Sunday, January 26, 2014

Crabby in All Sort of Manners

My irascible temperament these days is making me want to flip the bird all over the place.

Trying to maintain balance (the literal kind) on the slip and slide that is the icy streets and sidewalks, fending off crazy drivers who I'm sure are trying to smash into me... it's been rough.

Ok, nice things:
  • Seeing my little one in her ballet outfit jumping around
  • Seeing my big girl dribbling the basketball on the court
  • Cooking a truly delicious crab pasta from a Lidia Bastianich cookbook for the family to enjoy and share.  Here is the Google Book's view of the full recipe (here, page 127) :(   capellini lightly sauced with fresh marinara with lump crab meat, leeks, scallions, pickled cherry pepper, anchovies.  Absolute savory delight with al dente pasta!
Speaking of nice things, I love reading Claire's Thankful Tuesday series on her blog from the land of lorp.  A very reflective moment in writing of the things in life to be thankful for.  

Perhaps I am not thankful or reflective enough.  Especially when the work vending machine takes my dollar bill and instead of spitting out the Hersey's bar, getting it stuck mid-dispensing.  I mean, man, that puts me into a near rage!  <---anger management potential right there.

And maybe instead of flipping the bird at the driver making a right turn and almost hitting me, maybe I should thank my lucky stars, for not letting me get hit after all.  *Heavy sigh*

Look what I finally bought!  A full jar of of Chantecaille Future Skin in Porcelain.  See, a few deluxe samples made me convinced I need a full size for mixing into my Chamomile.
Which doesn't necessarily mean I don't look at other foundations.  At a counter on a recent visit to a store, an SA recommended a particular foundation.  She first matched me to the darkest shade in the range.  When I protested, she went one shade down.  I think this whole foundation matching conundrum has become an unreasonable pet peeve for me.  I shall shrug and move on now. 

*shrug shrug shrug*  *eye twitch*

Moving on:

Lydia Bastianich's Capellini with Crab Meat, butchered, I mean demonstrated:

Though the recipe calls for a cup of this or 1/4 cup of that, I chop as much as I want.  For instance, I like a small number of those cherry peppers.  If I were making this for myself, I would buy the hot variety and throw in a ton, but I have to say that the kids do protest loudly when I do that.  So in this case, sweet variety and just two of them.  Don't forget to really wash those leeks by letting them soak in water.  They are full of sand.

While I was preparing this, I ate an anchovy all by myself.  Even those not fans of it on pizza, wouldn't mind the salinity and depth of flavor these suckers provide in a dish.  Not fishy, just YUMMY!
I make my own marinara sauce but out of a jar is fine.  You want that heated and nearby while you go about chopping and preparing the rest of the sauce.

In a large pan, heat up some extra virgin olive oil and dump the anchovy fillet in.  Magically it breaks down into nothingness.  Leaving no fish, just yum.
I said, YUM!
 Into that pan toss in your leeks, let soften.  Then add the scallions and chopped cherry peppers.  Let small child gently toss them around the pan for a few minutes, while you go smoke a ..., I mean, while it softens up and become fragrant.
No small children were harmed in the making of this blog post.
Ladle in the marinara sauce.  Recipe calls for 2 cups, but I put in more to make some extra sauce to freeze.
 Bribe child to stir until mixed, pry her off the stove to allow sauce to bubble away gently.
 In the meanwhile, before you even began to get hungry, you should have put a big pot of water to boil.  Toss in some salt.  At the stage when you sauce (above) is bubbling away like so, throw your capellini (or angel hair pasta) into the pot.  I swear to Pan, do NOT walk away.  You want to only very quickly cook this pasta for 2 minutes.  It will cook some more in with the sauce and there is nothing worse than overcooked capellini.  Except when Shu Uemura discontinues your HG cleansing oil.  That may be worse than overcooked capellini.  Apart from that, this is pretty much the worst thing that can happen.
 After 2 minutes (pasta pliable but hard), drain the water, toss the pasta back in the pasta pot.  Reserve a cup or two of the pasta water.  You can add the extra water in to get the right consistency later on.

Now to complete the sauce, add the lump crab meat into the sauce and gently stir to break up the giant glob.  But don't stir too hard.  You paid a lot of money for the big jumbo lumps.
 Once the crab is mixed into the sauce, put on top of the pasta.  Add another big glug of olive oil, toss gently with tongs.  If the sauce seems awfully thick, chuck in your reserved pasta water until you get a saucy consistency to your preference.
 Hot pasta waits for no one.  Not a Sephora sales event, not a husband meandering around the house.  You get that pasta onto a heated plate and you consume it quickly.  It is best enjoyed piping hot.

I thank the good Lord that my livelihood depends neither on my blog, my cooking nor my photography skills.  This looks bizarre (kind of like Martha Stewart's food pictures on Twitter), but I attest its deliciousness.
Needs a green garnish or something
You can store left over pasta in fridge but really, do your best to consume right after you make it.  Invite friends and family.  It's really at its best served right away.  However, I found extra sauce to freeze pretty well. So there's that.

Pasta cooking rules:
Lots of olive oil.  Add more to the final product.
Damn it don't over cook your pasta!
Finish your pasta cooking in the sauce.
Add more oil.
I hope to Pan you did not forget to salt your pasta water.
Hot finished pasta waits for no one.

And so that's that.

