Friday, February 28, 2014

Well Another Friday

Since returning from vacation it's been very busy.  Work to catch up on, novels to re-read for the third time.  Sniff. 

Recently, I've been getting a lot of disdainful sneers from my makeupalley compatriots (haiiiiii, ladies) about my taste in books.  So what?  Also, since the New York Times reported recently that the trilogy has over 100 million books sold I figure many of you have also read the trilogy.  In that tier of dizzying publishing success would be Harry Potter, Twilight and Nancy Drew.  *preens*  Have read all of those, too. 

Reading from the New York Times from a few years ago on the appeal of this book on women exactly my age here.

I've been recommended other, more literate erotica.  Susie Bright or Anais Nin.  Or A.N. Roquelaure (a.k.a. Anne Rice).  Yeah, but those don't have Mr. Grey, does it?
 
Some literary criticism since reading closely this third time: Anastasia, the hapless heroine constantly talks about how OLD another character is, who is in her forties.  ExQUEEEZES, me?  I don't think I recall this from my other two readings (lol), but it let me recalibrate this third reading.  Mrs. Robinson was a sick molester, but 40-something is not old.  Jerks.  Oh and Ana's mother is about my age.  Totally makes me feel >:(
 
Some new happenings makeup wise:
 
I've been rightly intrigued by the new Estee Lauder lipsticks- Pure Color Envy Sculpting Lipstick.  I just bought Dominant and testing it now.  (I'm not EVEN joking.  This is the color I bought and I SWEAR it wasn't because I've been reading my high-literary works)
 
I've been in a right state of paralysis about SUQQU SS14.  I've been having a hard time figuring out what I want.  Especially as many of the items are permanent, and therefore taking the wind out of my urgency, my normal buy-all-teh-things strategy completely failed me.  I did order a few items, so at one point I'd love to share my picks.  In the meanwhile, Selphia does it again with pictures to inspire or induce drools (here).
 
Anyway, I've been busy and plagued with continued low light and lack of skills with camera so everything picture I take has been lackluster and/or out of focus.  >:(  grrrrrr.
 
How about a re-do of a recent look I had already posted?  I'm very taken with the Chanel Illusion D'Ombre in Diapason, especially layered over Shiseido cream shadow in Caviar.  And this is taken with a better camera, so shows that incredible Diapason better. 
 
Where the red tones and the bruisey sensibility of Diapason can be very challenging to wear on the eyes, the black base of Caviar (or any black) may tone down that redness.
This was from a little while ago, but likely this is still my normal products of:
  • Chantecaille Future Skin foundation
  • Ellis Faas concealer in 202
  • Suqqu Nuancing Loose Powder in Natural
  • Suqqu Brow palette in Moss Green
  • THREE blush in 17 Wind Swept Soul (any nude will do, really)
  • Lunasol Full Glamour Liquid Lips in Soft Rose Beige
 
Non makeup-wise, specifically book related, I'm halfway through Haruki Murakami's After Dark.  (no like)
 
I plan on plowing through David McCullough's biography of John Adams.  And then next would be Truman Capote's In Cold Blood.  And then maybe after that I will re-read Twilight.  You know, for literary criticism purposes.
 
Happy Friday everyone!!!  What book are you reading these days?  Favorite makeup you're enjoying these days?

28 comments :

  1. Awww, they weren't so much disdainful sneers as they were loving mockery. EmPHAsis on "loving". :P I say read what you like! Literary snobbery (any snobbery, really) is shallow and false; not everything I read is a 800 pager by a 20-something literary darling or a dead European man anyway, nor do I want to spend all my reading hours on those. But I just found you on a certain reading social website and I will be keeping a CLOSE EYE on your reading choices form now on. XP (No, I won't. I'm just thrilled whenever more people I know use Goodreads!)

    I super love the Caviar/Diapason combination on you. My layering experiments have been largely a fail because I have so much extra skin from my hooded double lids, so taking anything up to the socket line is a fraught affair. I have neither Caviar nor Diapason, but I'm wondering if the black cream shade in my THREE Sister Midnight quad would work as a dark base layering shade. But first, to play with my new Orchid Haze. :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haaaa! I wasn't in any way hurt. :) I saw lots of good-natured ribbing which also made me lol. Lately my attention span is so dinky that really trying to read something that requires a bit of concentration is verrrrry difficult.
      I think Sister Midnight as a layering base would be nice as well as any black cream! Layer the OH OVER the black cream and report backkkk! :DDD

      Delete
  2. Ah, the sunlight! You look radiant, Belly!
    I'm wearing NARS Sex Fantasy everyday ever since it arrived. It is surprising the color shows up very clearly on me cause I expected a pink finishing powder or something.
    Book wise, I'm still reading "The mysterious island" like a snail (I'm determined to read some old classics in English this year. ). I used to adore Mr. Haruki and still love his old novels to death, but his late works are quite questionable. I think his short stories and essays are delightful, though.
    Have a happy weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Sex Fantasy would be more of a highlighter. I'm so glad how nicely it shows up on your skin, Lena!! Let me go look up Mysterious Island. I used to love all the old Murakami books, too. My recent reading of his later books have been leaving me a bit :/

      Delete
  3. I'll get to take a look at the new EL lipsticks in a couple of weeks, AND I CAN'T WAIT! They look like the type of lipsticks I'd really enjoy! Love how you layered Diapason over Caviar. You'll probably like In Cold Blood. It's my favorite Capote book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not read a single Capote work! The closest I've gotten was watching Breakfast at Tiffany which I guess doesn't really count. I'm looking forward to reading it. I've heard it is excellent reading. :DD

      Delete
  4. Your make up is stunning in the photos! I love how complex the eyeshadow looks.

