Sunday, January 12, 2014

SURRATT Lip Luster in Améthyste

I definitely fall into impulse purchases.  Something striking and unusual to capture my eye will mean my wallet is prone to falling open and a credit card likely to fling itself at the cash register.  You?
 Yes indeedy.  One thing I try to stay away from is lip gloss.  I just don't like them.  I know there are legion of people that are gloss lovers, but I don't like the feel of slick thick goop on my lips.  I also love the look of a super glossy lips, but all that reapplication is a pain.

 But a look at this gorgeous beauty and I'm afraid my wallet had to give up the ghost, or rather the credit card.
 I mean, what the hell color is this?  Violet?  Pink?
 Is this unbelievably deliriously beautiful shimmer of iridescent bling bling?
 Can a swipe of the flattened flocked applicator make me love gloss?   Well, maybe not so fast but I will attest to its charms.
 Here is the gloss, first own its own, then layered over Tom Ford Black Orchid lipstick, and then layered over Guerlain Rouge Automatique in Reflex.  It's magical enough on its own, but over a a shade that has a lot of blue in it, the effect is magical.
 The crazy shimmer seems to really dance in certain lights.  In indirect natural light, the shimmer is apparent, but not as obnoxiously blingy as in the above direct natural light.  Low indirect light below.
There is a bit of cool blue in the gloss by itself, but on my naturally cool toned lips, it's really just enhances the cool tones subtly.
Again, it's all rather magical on cool lipsticks.  Here's what Améthyste looks like over Tom Ford's Black Orchid.
Truly truly beautiful.  But here is classic reason number 1 why lip glosses and I just do not get along.  I'm wearing the gloss over pinky red Visee Creamy Lipstick in RD401.  You see that red line under my lips on the left side?  Hair dragged in gloss and then over skin.  *violent shudder*
The goopy thick texture on the lips.  *gag*
The constant reapplication.  *stifles rage*
Am I going to keep this?  Of course I am!  It's freaking beautiful!  Maybe I can come out of my bat cave at night and do some nocturnal shiny glossy nightlife thing?  Eh?

For the gloss lovers among you, this is a slightly thick, super glossy gloss of incredible shimmer.  I'm sure some of you will require this gloss pronto!  SURRATT is exclusively at Barney's online & in stores.  Not in stock at the moment on line, but you can give the counter a call to order from the store.  Joey, the counter manager can help you (212) 833-2824.  

28 comments :

  1. Hey Belly, I have to admit I'm really not a gloss girl, but MAN THIS ONE LAYERS SO WELL! Is it strange that instead of the gloss, I feel like I should check out TF Black Orchid and beat myself on the head for missing out on Guerlain Reflex though? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even worse than Reflex, Black Orchid is discontinued now! D: WAHHHHHHH

      Delete
    2. i'm so sad to have missed them both!

      Delete
    3. I actually don't own a full tube of Reflex. It's too crazy on my face, but Black Orchid. Siiiigh. That is one stunning shade. Why TOM why dc Black Orchid?!!

      Delete
  2. Of course you're keeping it! It is so gorgeous! At first I thought you bought 3 different ones! :)
    Sometimes all the hassles are worth it. I mean, look at your pics!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so stunning in person. Sometimes in flashes in the light and then it's like WOAH!

      Delete
  3. Hello fellow impulsive buyer *waves*! LOL :-)
    I'm not really a fan of glosses, but this one looks all sorts of yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *waves waves vwaves* Every once in a while I need to give in. The lip glosses always call my name. I have to try to ignore them. I don't regret this one, though. I think it's earned its keep with my lip stuff!

      Delete
  4. Pretty lush lips :)
    I like a certain lip plumper for smoothing out lip lines but I only use it occasionally. I also hate gloss because of the hair thing and I have to wipe off any lip product before eating because most of them ruin the taste of yummy food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :()
      Some glosses, like this one are thick enough to actually catch up the tissue fibers and make a mess when taking them off! Arrrrrgh!

      Delete
  5. GAH! And this is why I get suckered into buying glosses, despite not being a gloss girl either. Have you tried the LMdB lip crèmes? Those are a great gloss formula perf for layering, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For full pigmented liquid things, I really like the Shiseido Lacquer Rouges. I've not tried the LMdBs though.
      I just like pretty sparkly things. I can not help myself.

      Delete
    2. I have one of those Shiseido ones (again, WHY?) and nearly went bankrupt with the Guerlain Rouge G L'Extraits (again, WHY? and also, exaggerating!), but yes, those are quite nice. This one is truly unique, though, Belly. Glad you had the good sense to purchase. HEH.

      Delete
    3. Oy Oy, Carina! The Guerlains are so expensive if you never end up using them! I feel your pains!! :) I like all the weird sparkles. I do do!

      Delete
  6. Love this over TF Black Orchid!

    Gloss - hair - line....okay, so thats never happened to me..orrrrrrrrr I have been walking about with streaks on my face, and of course the husband just thinks thats another "makeup trend" :|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How this no happen to you Rads? Maybe because I have very long hair that they tend to fal linto my face anyway. In any case, I keep on seeing your reviews of gorgeous glosses and it makes me descend into envy and rage. sticky sticky sticky!

      Delete
    2. I think it's cos my hair not so silky flowy like yours...most times it's all sticking out away from my head/face..so :|

      Delete
    3. Doesn't also random lint end up on your lips? Or cookie crumbs more likely to stick & stay glued to gloss? No? Just me?

      Delete
  7. I hear you about lipglosses... for that reason I keep mostly traslucent with lots of sparkle only. Having pigmented lips means most colors will look the same on me, so why bother with colored lipglosses??? My current favorites are Dior Etoile and Guerlain Gold Thlack... and I remember Givenchy made a similar one to the Surrat one you shared -but unfortunately it went bad too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Chanel Extrait de Gloss seems really very pigmented... more so like liquid lipsticks? Have you tried those (just not Controversy!). I think Kate Driveller mentioned a Shiseido one coming out that looks similar to the SURRATT in her recent roundup from the J mags.

      Delete
  8. Ah yes... the agony of the gloss. I would also add the fact that whenever I wear a gloss for a full day, the corners of my mouth seem to get sort of over-moisturized and sore. This one is, indeed, beautiful. Reminds me a little of an YSL gloss that I have that is similarly bewitching enough to make me put up with its... glossiness. This is just breathtaking over Black Orchid- I'm going to have to try a look like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kate! You are my vamp queen, do layer and see how it works out with the YSL!

      Delete
  9. Agree w/ Kate above, the AGONY! So pretty yet so lint-and-hair-and-everythingelse-magnet-y. That one is a nice topper for any lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you a gloss person, Claire? random ooky things sticking on the lips! I NO LIKE!

      Delete
    2. Me no likey ayther! They are lint magnets and Toddler magnet. Yes, one time, the Toddler actually clicked a whole tube of pen-gloss (I forgot which one, I bet the Stila one) and imagine the clean up of the shimmer bits! It took days and yes, some of it ended up in the diaper as well.

      Delete
    3. what is it with babies? how about pooping out the rainbow from eating crayons. that seems to happen to everyone I know. (the kids not the adults).
      Bane of households with little children: glitter, sharpies, playdough.

      Delete
  10. I am absolutely with you on lip glosses on all of the above points, and yet, I can totally see why you fell for that shade. I remember my heart did a pitter patter when I saw it at the counter. And you're making me sad I returned my Black Orchid (it was too blah on me—this would have revved it up!).

    Shani x
    She Dreams in Perfect French

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black Orchid is the most patchy & drying lipstick I own. I just can't get rid of it! The color is too pretty! :)

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...