Sunday, July 6, 2014

Chantecaille Compact Makeup Foundation

It is fully summer here and I have many days where I would like to further streamline my face routine.  I have dreams to dabbing my nose delicately with a eiderdown powder puff, pinching my cheeks to bring out the rosy blooms of youth, pouting my naturally reddened lips and dashing out the house.  Since this is my dream, I am getting into my chauffeured vehicle and I am headed out to lunch at a place with table cloth and polished silverware.

Wait.

Wait, stop talking to me.

Wait, I'm still having my dream moment.

Since all the above is not going to happen, I did splurge on another Chantecaille foundation item, the Compact Makeup with the hopes of living the "just powder my nose" dream.  Within the substantially large and clunky mirrored compact is a powder foundation designed to be used either alone on bare skin to even or layered over another foundation for extra coverage.  It's supposed to be great for oily skin, creating a matte finish as well as hydrate the skin.
 While matte is not my base product finish of choice (I like finishes that are dewy), I figured with the heat of summer, matte is not a bad thing.  A dewy product has all the tendency to make me look like a swarthy, sweaty porcine in the heat after all.


I selected Bamboo, which is a pale yellow toned shade with most definite lean towards olive.  Pale olive people, REJOICE!   The porting-friendly case has an enclosed sponge.  I've been using a dense brush to apply (the Tom Ford cream foundation brush).  I wish I had a nice flat-topped kabuki.  I can see how owning one item (like this foundation) seems to immediately create the need for another single-use item.
It is a lovely feeling product, feeling at once light, but with a creamy feel.
Here it is on my NC20 (I'm guessing) inner arm.  I've swatched with my fingertip rather heavily, but it doesn't look powdery or built up to an unnatural, cakey swipe.

My feeling having used this a few times throughout various weather conditions now is that it is indeed a beautiful feeling and looking product.  My general (original) fear of powder foundation is that it will look cakey, and matte finish would be deadening on my skin.  However, Chantecaille Compact Makeup looks very natural on the skin.  While the initial finish upon application is quite matte, a bit into wear, with my natural skin oil mixing into it, it looks beautifully natural.

The coverage is very minimal however.  If I were looking for some significant evening out or coverage, this would most definitely not be the right product when worn alone.

Let's take a look at how it covered and performed.  (Lets pretend that I am not so oddly yellow looking)
I have generally good skin.  I have some minimal uneven coloring with bothersome redness under my nose and a little on my chin.  My have some darkness under my eyes.  With just the Compact Foundation (applied over moisturizer and sunscreen), it just evens everything out without obliterating all the unevenness, dark circles.

The other way to wear this product is to layer over another product for fuller coverage.  You can see the coverage evolution a little bit in the pictures below.


I quite like the light level of coverage.  It just tones the redness down and makes me look just this side of perfected.  The fuller coverage achieved with the layering is also great, but it feels too heavy for me (in look, it feels light regardless of the layering!).

I'm all for natural looking skin.  The top picture below is a macro-setting view of my skin.  It looks like my skin, slight texture and all.  The lower picture (also macro) is the layered (powder over liquid).  It looks much more perfected and pore less, which definitely has its place!
I also originally worried that powder would cling unattractively to the flakes on my skin, but it seems to do just fine and not emphasize those icky flakes.  I suspect it's a really low coverage nature (hence pigmentation) that helps it not look hideous on flakes.

One definite con is that lasting power is not great and requires reapplication during the day when used alone.  This is not a huge issue since the compact is so portable.  It did do a pretty good job keeping the soft matte look, but completely faded away within 4 or so hours.  Over foundation, the whole face stayed intact well, requiring only light powdering of my t zone late afternoon.

Do you have some good powder foundations that you use during hot humid months?  What's your best tips for keeping skin looking fresh when the mercury hits sky high?

ingredients:
Talc, Mica, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Myrystyl Trisiloxane, Silica, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Lauryl Lactate, C26-54 Alkyl Tetradecyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Caprylyl Methicone, Glycine Soja Oil, Zinc Stearate, Trimethylolpropane Triisostearate, Chlorphenesin, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Octyldodecanol, Potassium Sorbate, Polyperfluoroethoxymethoxy Difluoroethyl Peg Phosphate, Zinc Oxide, Tetrasodium Edta, Phyllanthus Emblica Extract, BHT; May Contain: Mica CI 77019, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Iron Oxides CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, Ultramarines CI 77007.

23 comments :

  1. Hey Belly, your bare skin looks great! I can definitely see this foundation doing something though, and I like how it looks! I think most powder foundations fail to stay all day, but as you said, it's not that big of a deal since it's easy to reapply. I like Estee Lauder Double Wear Light when it gets really hot and humid! That thing LASTS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaas! Those EL formulas wear like iron! That might be something to look into for me if I really need to look a bit more polished. But these days, with the sweltering heat, I just want to go nekkid! Is that so wrong? :)

      Delete
  2. I too see the difference but you barely need it, gorgeous skin!!! Perfect for a hot day! I enjoyed an EL BB cream last summer but I think this year I'll just go with the Avon Smooth Minerals compact foundation I have. Super cheap and it covers the redness on my cheeks nicely. Unless it's super hot/humid it lasts all day under my bronzer and it's more comfortable than a cream base. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very lucky and do not need a lot of coverage in my foundation products. :) Is the Avon a powder foundation, too?

      Delete
    2. Yup it is! Discovered it a few years back and I can honestly say it's amaizeball! Not too matte it looks super natural and I had been thinking about getting a high end but there's no need since this one works so well for me. :)

      Delete
    3. great find, Helene! There totally is no need... except for yummmmm, new makeups!

