Friday, April 11, 2014

THREE Pressed Eye Color Duo in 09 Invisible Ethereal

You know what makes me sad?  When a long anticipated product from one of my most cherished brands don't perform up to expectation.  This is the kind of product if it were your first introduction to the brand or Japanese eye shadows might make you go, "Ehhh."
 
Which isn't to say that this eye shadow duo is without merits.  I mean, just look at how beautiful the pans looks.  And as is the normal duo format, includes a cream shade on the left and a powder shade on the right.  Each product you can use individually, but layering the powder over the cream often yields some magical complexity in the combined shade.
 
In Spring, along with the new Velvet Lust lipsticks which I already showed this week (here), THREE also introduced four more permanent eye shadow duos: 07 Let the Happiness In, 08 Third Eye Open, 09 Invisible Ethereal and 10 Dark Eyed Angel.  Seems there might be a reformulation of the cream shade which is imparted with pearls and transforms from cream to powder.  The other duos I have never seemed to completely set (into powder or otherwise).


The colors are:
  • brown-and-grey balanced khaki with a beautiful blend of shimmer particles.  The shimmer is very fine though (in pale cool gold, pink, green, blue, orange that I can tell)
  • cool and grey lavender in a mostly satin silvery finish
     
Regarding the wear of this duo, I find it to last better than the other duos I own.  Of the other ones I own, the cream tends to fade after a few hours, even over primer which is probably my biggest quibble about these THREE eye stuff.
 
I had a very hard time selecting Invisible Ethereal over the others.  It would have been really hard to pick two of the four even more so!  Each duo seems to contain a shade from one of the others, either a brown, a lavender or a peach.
I also wondered if Invisible Ethereal looked too similar to the other THREE quads or duos I owned, but upon close inspection the cream and powder shades were unique.
Only thing vaguely similar was the right side powder shade in 06 Winter Love (shown on the right side of the free-form palette, on the bottom), which is more mauve and Invisible Ethereal more lavender and grey.
So what's my problem with such an elegant pairing of colors?
 
In the wise and immortal words of Clara Peller who wisely declared her famous words: "Where's the Beef?"
The textures are silky and so right on the level of my other THREE eye products and the colors and the shimmer are beautiful.  What I wasn't impressed with is just how sheer the colors were.  Here are the swatches.  I mean it shows, but it shows so sheerly.  The cream is on the right, the powder in the middle and cream+powder on the right.

My winter holiday long gone, my skin is pretty pale.  I wonder if it would show up more on my more tanned skin in the summer or if it would show up even less.
 
The pretty sheen on the shades and the texture are beyond lovely.  It's just that the base colors barely show.  These are built up a few times.  Usually on the blog, I swatch with one finger swipe.
It probably would be helpful to show how it looks on the eyes, but I wasn't all that motivated to show something that looks like a wash on the lids.  I will try to show it on other posts or update this in the future.  I wear wash shades because they are swipe and go and easy and fast to do.  As you know, these cream shades take a bit of work to apply (here is my cream application post).  For all that work, I'd like a little more something something than looking just like a wash.

Maybe I am being kind of a picky pain in the ass, but this one really didn't pass the muster with me.  I am looking for divine and skin flattering texture along with pigmentation that actually shows on the skin.  Suqqu's eye shadows also have the (unfair, imo)  reputation that they are sheer, but those tend to show up more clearly on my skin, as do the Addiction singles.  Lately, I've not been as fond of the Addiction singles as they don't look as seamlessly elegant on my lids as the THREEs or the Suqqus.

With other THREE eye stuff I've seen much more intense pigmentation.  I wore the quad Art of Parties (here) yesterday and regretted my overly strong application.

What do I want?  I want the BEEF!

Any recent purchases for you falling way below the mark?  Also I'm very curious if you have any of the new THREE duos and if your experience was similar.

18 comments :

  1. My self-denying, twisted little brain is secretly happy that this did not meet your expectations. One less lemming for me... :D

    Sorry it didn't work out on you though. :(

    (But :D, secretly...)

    Oh, and I also agree with you on the SUQQU thing! I didn't think the translucent gold shade in Matsukasa showed up on my skin, but when I wore it today over the pale base shade, I discovered it really did brighten and illuminate my eyes with a soft sheeny shimmer. Almost what I wanted Moon River to look like, but even *moar* elegant in texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) You're actually SORRY NOT SORRY, right? heheh!

