Friday, March 21, 2014

Bacon Blog

I am forever grateful for your comments, your emails, your tweets that support me and this little blogging operation!  That we share a common interest in beautiful makeup and silly humor is a very happy convergence indeed.

How I feel.  I put on my favorite look for you.

I am trucking on.

With bacon.  A week long series on bacon and bacon poetry.

Heh!  Just kidding.
A few months ago, I bought a large cast iron skillet from Target.  It was something like $20, or slightly higher.  I seasoned it up well and keep it in good order by cooking all sorts of greasy things in it.  Such as, deep fried Japanese chicken - karaage.  I use this recipe but alter to taste (here).  For instance, I double or triple the quantity of everything because deep frying is kind of a pain in the butt and might as well make a big batch.  I substitute soju (which is a clear Korean liquor) versus sake.  I don't have potato starch around because seems a bit hard to track down so I use corn starch.  I also make batches of Korean kimchi pancakes in it with lots of oil.  (flour, scallions, chopped kimchi with some of their liquid, black pepper, a can of chopped clams, water).  I love how deeply crispy and evenly cooked everything turns out.
Excellent munchies with soju or beer, by the way
Another truly joyful thing about the skillet is how beautiful it works in the oven.  I showed you my caramel bread pudding the other day (here), but I also roast chicken in it.  So during the week, in a screamingly hot oven (400 F or so), I put chicken thighs seasoned with salt and pepper, and squeezed lemon in the skillet and let to roast).  The chicken fat that renders out and mixes with the lemon juice.  I can literally drink this liquid, but that would be kind of unhealthy.  And that crispy skin!  Dead gone heaven!

I try to tell myself that there are lots of simple joys.  Chicken fat.  Bacon.  Well-seasoned cast iron skillet.  Caramel.  Makeup new & old and loved.  Learning to bake because now I have a kitchen that I can really make a mess in. 

Daughter making her first basket in a game full of girls two years older.  Squishiest little daughter who is delightfully cuddly. 

Also, why have I not bought this skillet earlier??  So many wasted years without perfectly even crispy brown edges, melted caramel and chicken fat?  WHY PAN WHYYYYY?  *cries cries*

So lately enjoying and trying out alllllll the piles of makeup I've recently purchased.  I have too much to show and not enough time to write/take pictures.  Consequently, I'm on a no-buy so I can save some moolah for a new lens for my camera.  We'll see how that pans out for me.  I love how my no-buys always coincide with various discount events (beauty.com's 20% off, Sephora's upcoming event, my favorite event which is the Bergdorf Goodman one).  I must love the extra torture.

Remember how I recently ditched my AmorePacific Time Reponse skincare routine?  So I ordered a bunch of Mandom Barrier Repair baby moist stuff (weird weird weird name) from Adambeauty and it took a long time to get here.  In the meanwhile, I pretty much quit my AP products.  It's incredible that in a few weeks time, my skin is noticeably drier and I have all sorts of fine lines around my eyes.  I'm putting my Mandom into high gear and giving it a few weeks to work its magic.  It really has its work cut out for it.  My makeup doesn't look quite right on my skin anymore.  I've been told to just bite the bullet and go back to my old routine, but I'm going to be all stubborn and see how this experiment shakes out.  Been looking at some more Japanese drugstore makeup, for edumacashun purposes recently, too.

Do you know if you swirl swirl swirl your brush in your blush pan heavily, pat off the excess and then put brush on the face you get clown cheeks ANNNNND you use up a lot of product?

Speaking of Japanese drugstore makeup, there is only a few more hours before the giveaway ends, so I hope you've already entered my giveaway.  If not, I don't know what you're waiting for!  It is open internationally (here).

Another week we've made it through.  Let's celebrate!

17 comments :

  1. I want that cast iron skillet like right now, but I'm scared to death of burning my whole hand off - I have interesting experiences from frying things at high temperatures. Also, my husband doesn't like chicken thighs. I do ponder whether I should file for divorce ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to upgrade my oven mitts with the pan! The whole thing gets super searing hot! I like chicken fine, but really the dark meat is so much better than the white! You should bonk your husband with the pan to make him see the error of his ways! :D

      Delete
  2. So are you not using skincare at all right now? I can see how that wouldn't work well. I will be interested to see how your skin looks when using the Mandom stuff vs. the AmorePacific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using skincare, just not the AP. I still use retin-a, the Mandom cream, pixi beauty toner, and the AP fluid for the morning. Yeah, it's not working for me at the moment.

      Delete
  3. I know what I'm going to be celebrating the end of the week with now....deep fried food and beer!

    That pan looks so perfect. I have a cast iron pan, but it's a griddle one, which is a major design flaw as it's not deep frying or bread and butter pudding friendly. It actually drains the fat off the food as it cooks :( Thank god it all collects in the bottom so that, herculean strength willing, it can be poured back over said food before serving.

    Kudos on your excellent purchase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a perfect week ending celebration!!! *BUUUURRRRP* I was thinking about getting a griddle for pancakes and stuff like that, but realized I can to that in the skillet (which is pretty big).

      And did you say you pour the fat over the food taking demi-god like strength and sheer chutzpah? I... I... I think I'm speechless and a little bit turned on right now.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE my Le Creuset dutch oven - I cook soup, roasts, casseroles, risottos in it!

    I splashed out on a relatively expensive wok recently and it was a waste of money, the coating has started to come off.

    Now curious about this iron skillet - some things you don't know how much you needed them until you have them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D: WAHHH How I covet a Le Creuset!! I don't know why I can't just shell out for one when I will happily plunk down the money for makeup. Food > Makeup.
      A cheap wok is excellent when well seasoned, too. It has to be high carbon steel. The cast iron is amazing and heavy. High maintenance because it can rust and you shouldn't use soap to clean it, but when well loved and seasond, it pretty much is the most incredible cooking vessel. It browns, fries and roasts like a machine. (so berry heavy though.)

      Delete
  5. :O <----- please insert strawberry tasty treat here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And covers you with whipped cream! >:)

      Delete
  6. Just one phrase: I'm now really, really hungry!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my normal state of being: HUNGRY

      Delete
  7. My 2nd retail job includes selling Le Creuset. It is gorgeous! My big sister gave me her old Le Creuset dutch oven a few years ago, so at least I'm not lusting after something I can't afford.

    You should make a workout video using cast iron skillets! ;P

    And in skincare news, have you seen Madonna's new Japanese skincare line? Oy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) gosh, won't that be a fun video? With boiling hot oil, for extra drama.

      M has a Japanese skincare line? :/ curious, but OY.

      Delete
  8. Yummmm!! Adopt me purdy pweez?? The last time I handled a skillet (the bar grill type) I set off the smoke alarm. Not use the battery operated one that I can bash into silence with a broom, but the main apartment building one... All pans and skillets have since been collecting dust.

    I understand your conundrum about life-drainingly expensive but damn-it it works skincare. Most recently, I snagged a free facial at EL and it's for their top-of-the-line facial oil and cream treatment duo. My skin was flawless for the rest of the week, after one measly facial where the lady didnt do much other than put that magical concoction on me. Nonetheless some blood vessels burst when I heard the astronomical price. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. noodlies, please come share my grease (I mean food)! Some cooking is smoky endeavor, true. For instance broiling a steak in the oven: Fire & Smoke. I try not to let occasional smoke hazards discourage me too much because at the end: FOOD. :) I am very simply motivated.

      Don't you hate it when crazy pricey things end up as HG. I'm trying to fight it. :) Because then more makeup and money.

      Delete
  9. Digging the idea of chicken grease shots. Let's do it.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...