Saturday, March 1, 2014

Estée Lauder Pure Color Envy Sculpting Lipstick in 430 Dominant

I mentioned yesterday that I've been playing around recently with my new Estée Lauder lipstick in Dominant.  What drew me into this product was the beautiful selection of colors in a variety of reds, nudes, corals and pinks.  There is even a beautiful deep plum called Insolent Plum that I had been eyeing.

I probably whined a fair bit about how my lips tend to dislike full-coverage opaque lipsticks with ultra pigmentation, but the rich colors really drew me in to the counter.  I had a chance to play with all the colors, but the incredible Dominant really got to me.  Even in the counter lighting, I could tell this was going to be a special color.



The cases are also sleek and weighty.  The case is a deep shiny navy with a bright yellow gold trim.  The cap is held closed by magnet holding in a deeply satisfying manner.


See, slick.  I've been carrying it around in my overstuffed cosmetics bag and so far no issues with the cap coming loose.

The color is so bright that it seems to freak out my camera.  The tube looks warm, but the actual color is a highly pigmented fuchsia.  I thought when I was playing with it at the counter, that it would be a clear very blue toned pink, but it is straight on fuchsia.
The color saturation is amazing.  One swipe produces a fully opaque swatch.
The first ingredient in this formula is shea butter, so note if you have any sensitivities to this ingredient.  I have a lot of shea butter rich skin care products, so normally this is not a problem for me.

I thought I had some other bright pinks, but Dominant (sorry smudged a bit while I moving around) is the most opaque of them all.  By comparison, everything else is muddier (Night Romance), or warmer (Reflex and Girly) or less opaque (Rose Delice and Reflex).
My normal issue with pigmented lipstick formula holds on like a truth here.  Initially it feels very creamy and slightly dense.  It is more weighty in formulation than both Guerlain formulas.  It doesn't feel moisturizing and initially it didn't feel drying.
The pigmentation combined with the weighty formula also provides some extra long lasting power.  I felt it hardly budged 4 hours in.  By then, I feel some drying and tightening on my lips.  Topping it with some balm provided some emulsion and comfort and the color lasted on.  Taking the lipstick off at the end of the day is a tough one.  It left a similarly bright stain that only faded with oil cleansing.
I like to test a lipstick formula over several days.  On the second day I wore it as a lightened balm by mixing with a lip balm.  Not because I didn't want a full on color, but because I had a tough time with the dried out feeling in my lips.  This is pretty much how lots of other full pigment lipsticks perform on me.  And actually reminds me a fair bit of the way Tom Ford lipsticks feel on my lips, which felt super dense and rich going on, but eventually sapping all the moisture from my lips.

I think if you get on well with Tom Ford lipsticks, you may get along well with these.  Estée Lauder is the parent company of both brands, so I wouldn't be surprised if the formulation really did have a lot of similarities.  And this one would be significantly less expensive than the Tom Fords.
I won't be picking up Insolent Plum as originally planned.

Have you had a chance to check out the new Estée Lauder Pure Color Envy Lipsticks?  How did they get on with your lips?

ingredients (click to enlarge):
There's fragrance and vanillin listed on the bottom of the ingredient listing.  For me, the scent is barely perceptible and not bothersome. 

34 comments :

  1. Hey Belly, OH WOW THIS IS YOUR COLOR! It really brightens your face like nothing else! I'll get to check these out in real life in mid-March, and I really can't wait! This sounds like the type of lipsticks I would enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah! Such a spectacular color, right? You also do really well with Chanel formulations which are also very tough on me. I think these might be okay for you. The pigmentation is out of this world.

      Delete
  2. Love the color on you. It is truly a gorgeous one.
    Too bad the formula isn't perfect. Now I understand why some of the creamier formulas end up drying my lips as well. Tricky thing for me is that I experience the same this with sheer lipsticks, too.
    I haven't tried EL lipsticks for long, but I do see they got prettied up. Nice packaging. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haz a sad. It's true, it's not necessarily high pigment versus low pigment, because some sheer balm type ones (for me Revlon ones) also don't agree with my lips. I can't figure out which ingredient(s) is pulling this number on me so I keep on having this problem periodically.
      EL is looking fantastic lately! The colors, the packaging! Very sleek.