      Suqqu shades just are so elegant in texture! Matsukasa! <3 heart goes pitter patter.

      Delete
  2. Hmm. I've yet to pick up any of the THREE duos (look upon my will power ye mighty and despair :P) but would you still recommend it? I'm after either the bloo/peach or the peenk/bloo, and I do have unctuous lids.

    Invisible Ethereal does look like it's... wait for it... a wash. :P Maybe you can use it exclusively as a pair of layering shadows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bah! My Invisible Ethereal is actually invisibly ethereal. With a name like this, I dunno why I am acting all that surprised or indignant! :) I don't know what I'm going to do with these. I was hoping for a little more Visible Concrete.

      I dunno if I can recommend the duos in good faith, especially if your lids are full of unctuous sebum. I know if I wear the cream without my Nars, it will crease and then fade immediately. It's not so bad with the primer, though. Maybe you'll see similar performance? I am quite fond of the peach/bloo one, but I think my favorite in the Winter Love one.

      Delete
  3. That's so disappointing :( But your THREE z palette is drool-worthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit of a bummer. I guess this is one of those things if I saw in person would have been something I wouldn't have purchased. :) Ah the perils of such purchasing blindly.

      Delete
  4. What a bummer!! This one actually caught my eyes when I was doing a virtual THREE order, so sad :-( It looks so ethereal.. I wonder if you can salvage it somehow but if primer does not even help gah.. c'mon THREE you can do better than that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually shows up on my lids, just doesn't do much than be sheer and all elegant like. :) You are much paler than me no? I wonder if it would work better for you?

      Delete
  5. So pretty in the pan, though! I bet it would work better on the super-pale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Look at the gorgeous shades & shimmers! Actually all the three pans are so gorgeous twinkling away, I think!

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear about your disappointment with these, it does look rather sheer, as pretty as it may be. I haven't gotten any of the duos, mostly because I can't decide which, I'll have to remb to pass on this one.

    My most recent dud is the bourjois 123 CC cream. Heard so much praise for this on youtube and blogs, but it doesn't hold up in humidity and my combi skin. At least it didn't cost me much.

    Re: Three pricing poopers

    I do think a big part of pricing in TW is market placement. Kanebo TW probably needs to price Three relative to their other brands already in TW, as well as all the other brands that are supposedly in the same 'level'. I have heard prices have gotten much better than say 15~20 years ago, when travel and worldwide e-commerce wasn't as accessible and imports were insanely marked up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like duos 1-6 seem more pigmented than this one. :) You can stick your fingers in the pans in person and confirm or deny this.

      Too bad about the Bourjois cc! I heard much raving about this one after it was used in one of Lisa Eldridge's videos. Good thing it wasn't too terribly expensive.

      I guess it makes sense for the brands to price according to it's market competitors and where it wan't to be position itself as a luxury brand. Too bad though, that there is a markup at all, but I guess the consumers pay for it so the brands continue to do it.

      Delete
  7. Oh sorry this one didn't perform well. This is how Clarins and M.A.C eye shadows end up looking on me, no color! I remember that commercial from when I was a kid, that question ended up on every lips! Not sure if it's a good or a bad memory at this point! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was more of a McDonald's kind of a girl for fast food! I kind of totally dig the 80's in general. :)

      Delete
  8. This is not really my kind of color pairing at all... and yikes to it being sheer. But I suppose this Spring was all sheer, pretty but barely there colors... just look at those Dior Trianons! You did say they reformulated those cream shades though? Can't wait to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally love off-beat color pairings, but both being so sheer, the effect is too ... hmmm... sedate for me.

      I think just these four duos have different product descriptions about "cream to powder" versus the other products.

      Delete
  9. Wanting Beef from a brand that normally gives you the whole Argentinan quality steak is really normal: giving you a piece of minced chicken instead might taste nice, but yeh...I can totally understand your dissapointment and I agree on the last batch of Addiction singles too. I like the Eivissa 2 I have, but my 1st love Flashback (and also Neverland) have never been realised. Never gone into Suqqu but will do soon due to perfect enabling by you, DrivellerKate (list goes on for a while) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't have a bar set at Flashback and then go all mediocre! I think this is my general problem with Addiction is that from finish to colors, they seem a little bit inconsistent in quality.

      But Birkie! Yes to Suqqu! I'd love to hear your thoughts when you do pick some up. They are so lovely and flattering on my eye lids... which hmm.. getting older everyday, so need a extra boost from the eye shadows I use now.

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...