Monday, January 13, 2014

The Sweetest Comeback - Twinkies

A while back, Hostess, the snack-cakes company went out of business.  Many tears were shed over some iconic snack cakes.  Like the Twinkies.  But sometime in the middle of last year, a new company was established and Hostess cakes made a stupendous comeback.  I kept hearing about Twinkies sightings, but all I ever saw were empty shelves and unfulfilled promises.  Until I went into a local drugstore and found a mass of these and bought one.  I mentioned about my spur of the moment purchases and I guess this would be one of them.
I don't think I've eaten one of these since maybe college or high school?  Of course in those days, this was such a delicious treat.  A sponge cake filled with a white cream.  Sugary, soft and melt in your mouth.  How does it hold up 20 years later?  (Shelf life is well over one month, my memories are about 20 years old)
Plastic wrapper removed, the two cakes are awfully yellow.  It is very heavily scented with vanilla.  Or vanilla-y.  It smells sweet, too.  Hmm.

While not terribly heavy, for such an airy looking cake, it has a bit of heft.  You can see the machine poked holes stuffing it full of "cream."
Broken in half and peering into the inside, you can see there is a very high cream to cake ratio.  The cake was also very moist with the darker outside layer sticking to my fingers.
So how did it taste?  Overwhelmingly sweet and artificial tasting!  The cream was textured like shaving foam with a slight bitter aftertaste which was covered up with the cloying sweetness and fake vanilla.  Don't ask me if I finished eating both of them.  Going back with an overwhelming sense of nostalgia, I was crushed with disappointment.  I shall choose to remember Twinkies for the airy and delightful sweet confections of my childhood and pretend it died last year and never made its god forsaken comeback.

Ha, I fooled you!  Certainly if you been patient (or looney) enough to go through a whole post about Twinkies, you can stay a few more minutes for my "stash" pictures.  Why do we call it stash any way?  I feel like we're talking about a hidden trove of illicit substances.  Anyway, I'm forever figuring how I want to refine my products and definitely this blog has been thinking more about what are products, textures, brands that seem to work well for me.  Here's what I'm down to now.

This is my eye shadow drawer (IKEA Alex).
My pride and joy (makeup wise) are my Z Palettes of depotted eye shadows.

Rouge Bunny Rouge:

Suqqu depotted palettes:

THREE quads and duos:

Some other brands (Burberry, Chanel, Shiseido and one remaining Kjaer Weiss blush in Blossoming):

And my non-depotted eye shadow.
Addiction:

Suqqu (which I will likely depot soon.  I need them to continue to be "worth" it before I give them the honor of prying them out of the cases and into a Z):
 
 
Tom Ford:
 
A few others:


 
Blush drawer:

Pencil things drawer:

the MUJI acrylic case of lipsticks:


Base / Hair / Perfume / etc stacked into MUJI plastic bins:
and un-stacked:


Also skincare drawer with some backups and odds and ends:

Nail polish drawer:

This is the end result of many rounds of editing (and blog sales).  There is some ruthlessness is having to get rid of pretty things, but everything needs a reason for being in the drawer/bin.  Everything needs to perform and look its very best.

Now that I've shown you Twinkies and my whole stash, I feel like the blog is KAPUT!  I feel like I can always give the blog a little revving up by insinuating that there are even more things to show, but I really don't have much to show.  No, I really don't.  I may need to start swatching nail polish base coats or something.  In any case, for whatever reason you stay and read Wondegondigo, I am truly humbled and grateful.  And also feeling slightly nauseous from the Twinkies.

31 comments :

  1. Heheheeee..yesssssssssshhhhh so I was loooney enough to read through all that Twinkkkieeeelovee :D :D

    How do you have the patience to depot everything...and don't you get just the teeniest bit worried something might go horribly wrong while depotting? Still..it does look so much neater and organized this way, and easier to use too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I showed you all my sponge cakes! :DD
      I'm not very patient. Killed a few things including Burberry & RBR by not being patient and way too rough. But I like playing with plastic fumes & fire, so really it's kind of exciting. And the Japanese things either pop out with a little poke to the pinhole in the back or easily pried off with a sharp implement... you know like a pair of tweezers.

      Delete
    2. Oh..that's nice - about those Japanese pop-out thingies..but I would be superscared to do the heating scraping out kind of stuff. Am pretty sure will be left with mangled bits of shadow mixed with plastic :|

      Delete
    3. Once you cook 'em good, the plastic is malleable enough to just poke the pans out from underneath with a pointy object. Easy, just takes patience. :)) I just like seeing all my individual pans lined up for use. I don't think depotting is for everyone.

      Delete
  2. Sooooo organized! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) This is literally the only area in my life showing any signs of organization!

      Delete
  3. Your makeup is so organized! I like calling it a stash, because otherwise it's a collection and I hate that - it is not a collection for collecting! It is for wearing!

    The lady doth protest too much . . .

    Also the twinkie review was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ate one recently? I strongly do not recommend!

      Delete
  4. I love your makeup stash, the content and organisation. I feel a bit overwhelmed looking all the pretties...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, Linda! I would die if you posted pictures of your stash with all the beautiful light & photography. I'm in my happy place now, imaginging Selphia pretties.

