Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sunday and What There Was to Eat

We enjoyed beautiful weather this weekend.  I probably didn't get as many blog photographs as I would like but no matter.  There are trees budding and I am hopeful that maybe Spring will show up.  It was sunny and it seems everyone was out and about.  Makeup is a big thing occupying precious brain real estate, but always wrestling for more space in the brain is food.  This weekend food won.

Shall we see what occupied prime real estate in my brain this weekend?

You know what makes me irrationally angry?  When you order a Coke in a restaurant and they give you a Pepsi.

Maybe there is some evidence that high fructose corn syrup is evil, but it's ok.  In high dosage along with caffeine and god knows what secret sauce, my Coke is good.  It's damn good.  And don't give me no diet Coke dressed up with a lemon slice.  Give me the real stuff.  And give it to me good.  *shakes*  *shakes violently*
There's a restaurant, really a bar, that serves incredible bar food.  Though their menu is full of all sorts of delicious things, we order very few things on the menu.  I suspect everything they make is tasty but a few dishes are the only ones on the Belly rotation.

First a bowl of chili loaded up with onions and cheese.  No insipid beans in this, just manly beef.  I can cook a mean chili, but there is something so silky and rich about the one served here.  I nosh on thing and then dip seasoned waffle cut fries into it.
All teasers above for the real deal.  The only real reason to be at this place.  The biggest, plumpest wings known.  This is a small order.  The wings are deep fried to crispy perfection and dressed in sauce.  While various sauces are available, we always get the spicy buffalo.  I've made buffalo wings at home and it's easy enough to make: deep fry, toss in a mixture of Frank's Hot Sauce and Margarine (or butter).  This place elevates it to heaven.
Wow, I'm literally salivating typing this up and looking at the photo of the wings.

Later that day after running some errands, we stopped by the local Korean market and I spotted this.  That's little Belly Kid's hand placed on the fruit to show scale.  What is this monster beast fruit?

We had friends stopping over for brunch today so I made a salted caramel bread pudding (recipe here). This was really easy to make and after a good overnight soak in a custard full of eggs, milk and mascarpone cheese, it baked into decadence.

So I took a picture of it once take out of the oven and flipped over onto the platter.
 I don't get it.  I don't get how such a delicious thing can look so much like a cow pie.
Here is the sauce I made to go with it.  Mascarpone cheese whipped with sugar and half and half.
I forgot I have a beauty blog.
Look, I am down to a little nub of my Tom Ford Espresso eye liner so I bought a replacement!  Wheee!  Look at me kicking ass and kind of almost finishing things!

How was your weekend?  Any delicious noms you'd like to share with me?

21 comments :

  1. That's a jackfruit..not sure what it's called here, but that's what we call it in India. Sort of a variation of durian, I guess, but a LOT less smelly - it still is smelly, though. You know it's ripe when it's smelly hehehee...And the the fruity portions are smaller than in a durian. I think you can find this cut and the fruit already separated, easier to consume, and wrapped in cellophane...seen it in Indian shops. Generallllllllly, though, I am a bit wary of buying the packed, chopped thing..cos I am not sure how clean it is, and eating too much of this fruit isn't too goood for the tummy anyway :P :P

    Oh..and I hate that too..when it's Pepsi instead of Coke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I looked up jackfruit online. Interesting food! These didn't smell so I assume they weren't ripe. I read unripe fruit is yuck. THey also had wrapped cut up ones so maybe I will pick one up to try. I've been juicing/blending up a storm so maybe this will be a nice banana substitute.

      I also read that eating too much would cause all sorts of blurbbity bloop bloop intestinal upset.

      COKE! COKE! COOOOOOOKKKKKKE!

      Delete
  2. Yep, it's a jackfruit. Ate a lot of it growing up; it's quite good in a curry. >) It's milder than the durian as Rads noted--the durian is all raspberry custard and cream and corpses, but the jackfruit is more fibrous and banana-y.

