Sunday, February 2, 2014

Stranger London "Origami Bird" Brush Roll

I tend to be very utilitarian about the storage of my brushes.  I keep them on top of my vanity in clear acrylic cups from MUJI.  I find it a handy way to organize them by function: blending ones in one cup, detail eye brushes in another, face and blush ones in still another.  When they become too dirty for effective usage, I quarantine them in still another cup.  When I travel, I've been putting them in the brush compartment of my Laura Mercier Custom Artist Portfolio or in several other smaller brush cases.  This is all fine, but for a long time, I've been admiring the handmade brush rolls from Stranger London.  I seem to have been looking at all the wrong times because the fabric patterns I wanted or the size I was looking for seemed to be out of stock.  Recently, I saw that really beautiful one was available (and now, whoops, sold out :( ) and I ordered one.
The outside fabric is all cotton and the inside a lightweight denim.  It is softly padded to gently protect the brushes.  It ties with a matching satin ribbon.  It's more grey than what I thought from the website photo, but even more beautiful and well crafted than I had anticipated.  The fabric retains the texture of the weave, and has a beautiful organic hand-feel.

Here is the origami bird of its namesake.
Utilitarian is all fine, but having a hand-crafted beautiful thing that is also useful is a treat.
The folder flap opens up to protect the delicate brush hair.  There are eight pockets, also wide enough to hold multiple brushes.
Delight upon hairy delight!  My Suqqu cheek and face brushes are nestled into the pockets.  The handle of the Suqqu Face brush is large, but still comfortably fitting into a pocket.
It took a few short weeks to have it crafted and then shipped over from the UK, but well worth it!

What about you?  How do you store brushes at home for use and what are your favorite ways when you take them along for travel?

27 comments :

  1. It really looks very well made - I always enjoy good craftmanship (is that a word?... um)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a word. Is namesake one word or two?

      Delete
    2. You know when you stare at one word for too long and it starts to get weird looking and lose all meaning. That happens to me all the time.

      Delete
  2. It's gorgeous! Shame they are now sold out. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait! I was JUST looking at it on the site!

      Delete
  3. Ahhh pretty! I've always wanted a lot of stuff from the shop, but I've never taken the plunge! Now I really want this brush roll LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many beautiful things in the shop!!

      Delete
  4. It is so pretty! There is this understated luxury.
    I utilize round tumblers for brush organizing on my vanity but I don't have a separate roll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like jars type things to bc it makes it easier to spot the ones you are looking for, but I think the roll might be nice for travel.

      Delete
  5. Try this etsy seller http://www.etsy.com/shop/asoftblackstar. I have a brush roll from her and although not padded is beautiful and holds many, many brushes and looks beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen those too! I know many people that have and love those brush rolls!

      Delete
  6. This is so pretty, and looks so well-made! I've been itching to use the brush roll from the Trish McEvoy organizer I got a few weeks ago, but I haven't gone anywhere since then :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Ha! I don't travel much, so I don't know why I get travel things. But hope we get to take our brushes sometime soon!

      Delete
  7. So beautiful and useful too. I just checked the shop, there are really very pretty things in there. I also put the brushes to cups and when I travel, to a Hakuhodo brush case, but then they all change the shape when they lie flat. Like the round ones become a little flat if that makes sense so I don't know how to travel smarter with brushes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally know what you mean. The hairs compress down on itself when flat. IZ OK. I SHAKE EM, I SHAKE EM LIKE A POLAROID. Make em fluffers again.

      Delete
  8. I have friends who order cases like this for their knitting needles, and, really, good makeup brushes are even MORE of an investment, so this totally makes sense.

    Except for the part where I've been actively trying to pare down on how much makeup I travel with and have been seeking out a good travel brush kit. So buying this would add to the amount that I'm taking/be the excuse to take my full-size brushes...

    It's so gorgeous, though!

    Shani x
    She Dreams in Perfect French

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, I can always find a valid sounding excuse to get something beautiful. Actually this brush roll didn't take much convincing at all. :DDD

      Delete
  9. Love the fabric! Your brushes look all cozy in there! I would love to be able to travel in such a comfy way! Do they make them for people too? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must ask Stranger London to make us people sized rolls! THAT WAS BE AMAZE!

      Delete
  10. I adore Stranger London, and what beautiful shots you took of an exquisite object!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! and what a lovely lovely brush roll. the fabric and the craftsmanship is beautiful!

      Delete
  11. Hello! I am positively gleaming with delight that you took the time and effort to mention me on your lovely blog! Thank you so very much. I am pleased that you like the brush roll and I hope it serves you well for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for writing in! I can't begin to tell you how much I love it. It's a real beauty!

      Delete
  12. Ah gorgeous :-) I need a well made brush roll!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one puuuuuurdy brush roll!!! Does the TF bronzer brush fit in there??

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...