Friday, March 28, 2014

Powder Ruminations

I know!  Beauty blogs are supposed to post about products with descriptive prose about the blogger's experience with said product.  "Buy it; it's beautiful!"  "It made my face break out!"  "I've never looked smarter!"

I'm doing no such thing today.  So...I've been whining about the weather like all winter long, right?  Sorry.  I can't help myself, Polar Vortex was a real son of a bitch and it kept on showing up.  But today is warm-ish so now I think to summer.  Spring is nice in New York, but it's only for an instant, coming with a profusion of beautiful spring blossoms & allergies followed immediately by the hot and humid summer time.

Like everyone else, my skin changes in the summer.  Products that work great in the wintertime, not subject to the abject terrors of high humidity and heat, tend to smear and melt off my face in the summer.  I need to change up my foundation and base product routine.  And even though it's not really warm here at all, my recent change in skincare routine is still in test most and one of the things I'm noticing is that I'm generally drier.  My normal setting powder, the Suqqu Nuancing Loose Powder in Natural (here) is looking more powdery than I like lately.

I love this powder, of course.  Posted about it and still love it.  When lightly brushed on, it gives the most lovely smoothing effect on the skin.  One thing it doesn't do is do anything for sebum production.  While my skin is dry now, I'm pretty sure the summer will coax some oils to do into hyper productivity in my t-zone.  And I need something to look less powdery for my weird skin now.

I just read the non blonde's preview of the new Rouge Bunny Rouge powder, the Impalpable Finishing Powder.  (huh, some name)
Anyway, as product decriptions are apt to do, it sounds like magic in a jar.  It's telling me seductive things.  Which apart from making me look even smarter than I am, seem like it does some significant oil controlling.  When I looked ath the ingredients, it seems to be another silica-based powder and it reminded me of the Nars Light Reflecting Loose powder which is also silica heavy.  But the ingredient listing is pretty different it seems.  What to do.
 
I have the Rouge Bunny Rouge powder and the new eye shadows in my shopping cart almost ready to go.  Stupid no buy and stupid indecisiveness!
 
 
A gander at the ingredients of both powders for your perusal:

RBR Impalpable Finishing Powder
SILICA, TALC, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, BORON NITRIDE, MICA, PHENOXYETHANOL, POTASSIUM SORBATE, HEXYLENE GLYCOL, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, GLYCERIN, MALTODEXTRIN, SUCROSE DILAURATE, LAUROYL LYSINE, AQUA (WATER), SODIUM COCOYL GLUTAMATE, ENANTIA CHLORANTHA BARK EXTRACT, PISUM SATIVUM EXTRACT (PISUM SATIVUM (PEA) EXTRACT), CARBOMER, SODIUM LACTATE, POLYSORBATE 20, OLEANOLIC ACID, PALMITOYL OLIGOPEPTIDE, PALMITOYL TETRAPEPTIDE-7

Nars
Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Silica, Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Squalane, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Polysorbate 80, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Carrageenan, Xanthan Gum, 1, 2-Hexanediol, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Maris Aqua (Sea Water), Ascophyllum Nodosum (Ascophyllum Nodosum Extract), Magnesium Silicate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Tin Oxide, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.

What are some favorite powders for controlling oily areas on your face?  Any good tried & trues to recommend me and our other readers?

24 comments :

  1. I haven't really found any amazing powders to control the T-zone - MAC's Blot Powder is probably the best one I found for mattifying, but it's not very smoothing/perfecting or light-reflecting in any way, just matte. I've recently been finding that I do need to use a powder to avoid being too shiny, but a lot of them look too dry & tight on most of my face :( Maybe I just need to use a tinier brush and be more specific where I apply it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( Hmm, maybe only apply the t zone as you said. I like my pressed powder that I tote around, but I'd really like a loose one that does all the skin perfecting AND the oil control. Why can't we have everything!?

      Delete
  2. You could always try the Goss super sekrit trick of layering foundation over powder come the humids. ;) I'm also looking for a powder with better oil-control--I only have the Suqqu loose in Natural and Guerlain Wulong pressed meteorites. Didn't know RBR had a loose powder in the works! I was eyeing their Flawless Face Powder in Adagio. Not many reviews, unfortunately, but RBR does powder quite well. So, buy sight unseen, unswatched, untested? :X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RBR is available right now in their webshop! I'm super curious about this one. The pressed powder looks nice as well, but I think I'm all set with the Suqqu pressed. Would like to try the loose one.

      Ha! Have you tried the Goss yet? Did it work?

      Delete
    2. Have yet to try the Goss because I don't wear foundation most days, and usually not until skin looks terrible. I'm mostly suspicious though. :P

      Does shipping take a long time from RBR proper? I've just been stalking Beauty Habit so far.

      Delete
  3. I've been loving the (pressed) Guerlain Les Violettes recently!

