Wednesday, June 4, 2014

SUQQU Balancing Cheeks in Momoshuiro 01 and Usuzakura 02

When Suqqu released their SS14 product offering, they offered two new permanent blushes.
Please say hello to Momoshuiro (left) and Usuzakura (right).  Momoshuiro is described by the brand as peach coral and Usuzakura as sweet pink.  When I posted about all the SS14 collection from the press release in February, I mentioned I was very interested in these new Balancing Cheeks blushes but worried about the overall pigmentation.  My previous experience with Momozoe, another Balancing Cheeks (now long gone from my blush drawer) was slightly disappointing since the color was so pretty, but the colors didn't really show on my skin.
 
First let have a little ramble through the format of these blushes.  On the left side is the light and matte finish color which is supposed to be sebum resistant.  The right shade is deeper (also I think dustier in tone) shimmery shade, using something called "wet granulation" which is the same formula as the new base shades in quads 15 Mitsucha, 16 Hanashoubu and 17 Yomogiiro.  And similar to the eye shadow base shades, there are visible shimmers that provide an overall glow to the skin where applied.
A closer look at Momoshuiro:
This is not a vibrant blush by any stretch of the imagination, is it?  The pale matte shade is a soft warm peach.

The right side is a deeper color, which I guess is the "coral" part of this blush.  To me, it's more rose, with a slight tilt to peach when I lean the pan one way or the other.  More peach in the above picture, more rose in the below picture.  In the pan picture, you can see the textural differences between the left matte pan and the right side shimmer pan.  The distinction is even more dramatic in the swatches.
Here are the swatches of Momoshuiro.  I've first swatched (L to R), the pale matte shade on the left, then the shimmer shade and then finally, a blend of both shades.

Consistent to my experience with pretty much all powder products from the Suqqu brand, Momoshuiro is silky and smooth with no heaviness or density.  There is no dustiness, chalkiness, powderiness despite the pale tones of the blush.

Look at the middle swatch.  The natural direct light tends to amplify the shimmer and you might be able to discern some very prominant glittery bits.  Since I wear the two shades blended (right side swatch), the effect is more luminous and less GLITTAHHHHH!  On my face, it looks like angelic glow.  Also that sebum claim?  I have dry cheeks, so I can't attest to that and I don't feel like applying this all over my nose and forehead to validate that claim.  Heyyyyyy, new blush placement ideas! 

However, I will note that this is not a pigmented product.  I have similar colors that pack a much greater punch.  For my winter pale skin (NC15 to 20), it show up well, but as I approach closer to NC20, I do need to layer more heavily for the color to show.  The pigmentation is something to consider if you want to pick this one up, but if your thing is glowing and subtle color, then this is it for you!


Now, let's see Usuzakura, or beautiful Sweet Pink.
Usuzakura is a super pale shade.  Same format.  You can see how the white/silver silver is really gleaming in the right side pan.
Swatches of the L) left side pan M) right side pan and R) blended of the two pans.  It's a really delicate and pale warm pink.  It's not Barbie-toned and really lovely.  The blended shade in particular has a lovely finish.

Again though, it doesn't have a ton of pigmentation even though the finish and the feel of the product is superb.

I thought you might like some comparisons to some similar colors among my peachy shades and light pinks.  You might find a more pigmented option that might suit your preferences better.

Here are the peaches and corals that I've selected.
Going by pigmentation alone, Edward Bess Blush Extraordinaire in Secret Affair would be the "winner".  It is also more satin in finish and darker.  This is total accidental clown city if not applied carefully.  Of the more delicate in pigmentation and glowing in finish options, Chanel's Fleur du Lotus might be a great alternative.  Of course, this was the Asia exclusive from a few years back that Nordstrom had in the US as an exclusive.  It pops up from time to time on evil bay and blog sales.

For Usuzakura, Chanel Narcisse* immediately came to mind as the blush to compare.  Pan color looks different, but the swatches...hmmm...interesting.
Here are Usuzakura and Narcisse swatched together and hopefully you can see how close these colors are on my arm.  The very sheeny finish on Narcisse is much more glowy than shades in Usuzakura.  If you own Narcisse (DC) or other of its dupes, then you might feel you have your very pale pink niche filled.