30 comments :

  1. This looks delicious and I'm going to have to try it to see if it has the same magical powers to relieve my crabbiness as well. Of course, I'll need to borrow a child, which tends to make other people crabby, like their parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may borrow my small children whilst you cook crab. That may also magically relieve my winter crabbiness. :)

      Delete
  2. That foundation and pasta *drool
    I always forget to salt pasta water but I throw in a pinch of chilli powder lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My marinara always has some dried red pepper flakes in it! :D

      Delete
  3. Looks delicious... and I'm so curious about the Chantecaille foundation! If not so pricey, I might just get one sight unseen. Chamomile sounds like a good enough match :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Future Skin would hold up so well in that part of the world. Doesn't fare near so well in humid/hot climates! I mostly try to wear tinted sunscreens in the summer. :) But Chamomile would be a nice match for you I think so too!

      Delete
  4. Chantecaille is such a gorgeous line of cosmetics on many levels, but definitely not within my spending comfort zone, but beautiful no less. I love when you do posts like this where you do a little rant of sorts, but I am loving this collage of cooking steps, how fun:) Thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) thanks for reading my ranting! Chantecaille is a very refined brand, which is appealing and unappealing all at the same time. Sometimes, I need some garish clown in my life. Stay warm and have a good rest of your weekend.

      Delete
  5. Hahaha....I read, 'capellini lightly sauced with fresh marijuana' !!!
    I love the way you write! Articulate, but not OTT fancy pants with the vocab, genuine & soooo funny!
    This recipe sounds really yummy & easy! I need to do a look see whether we get tinned / bottled crab meat here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I want to come over to your house for some capellini prepared your way! ;) ehehehe. Listen, once I start posting stuff like that, my spam comments would take a turn for the worse and out of control in no time.
      It's a super easy dish, just some chopping. :)

      Delete
  6. Yum! I haven't had lunch yet and this post has made me hungrier! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went out and had pasta again for lunch. I am stuffed and may never be hungry again....ever!

      Delete
  7. Ahhh Perfetto!!! I think the next time I prepare some pasta I'll be smiling thinking of this post! It looks absolutely delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-** Love pasta! Please think of me and my crabbiness while you prepare a delicious meal.

      Delete
  8. I will try this with fresh calamari..it is in season now in Greece, and I wanted to ask for so long...what does WONDEGONDIGO meaning? Thank you. Amalia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amalia,
      Fresh calamari sounds spectacular. Or octopus. Yum!
      Wondegondigo doesn't mean anything at all really! Wondegon and Digo are made up toddler/baby words from each of my daughters when they were really little. Those were all purpose words for "this one, that one" "woe woe is me!"

      Delete
  9. This weather is absolutely reason enough to be crabby. I look at the women wearing heels in the snow and I just shake my head.

    Retail therapy is so called for! I've heard great things about this foundation, but if I'm going to splurge on a ridiculously priced foundation, I think it's going to be By Terry Densiliss. :)

    Shani x
    She Dreams in Perfect French

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've changed my footwear completely over to lug soles and insolation. I don't do stilettos anymore! :)
      I've heard Densiliss is great for combination skin. I hope you find a great color match!!!

      Delete
  10. Mmmm, pasta! I think I love pasta more than I love a really lovely foundation (though maybe not).

    And color-matching rarely works for me (surface redness makes my skin look deeper than it actually is). I may well have to score a sample of the Chantecaille.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE pasta! I can nearly eat it every day and this weekend I did! :)

      I wonder if it is the redness in my skin that throws people off too. Huh! Yes, give the Chante a try. You might like it!

      Delete
  11. :O~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Ah, my sister in anchovy-from-the-jar-nomming! :D I am a sucker for that salty umami depth mmmmmm must grab some crab and make this tonight!

    But dude, no secret belly marinara recipe? I'm always looking for new tweaks to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *wipes droooool*
      That savory anchovy may have been my favorite part of dinner that evening! :)

      Marinara recipe hence forth:
      1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil heated in a saucepan
      8 or so large crushed garlic cloves added and lightly browned & fragrant (burned garlic tastes like shit)
      crushed red pepper flakes (to preference)
      2 28oz cans of whole peeled san marziano tomatoes (packed in juice, never in paste or sauce) - I remove the seeds and smoosh with the juice in can.
      Dump tomato into pan, let cook bubbling gently & uncovered until thickened.
      Add salt to taste
      Add bunch of fresh basil and let cook a bit longer
      Bam, marinara better than from a jar.

      Delete
  12. lol about the shu and getting little belly to stir lol. pasta looks goooooood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL I already have this image of you in my head, "FLIP-U, crazy driver!!!!" "O.k. 2x, serenity now..." "Oh, look how cute is baby Belly in her ballerina costume, aww..." "Wait, where the HECK IS MY Flipping Hersey BAR?? Darn you machine" *bang bang bang*
    Salivating over your pasta, didn't know Costco has a big jar of Chicken Crab. Love!
    And it's an honor indeed to have been mentioned here in your blog. Thank you, my dear Belly <3<3 Now, when can I book one of your Belly, Jr. to help me with kitchen tasks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lol'd when husband brought the chicken of the sea brand home. I was having my very own Jessica Simpson moment: is this crab or chicken? It used to be another brand that Costco carried. Anyway, this brand seems so so. The other brand (in a black/red container seemed tastier).
      I lent out my little ones. They also very handy at washing makeup brushes.

      Delete
  14. That looks yummy!!! I'm hungy now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-** feeds you all the delicious pasta!

      Delete
  15. Only the SUPER LUMP version would do, eh? ;D The pasta looks superb, and I hope it helped soothe your spirits! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Not just jumbo lump. Only the super lump. What a weird container. Is that an industry standard term you think?

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...