Friday, January 31, 2014

30 Random Facts About Me

My special thanks @___@ to Monika from Rocaille Writes for this tag.  Which forces me to count upwards of thirty.  A big number to be sure.  Only exceeded by my numbers of lipsticks.  And eye shadows.  And blush.  And...

You don't need a nice cup of tea of enjoy this post.  You need a chair and a horse tranquilizer.  Enjoy.  /commencing wall of text



1. Speaking of the number thirty, I was born in South Korea and appears I've failed to master several basic skills related to the Korean language while there.  There are two ways of counting in Korean.  One can count based on Chinese characters (which I can do), but Korean counting, I truly struggle counting past 30.  So I say, thank goodness we're talking 30 randoms about me versus like 40, because shiiiiiiit, we'd be in trouble.  (If you are interested in learning a little more about counting in Korea, check out this excellent blog post from Ask A Korean here)

2. On math, I did learn my multiplication table pretty well though.  But I memorized it in Korean.  And while my English skills far exceed my original native tongue, I can only do multiplication in my head in Korean.  That's some freaky hard wiring in the brain going on.

3. I used to travel a LOT a LOT for work and I love long haul flights.  I never had any beauty rituals or anything, but would stay up for the duration of a long haul flight to Hong Kong and watch 5 movies in succession.  There was that time I watched Hachi with Richard Gere and I started to cry, I mean truly sob heaving sobs on a flight.  I wasn't embarrassed!  I think the business dude next to me may have been embarrassed on my behalf.

4. Best flight experiences were always on Cathay Pacific where movies are non stop, as are endless snacks and meals all around.  Food-wise, Korean Air rocks for it's epic bibimbap (with a SQUEE-inducing little gochujang tube) and snack of shin ramen.

Apparently Korean Air has a blog on blogpost?!
source :http://koreanairpr.blogspot.com/
5. I thought I would grow up and become a poet.  Won awards as a student.  I am a poet, and I didn't even know it.

6. I have a horrible, rude, completely juvenile sense of humor.  A coworker pronounces shirt "Shart."  I can't even deal with the body wracking tremors of giggly laughter that spews.  Look, I said shart and spew.

7. Worst thing about parenting (since we are on a poop roll) is seeing poop and seeing it often. (this factoid was aggressively edited.  you're welcome)

8. I'm obsessive.  My blog helps me work through makeup I'm obsessing over, but I get obsessed over things like: best gel pens ever.  best rose scented perfumes ever.  best lilac nail polish ever.  best thermal underwear ever.  best bloootooth head piece ever <---drawer full of headpieces for which I'd worn for a short period until I realized, I looked like an asshole.

9. I have a vivid makeup related memory to share.  When I was a kid (12 or so), my sister and I went to TSS (like a K-Mart) in Maspeth, Queens taking the M train.  (fellow Queens dwellers in the house?  Holla!)  I remember selecting a $0.99 frosted pink nail polish to purchase, taking it to the counter.  Painstakingly counting out pennies and arriving at $0.98.  The cash register lady said I couldn't buy it.  Wah!  I still tear up thinking about it.

10. Speaking of things I couldn't have, as a kid I really loved Sanrio stationary and knick-knacks.  Until I was old enough to actually buy my own and then lost all interest.  This seems to be a theme with my consumption patterns, too!  Can easily obtain, no want!

11. I strained myself into thinking I would become pre-med in college (severe parental pressure) until it became clear that my lack of counting skills would prohibit competent care of patients.  In the name of health and well-being for the population, I changed my mind.

12. I like to sing, loudly and obnoxiously.  In a group singing setting, I'm the one oddly attempting a harmony and butchering the lyrics.  Eyes without a Face?

13. I've lost all will to wear nice shoes.  I used to work where I'd get discounts to all sorts of fancy shoes and had a most epic collection.  When my husband and I were selling our apartment, the real estate agent advised us to lock up the shoes to thwart any attempt at theft.  Now it's flip flops in the summer or Keens and snow boots in the winter.

