Sunday, February 9, 2014

Hello, New York: Bucolic

Instead of some sights from say Manhattan or Queens (or another part of New York City), today I have a view of beautiful Hudson Valley in New York State.  It's quite beautiful in these parts.  The snow and ice create some spectacular vistas along the partly frozen river.  I was mesmerized by the mirror like reflective surface of the river echoing the Palisades on the other side.
I had a few bright sunny hours today for picture taking, but instead of mulling over all things makeup, my family and I took a little trek over to Stone Barns.  It's a non-profit situated in lower Hudson Valley promoting agriculture and food, it is also home to a highly well-regarded restaurant called Blue Hill.  Blue Hill is truly a farm to table restaurant growing and raising the ingredients used in the restaurant.  I myself haven't dined there yet, but hope to make the trip with my husband at some point.

Today we went to the farmer's market that operates on Sundays, and the café and picked up some delicious lunch.

A sandwich stuffed with homemade bologna, and grainy and vinegary mustard.  I've eaten Oscar Mayer before, but this makes old Oscar to shame.  This we picked up from the café.
And from the farmer's market, a savory pizzette:
Ok, so maybe this was my 4th cup of coffee of the morning.
We shared the crumbs with the little sparrows that flocked near the outdoor seating area.
In addition to the outdoor fields, they operate a large greenhouse, growing all manner of interesting produce.
We saw many animals at the farm, oinking, clucking and baaaing indoors.  The large white sheepdog regarding us suspiciously.  Maybe he smelled the bologna on us?
I hope you enjoyed the sights away from the city hustle and bustle!

Happy Sunday!  Hope you all enjoyed a restful weekend.  What did you do this weekend?

22 comments :

  1. Oh sooo lovely! What a great day you had and I love every single one of your pictures! Sure beats my day in pj's! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have LOVED some time in my pjs watching the Olympics or something. My kids gets restless and start going cuckoo. I need to go out or face the wrath of little girls. :D

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great family day out, J! Great pics, and the food - yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I can't wait to try the restaurant on a nice evening out with the husband!

      Delete
  3. I worked & took a nap. You had a much prettier day!!!! Love all your pictures...the blue hill sounds amazing but your cafe lunch looks delicious!!!! Are you a mustard fan??? If so I've got one for you :-) thank you for sharing your weekend!!! Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't hate mustard. I like it but I don't think I am a conoissuer or anything. What the mustard rec? I think we need to start a condiments blog. :D

      Delete
    2. Oooooh I looooove me some condiments and while we're at it, I'll tell you I'm a sauce girl through and through!!! Condiments blog…don't tempt me!!! I'm not a connoisseur or anything either, but I know when I like a condiment and when I don't. And I LOVE this mustard. It's the only mustard we eat at home! I'm not going to tell you what it is though…just keep an eye on your mailbox :-)

      Delete
  4. Everyone (myself included) forgets that New York is more than just the city sometimes. Thanks for the reminder, this looks like a wonderful way to spend a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the downstate folks (although Westchester county, where Stone Barns is located, is downstate) forget that life doesn't revolve around NYC oftentimes! It was cold but absolutely beautiful yesterday!

      Delete
  5. Bucolic indeed! So lovely & many times I don't realize things like these are available a stone throw away from big city like Manhattan. Love this.. thanks for sharing the pictures with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literally a few miles north of NYC! It's amazing what beautiful sights to see just outside of the big city. Thanks for checking out the pictures.
      Now I am craving that bologna sandwich!

      Delete
  6. Lovely pictures, Belly :-) I only visited Minnesota and New Orleans about 10 years ago. I should make another trip to the US one day - just that the 24-hour flight kinda kills the urge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minnesota! I've only been there once, but it was in the middle of the winter. I complain about NYC cold, but Minnesota was the coldest I've ever been in my whole life! From your neck of the woods to the US (and vice versa) makes travel really difficult. I'd love to visit Asia again, but those flights, especially with little kids make me not want to ever do it again! D:

      Delete
  7. Oh love the sparrow and the piggies ;-)
    Beautiful winter scenery, still no snow here, so instead I am enjoying your photos and you seem like enjoying the brand new camera! Yay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the sparrows were cute, and very bold. :) those crumb stealers. After seeing the cute little piglets, my husband told me he can't bear the thought of eating pork again. Me, no such qualms. Both the bacon I had with my pancakes in the morning and the bologna in my sandwich were all very delicious. What's with that German winter, Sara?! I keeping on seeing green in all your blog pictures!

      Delete
  8. Thanks a lot!!! Now I can figure out what a sparrow is (instead of just thinking of Jack Sparrow lol). You know, it's always complicated when you know things by a different name, and I think I never took an English lesson to learn all animal names -except for primary school where we learned the more common.

    I had a nice weekend, I didn't go out the city (I almost live outside the city) but went downtown... might post about that later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, I am just impressed with how fluent you are in English! :) I wouldn't know how to say sparrow in Spanish either!

      Delete
    2. A sparrow is called "gorrión" in Spanish... and it's quite a common bird over here. Did I ever tell you that when I write bilingual posts, I usally write first in English and then translate into Spanish? Oh, another random fact!!! I guess it has to do with the fact that I went to a bilingual school (primary and junior high school) :)

      Delete
  9. That looks lovely! It was a nice distraction as I'm snowed in on the other coast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LP it's very unusual to get snow there, right? We're expecting another huge storm in the next two days. I just can't take it anymore!!! D:

      Delete
  10. I really wanted to get married here, but the venue is hella expensive, and the dinner is over $300 a person LOL woooo way over budget, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole place is really beautiful! $300/person! That's a wee little pricey, no?

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...