Wednesday, April 30, 2014

THREE Color Veil for Cheeks - Super Mini Swatch Set

There are certain brands that do silkiness in blush exceptionally well, and among them, I am developing a very expensive and debilitating fondness for the blushes from THREE.  I have four of them in my possession and while I would like to open up a large black garbage bag, and make a sweep of my arm and get all of them, I am trying to be smart about how I go about selecting the colors.

I have heard before that in general, that the pigmentation of the THREE blushes were on the unimpressive side so I've been honing my sights on the darker and/or brighter of the colors in the offering or colors that seem to fill a niche in my blush collection.  I've already posted more in detail about 17 Wind Swept Soul and 19 Love Kick (here) before and you can read about me drooling about the formula.

But today, I thought I'd show you the four I own now and some more thoughts about the colors.  I will put up some additional posts comparing the two new ones to other blushes from different brands so you can decide for yourself if they are unique enough or not to spring for.  (Here is a link to the post comparing 20 and 23 to other similar shades)

The two new ones in the mix are 20 Love Twist and 23 Emotional Rescue.

Here's my lot of them.  The cases are simple grey plastic ones.  They can be pretty easily depotted by prying out the pans with a pointy object.  There is gooey glue affixing the pans to the case.  There is no included mirror and it is very basic and no frills.

Here are swatches of the colors.  You can see some fine shimmer in the swatches (and which also appear in the pan).  The effect is not frosty, or even particularly sheeny on the cheeks though.  For me, they translate more as glowing satins with no perceptible shimmer bits on the face.

You might be able to tell also that the pigmentation for these are very good, especially for Love Kick, Love Twist and Emotional Rescue. 

The shades I hoard:
  • The subtle nude of 17 Wind Swept Soul is very similar in pigmentation to Burberry Earthy or Rouge Bunny Rouge Delicata (also very similar in color!).
  • 19 Love Kick is a bright red pink.  Very clear and brightening on my skin.
  • 20 Love Twist is a little hard for me to love.  It looks quite vivid and bright on my arm and a good bit of that is due to its white base.  I love the color itself, but on my skin, it looks very high in contrast to my skin color as well as slightly chalky when I apply too much.  Mind you, the product itself is not chalky at all, but the color can be.  You can see me wearing this color in a recent look that featured my makeup rut (here).
  • 23 Emotional Rescue is a deep raspberry pink with some impressive depth of color with appealing coolness and clarity.  I love colors like this.  I feel like it is a more wearable version of Tom Ford's limited Edition Narcissist.
By the way, there are other swatches of these blushes out there, but not English ones.  Here is one which captured many in the blush range.

I hope to do some more in depth color comparisons for Love Twist and Emotional Rescue for the blog soon.

I love these silky, airy and beautiful blushes from THREE.  How about you?  Have you tried any of the brand's blushes and what's your favorite colors you would like to recommend?

THREE is available in counters in Thailand, Taiwan, Japan and also available on line with markup on Ichibankao.  I was able to purchase through a very lovely friend in Japan.  (thank you!)

31 comments :

  1. Droolz at your awesome collection! I've been wanting to get 19 and 23, but they're on major back order in TW, so I'll wait and see if I can snag them in the next major round of sales in autumn. I did manage to get 13 Light Sonic (slightly burnt orange apricot) and 16 Wind Swept Love (Pink with coral hints). I agree about their silkiness, and actually like their level of pigmentation, it's got a translucency thats so natural. What do you think your next target might be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh! question!! Does the wind swept love actually show up well on your skin? I've been avoiding the more paler shades because I was worried about the pigmentation level. It's good to know you like the pigmentation in general!!
      I was hoping to get a plum, but I think they've discontinued them all. Thinking maybe a tangerine/peach kind of thing. The Light Sonic looks really nice!

      Delete
    2. Yes WSL does show up well, and wear well on my skin, which is probably slightly darker and yellower than your skin (your Pormomile Future Skin mix is a great match for me when my redness isn't in cahoots with the devil). However, a lot of blushers can look intense on me because of my redness. Were your swatches above with just one swipe? I'd say that WSL isn't as pop-out intense as 19 or 23 if you managed that with one swipe of a cheek brush. Perhaps SWL is half a level down on intensity than 19/23 but still one of the more pigmented ones of the range. I'll re-visit the counter and get you a side by side / face swatch to help you confirm.

      I like Light Sonic very much, it's great with my obsession with apricot eyes and lips atm!

      (PS: I'm pretending to look like I'm busy at work, but secretly trying to write a little review of these babies and hopefully it will help you decide whether 16 is hoardable)

      Delete
  2. SO PRETTYYYY. Ugh I am so mad I didn't get any when I went to Japan last month. I love Love Twist, but I don't know if I can wear it because it's so cool. I have a similar, paler blush and it's not working out for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Twist is super blue and has a slight lavender tinge. On my skin, it seems to turn straight up cool pink, though. This one is slightly tougher to wear comfortably for me, but the color is gorgeous.