    That bread pudding looks really tasty! Go you for finishing up stuff--I have a nub of a Shu eyebrow pencil that is about an inch long and I'm just determined to drive it to its grave. It sure is getting hard to handle though. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tom Ford pencil is on the softer side of pencils and I use it nearly every day. The Shu brow ones are so hard! I had one for YEARS and those hang on pretty tenaciously. I gave it to my mom, which is kind of like finishing something. :D kind of.

      Now I kind of want to eat a durian, too. :) You have such a way with explaining a culinary experience. Cream and Corpses. Sounds like an excellent name for a restaurant.

      Delete
  3. Of course, nothing beats Coke but it is worse if you actually ask for Pepsi and they give you Dr. Pepper instead. C'mon don't people know their soft drinks anymore?? That chili + wings, hmmm... somehow it reminds me of my college stapple of Cincinnati Spaghetti (aka chili on top of spaghetti, usually the thin kind, unlike this succulent kind). The worst-looking food is usually the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Pepper??? That's not even anywhere near a cola. Although... I do... kind of...like Dr. Peppers, too. What's this whole drink more water campaign when drinking carbonated sugary beverages is so much more yummy and *soft burp* elegant???

      I've heard of that Cinci Spaghetti. I would totally eat that. Sounds like meat sauce all spiced up.

      Delete
  4. LOL a cow pie! I bet that is delicious though- I can tell from looking at it. Thanks for making me hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the most delicious cow pie I've ever eaten. :) make it! It was amazing and easy.

      Delete
  5. Yummmmmmsss~ I need me some cow pie too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me salivating right before you said you were too! What did I have this weekend? Hmmm. Every evening has been a foodie's heaven (and a dieter's worst nightmare, buahaha). I had some amazingly tender and sweet Japanese sizzling pork katsu, spicy Sichuan wontons and Indian curries. Nom!

    Just this morning I was staring at my abundance (i.e. 5) of eyeliners and wondering when I'd ever finish them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh! Lisa, that sounds like a eater's paradise. I love don katsu! That is such a treat. The local Chinese fare in my neck of the woods is pretty poor pickings as is the Indian food!!!

      I must have at least two dozen eye liners, which is stupid since I only really use this one. Time for chuckeroonies!

      Delete
    2. I bought the wrong size sharpener. So now my Solone eyeliners are annoyingly stubby and I can't use them! *shakes fist* They taunt me every day. But I am too lazy to acquire the right sharpener so it serves me right. :D

      Delete
  7. Delicious noms? I've been enjoying piping hot sweet potatoes with cold kimchi lately. The weather has been seriously hot too, so I love making some crunchy salad with marinated seaweed and hard boiled eggs (+ Kewpie sesame dressing). Refreshing and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hot sweet potatoes with cold kimchi! That sounds like an amazing combination!!! What kind of sweet potatoes? Not the orange yams right? OMG, it sounds awesome!

      Is Kewpie sesame dressing a bottled dressing or is it the Kewpie mayo (YUM) mixed with something else? I love all versions of seaweed. delicious! I lpartucularly like it vinegary and tangy in the summer.

      Delete
  8. All of these looks delicious and even when I just had breakfast... I'm starting to get hungry. Well, I will have to wait a while to eat my Ratatouille. I haven't prepared this in a while, but from what I tried this morning while preparing my lunchbox to work, I just felt like the critic in the movie going back to childhood lol -Ratatouille movie lol
    As for beauty, oh well... I got some Nars Final Cut stuff... trying it today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That movie was really cute.

      Oh, new Nars! I can't wait to hear how you like it, Anne.

      Delete
    2. It is... and everytime I watch it, I get inspiration to cook lol... so I watch it very often since I need to eat.

      About Nars, so far so good... yet, I feel like Barbie with such pinky lips

      Delete
  9. jackfruit! and its frickin DELICIOUS!
    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here in Brasil, we call this fruit jaca, is very delicious, inside have some big seeds covered with white soft part (is this part that covered the seed that you eat) is very sweet, my mom sometimes do jams, is really taste. I think you will like =D
    Have a excellent week!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...