Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Suqqu Frame Fix Cream Foundation N

If the thought of buying color products like lipstick, eye shadows and blush sight unseen is scary, imagine buying a foundation sight unseen.  And then think about the expensive pricing of a brand like Suqqu.  Makes a normal person crawl into a blanket fort for the winter and never come out (except for hot chocolate, maybe some wine).  But since I am only slightly normal and only when I pretend-play, and mostly odd when it comes to blind makeup purchases, I had spring for this!  Lucky me, I purchased it from my friend chappiette's blogsale (here) which still has some awesome Suqqu items.
I bought shade 002, which is the palest of the yellow-toned shades.  Definitely a short coming of this foundation is the very limited color range.
The shades with the "00" prefix, like the 002 I have is in the yellow family.  The "10" prefix is neutral and "20" is pink.  Larger the number, darker the shade depth so 003 would be darker than 002. 

From what I can tell 002 is fairly pale, but not very pale.  At the moment, in my palest winter skin state, I am a great match for 002.  So that you can triangulate your match, it seems to be paler than my usual Chantecaille Chamomile and around an NC15 match.  As the coverage is quite full, you'd want to try to get the most accurate color match in this foundation. 



Some thought nuggets I have on the formula and finish:
  • very highly pigmented!  The website recommends two pea-sized globs to cover your face, but for me a teeny tiny glob is enough for the whole face while still achieving full coverage.  So said this jar will last five-ever with my current rate of use.
    more than enough for my whole face
  • the brand describes a lustrous finish, but I find the finish on my skin more matte than lustrous.  While it is not a flat, life-sucking matte, it is definitely flatter than my usual preference for dewier finishes.  I've been finishing it off with a dusting of Guerlain Meterorites Perles du Dragon to get a bit of luster in my face.  On a related note, even on my slightly oily t-zone, I don't need to set this with a setting powder.
  • incredible lasting powers!  I tend to break products down on my skin naturally, but this foundation looks pretty much freshly applied all day long without any noticeable fading even along the usual areas that are prone to fading (like around and under my nose).
  • Photographs beautifully.  Seriously beautifully.  I've had a few pictures taken while wearing this and I can not believe how flawless my face looks.  I actually think it looks better in photos than in real life, although the effect in real life is also very perfected.  There is a high 30+ sunscreen SPF in there due to the Titanium Dioxide.  In natural light with no flash, it looks awesome on the face.  I've taken pictures with flash so you can judge for yourself.
The reason for this post is that I was going to purge this because I had a terrible learning curve applying this.  The first few times I wore this, I really hated it on my face.  I think my murderous feelings towards this foundation were exacerbated by 1) using too much product 2) incorrect application method (for me, anyway), 3) clogged pores and 4) very dry and flaky skin.

Here's what turned it around.  I've become a moisturizing fiend lately trying extra hard (which doesn't mean all that much considering what a lazy-blob I am) to moisturize.  This foundation is not kind to flakes.  I think the very highly pigmented nature of the foundation will cause the product to catch on the flakes and accumulate product in those areas.  I've had some clogged pores in my nose which also seems to be a magnet for excess build up of foundation, so yeah, that also looked really bad.

Here's the application method that seems to work best on me.  I've complained enough on makeupalley to get some advice, which is to apply with fingers on freshly and well-moisturized skin which is still damp.  In effect, the very langorous massage with fingers over moisturizer mixes the foundation with the moisturizer for a more easy to blend product.  What didn't work as well is a Beauty Blender and a goat foundation brush.  I might try this with a MAC 187, but I think the foundation texture is too thick to be blended well by the brush.

Some foundation comparisons so you can see relative shade and depth for the Suqqu Frame Fix Foundation N in 002 versus some others in natural light.  They are built up densely.  These swatches kill me!  Look at all the variety of depth and undertone.  It's like I matched myself to foundation shades in the dark.  OY!
 In slightly different natural light.  Not that my inner arm is a match for my face, but my undertone appears a bit more neutral than I always figured (see how yellow Chamomile is) but definitely not as pinky as the 202 and 203 in the Suqqu.  It seems also to my eye that the 002 FFCN is yellow but cooler toned compared to the Chamomile.  Maybe that's why my Chamomile + Porcelain mix is working out so well these days.
 Now some pictures of my face so you can see how the Suqqu Frame Fix Cream N works.  First up with nothing on.  I'm most red and pigmented on my chin and under my nose.
And now with a light layer of the foundation evenly applied and really worked into my skin.  I've also applied brow stuff (Suqqu Nuancing Brow Palette in Moss Green), Ellis Faas concealer under eyes.
Here I am checking for flashback.  I love glamour shots for the blog, don't you?  There is definitely some flashback.  You can see my face looking whiter compared to my neck where nothing had been applied.  But I don't think the flashback is particularly bad.
Alright, with the works.  Suqqu Eye Shadow Blend palette in Matsukasa, Suqqu Blush in EX-03 Akanemizu, Tom Ford liner in Espresso, Suqqu Creamy Glow Moist in EX-13 Beniaka, Lancome Hypnose Drama Waterproof mascara. 
It was a journey (getting paler, less flakier, applying differently) to get this foundation to work for me.  But I think it was well worth it as the Suqqu Frame Fix Cream N fills a good niche for a full-coverage foundation in my base line up.
Ah, the wonder of makeup in action
Do you keep trying with a product that first strikes you as all wrong or do you keep at it in the hopes of making something (like an expensive something) work?