      Delete
  3. Emotional Rescue :O!! <3 AND Love Twist. Does that lean kind of purple/lavender? I really want them both. Yeesh.

    Shani x
    She Dreams in Perfect French

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those two pinks so gorgeous? :) Yes Love Twist has a lavender tinge to it.

      Delete
    2. Oooh good to know. I wonder if it's less sheen-y than the MAC Full of Joy I wrote about. Hmm. In the name of research? :)

      Delete
    3. Looks like Full of Joy is quite sheeny - verging on frosty? This is much more softer in finish.

      Delete
  4. Oooooh. 20? Or 23? Or both? Toward the end of May I am planning a birthday haul of allll the Japanese things (well. A few) and I think one or both of these are needed.

    These are all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adele on your skin, both shades would be beautiful! Especially 20!!! Birthday Month Haul! YIPPEE!

      Delete
  5. I'm waiting on suqqu blush brush before I can say love or not. They are super pigmented and I probably need to learn how to apply blush haha. I have shade 10 shade of day and love kick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! did you get your kitten paw? ;) I find these particular one (with the exception of the nude one) really well pigmented. It's totally possible to overdo, even with kitten paw.
      Is Shade of Day a terra cotta red? It's hard to tell in the other blog post.

      Delete
    2. still waiting :( hard to describe the colour since it has a golden sheen and not matte. I tried it as eyeshadow and it blew my mind on how pigmented it could be applied with 217 lol because it looked more like cream or even liner.

      Delete
  6. Yes, THREE is a must try for me. Someday, my friend, someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally Claire. Love Kick for everyone. I love that one so much!

      Delete
  7. lovely, wind swept is making me swoon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these whimsical names! I feel like the Wind Swept blah blahs conjuring up Cathy & Heathcliff on the moors. SWOOOOON.

      Delete
  8. Hello,
    Do you think that 23 is similar to EB Bed of Roses? I am thinking if I need both...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara,
      Let me check when the lighting is better tomorrow AM. I will include it in the comparison post later on (not sure when I will be able to take pictures though) but I will reply back to you on this comment so you can see if they are dupes or not.

      Delete
    2. Hi Barbara, EB is warmer and significantly lighter than Emotional Rescue. You can check out the pictures here:
      http://wondegondigo.blogspot.com/2014/05/three-20-love-twist-23-emotional-rescue.html

      Delete
  9. Hi, thanks for the great review and link to the Chinese blog! It started me thinking of a starting a collection of Three blushes (I like collections that line up nicely) with a nude, coral, cool pink and perhaps a peach. What do you think of 13 Love Sonic? Is that something you would wear? There is also a new shade, #24 which looks everydayish but I dunno, maybe too pale for medium skintone. Anonymous Nutcase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) hi there AN! They have some gorgeous shades. 13 looks really pretty! I am thinking about adding a peach and/or tangerine so I was just looking at 13 as well. In the Chinese blog post, the 13 swatches about as vividly as 17 (which I own). 17 I find the lightest in pigmentation compared to the other three I own, so it doesnt' SEEM as deeply pigmented. Hard to tell by pictures though.

      Delete
  10. I'd love to get my hands on Love Kick but I'll have to find something similar with another brand since it's not available here and I never order online. That would be like opening flood gates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helene, it's a total rabbit hole you fall into if you end up getting a thing or two. these things are super easy to go nuts over. :) But Love Kick is really really really pretty. That one I wear very often.

      Delete
  11. Damn, this is an amazing sub-collection! I love all the colours. Sometimes I don't mind a sheerer formula, despite regular clownish tendencies. Blush envy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) These aren't sheer at all and happy to be built up to clown cheeks. AHHHHH! I revel in my inner clown!

      Delete
  12. Ugh... if only it's more accessible!! I've read so many good things about this brand from you and Kate!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thankful that I am not standing at a physical counter. I actually think that buying off swatches and blog posts is helping me be a bit more methodical and careful. :)

      Delete
  13. Hmm...i bought 2 of those - Emotional Rescue and Love Kick - based on a friend's recommendation, and came home to find that I really don't care very much for these THREE blushes at all. I found them really hard, and difficult to pick up properly. Worse, they dont come out on my skin true to pan... so it's difficult. I'm glad they're working well for you, and getting a lot more mileage out of them than!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a bummer, Linda! These few shades I own are squarely fitting among my favorite textures from RBR & Burberry! I find them so silky and so beautifully pigmented without being too scary! I also use my squirrel haired brushes and have no issues picking up a ton of color with them, too.

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...