      Delete
  5. I've never had Twinkies >_<
    And I see lots of great eye shadows!! I haven't done a makeup stash post before... I'm afraid I'd get overwhelmed myself. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like childhood treats are never as good when tried again later. Like so-se-ji (sausage) in Korea, a weird processed "meat" in little casings to be eaten cold as a snack. Now it tastes suspiciously like "meat" and not meat.

      :) do a stash post! I want to expend my voyeur skills alllll over your bloggy.

      Delete
  6. LOL I still remember when they announced Hostess were out of business and a co-worker of mine raided a local Seven Eleven and came back with boxes of them :-) And then again when Twinkies was bought, the same co-worker bought us yet again boxes of Twinkies. Ahh.. love that stuff, definitely brought nostalgia of school days.
    LOVE that collections of e/s, so well edited and well-thought.. would love to come over there for a makeup playdate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since starting to bake, I see that these convenience store cakes really don't taste as good by comparison. Maybe I need to try making my own Twinkies... call them Twonkies.

      Delete
    2. That's the thing!! Twinkies are artificially sweetened "cake" the way Tang is the artificial OJ or Fruit Roll-ups are the artificial fruits -- to me they are the food I eat for the sake of nostalgia rather than tasty consumption.
      I bet your Twonkies will taste so much better!

      Delete
    3. I send you over some Twonkies at some point. :)

      Delete
  7. OK, so I've been meaning to ask. HOW CAN YOU DEPOT TEH PRETTIES. I've been having space issues but I just can't bring myself to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's out of sight, out of mind, Carina! I have horrible middle-age memory. Try depotting some inexpensive things to make space. It's so fun to do, and very addictive. Now I just want to depot for the fun of it.

      Delete
  8. I remember when I finally gave my kids Twinkies. They were utterly confused and disappointed. Couldn't understand the fuss. (They were never my favorite anyway, I loved the chocolate cupcakes and the snowballs.)

    Those Tom Ford quads are still looking mighty fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ding Dongs, Snowballs... and drakes cakes. :D ah!!! I'm going to keep my happy childhood memories well in the past. They just don't hold up to the scrutiny of real life now. Your poor kids must have been thinking: blehhhh!

      Those are lovely Toms. I do like those two very much. :)

      Delete
  9. Twinkies!!! It's been a while since I don't try those... yes, we do have them in Mexico and we also have some very similar ones called "submarinos" (submarines), which are actually more popular than Twinkies AFAIR

    I love how your stash is organized, I guess I should start editing, doing blarg sails and having a much smaller stash that it's current size lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, if you have a better twinkies-like cake things in Mexico? Yum, drunk food all over the world. I'd like to take a world tour of it.
      I've edited a LOT. Get rid of stuff you don't want because it takes up space (physical & mental)!

      Delete
  10. Hello! New reader here introduced from MUA and Kate of DaF! I don't think your blog is done for at all, actually I have two blogpost suggestions after seeing your stash! THREE palette comparisons (the 4D ones especially) and a skincare series like Kate did a while ago! (Day, night, special treatments, weeklies, special tools, etc). Don't start swatching NP bases just yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AngerinDoll! Thank you for coming and thanks to Kate for introducing folks to my small-time twinkies operation here. :) I actually did a skincare post as a guest post on Gummyvision, but I think an update is in order as I've changed a bunch of things around.
      But the bases, they are all so sticky and basic. SWOOOOON!

      Delete
  11. LMFAO! For the record, I wanted MOAR ABOUT TWINKIES! I thought for sure the clickthrough would be about your deepfrying experimence :P (I only remember having deep-fried Twinkies, and they were yummeh, but so is deep-fried anythang....)

    Le stash is beautimous, of course :*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh, maybe deep frying will take the taste of artificial vanilla & cream and kills it? At home, I save my deep frying for home made buttermilk fried chicken & karaage chicken. NOMS! I shall send you a freshly spongy one in a next parcel. You can share my noms any time.

      Delete
    2. Now that you mention so much food, please post some how to cook things...like that cheesecake and all the yummy things you keep mentioning...please with cherries on top!

      Delete
  12. Ah, Hostess. I was quite sad when I learned they were going out of business--another chunk of my childhood relegated to the trash heap. And yet--their "goodies" truly are disgusting. Like you, I LOVED them as a child but as an adult…no. Still, it was fun revisiting them--from afar--with you.

    As for your collection and future blogposts, whatever you do--just please keep doing. Your posts are such a pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really devastated they went out of business, too! I'm now deciding on going to look for Snowballs, Ding Dongs, etc, to see if they measure up. Maybe that's a new series for the blog: "Childhood Memories Destroyed" I should have kept all my glitter bracelets, one glove, neon off the shoulder sweatshirts. At least those were fabulous things, right?

      Delete
  13. Iz looney! Read the entire thing LOL! I'm not sure but I think I've had Twinkies one in my life while in the States. In Canada we have a company that makes something similar and the last time I tried one of their "cakes" was maybe 15 years ago. I can still feel my stomach stirr at the thought!

    Oh how I should try to get my act together and do something about my makeup! Great job! All that RBR!!! Dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. twinkies! lol. Anywho... Good call on the kjaer weis, i just had an epiphany lol. buy the cream blush refill and not the one with the fancy packaging when i get around to it. Way more affordable! and your stash looks very well edited. i'm scared of getting alex drawers and then feeling like i HAVE to fill them. scary o.O

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...