14. I used to be a huge reading fanatic.  And have really not read much in a long while.  I love reading Haruki Murakami, though 1Q84 was really misogynistic and full of round perky boobs.  I've been working on reading MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood (another favorite author of mine), but struggling to get engaged.  I think in the era of smartphones, 40-character social engagement, soundbites and 6-second video clips, my ability to sustain my attention has really fallen off.  Dohh?  I've become stupider.

15. I think this you already know from my last post on taking blog pictures, but I'm really interested in learning to take better digital photographs.  Not only for the blog, but for the rest of the things I take pictures of.  (dangle dangle)

16. I spend a lot of time (excluding normal makeup thoughts) thinking about food and coffee.  I spend daydreaming minutes anticipating my next cup of coffee.  I swoon in the morning smelling the coffee maker auto-timer going off and delicious coffee scent filling the house.  While at one point I was into fanceh smanceh coffee and brew methods, I am actually now a big fan of Dunkin Donuts.  Don't throw your cup at me!  You just a SNOB!  and I'm just a PLEBE!  I buy the giant 50 pound bag at Costco on the regular.  (I don't have an addiction.  I don't know what you are implying)  And only half and half.  No sugar and no skim milk shit.  In general I almost always prefer iced coffee and will cold brew it.  But it's too cold now.  TOO COLD FOR LIFE.
17. I seem to have a poor internal thermostat.  I am always over heating or feeling cold.
18. Growing up in a very urban area, I seem to be missing some critical life skills.  I swim barely.  I'm just learning to ride a bicycle now.  I only got my drivers license at the age of 22.  Now I'm in the suburbs where my children swim like fish, ride bikes on the roads and I will drive as soon as they are allowed.

19. I love ethnic cuisine, but the first taste of anything usually not a good experience.  Vietnamese, Indian, Thai, Mongolian foods were all yuck.  Great now, but yuck then.  I've only had filipino cuisine once and did not enjoy it.  I suspect if I went back to try again, I would have a much better experience.  It's something about the initial onslaught of unfamiliar flavors that is overwhelming.

20. While I love city living (lived in NYC and recently spent time living in Seoul), suburban life is very enjoyable.  I love looking out of a window at home and seeing trees, hearing birds. 

21. I once ate a pound of bacon in one sitting.
22. I once ate a pound of sharp cheddar cheese over the course of one day.

23. I have a healthy respect and love for country music.  More alt country, though.  I like Ryan Adams and when he plays with the Cardinals.  Cold Roses is one of my favorite albums and in particular, Magnolia Mountain makes me weepy.

24. I think Jeff Buckley died too young. 

25. Delicious things remembered through the lens of childhood can become truly disgusting.
Intestines.  To be consumed with soju.  To kill the taste.
26. I love horror movies.  I don't know why!  In particular love zombie related movies (and books).  Obviously I am still watching the Walking Dead and eagerly awaiting its return from mid-season break.

27. I don't care how cold it is.  I can not abide by socks in bed.  That is just disgusting.  In college I wore flip flops during the winter.  Don't you see?  My toes need to breathe and have freedom of movement.

28. Seeing Ladurée shopping bags on the street make me filled with woes.  I don't want pastries!  I want the makeup!

29. I started this blog for many reasons, but one was to generate enough traffic to conduct blog sales.  It's true.  There was a purely commercial reason for it.

30. I never did become a poet. :(

You poor thing.  Now that you've been overly saturated with the Belly, you can poke yourself in the eye for having read all this nonsense. 

Want to share a few random facts about yourself in the comments?  Also, because tagging is loving, I tag:
I also keep on hearing whine whine whine.  30 facts.  so MANY facts.  Just make things up.  Bet you can't even tell where I am just making stuff up.

44 comments :

  1. I love and crave coffee so much that when I see people drinking it at night, I am filled with RAAAAAAGE because I am not them. XP I have to stop by lunch if I want to fall asleep before 3am, so I now keep some decaf coffee on hand for when I want the taste. It's probably why I describe myself as a morning person, and why I like mornings because that's when I can drink as much coffee as I'd like. Oh god. Even just typing these sentences make me want to go get a cup nao.

