Delete
  5. Oh this looks lovely on you but i'm not sure it would do much for me since they're pretty sheer. Of the three I'd sure love to get my hands on the peach, I think I'd have quite a bit of fun with it, mixing with other colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) the mixing is always such fun! The peach is very pretty and sure to add dimension mixed with many other eye shadow colors.

      Delete
  6. I really like the warm neutrals on you belly. I am over my suqqu phase (DON'T HATE ME) for a long time now and am not interested in getting more. But they do the flattering neutrals, shimmer thing really well. never over the top. and that's the problem, I like it over the top haha. the new guerlain mascara is really great, isn't it? I have to use up my sample and then get the full size. I like how you can layer all suqqu shades and mix and match up to your preference though / Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can never ever hatechu, Claire! SUQQU is soooo not over the top. :) Which I can see would not be right for some folks' tastes. The Guerlain mascara is really amazing, considering in most cases my lashes are barely visible. I imagine on those with longer and fuller lashes, the effect of this mascara would be crazy dramatic!

      Delete
  7. Oh I love that peach and love all of that together on you. I can't wait to try mine, which has to now first travel to Germany then to holiday with hubby but your posts are getting me excited ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) You have a makeup mule! I hope your hubs can hurry on over with your new trio. Did you end up getting all the three of them?

      Delete
  8. Have you tried layering the colors from this palette with other matte shades? They look like they could add a unique dimension.

    Those depotted shadows look all cozy in their new home. How do you know which is which?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've layered it over a matte brown liner as a base. https://twitter.com/Belly_head/status/504414338405634048/photo/1
      But I thought for purposes of this post, it would be good to show it on its own to give better sense of the trio. :D

      Each pan is labelled in the back. I pull them out individually all the time that I would never be able to tell otherwise if it wasn't labeled!

      Delete
    2. Omg, genius! I can't stop looking at them, actually. They just give off a vibe of satisfied success. And if I didn't say so before (because I was mesmerized by teh shadowz), you look amazing in your photos :)

      Delete
  9. I so love this trio on you! <3 Omg. The lower lash line is beautifullll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) So brightening, right? Thank you! All the complexity is due to two of those shades.

      Delete
  10. *swoon* this is right up my alley! I agree with Carina, that lash line..

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much pretty! How does the pink look a bit lilac on the bottom lash line? Btw are you hitting pan with that visee palette soon? I'm on the fence about getting some because Adam has them now but sold out on the colours I wanted lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think because I've slightly blended the black in the waterline. It must be mixing with the trio shades to pick up some lilac tones. I didn't use any other product except for the black liner & mascara for the eyes.

      Maybe pick 'em up on Ichi? They always seem to reliably have the Visees in stock.

      Delete
  12. I can't believe I missed this!!! First of all, I'm admiring your picture-taking skill, in which I can clearly see the sparkle v.s. shimmer. Second, I think this is a grown-up version of SPARKLY! I love what SUQQU does to all the palettes, they are truly refined & understated without missing that "edge."
    O.k. broken record here, but do you have any pull at all w/ someone at Suqqu When are they going to jump over to this side of the pond a la Charlotte Tilbury? I love them, stop teasing, Suq!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. blogger keeps eating my comments! (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
      I love how SUQQU is the epitome of refinement, which I can understand how people can think it is too sedate. I think for my tastes and preferences, I love this level of pigmentation and shimmer. :) And looks so nice on my skin lately.

      I can only hope the SUQQU powers that be are reading this post and see all this pent up demand we have in the US for this brand! GIVE US EASY ACCESS!

      Delete
  13. Really liking the look of those shades, very soft and twinkly :) Its very lovely on you. As the trios are now on Selfridges I should probably do my duty and place an order :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I love the delicate sparkle of this trio. Thank you!

      Delete
  14. Very belated comment but you made me lemm the Visee palette, I shall go look for it soon.
    I've hit pan on the pink shade in Himesango in...like 1 month? I don't know how! >.< I've been looking for a dupe ever since. The peach trio looked close but I'm not 100% sold on getting it just for the peach. The other two shades are rather meh for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WUT? How is it possible to hit pan in one month?! :OOOO

      Delete
    2. I don't know what I did?? I really packed it on, but also, I really dig at it with my Shu Uemura 10N brush. Maybe my brush are a lot.
      So how does the peach really compare tone wise and color wise?? Other than being more pigmented.

      In the past two weeks I've gotten so frustrated at looking for pinks I think I should just cave.

      Delete
    3. Actually you don't have to answer my previous question anymore, I just bought it while on a seat job trip for spring 2015

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...