Saturday, May 10, 2014

Rouge Bunny Rouge Impalpable Finishing Powder in Diaphanous

Sometimes, the Belly internal head dictionary lacks the level of comprehension that a real dictionary has to be pulled out.  What... is... implappy...impulapapab...implubpluble?

im·pal·pa·ble

  [im-pal-puh-buhl]  
adjective
1.
not palpableincapable of being perceived by the sense oftouch; intangible.
2.
difficult for the mind to grasp readily or easily: impalpabledistinctions.
3.
(of powder) so fine that when rubbed between the fingers nogrit is felt.

One more word.  Deefanou...deeahfa....duh... duhfanny?

di·aph·a·nous

  [dahy-af-uh-nuhs]  
adjective
1.
very sheer and light; almost completely transparent or translucent.
2.
delicately hazy.

Such big words, Rouge Bunny Rouge!  Such the big of the words to name this new finishing powder!  I kind of admire a brand that will make me ponder the best base product combination in addition to pulling out the figurative dictionary.

 I wrote a while ago debating whether or not I was going to purchase this powder (here) after seeing Gaia the nonblonde, posting about her favorite powders (here).  You can see I did splurge on this one.  I still have a bit left in my tub of Suqqu Nuancing Loose Powder in Natural and it serves me beautifully still.  One flaw of that powder is that it really lacks oil control.  With my drier skin during the cold weather months, that is really no big deal.  After all, Suqqu sets my foundation nicely and the finished effect is soft and perfected.

While I was waffling this way and that way, Karima's Shameless Fripperies post tipped me over.

I like the thoughtfulness of Rouge Bunny Rouge's design of the container.  The black plastic lid has a protruding flat thingymaboggabiggin.  See the jar in the background of this picture?  The round part of that opening is held flush against the thingymaboggabiggen.  What this means is no loose powder flying around all over the place (Hi, Suqqu).
The nice design extends to the container holding the powder.  Instead of the the usual opening of small holes that allows the powder to be shaken out, there is a fine cloth mesh.  Pressing a brush against the mesh will allow some powder to be released.  Or, the tub can be gently shaken to release the powder.

And so that powder.  Is it really implappy duhfanoo?  Oh yes, oh yes it really is!  They call it a finishing powder rather than a setting powder and it really is a finishing powder.  It is an impossibly light finishing powder.  I notice that if I attempt to use this as a setting powder on top of my normal rotation of whatever foundation, I can feel the foundation underneath the powder moving around a bit.  This confused me when during the day, I would swipe a finger on my normally oily nose and feel oil, and then look in a mirror and see a perfect and softly matte nose.  I thought it was some ingredient in the powder doing that, but it seems to actually be my unset foundation, underneath the dusting of the RBR powder doing that.  WEIRD.

This is a silica heavy powder.  I've tried silica powders before, but those have felt very drying and slightly itchy on my skin.  This feels like a big pile of fairy dust.  It feels like absolutely nothing.  Nada. Something so fine and silky that is almost impossible to load up on the skin looks like.... magic!  I was very pleased to hear all the compliments I received on my skin for some of my recent looks.  I don't retouch anything in the photos of my face, so it's the combination of the lighting and this powder.

Swatching this is kind of a ridiculous exercise, but let's try.  This picture is my bare skin.
And this one is with the powder sprinkled on.  The powder is a soft white color.  The brand mentions something called Actiwhite that is to "whiten and brighten."  I do notice a slight effect that does whiten and brighten.  I'm pretty pale still, but I wonder what this would be like on a more tan or darker skin tone.  The brand mentions this is a universal shade, though.  If you've tried this as well and have a darker skin tone, please comment and let us know how it's been working for you.

Also the powder is so fine and light that I had inadvertently inhaled some in while trying to load the powder on my face.  Now I hold my breath.  I don't want any tiny particulates going into my lungs.
I've blended the powder into my skin here.  Not sure you can see much, but to my eye, it is slightly brighter, slightly hazier and slightly more matte than my naked skin.
It works gorgeously over all my foundations, but what made me think "WOW!" was how it looked over my bare skin.  I'm wearing no foundation in the picture below -- just brow stuff and some cream blush.  My face looks bright and the finish is a very natural soft matte.  (You can see my naked naked face, sans powder or blush in my post on the Addiction Tinted Skin Protector here).  And you can see it as a finishing powder over a fully made up face in my recent Sisterhood of the Traveling Palette post here.
I bought it for the oil control and yes, I get very good oil control which is a great improvement over Suqqu in that aspect.  I tend to blot four hours into my day with my normal Suqqu powder routine, but these days, I am seeing nearly no oil break through and can reasonably get away with no blotting if I can tolerate a tiny bit of glow around mid afternoon.  And since I'm lazy, works for me.

I may have rudely mentioned fairy farts on makeupalley, but uh... I sort of really meant it.  It's magical on my skin and I hope to get some awesome use out of the new Rouge Bunny Rouge Impalpable Finishing Powder.  Hot and sweaty (and oily) summer up ahead.  I'm crossing fingers that this powder continues it's awesome magic.