    The poetry thing totally explains your way with words! :D And if you're interested in books from the Motherland, Dalkey Archive Press have published a series of Korean modern classics translated into English. As for Maths, ugh, I'm an Asian who Can't Do Math. :( But because I went to school in Asia, my arithmetic is solid and I do multiplication in Chinese, even though English is kinda my first language and dominates everything else.

    This was fun to read! Do 20 more!! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. I know 20 plus 30 equals 50. That's too big! XDDD
      Coffee. YUMMMMMM COFFEE!!!!
      Thank you so much for the Korean classics recommendation! I just need to finish this Atwood book even if it kills me.
      I love the sound of written and spoken language.

      Delete
  2. Coffeee!! I love coffee. aww, you love zombies, so after my last picture you love me as well? ;) now we friends? LOL. I just love how you play with words and that nonsense (you said) was pretty good to read and I enjoyed it! / Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love you Claire. So now you know in all certainty how I was lavishing compliments on you. :D

      Delete
  3. 1. So fascinating!! I didn't know that, but then of course, I don't know Korean. 2. Wow, that is freaky indeed. 4. I'd take Shin ramen anytime for snack. 7. Word. 8.The best gel pen ever must be Uni-Ball from Mitsubishi, yes? 9. They didn't have penny jar? what kind of shop is this?? 29. That is cold, dude, I got sucked right in with all your charm of pretty LOTDs, yummy foods, even the cute news/happening of Belly Jrs every now and then. All these for blog sale?

    Yep, I need my Guinness now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why can't US airlines offer shin ramen on the plane. That would be the best airline meal ever. 7... *shudder* My kids are toilet trained of course, but even still, on occasion.
      Uni Ball, yes yes yes! 9. shop for jerks run by jerks, of course!
      29. Yes. But now that think of all the investment I've made into the blog, the money I made off of blog sales doesn't seem like a very good return. I LOSE IN LIFE, Claire.

      Delete
  4. I read all. Lots of green tea was consumed.

    I would love to know what your perfect Lilac nail polish and rose perfume is. I love the smell of real roses and perfumes just don't come close, I guess I like a very specific rose and they just don't make it lol. I'm very fond of a rose hybrid called Blue Moon and the flower is kind of lilac in colour with a wonderful scent.

    I can't do maths in my head but I'm great at spreadsheets. The disappointing looks I get when people ask me maths is priceless but not as priceless as their reaction to me not being able to speak or understand Asian languages like Mandarin.

    Coffee or tea has no effect on me.

    Oh darn some food burned...*runs off to fix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excel spreadsheets! I love doing those. But yeah, any kind of academic math is a struggle for me. I am a big disappointment to the Asian stereotype.

      I think my lilac polish was some Sally Hansen but this was years ago so I've moved on. On rose scents, I asked Beauty Habit to send me as many rose scented perfume samples as I could bear, so I tried a bunch. Not sure I really found anything. I tried La Fille de Berlin recently which felt very close and warm on the skin. Liked. Not sure I'd buy a bottle. I have a few Cafe Rose from Tom Ford, which I like, but dries down too fast.

      what you burn??

      Delete
    2. Whole potatoes, I didn't put enough water and forgot about them haha. They were still ok and they went well with the steak and mushrooms + greens. My mum and sisters think I can't cook :(

      Weird thing with rose scents, I can't stand some of them after a while. Jurlique rose hand cream use to smell amazing to me 10 years ago but now it smells bad. I tried some random orchid perfume, hoping they would smell like orchids but they smelled disgusting like cough syrup and incense (that smells worse than durian or sulphur to me). I will try to hunt down Tom Ford Cafe Rose for a sniff.

      Delete
    3. I love whole potatoes boiled with lots of salt. I can make a meal of this!

      Rose is such a weird thing (in perfumes, scented products). It can all go so terribly wrong. I heard the Jurlique is wonderful. THere is a shop on my commute/walk, I think I will go & take a sniff. Never had the pleasure of a durian. It must be glorious stinky vile delicious!