    And I think RBR should be a permanent exception to no-buy rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! A vote for Les Violettes! I kind of think YES on the RBR exclusions. ;) wise sage you are.

      Delete
  4. My HG used to be Mac Blot, until I found Couleur Caramel loose powder -yes, the organic French cosmetic Brand sold two blocks from here. Nothing has controlled oilies like this in my entire life, and it's mostly rice powder. I like to use it to set foundations, BB and CC creams, especially those who make me oily -I'm looking at you Chanel CC. Anyway, I might try it with the recent technique Gossmakeup artista told in his videos. I know he doesn't get much love all the time, but this tip sounds interesting to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone is raving or buzzing about the foundation over powder technique. I have another silica product that in the use intrusions had that as a tip. maybe I should just retry what I have. But I'm really looking forward to the skin perfecting aspect of the Suqqu PLUS the oil control. Seems like a lot of products will do one really well, but not really excelling in both. :) The French brand Couleur Caramel sounds excellent!

      Delete
  5. Hey Belly, I've been hooked on the pressed version of Guerlain Les Voilettes since I got it a while ago! Definitely the best I've tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, Sunny! Another vote for the Les Violettes. Very curious now.

      Delete
  6. My fave during the day so far has been Givenchy Les Plumetis which did a great job on my t-zone last summer. I recently lost it and wanted to try Sunny's fave but here Les Voilettes appears to have been LE. Dumb just dumb! Yesterday I got Chanel Les Beiges in #10 and I'll have to wait before writing a review but based on today, I think I will like it but I'm not super oily atm so I guess I'll see as the weather warms up. I know it less trendy but have you had a look at Estée Lauder? There was one, I think Lucidity that I liked and did a pretty good job. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used Lucidity eons ago! Doesn't that come one with color rather than translucent? I totally forgot about that one.
      Why is Les Violettes be LE over there? Was it an LE release?

      Delete
    2. Oh could be another EL, mine was translucent I'll have a look to see if I still have it... somewhere. Yup, Les Voilettes was released with the Christmas collection but we have the loose version as part of the regular line so I'm hoping they'll bring the compact eventually.

      Delete
  7. Tis always the season for the powder conundrum. I bought the By Terry hyaluronic hydra powder during winter and loved it, now getting chance to test it fully in the onslaught of humidity in Taiwan. It's so silky and makes my silk feel smooth, while giving that blurring effect. It's not the most light reflective powder, but it still sets with a subtle natural glow. The best part for me is that, even though I don't think it inhibits oils, it makes my oils look glowy rather than oily for longer than my other powders.
    I also love the Guerlain one many others have mentioned, the wear on that is beautiful too, and so convenient as it's a compact.

    Recently trying out powdering after primer and BEFORE foundation on the advice of Wayne Goss's recent vlog. It works on me! I use my more utilitarian powders that mattifies well but may make me look dull. And after my foundation I'll still use the By Terry or other nicer-finish setting powder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine in the summer in Taiwan, you need some heavy duty stuff, right? The Guerlain is truly getting my interest going. I wonder if this is still available at the US counters or if it was LE like it was in Canada.

      I just tried the Goss thing, which is making my face feel tight and dry! :( Maybe there is something that is too drying for me. I am going to try with a different, less mattifying powder to see if it works better.

      Delete
  8. Oh, so RBR finally has brought out the loose powder (almost, I mean)! I still think it would be quite similar to the NARS powder you mentioned or even the MUFE High Definition. I love silica based powder and use it daily. It doesn't do much to control oil but does a nice job setting makeup flawlessly. Much better than not setting with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RBR is available at their website now. Looks really nice! I think I will stop by sephora and see if I can score a little sample of the Nars and see how that works for me. I am just such a sucker for RBR though. ANd plus, it doesn't have any rubberized plastic nars packaging which irks me to no end!

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! recently purchased Surratt Duapane powder -best oil control powder I have found-Nars light reflecting pressed does nothing in terms of oil control for me-Suqqu work nicely for a basic setting powder -My Surrat -woahhh! Outstanding in bluriin, setting and oil control.Charlotte tilbury a close second yet does not control oil as much as my Surratt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh interesting on the Surratt! I must go back to the counter and check out the powder! Thanks for the recommendation, my darling!

      Delete
  11. A second vote for the By Terry Hyaluronic! Although now *I* want Les Violettes. And want to try that new technique. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) all of the people here are big lemming creators!

      Delete
  12. Oh powders oh powders.... the ByTerry is beyond smooth... powder heaven. La Mer has been my go-to for decades, I hope they never discontinue this, ever. Guerlain Les Voilettes is very mattifying, a tad much for me. YSL has an amazing pressed powder that is being discontinued out here in Asia, but it's my fave one for the purse. And Benefit's Agent Zero Shine is really mattifying too, but not smooth on my face. You have tonnes of options!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...