Have you tried this powder yet?  What are your favorite finishing powder and oil control powders?

ingredients:
SILICA, TALC, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, BORON NITRIDE, MICA, PHENOXYETHANOL, POTASSIUM SORBATE, HEXYLENE GLYCOL, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, GLYCERIN, MALTODEXTRIN, SUCROSE DILAURATE, LAUROYL LYSINE, AQUA (WATER), SODIUM COCOYL GLUTAMATE, ENANTIA CHLORANTHA BARK EXTRACT, PISUM SATIVUM EXTRACT (PISUM SATIVUM (PEA) EXTRACT), CARBOMER, SODIUM LACTATE, POLYSORBATE 20, OLEANOLIC ACID, PALMITOYL OLIGOPEPTIDE, PALMITOYL TETRAPEPTIDE-7

37 comments :

  1. Fairy dust? Magic? Oil control? I would love that one in a compact please!

    Love the container and wished brands would stop trying to reinvent the doe foot applicator and concentrate on loose powders instead. I cleaner makeup table would be fab! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love loose powders!! Though for carrying around purposes, a pressed compact would be nice. Have you tried the loose or pressed Nars LRPs? I wonder if the effect of this RBR to the Nars would be comparable. I've seen that Nars one had very very faint shimmer in it but this one looks totally without shimmer to me.

      You are so funny and so right on about the doe foots! We've seen so many variations lately of them. I'm not a huge liquid/gloss user so not sure any of those innovations actually make any bit of a difference.

      Delete
  2. I just got this too, and I'm in love! I was shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, to see that my face was still matte after my yoga classes this week (important since I go during my lunch break) even though the AC was off in the studio. I ended up repurchasing the travel size of MUFE HD (which didn't really excite me, as I recall) so I can compare them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE to hear which one shakes out (hehehe)!

      Delete
  3. Hey Belly, you make this sound perfect! I know that silica-heavy powders are great for making the skin look EXTRA smooooth, and who doesn't like that?! I might need something with a bit more oil control in summer though. Let me sit on it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very impressed so far! Silica powders do feel incredible. And RBR seems to have created quite a lovely powder with this one. I hope you get to try it out this summer and I'd love to know what you think if you do end up trying it!

      Delete
  4. Wow, Belly, this I gotta try! I live in a humid climate and need all the help I can get. Actually, regular blotting works well... but I am lazy and forgetful so am happy to try something new which might extend the time that I look non-greasy.

    p.s. I reread your previous post and your clarifying comments, and yes, there was less drama than I/we imagined. You were just pointing out some realities. You obviously are an incredibly good writer, though, and can evoke serious thought and emotion in readers...a special and rare talent. Even if you end this blog, I selfishly wish you will continue in some way that can be public (as an adjunct to your real connective hoomin life) as I do love to read what you write no matter what the topic, unless of course, it is some weird esoteric topic. What about writing a book like "Adventures in Makeup"? I would buy..... Anonymous Nutcase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Mother's Day, Belly! You absolutely made my day -- draining be thy noodles???!!! I was in stitches...maybe comedy writing is your forte. Thank you for being you! And hope you are having a lovely day with your loved ones :) Anonymous Nutcase.

      Delete
    2. Hope your Mother's Day was wonderful! It was a beautiful beautiful Spring day here on Sunday and I spent the best day with my family! I LOVE this powder! I spent a lot of time being sweaty outdoors and once I swabbed the sweat off my face, the powder still kept me smooth and softly matte looking! I was really impressed.

      :) That's not my words! That's the Pastafarian Prayer (with my one little alteration) which always makes me laugh. Have you heard of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

      Delete
    3. Mother's Day is always wonderful! I should thank my kids for letting me raise them, but instead I get the thanks...what a deal! I heard about the FSM, but never saw the prayer before. I do enjoy humor, laughing is so wonderful, and free, too!

      p.s. Sorry, I have used wonderful twice...vocabulary limited. Thank you for adding two new words to my stash that I can now fling around, if only I can pronounce them and figure out how I can work them into a conversation...

      Delete
    4. Laughing and Mothers Day ARE wonderful! Now I can bake Impalpable and Diaphanous into my vocabulary. Not sure...where to use these words in regular conversation.
      "Hey, Mo. Your beer tastes particularly diaphanous today."

      Delete
  5. THANK YOU, BELLY!!! I was just shopping at Beautyhabit and was debating about purchasing this. Thanks to you, I think I will. And I couldn't agree more with Anonymous. I think I would buy just about any book you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, maybe if you are ordering other things you can ask them for a sample of the powder? I think in general BH is really nice with generous samples. :) I don't think I can possibly write a book; my attention span is really small.

      Delete
  6. THIS WILL BE MINE.