      Delete
  3. *pale olive person rejoicing*

    I think your bare skin looks um, THE SAME, SILLY BELLY. I like light powders for summer too, though, as the natural finish is really helpful in the sticky months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't figure out what skin tone I am really, but this one seems like a nice enough match. So yay, olive? :)

      Put on yer glasses, Larie! Wot you mean the same?!! Heheh. Light powders are feeling so light and nice on the skin. I hope I get good use out of this during the gross months.

      Delete
  4. Even though your skin is amazing without makeupz, I am impressed this compact doesn't dull your skin at all, can see a subtle glow in the pictures. I've owned their HD perfecting powder for some time now, and that's more or less translucent setting compact powder, but I think I'll need to go back and have a looksee at this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you need just a tad more coverage, it might be a nice option to consider, too! In real life, the initial coverage is a little dead until the skin oils mix in a bit. This morning, I sprayed with a moisturizing mist (the Amore Pacific one) and the finish was really pretty right off the bat.

      Delete
  5. Oh Belly... what flakiness?? You put my skin to shame! Anyway, I really need to try some Chantacaille soon.... the brand withdrew from Singapore sometime ago, and then i just cant get around to picking stuff up online. Btw, if you're into sheer powder foundations that are not completely matte, you can look at YSL's Le Teint Touche Eclat compact powder... a mouthful i know, but i love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I think I cropped out all the flaky bits (on my chin and at my hairline). I've been soooo lazy about proper skincare and moisturizing lately that I'm very dry and flaky in parts.

      Too bad the brand withdrew from Sg, Linda! It has a very expensive image, but a lot of the products (like the lip things) are very much in line or less expensive than other luxury brands. I do find their foundation and skincare very pricey, though, including this Compact Makeup.

      Thanks for the YSL rec! I will check it out the next time at the YSL counter, Linda!

      Delete
  6. I live in a country where the weather is above 90 degrees most of the day and the humidity is about 90%. So even if you don't sweat, you still feel sticky! It really is impossible to find a foundation that lasts all day if you're outdoors. If you're in an air conditioned office most of the day, then yes, of course. So, for me lately, when I need to run errands outdoors for about 3 to 4 hours, I wear a BB cream then top it with a powder foundation. Lancome makes some pretty good ones, but as far as I know, we get the Asian ones made in Japan. Shade match is impressive and I've been loving their Maqui Blanc powder foundation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lily! Love hearing from you since your climate is ne plus ultra of the hot & sticky. (love hearing from you all the time regardless of your climate, Lily!)
      I didn't realize that your Lancome things were made in Japan!! I wonder what the differences are, though I know we get less of many brands' offerings especially of brightening ranges.

      Delete
  7. I'm jealous of your beautiful skin!! I love the idea of powder foundation, and every so often do try another one out. I think my favorite as far as finish has been the Laura Mercier mineral one. Beautiful finish with coverage that can be built up. The only thing is it didn't wear all that well around my oily bits, but I never tried it with a primer - perhaps that would be better? Not sure this Chantecaille would have enough coverage for me, but the compact is beautiful and I love that you can take it with you (as opposed to the LM that is loose). So I dunno...I'm still on the hunt :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I got so lucky with nice skin. I must thank my parents since I really didn't take care of it (barely even washing it right) for a long time. YES for random genetic jackpot.

      I've been experimenting with all sorts of different ways of wearing this powder, so definitely try out the primer. Today, I'm wearing it over a tinted physical sunblock and applied it with a big flat Shu brush which is looking really good.

      The Chante really doesn't have a lot of coverage unles you are wearing it over another foundation or BB/CC cream. The compact is a bit bulky and taking up too much room in my makeup bag, but aside from that, so far so good!

      Delete
  8. Your skin looks awesome!!! And don't worry, you're not the only one with folder yellow coloring, I'm also like that. Why the heck this powder is not sold in Mexico? I need something like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are on that foundation mission! The light coverage will really let all your adorable freckles shine through. Is there no Chantecaille in MX?

      Delete
    2. No, there's no Chantecaille in MX... at least not in the main Department Stores.
      yes, I'm in a foundation mission... I've done already swatches of some samples I got, and I'm starting to test a couple. Let's see how it works.

      Delete
    3. I just read your new post! Have you tried the EL Invisible one? It seems to be the non-alcohol version of Chanel VA.

      Delete
  9. "I have generally good skin." Uhm.. YEAH!!! LOL, O.k. flattery aside, I found Chante powder products are quite creamy - like you said. While I haven't tried this powder foundation, but I owned both Chante loose and the shake-in-a-tube SPF powder which I still can wear during winter time (I have dry skin), so I probably won't recommend them on someone who has v. oily skin.

    Hmm.. it's a tough question, to keep skin looking fresh in this summer heat. As you read already, I skip foundation. Then I probably will try one of those oil-absorbent paper that I saw a lot when I was in Asia (like little kiosks would sell them). It's hard when you have to look tip top, I'm counting my blessings that my office is at the local park. How about primer? My dream is to find an SPF that doubles as a decent primer, that would be a good compromise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) eheheh. I know, it sounds so ... dang smug or something. I do have good skin if only a few flakes and some pigmentation things are my only issue. I think it's so curious that Chante markets the oil control properties in both this product as well as my fave Future Skin foundation. FS definitely does nothing for my oilies. This kind does because the finish is matte, but I don't think it's really any fab for oil control.

      Skipping foundation really does make skin feel fresher! I agree! Lately using this powder over my tinted physical sunblock seems to be a good option. I use often the Biore face milk as ss & primer. It mattifies as well as protect, but I believe the alcohol bugs a lot of people.

      Delete
  10. that looks nice! btw i got the urban decay naked powder and it actually is nice. (I saw it in a sali hughes video where she was like, "the packaging is rubbish but i like this better than the hourglass ambient powders" lol)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...