      Delete
    4. This is interesting--I would have never considered myself even remotely the rose parfum wearing type (just never appealed) but i just got a random sample of the ROSES de Chloe and I actually REALLY like it! It so surprised me--have you all tried that one?

      Delete
    5. Hi bug pin! I've not tried the Roses de Chloe yet. That sounds interesting, I will give it a sniff. I kind of like the scent of real roses, but something about rose perfumes really get me going. Thank you so much for the recommendation!!!

      Delete
  5. Haha you've got to be one of the most hilarious people I know! High five for a fellow city girl! I'm in the "suburbs" now as well. To be honest I'll be kinda sad that my kids will not grow up to be the unapologetic city girl that I am, but at the same time I am jealous of the freedom they will have (riding bikes with their little friends in the hood! Playing on the street!) ;) I am also mildly addicted to coffee. Nobody should talk to me before I finish my morning cup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^5 City Slicker! I will kind of regret having my kids freely take the subways, going to museums, etc. But it's a nice quiet lifestyle away from the hustle and bustle.
      I love sitting out in the back deck and watch dozens of birds flit and fly around the giant cherry tree. I've never seen so many kinds of birds before (apart of zoos, aviaries). Those Blue Jays, etc, so cute.
      Drinking my second cup as I type! xxx

      Delete
  6. Girl, you may not have become a poet but the way you put words together crack me up everytime!!! That cash register "lady" was a total witch! I would have given you that penny baby! Now I knew you were one after my own heart... FLIP FLOPS foreveeeerrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FLIP FLOPS! Toes must be free. I suspect that doesn't fly up in Canada so much in the winter, huh?
      :) That lady was MEAN. Very grumpy. Maybe she was trying to do me a favor and not allow my beauty obsession to bloom. Didn't work.

      Delete
    2. LOL I wear them all the time in the house and have been seen taking out the trash in them, in the snow! No biggie since they dry fast! :D

      Delete
  7. LOL! I think if we actually met in person, we'd have the dirtiest jokes thrown around. Juvenile? Pfft. Who cares?!?!! Great knowing you better :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) thank you for reading all this! In addition to dirty jokes, I enjoy all manner of stupid jokes. My favorite ones are told by my youngest daughter.

      Delete
  8. I don't want to start writing my facts in comments in case someone ever tags me (not that I think anyone will), but I loved reading yours. We have quite a bit in common - I love long-haul flights too but recently have only been on the short-haul track (boo!). xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your tag wish is my command! xoxo
      You've been officially taggled.
      All of this just confirms how much I love you!

      Delete
  9. What an awesome read and I loved reading more about the fabulous Mrs.Belly. I LOVE horror films! Whether I'm sitting on the sofa or doing something in another room, 99.9% of the time some horror film is playing in my apartment. As I write this comment Sinister is playing in the background; love that movie and highly recommend it. With all the screaming, my neighbors must hate (or fear) me :P


    Btw, am I the only person interested in the verdict on the thermal underwear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rewatched Sinister recently, Liz! It was really good until it got really hokey at the end. Which I think happens to lots of horror movies.

      Uniqlo Heat Tech eh? Inexpensive, light, layer-able. Comfortable. :D In Korea, where they didn't size up (unlike here in the US), I got super grumpy wearing XL. I love American vanity sizing. Back down to a normal Medium.

      Delete
    2. I really enjoyed Sinister's score, and not knowing anything about the film before watching it, I was pleasantly surprised.

      Yeah, unless you're built like an 11 year old boy, clothing sizes can be extremely depressing in Asia :'(

      Delete
    3. Also, if you want any Laduree, I'm only an email away :D

      Delete
    4. :-**
      I also noticed in Japan, they often carry only 2 sizes in the department stores. I'd hold up a garment and just CRY/LAUGH. HAHAHAHAHAH! BOOOhoooooo.