    Though I should maybe think of moving to some place with real winters so I can use up more of my Suqqu. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or give lots of samples away to friends. ---> me

      Delete
  7. I NEED ME MAGICAL FAIRY DUSTS TOO!!

    Your nudie face is perfect! Wipes away droolz...

    I've never really thought that finishing powders had it in them to control oil, thought they were the job of setters... Now the lines are blurred and finishers are stepping up! Have you tried the Nars (I assume silica-based) one? I wonder if it's similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only tried the Nars LRP at Sephora which felt nice, too! But haven't testing the loose or pressed one for any duration. Now I see I don't need to since this one seems to fit the bill for me.

      Silica is used for oil control specifically, so this RBR is fantastic-sauce! YAYYYYY!

      Delete
  8. Oh noooo hahaha I have hit my threshold for finishing powders. D: I myself enjoy the bareMinerals mineral veil and the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders (specifically Mood Light and Ethereal Light). Been enjoying the new LMdB Peau Vierge Anti-Aging Pressed Powder, too, though! That one's a great product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally hear you on the threshold!!! I really want to get the Paul & Joe ballz and another Guerlain one, but I already have one so there is no way I need anything more--- considering how subtle the effect each of those have to show any noticeable differences.

      Delete
  9. THAT is your bare skin with translucent powder dusted on top?! Gaaah, so jealous. I have way too many powders at the moment and have a feeling this would probably do nothing in the oil control department on me, but... I want to be impalpably diaphanous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm.. well, I generally have good skin to begin with, but this is totally the frosting on a cake. I lurrrrve this powder. I do have a pretty oily t zone so I'm duly impressed!

      And really, who doesn't want to be implapa flappy doofanoo?

      Delete
  10. Well who wouldn't want a big pile of fairy dust on their face I ask you!
    You of course realise that everyone who reads this post will have to buy this now don't you..runs to RBR site....
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And those little porcelain RBR bunnies! WHO DON"T WANT? WHO?

      Delete
    2. Also, I wish the shipping from the RBR site to the US was more reasonable. It is very fast, but also so very very expensive. :( sad.

      Delete
  11. If you read out the ingredients it might sound like someone casting a spell in a fantasy film :P

    umm cough..I have 2 pots of suqqu to finish, the first one has fine shimmer and the unopened one doesn't but they have the same name and shade.

    Btw your last post was really hitting home and blogger ate my comment and seeing this post makes me happy because you haven't disappeared into the aether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew magical fairy farts were made out of maltodextrine? Who knew? :)
      I thought Natural was the shimmerfree and the Glow was the shimmer in the Suqqu powder. I hope you don't have two pots of the same! Is the Shimmer one nice? I actually went through the Suqqu Natural really quickly... *cough* could be that I gave so much way, but still.

      I don't plan on disappearing any time soon! :D

      Delete
    2. I think they reformulated it because I purchased one in 2009 and another in maybe 2010 and they are not the same but they are labelled the same. I just noticed they look different (when in direct sunlight) one day from the bottom and I went "oh crap they are different", I haven't used the 2nd one to see if it is very different. I don't use the suqqu powder often, you know that hot climate thing rendering it useless. It is nice as a blending e/s, toning down blush or something, doesn't do anything for oils...pretty much nothing works once it gets hot and humid here and just thank mu gods that everything doesn't go mushy or mouldy during those days.

      Delete
    3. I think my pot is only a year+ old. Mine is definitely all matte. HUHHHH. This is very mysterious.
      Some of my more fragile lip things (like Fresh balms & some RBR) get very soft in the summer, but it never gets that bad. One would need a lipstick fridge if it got so bad! D:

      Delete
    4. I don't like how ysl lipsticks do the sweat thing... so ugly when that happens. I think my addiction did that when I left it in the car :( but it's still good. I think Dior and Lunasol are the only ones that turned on me from heat and 2 yrs of age.

      Delete
  12. "I'm wearing no foundation in the picture below -- just brow stuff and some cream blush."
    ?!?!
    GO AWAY D:
    But really, I'm glad you like the powder as much as I do! I actually find the SUQQU powder to be more mattifying but I prefer a feather light veil of powder (normal skinned bla bla) so I've been reaching for the RBR powder, despite disliking powders.

    PS: I laughed out loud.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RBR seems much more like: I'm born this fabulous! It's like not wearing anything at all! With the SUQQU, I can definitely overload and end up looking powdery if I overdo it. I don't think it's possible with the RBR.

      Teehee!

      Delete
  13. That is an enviable lustre to your skin! I wish with all my might that powder worked on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yasumi! :) My mom & dad passed on good skin genes! Are you not a fan of powders? :(

      Delete
  14. Ah..it looks so magical, bright and perky on your skin....boy am I tempted. I've been looking for a good setting powder comparable to MUFE's Microfinish as the packaging's just a mess (and a huge waste). This mesh screen is ingenious! Need to hunt down some fairy farts for myself too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhh!! With the cheap shipping on their website I'm so tempted to try this...and I'm not even a fan of loose powders!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...