    We will have to agree to disagree on 50 shades though - I just can't stand those books. Its not the fact they are erotica at all, more that the characters represent the worst of both sexes. Grey is controlling, obsessive and bordering on a stalker while Ana is timid, virginal and hasn't even thought about sex or getting drunk until a man comes into life. Anyway each to their own of course! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ana is like a NC-17 version of a Disney princess/virgin. Completely unaware/sleeping before her prince comes along. A very misogynistic view of young women, but Ana does end up a bit more feisty than how she starts. :)

      Delete
  5. You are radiant! And no mockery intended; in fact your book report on Proust would have been the undisputed winner of Monty Python's "Summarize Proust in 30 Seconds" contest. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally am in the mood for a warm cookie/biscuit thing. :) Hope your weekend was wonderful, LP!!

      Delete
  6. *dyings* I can't get over how gorgeous that darksparkly that eye is! And *cough* opine that that Lunasol is your perfect not-dead nude :D

    You know I read all kinds of crap. Can't do no 50 shades though :P Much stabby and flingings-aside and urges to vomit. 'Tis highly ironic, considering my stash/wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you twice: 1) to give that sneak peak a while ago which made me run for Diapason, after having largely written of the Id'Os. 2) for you know. I LOVE the Lunasol to death. Nude but not zombie. I love it.
      Going to have to go through your list of books for the trash, because, I'm sort of all into trash these days. And I'd hate to re-pick up my old habit for harlequin romances.

      Delete
  7. The sparkles, oh the sparkles! Sparkling so sparkingly in the sparkly sunsparks. I haven't read 50 Shades, but man oh man, my literary choices are anything but snobby... so I won't hesitate to recommend Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series to you, if you haven't read it already. So much fun. A piece of advice though, don't just buy/borrow one book from the series at a time. You'll want all of it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall put the series on hold at the library! :DD Maybe my 1000 page John Adams biography needs to wait a bit.

      Delete
  8. Oh gosh, I actually read that 50 shades of Grey. I haven't read anything as poorly written before! bleh!
    Agree with Kate that the Lunasol lipstick is gorgeous on you!! They're more expensive than a Dior or Chanel here, which is why I haven't bought more >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lunasol was quite pricey in Seoul as I recall, too. I love this cream texture of the Lunasol. Feels so smooove.

      Delete
  9. I love that look on you and lunasol lip stuff is always like magic! I kind of stay away from their blush/ face colour stuff because disco ball bling. Thank you sharing my suqqu post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lunasol powdered stuff seems kind of hit or miss, huh? I have one LE blush which I LOVE, but then all eye shadow palettes I purged because the dry glitter feel was not something I liked.
      Your post! Loved it so very happy to share. If you bring me to financial ruin, it's only fair I share the love (haha!!) with people reading my blergh. :DD

      Delete
  10. Oh how you make that Diapason work! And the lip colour is gorgeous on you.
    Cant wait to hear your thoughts on ET's new lipstick. We get "specially catered" Asia colours (safe and snooze), so I'll just be moping at the screen when I see the beautiful bright colours outside of Asia.

    Havent read 50, only because I can get worse and FREE filth online with fanfiction ;P Now I has more money for purdy makeup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I've recently weighing all my purchase against how much makeup I can buy. 1 hard cover new release would be 1 lipstick. 2 hardcovers would be a Suqqu quad.
      FREE filth you say?! *ponders the math*

      Delete
  11. I don't have TIME to read anymore!!! *pulls hair out* 50 Shade me no interested but I did read the "loner girl glittery vamps werewolves" books when they first came out and kinda liked them but wouldn't read again. Love Diapason, looove what you did and now I must have a closer look at Shiseido! !Grrr... Enabler! Those new EL lippies are definitely on my "get closer" list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shiseido also has new colors in the cream eye shadows. Lovely products, Helene! Shi & EL are good counters to check out. :D

      Delete
  12. Read what you want to read, who cares what other people think? You should see some of the books I read! LOL :)

    My gosh that eye look is gorgeous! I tried Diapason but unfortunately it was too red on me. Now I wish I would've tried black under it like you did because I bet that would've made it work for me. I have no artistic talent whatsoever, I try a color and if it doesn't work I don't keep it. :/ Perfect color of nude lippie as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't really care. :) I am though really impressed when I see people carry paper books and read on mass transit because those people reallllllly don't care. As opposed to my general e-book habits.
      I think also the Diapason layered onto itself and turns more blue, which is also something to note. On the other hand, makeup shouldn't take so much work to make it work right in the first place, though. :)

      Delete
  13. I haven't read 50 Shades, but I'm reading a blogger who is going through it chapter by chapter and by the quotes she pulls out, it really sounds like an abusive relationship - quite awful. It's not a book I'll be reading.

    On a lighter note, the Diapson eye is awesomeness squared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The character of C Grey is kind of a jerk asshole with many problems. I think though Ana starts off as a big naif, she displays a lot more strength of character. On the other hand, these are not high literary works, so probably not worth many words of defense.

      DIAPASON IS SPARKLESOME SPARKLE!

      Delete
  14. mmm i need to take out my chante again. it is so so pretty on you :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahahaa... i had a very Mrs Robinson moment too when I first broke out Dominant, and boy do i love that!!! You've chosen well Belly! And i dont think i can bear to read 50 shades a 2nd, much less 3rd, time.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...