Monday, May 5, 2014

Sisterhood of the Traveling Palette Series: Addiction Ready to Wear Palette in Departure

What is this Traveling Palette you say?  Can one palette inspire and flatter multiple faces?  Let's try it!  Liz from So Lonely in Gorgeous is also featuring this traveling palette, so do check out her post and the amazing looks she's created (here).  Liz and I are not sisters by blood, of course, but for the love of many common makeuppy interests she so IS!  *fistbump*  *hipbump*  *chestbump* *knocksheads*

Departure.  I have to admit, this one has actually been languishing for a long time in my eye shadow drawer.  Not actually unloved, just unused.  Why it's been so unused that I've placed it in my "to-purge" bin.  I've been having a hard time feeling motivated to put this one on in the morning, but with the Traveling Palette concept, I think it's high time for this sucker to do its magic.  You know, give me a fabulous looking rear end, and wipe away the cellulite.  I hope I'm not in for a big disappointment.
This looks like it would give me a great butt    )   )
Okay, so using Departure, I did a day look and an evening look.  Shall we take a look?

DAY
It seems to me that the periwinkle glitter shade and the sparkly burgundy shade are what tilts this palettes squarely into the bling bling zone so for daytime purposes I took the top left olive and the bottom left warm grey as the main shades.  I did use both the periwinkle and the burgundy though to give some interest to the eye look.

I used the olive on the upper lid up to the crease and also on the lower lash line.  I then used the grey to slightly overlap the olive on the upper lids and also blended out past the socket.  I also layered the grey over the olive on the lower lash line.  I used the burgundy on the outer third of the upper lash line as a slight accent.  A teeny pop of the periwinkle was placed in the center of the upper lash line to act as blingy light catcher.  I've also used THREE Flash Performance eye liner in 07 Eye Doll to define my lash line.
Strong brows to frame the eyes and lots of mascara in this look.  Other products used: Chantecaille Future Skin Foundation (Chamomile + Porcelain mixed), Ellis Faas concealer, Rouge Bunny Rouge Impalpable Finishing Powder (OMG!),  Rouge Bunny Rouge blush in Orpheline, and Rouge Bunny Rouge sheer lipstick in Fluttering Sighs.

Alrightie, then.

NIGHT
Hallmark of versatility is a palette's ability to flex and show some muscle & oomph.  With Departure's complex shimmer, it's a natural for that.  In my version of a Night appropriate look, I used one of the palette's best feature, which is the complexity of the layered shade.

I ran into some trouble, which is, I am REALLY just a dabbler in makeup rather than any true makeup magician and I lack some serious skills and symmetry in application!  :D  Don't worry!  It didn't deter me from piling on tons and tons of makeup to achieve this nighttime abomination!

One thing that is an interesting feature of my face is how much dramatic makeup colors and contrast my face can actually carry off.  Piling it on is definitely achieves drama but I feel like I can still apply something more.  Doing this look also made me want to apply some talon shaped nail extensions and paint them red.
To achieve that bizarro extended wing shape, I used THREE Flash Performance eye liner in 02 Eye Believe.  Then I layered the Departure olive and grey and blended softly above the socket line.  Same layer of the eye liner, grey and olive on the lower lash line was applied.  Both the burgundy and then the periwinkle were patted on top of the whole thing.  I've used a black kohl (Chanel) for the upper and lower waterline and gobs of mascara.

And THEN since that wasn't anywhere near enough makeup, I used more eyeliner, this time the blue shimmer THREE liner in 04 Eye Belong all over the place and as a wonky accent in the inner corner.
Shell shocked and developing a hernia from carrying the weight of all the makeup
Notable other products and features of this look:  I've left my brows very natural and not intensified, just using a slight dash of Shu Uemura hard 9 pencil in Seal Brown through them and well brushed through.  Suqqu Frame Fix Cream N foundation in 002 and Ellis Faas concealer for base.  I have Guerlain Cruel Gardenia to highlight the tops of my cheekbones.  RBR Impalpable Finishing Powder to set.  Tom Ford (LE/DC) Narcissist blush and Chantecialle Lip Chic in Rose Delice on the lips.
So I just took a look at my rear end, and it is still flabby as it was before.  I am disappoint!  However, I am kind of super pleased with Departure all over again!  What do you think?  Do you think you will give Departure in a Traveling Palette kind of a try?

If you are also interested in participating with your blog, let me know so that I can link you in this post. Are you manly enough for the Sisterhood? No blog, but want to hipbump with us? Let me know in comments what your favorite day and night placements are using Departure.