      Delete
  3. That color is just great on you!!! I think I have a couple of EL lipsticks, I might need to catch with them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks lovely on you Belly, what was in the video, now I am curious lol.
    I don't have any EL lipstick, so maybe my time has come :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now the video is working! Seems like blogger didn't like the first format.

      Delete
  5. Oh that is SUCH a lovely colour on you! I'm curious to try these lipsticks, as I've had reasonably good experience with other EL lipsticks I've tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THe scents in the older ones really bugged me, but this one smells much better. And these colors are so gorgeous. EL is really taking it up a notch with this release. I hope this formula works well for you!!

      Delete
  6. I've one EL lipstick too and find the color rich and pigmented as well! But the drying formula! :|
    This color suits you so well though belly! Lovely against your skintone :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Have you figured out what ingredient is messing with you?
      Such a fabulous bright! I wish these worked better because I have such a list of other colors I'd like to buy.

      Delete
  7. Oh my! Oh my! Giiiiirrrrllll this color is DA BOMB on you!!! Gotta run to the store and have a closer look at these this week. Such great pigmentation is hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helene! Run to the counter and have a looksee!

      Delete
  8. So gorgeous!! Sad about the formula not working for you.
    I'm gonna go sob in a corner now because this was a colour I had been salivating after and I dont think is available in Asia ;(
    Also hope its not the usual EL lippie scent, drives me up walls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the Asia to EU to US range of color offering is always different! WHy they do that!!!!!

      No the scent is much more sedate. I can actually barely notice the scent at all.

      Delete
  9. I loooove the color on you, pity that it dries out your lips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eeeeh, my lips are killing me now. so sore. D:

      Delete
  10. Wow, I always thought of Estee Lauder as kind of a matronly brand, but that color is gorgeous. Extremely tempting! Too bad it doesn't wear well on you, but at least you can thin it out with a balm?

    Shani x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have that conception about the brand but they've been releasing some beautiful and modern products. Really a beautiful line!
      I think the lipstick is kind of unsalvageable on my lips. :( wah!

      Delete
  11. Love the colour on you! I think you'll like Guerlain Liu if you want a deep cool pink that's not drying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe I will just stick with the Chantecaille Rose Delice since it's a more forgiving formula for me. Isn't it a great color though?

      Delete
  12. I am loving the shade on you. I picked up one of these in a lighter colour, I thought it was a my lips but better but once home and in natural light it was just too nude to be flattering, I really didn't get on with the formula, whilst I thought it had a good wear time I felt it was drying and had a heavy feel and tacky texture, I'm glad I just picked up the one!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see I wasn't the only one! Clare I think you and I both do not get along so well with the Tom Ford lipsticks either! I was so close to getting a second color, but I'm glad I only picked up one.

      Delete
  13. Definitely your colour!! I can't wait for these to be released here in April. Need to check out all the colours :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How you find one that you love, Lily!! :)

      Delete
  14. i'm a bit on the fence about full opacity lippies too. not b/c of my lips disliking them but b/c i'm afraid of color lol. buuuuut since i've started beauty blogging, i've gotten a bit more comfortable. the color dominant looks really nice on you! it has that "bam" factor you know, without being too insane a color?
    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, having a beauty blog seems to open up opportunities for trying out all sorts of new stuff, right? It's probably even brighter in real life than in these pictures. It's crazy crazy bright. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

      Delete
  15. I saw these on Friday and was very tempted because of you. Managed to resist - just! Gorgeous, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had many more beautiful temptations on Friday. Can't believe you resisted ALLL temptations!

      My hero!! :)

      Delete
  16. I have the same problem with heavier lipsticks, but it's something I can live with! The shades are gorgeous (and so is that packaging! :), so I might pick one up!
    Great review!

    www.lilting-grace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were you able to pick one up, Miss Louise? You're so lucky you get along a bit better with these types of lipsticks. The colors of the Estee Lauder ones are really beautiful!!

      Delete
  17. bummer that they dry you out :( the color is gorgeous on youuu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce! Will you go check them out in person? They look fabulous on! all the colors are really pretty.

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...