Saturday, March 15, 2014

Suqqu Bright Up Lipstick in 07 Akaanzu and 02 Hanabeni

When I received a new lipstick recently, the Suqqu Bright Up Lipstick in 07 Akaanzu that was released along with the brand's SS14 collection, I realized I never really talked bout the Bright Up lipsticks.  Which is funny because I really like the Suqqu lipsticks and I often get asked what it is like and how they compare with the discontinued Creamy Glow ones.

So here are the two I own, Akaanzu and Hanabeni.  I had such a tough time deciding what I wanted to select among the many temptations of this new Spring collection (full collection information here), but I knew pretty much off the bat that I was going to get Akaanzu.  In the press information, Akaanzu is described as a rosy beige with a warm undertone but with a good bit of blue pigmentation.  I definitely see the rose and beige in the bullet and the applied color, but not sure I can discern any blue pigment.

Hanabeni is the brightest color in the Bright Up offering.  Unlike the darks and reds of the discontinued Creamy Glows, this is about as saturated and bright as the Bright Up range goes.  It's a mid tone neutral pink with a slightly whitened base.  You can see me wearing it along with the Benigachasane quad here.
Here's a photo with flash where you can see the tones of the two shades more true to real life.  Am I seeing things?  The cool light of the flash seems to bring out a slight blue tint to Akaanzu.
Akaanzu strikes me as a bit salmon flesh colored.  Not farmed salmon with it's insipid orange, but the really fancy wild kind.  While the pigmentation is good, it does take 2 passes of the bullet to see the color built up to this opacity.  The base is clear and so my natural lip color does alter it to a more cooler rosy color on the lips.  You can see it worn in my post from yesterday.  Hanabeni is more truly pink and very flattering on.  I do think compared to Akaanzu, the pigmentation is stronger.
 It has a more creamy formula on the lips.  It does not wear that long, but I can get 4 hours of so of wear and a soft shine that lasts in the first 2 hours of wear.  It fades without leaving a stain or any unsightly patches of color.  I find the formula slightly moisturizing and feels nice on my lips with no heaviness.
Also thought it might be interesting to show the different formulas in the Suqqu brand offering (of course with Creamy Glows being discontinued).

The Bright Ups are the black tube with the band of gold adorning the closure.  The plain black tube is the discontinued Creamy Glow.  The iridescent purple and the white are the limited edition cases of Creamy Glow Moists.  I think the permeant CGMs have the plain black tubes, but I don't own any of those.
The Creamy Glow has the most opaque and intense pigmentation of the four kinds of lipsticks.  Its formula is also distinctly feather light and slippy.  For people that like more creamier feeling in their lipstick formula, the Bright Ups are nicer.  The Creamy Glow moist feel quite a bit like the Chantecaille Lip Chics, with a sheer level of color and a lot of shine.  They also feel a bit thicker while being applied on the lips.
I don't necessarily have a favorite formula.  I do wish that the Bright Ups had some more assertive colors that aren't so safe.  I am particularly pleased with Akaanzu though.  I plan on getting a lot of wear out of it.

Have you tried all the different formulas from Suqqu?  Any one that is your favorite?  What types of lipstick formulas are the ones you prefer?

25 comments :

  1. The only thing that stands between me and Suqqu is a counter to swatch colors. Otherwise, I would have jumped the gun as I have no doubt of the superlative texture, quality, etc. etc. I am on a mission to revamp my lipstick wardrobe, so maybe I may check out some pinks from Suqqu line. Akaanzu looks great!! Do you think it leans peach rather than being neutral (you mentioned about the salmon tone). Love it on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, non-scented, lip kind and elegant formulations. It really has your name written all over it and I think much nicer than the Burberrys!

      Delete
    2. Akaanzu is warm, and definitely not neutral! I love Akaanzu!!

      Delete
  2. I love your new blog design, Belly! OMG, I want Hanabeni!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen! I thought I'd freshen up the blog a little bit. Hanabeni is a beautiful fresh pink. Just your kind of pink, too!

      Delete
  3. Both look like great daily colours well suited for you! Haven't had the pleasure to try anything from Suqqu yet... I'm may not be able to stop if I do take the plunge and order from online sources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, you get your hands on one of them and then it's over.

      Delete
  4. These look amazing... like great MLBB shades for pigmented lips -like mine ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely coverage and really pretty colors! i think you would like many of these Anne.

      Delete
  5. Oh, lovely colours! I haven't tried any Suqqu lippies yet, and hopefully one day, I'll be able to try some :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very subtle and pretty and the quality is top notch! I think they are worth a look, too!

      Delete
  6. Oh these are all colors I would wear! I think it would be dangerous for my wallet if a counter opened in my area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would also be in super big trouble if I had ready in person access to Suqqu. Big big trouble!

      Delete
  7. I'm looking to try lip stuff from Suqqu but I'm not suuuure which I should go for. Or if I should stick with eye stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say try out the eye shadows first. Or the brushes. and then the lipsticks. :)

      Delete
  8. I keep meaning to try a Bright Up and do really like the look of #7, I still haven't made up my mind what to get from the Spring collection, keep wondering if the eye palettes will pop up on Selfridges again or if I should just order before it all sells out, oh the tough decisions we have to make ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing they will show up again since they are permanent, but maybe you are best off giving the counter a call! It seems like the counters have better inventory than the website. :D It is very difficult to decide. Hehehehe.

      Delete
  9. Both of those look like such beautiful, effortless colours... Must look away from the pretty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walk into the Light, Carol Anne! Walk into the liiiiight!

      Delete
    2. Lucky for me... They're not heeeeeerrrre

      Delete
  10. *Must not buy more lipsticks. So pretty but no need for more until current ones turn or hit pan :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... you think if I leave the pile of rejects unattended, they will turn... like zombies and then I can throw them away?

      Delete
    2. They will in my climate lol Lipsticks sweat and get all gross and oily and taste metalic (happened to my beloved lunasol lipsticks in the past), never leave them in a car here lol

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...