      Delete
    5. Girl, don't get me started on Japanese department store! I'm a 36 C (almost D), so unless it's a pullover, I'm not getting any love in the top department. I may have to do my own 30 questions tag :P

      Delete
    6. Liz, we need your tag post! I can't wait to read it. Fact #1, 36C vavavaVOOOM! ;)

      Delete
  10. Thank you for doing the tag, dear Belly! Hahah, I count in Polish too, and I've also noticed that I struggle more to give directions in English - but then, Polish is my proper first language, I can't claim to be properly bilingual. I like Haruki Murakami too, although have to agree 1Q84 wasn't his best, and love love Jeff Buckley. And yes, Polish people know too that intestines are delicious, especially in soup :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monika for giving me the opportunity to do what I love most: incoherent rambling! <33
      Funny what happens to dual language brains, huh?
      I do like intestines actually, just the particular grilled thing about was pretty much the most vile thing I've eaten in a long time!

      Delete
  11. *revels in the belly*
    MOAR MOAR MOAR! Open mic belly night!

    And WWepicPost of you modelling/reviewing every wanky bluetooth headpiece in that drawer!

    I also find the MaddAddam trilogy disappointing/cold. And I was SO EXCITE Atwood was going back to post-poc, too.

    *wears socks to bed* it's that or have them fall off in the middle of the night. I have a CONDITION.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MOAR MOAR MOAR MEMEMEMEME!
      I have to say, American English really needs to put Wanker/Wanky into more use. It's such an excellent way of denoting assholerly at its very best. Eh?
      You wear socks in bed? D: *shuns* *SHUNS*

      Delete
  12. This is wonderful! I've actually been trying to read more lately, although the first book I picked up this year has reminded me how crushingly depressing a well-written book can be. Murakami actually has one of my very favourite quotes, from "Dance Dance Dance": "What we seek is some kind of compensation for what we put up with". True, that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dance Dance Dance! I loved that book! Loved all the earlier novels so much. That's phrase is truth. I need to re-read this and Hard Boiled Wonderland...

      Delete
  13. I read these all and giggled the whole way through! It sounds like we have the exact same taste in books. Have you read any Paolo Bacigalupi? Pump Six & Other Stories is a short story collection, so it's perfect for damaged attention spans :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the PB recommendation, Nicci! I am also trying to plow through a non-fiction book called A World of Curiosities. It's a series of facts for hundred of countries of the world, maybe a page or two per country. For the life of me, I can not maintain my attention for this either. D: D:

      Delete
  14. Can I just tell you how wonderful you are?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this post Belly, you made me laugh out loud and hubbie muted the tv "what's so funny?" oh never mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it the bacon?

      Now I have to share with my family and the kids hardly leave me one little scrap of a piece!

      Delete
  16. Belly! I loved reading this. I also count and do maths in Chinese. Recently I've just given up going against the grain and I memorise numbers in Chinese now too. My sister and I have even made up a tune to memorise my mum's phone number! And because the numbers are monosyllabic in Chinese it rolls of the tongue and probably takes 3 seconds to sing. >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa! Blogger seems to like to swallow up my own comments. STOOPID STOOPID!
      Seems like something so fundamental like counting and memorized multiplication tables really really get sunk in deep into the brain. Let's give me. I shall be in the corner reciting my 8 times tables in Korea. :)

      Delete
  17. Sorry it's taken me so long to comment on this post, but just so ya' know I did read it when you first posted…and I laughed…and laughed a lot!!! You so FUNNY!!! At least you can count to 30 in Korean. I'm Korean (well sort of, but more on that in my 30 facts thing) and cannot speak a word of it and have only every had Korean food once. It was not a good experience. I'd like to remedy that at some point in my life but trauma has a way in digging in LOL

    I get super obsessy too…doesn't matter what it is…makeup, a book I'm reading, a series on netflix I can't stop watching, organizing, getting lint off of pants. Husband absolutely hates socks in bed too…he calls them…well never mind but it's dirty and funny and maybe I'll tell you in a different mode of communication sometime HA HA HA!!! Thanks for the tag, but thank you so much for for sharing!!!! Loves me some BEEEEELLY!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;) I know how you love tags, so, doing my bloggerly duties. Do is it doodies?

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...