By the way, I am wearing Usuzakura in my recent post on Suqqu Hanashoubu (also from the SS14 releases).
Well, definitely not unique butterflies in my blush collection of coral/peach/pinks, but the beautiful finish and look of them on my cheeks make them awful lovely things to own.  I do wonder if there are any more unique colors of blush I do want to add or if I've maxed out on color/finish combinations.  Things to thunk about, huh?

_____________________________________________________________________________
disclaimer: * indicates a product received without charge as a pr/marketing sample for consideration

17 comments:

  1. Narcisse was my fav chanel blush! I like those chanel muffins a lot. I like how subtle and sheeny the suqqu looks on you, I bet it would look gorgeous layered on top of a strong red or berry blush as well. oh, and that EB blush looks yummy! / Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Narcisse is a really lovely blush! Did you actually finish off one of those Chanel muffin tops??!!!

      Wonderful idea to layer, Claire! The sheens would be a nice complement to layer over all sorts of colors.

      Delete
    2. ha, no way. I never finished a blush I think. I purged narcisse some time ago, and I miss it from time to time. I have like major toss/purge sessions several times a year, because I simply just don't like having a huge stash ya know. (huge, aka beauty people huge, I guess for normal people, my stash is indeed huge lol).

      Delete
  2. Oooo those are lovely! Momoshuiro would probably get a little more love from me though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are just so easy to throw on. :) But I agree, Momoshuiro is really a great one.

      Delete
  3. Oy. I've managed to restrain myself from buying anything from SUQQU because I'm pretty sure that would be the beginning of a new obsession, but you 're killing me with the pale pink blush. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) hehe, sorry to tempt, Rosie. They are not unique colors, but the really lovely powdered textures from the brand are very special.

      Delete
  4. Both are much more sparkly than I thought, must look equally amazing in a highlighter type way too! I need to get my paws on some EBs!!! That one looks stunning!
    Re Cool Lavender Blush: Sadly I dont have one true lavender per se, I need to mix up a purple with a soft cool pink, but I've been wanting to up pick some MUFE purplies, so the hunt is on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sparkle shade is very very sparklesome! I agree, I think the Usuzakura shimmer shade would make a nice highlight, too. :)
      Let me know which parphle shades are working for you. If anything, that might be the one "hole" in my blushes.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the in-depth explanation of different textures of these blushes. Both are lovely but I'm also on the fence, I feel I've got lots in my stash that can perform before jumping into any of these... well they are definitely contenders if I need a replacement. Excellent pictures, too!! I think you are getting really good at swatching & taking outdoor pictures w/ the new camera! I can clearly see the differences in shades & shimmer/glow/GLITAH gradations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For someone with a bare bones blush collection (or people like me that just love the brand and to collect!), these are wonderful additions, but if people are wary of dupes and wary of lighter pigmentation, these are safe passes.

      Glad you like the pictures. I have to say, since getting the new camera, I learned a lot more about general photography that I'm pretty sure that if I went back to my old point & shoot I can do well with that camera too.

      For anyone taking beauty blog pictures out there, if I can do it, you can, toooooo! And as is always the case for me, being outside in bright natural light always makes the photos look nice.

      Delete
    2. So do you find any article/youtube/blog post that is particularly helpful with picture taking? I watched a couple of basic photography-taking tutorials in youtubes (I can share with you if you like, but they are really basic). It helps a lot understanding about color balance, etc, but my camera is somewhat limited. Anywho.. yes, go Belly, go!!!

      Delete
    3. If I encounter blog posts, I usually read them, but I don't recall any specific ones. Really helpful were other bloggers that wrote in to give me tips on equipment, lenses, etc. I think it was my general lack of basic photography concepts that was most improved though, and that is something that was the most helpful. Also I really read my camera manual and then purchased a book that was written to maximize the use of the specific camera's features. When I take pictures, I really play around with my settings - white balance if the light is shifting around, and the focus to play up the glitter. Probably for every one photo that makes it on the blog, 20 don't make it! :D

      Delete
  6. *grabby hands at Usuzakura* Do you think this would show up on an NC10-NC15?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blocks*

      I'm pretty sure it would show up really nicely.

      Delete
  7. Usuzakura looks so unique! Love it with your Hanashoubu FOTD, too. So far I haven't met a Suqqu blush I didn't like...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who doesn't love a gorgeous pink blush, right? :D

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...