27 comments :

  1. You guys are making me regret rehoming my Departure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But still, nicole! you must have sent it along to a good home for a reason. If you didn't LOVE it, then you didn't love it. Right? Right?

      Delete
  2. Dangit, now I regret not including it in my JP CP. :( The two looks are fantastic on you, and you also got me interested in that Chantecaille lip chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose Delice is really pretty! It's a little washed out looking in this light. It's darker and brighter in person. :DD

      Delete
  3. Wow, I love the wingy eye shadow shape of the night look, looks really stunning on you, you should do it more often ;-)
    Does the name of the palette play a role in that "traveling" concept, like "departures"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd want to wear that much makeup in person regularly. :) Maybe when I dress up for Halloween with the kids in the Fall.

      This series references the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants which is a movie and a popular novel about a pair of pants that magically fits/flatters a group of girlfriends and inspires happiness. Departure name was a funny coincidence.

      Do you have Departure, Sara? Want to play?

      Delete
    2. I have Depatures, the way I wear it though is really intense, lol.

      Delete
  4. I love your look day/night and this Traveling Palette concept, I'll be living precariously through you, Sisterhood of Traveling Palette!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't handle how beautiful your skin is. Oh, and I guess this eye look is pretty too :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know how it is! the lighting, the makeup and this new RBR powder! <----LOVE THIS POWDER!

      Delete
  6. "Shell shocked and developing a hernia from carrying the weight of all the makeup."

    LMFAO for REALZ, and I don't use that acronym lightly! Put MOAR ON! :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other question is: are you getting the summer quad? :D

      Delete
    2. Hey babes, did you see swatches on mub? Looked sheer and glittery like some of the singles which I didn't care for. I'm passing on this unless I see some spectacular posts on quality and shades. Were you thinking about getting?

      Delete
    3. I kinda had my eye on Suqqu summer, but that disappeared from ichi so quickly and I don't think I've seen any swatches so far! Who are my new rapacious Suqqu rivals?? Don't think I'll get the Addiction summer palette either--I really like the colours, but yeah, I saw spooky's swatches on MUB and they quashed my nascent interest in it. I guess it's all systems go for #16 Hanashoubu. X)

      Delete
    4. Did you mean Suqqu or Addiction? :) I'm getting neither. The pinks of Suqqu wouldn't likely play nice on my skin and the Addiction swatches were meh! I'm thinking Hanashoubu will be the better investment, too...when it gets back in stock... sometime. :D

      Delete
  7. Dayum!! Your skin is flawless!!! I wouldn't have thought, just by looking at the palette, how versatile and laid back it can be. And you are soooo right about the beauty of Narcissist. That's breathtakingly beautiful on you!
    Now I've got an out of control Addiction wishlist... dayum your enabling powers over me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My skin seems to be on the mend from my skincare experimentation! I are happeeee!
      It's the day look that brought this palette back from the purge pile. Now I also have to try the placements from Liz, bc she looked so so so so spectacular with this palette on. :)

      Delete
  8. Brilliant!! I love this concept... Get to see so many new ideas for placement!! Fun Belly!!! Now if only my makeup can make my derrière shapelier too....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything with Liz is so fun! :DDD
      Once we find the butt shaping makeup, we are going to have the most fabulous boo-tay!

      Delete
  9. I love ADDICTION!! Oh my, you have the most stunning features...your cheekbones! *fans self*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) why those sweet nothings.... please tell me MOAR!

      Delete
  10. Hey sissy, Love your looks, especially the last one <3 I love doing this post with you and can't wait for the next. I messages Kate to join us, actually anyone can :)

    You may get your wish, trying to plan a much needed trip to the states (Miami, New York, Hawaii). So, don't forget to leave the porch light now :P

    *fistbump* *hipbump* *chestbump* *knocksheads* *hey macarena*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *waves butt in the air* *heyyyyy, macarena*

      PORCH LIGHT IS PERMANENTLY ON! :DDDD

      Delete
  11. Oh dang that second look is sooo niiiiice!!! Love the liner idea! Now I'm kinda clueless, how come I've never heard of this brand? What magical place is it from? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addiction, SUQQU, THREE... these guys are all Japanese luxury brands. Generally available in limited distribution in Asia (though SUQQU is avail in the UK, too) but all are available on line via ichibankao.com with a big markup. :) THese are all some of my favorite brands. Check out solonelyingorgeous & driveller kate's drivelaboutfrivol for lots and lots of mouthwatering reviews.

      Delete
  12. belly! This palette does look great on you! the colors turned out more neutral than i thought!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...