Monday, May 26, 2014

SUQQU Bright Up Lipstick Swatch Set

On my recent Selfridges online order, I purchased another Bright Up lipstick from Suqqu.  I don't see a ton written up about the Bright Ups, but as far as fuller pigment lipsticks go, I really love them!  While I love the slippy pigmented goodness of the Creamy Glows, Bright Ups actually feel kinder on my fickle lips.  Speaking of Creamy Glows, I saw on the Suqqu global website that there are several UK exclusives that have been resurrected including several of the Creamy Glows and eye shadow palettes in 01-06!  Rejoice!
The Bright Up lipsticks cases are distinguished by the light golden trim in the middle of the case.  I am now the proud owner of 02 Hanabeni, 03 Barairo and 07 Akaanzu.  I did have 04 Outouiro at one point, which I purged because it was too light to really flatter my lips and skin tone.

Here there are in numerical order from left to right: 02 Hanabeni, 03 Barairo and 07 Akaanzu.
Can you actually tell these are even different shades in the bullets?  I kind of can't!  That's kind of the biggest failing for me in the Bright Ups.  All the shades are so very polished and similarly mid tone.  I think we can really use some more variety of depth and colors in them.  Don't you agree?

Here are they swatched, again in the same order L to R, 02 Hanabeni, 03 Barairo and 07 Akaanzu.  Suqqu described them as creamy matte, but as you can see, it has a soft shine to the finish.
Both Hanabeni and Akaanzu were posted in more depth earlier here.  My new addition 03 Barairo is slightly more blue toned pink than the warmer rosy 02 Hanabeni.  It is similarly pigmented as Hanabeni.  Akaanzu (one swipe of the bullet here) is more beige in tone as well as much sheerer than the other two.

Here are the colors again, with my arm angled a bit differently and showing the tonal differences better.
Right?  These are all very my lips but better type of shades.  03 Barairo actually has a fair bit of contrast to my skin when I wear it on my lips.  I shall be featuring it shortly!

I am finding the Bright Ups supremely easy to wear on brain addled morning when I can not figure out what lipstick to coordinate with my life.  I am loving the beautiful soft refined colors and the creamy feel on my lips.  But Suqqu, I won't be gravely opposed to some crazy bright colors.  Thank you!

27 comments :

  1. These all look beautiful, but agree about the colors in general...reminds me of what happened when I received my Suqqu lippies...all slightly different but oh so similar!! Eeeek. Thank you for the swatches :-) Can't wait to see Barairo on your gorgeous face!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) They are kind of... can I say it, a little too refined and maybe even a bit boring? These colors are all perfect for the painted looks I sport on most days. But seriously, we need some more colorful colors here!

      Delete
  2. I hope they let us buy some of the 1-6 quads soon. Can't wait for a post with all the pretties on your gorgeous face too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really excited the quads are back. I wonder when that's going to be. I guess the UK exclusives are making its way back to the counters/website since I am seeing more of the Creamy Glow lipsticks available there, too!

      Delete
    2. I heard on mua that they are back at the counter but not on website yet, I hope they have more stock so I can buy some.

      Delete
  3. Lol I was thinking that they look exactly the same in bullet form! They look like what Japanese lippies does best, sheer creamy colours that makes lips look plump and juicy, very muah-able :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was peering and peering at them and they look alike! :) On the lips they are different, but even still, in the same vein as MLBB refined blah blahs.

      Delete
  4. I agree, the three colors on the bullet are indistinguishable. But I found this to be true with other Japanese line. When I tried Lunasol lipstick in person, they are all a variation of MLBB: a bit peachy, a bit rosy, a bit pink, etc. but all the same tonality/depth of color. Bah! Maybe this is what appeals to Japanese consumer in general.

    Speaking of Bright Up, I was expecting the colors to be BRIGHT-er, what's up with that? Yes, Suqqu, we need some BRIGHT colors in the Bright Up collection :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even on the swatches they are very similar. I agree on other Japanese lines being similarly sedate minded about the color offering. They are super easy colors, which is nice. I can't imagine picking up a 4th color because then I would go into a territory of samesie sames.

      Delete
  5. Oh, this is so useful! I think I'm going to go for Barairo instead of Hanabeni, thanks to these awesome swatches. :D

    Eurrggghh, I hope we're able to get hold of the older quads! I'm too slow for Selfridges' Suqqu page and there's basically nothing there now. I wonder if these are old stock, or if the popularity of these quads actually prompted Suqqu to reissue them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barairo is definitely "brighter." But seriously bright is a relative term since all of these are sooooooooo very subtle.
      I'm not sure if they are old or new stock, but I suspect new since they were completely unavailable for a long time. Are you thinking about getting some of the old quads?

      Delete
    2. I have everything I want from the older collection and while I like all of them, I won't be heartbroken if I used them up... except for <3 Matsukasa <3, so I'm getting a backup!

      What about you? :)

      Delete
    3. ppfff. I will never use any of the old Suqqus up. I barely see any dips actually so I doubt I would buy any backups. But it's really nice that for other folks they are around again!

      Delete
  6. Omg, they are soooo pretty! I would love to have anyone of the first two shades! they are such perfect nudes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THey feel incredible on the lips and really gorgeous textures. :)

      Delete
  7. I have but 1 Suqqu lippy and it is a joy to use. Rue the day that it finishes...I may cry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finishing up one of these favorites would be sad for me, too!

      Delete
  8. Great choice of colors especially the Hanabeni one. Its not that light and not that dark. Though its not that creamy matte as it claims, its not that shiny and its worth the try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much all the color offering of the Bright Ups looks like these (maybe a bit lighter for some). It seems to be a matter of preference of rose or pink or beige and everyone would have a great mlbb shade.

      Delete
  9. So pretty! I think 02 and 03 are especially gorgeous, but 07 probably wouldn't show up on me at all. Though I too am having a lot of trouble telling the bullets apart in the photo. That's one of my fears about ordering from overseas- that I'll wind up with a bunch of stuff that looks either all the same, or nothing like I thought it would look. Or both. That would be my luck. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's totally like playing a weird guessing game. The website pics looks awful inaccurate so who they heck knows what you are ordering. Thank goodness that I got lucky with 3 out of the 4 I ordered, so I am pretty exciiiiited!

      Delete
  10. OMGosh these 3 colors are Da Bomb!!! I could totally see myself owning and enjoying all! You really got lucky! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are great colors, but truth be told, I'm sure I could have lived happily with just one or two since the colors are kind of similar---ish.

      Delete
  11. The lack of color selection is certainly a bummer. You know what I really love about Suqqu, though? The shade names. So poetic! "Akaanzu" means "red apricot," for instance, and "Ginbudou" means "silver grapes." And I'm looking forward to seeing Barairo on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The names are lovely! Although impossible to remember!!!! I didn't know about Akaanzu! That is lovely.
      Have you studied Japanese?

      Delete
    2. Yes, I studied it for nine years! The Suqqu names make me nostalgic for my Japanese classes. I actually knew a girl named Anzu in middle school, so that one was easy for me to remember. :D

      Delete
  12. I don't have any Suqqu lippies since I promised myself not to order lipstick without trying ever again. I have though, since then, broke my promise several times so I think I can break once again ;-) Especially given your lovely swatches. I especially like Barairo, which looks like my kinda nude. *adds it to her wish list*

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...