Ingredients (click to enlarge):

21 comments :

  1. tho you look gorgeous in all the photos, you look particularly gorgeous in the "in action" photo! Everything works in concert so beautifully. I think my skin is a lot like yours -- dissolves foundation, turns everything taupey -- so love reading your analyses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for stopping by and for your comment, christine!! I really appreciate it. It's so weird how my skin seems to eat of product. I'm glad (sad?) to hear you have a similar experience too. please come by and comment again soon!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this review, Belly :-) I wish we could have more brands here so I can try different brands of foundations. I read awesome reviews of certain foundations, but I know I could never try them because I never buy foundations sight unseen. It's difficult to find a match even with samples. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Foundation matching is HARD! Here I am, more than 20 years into wearing making and just starting to understand what foundation colors are semi decent on me! :) So I hear ya, it's hard even WITH samples. HA!

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year, Belllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rads rads rads rads! Happy NEW YEAR!!!! :D
      xoxoxoxox

      Delete
  4. Happy new year, Belly!
    I love these pictures. You look gorgeous in the final picture, but I love the first three as well! You're so baby-faced! :D
    Maybe you should forget about mixing the Chantecaille foundations. This one looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Herrrrrooooo, Lena! Thank you so much! really enjoying this new foundation, but I am mostly a lower coverage foundation person so I hope the Chantecaille will be in my life for a long time. :D

      Delete
  5. The Suqqu really does photograph beautifully!! And it takes lots of bravery to buy foundation sight unseen (bow to the Belly). So, does the Suqqu warm up to the skin? It is sooo pink compared to the Chante, and yet this is a yellower tone of the bunch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure bravery is the right word? :) I don't think it turns particularly warm on the skin. The Suqqu yellow is not a very warm yellow it seems. I've not tried the other 002, 003 in the other foundations so I'm not sure.

      Delete
  6. Hi there! Love your blog (and racked up an impressive bill for Surratt after reading your initial posts on the line!) I use the same shade in this and agree about the learning curve. I first used it on bare skin and was shocked at how hard it was to apply evenly. Did NOT expect this from a cream foundation. But considering the cost, I was determined to figure it out! What does work for me is similar to what you have found works for you. I make sure to put it on over a light moisturizer like Embryolisse, or a primer (I like Tom Ford's). I use one of the Real Techniques brushes, typically the Expert Face Brush or Buffing Brush, and love the finish. I had a friend choose the colour for me while in Japan (scary!) and was stunned at what an exact match it is. My only gripe is that if I use it a few days in a row, I invariably break out, usually on the chin. No bueno. But yes - frustrating to figure out how to work with it but I'm glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Evelyn, despite all the slippy ingredients in there, it's not all that spreadable! Embryolisse sounds like the perfect moisturizing texture to layer the foundation on. You were brave to get a friend to select a shade for you! That is some super trust! There's a lot of shea butter & talc which I think could bug some skins. I'm glad that you found a way to use this sucker, too. Took some work and was worth it!

      Are you enjoying the Surratt? Lovely petite range and so much more accessible than Suqqu for the US folks!

      Delete
    2. No, the "unspreadability" was kind of a rude shock! I didn't know about the talc - that would explain some of it, I guess! The one down side to this foundation is that if I wear it a couple of days in a row, it breaks me out in the chin area. No bueno.

      I am LOVING the Surratt. I had a fairly major splurge (eye shadows, blush, mascara, lipstick and lip crayon, eye batons). Am loving the eye batons; so easy to use, though the liner tugs a bit more than I'd like. And really love the mascara. I have had a very hard time finding mascara that doesn't flake or smudge and this one works very well for me. Have tried Japanese mascaras I didn't like and though this seems similar, for some reason, it stays put. Ain't arguing with that! Now I just wish Surratt would come to Canada so I wouldn't have to do those bank breaking buys when I'm in the US!

      Delete
    3. It seems like talc also seems to help it stay fresh longer on the face, which is nice. I have all sorts of weird acne breaking out lately. I'm not sure if this is bc of this new foundation or the new moisturizing routine I tried recently. I hope it's not the foundation!!!

      What a splurge on the Surratt!!!! What a find especially on the mascara. I think the Japanese ones are kind of a trial and error thing, bc I've definitely had some subpar ones, too.

      I'm sending you get-thee-to-cananda wishes to SURRATT.

      Delete
    4. Thanks - sorry for the repetition in the comment above - gah! I can't even blame it on autocorrect. Today I went back to the Skin79 Beblesh Balm cream and no issues. Don't know why that gray undertone works, but it does. Thanks for the Surratt vibes - tell them at the Barneys counter! i think the cold air mass (sorry, polar vortex!) may be blocking the ones I'm sending from here.

      Delete
  7. I am so thrilled that you got the foundation to work for you! I have had a similar experience! I was just about to purge the 003 as well, when my mother commented on how nice my skin looked! I was in shock! It was my last try, and it worked! Definitely beefing up the moisturizer was a huge help; I also got the Suqqu primer which is fantastic!

    Thank you for this great review and swatches! Isn't it crazy (disturbing) to see how different all ones foundations are when you compare them side by side! It's amazing how they can all work, but makes the hunt for THE PERFECT match all that more frustrating ha ha! You look gorgeous!!

    Finally, thank you so much! You are truly the sweetest!!! Hugs!! Shoshana aka strongestrose....and chappiette on MUA:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xoxo! I think searching for a foundation shade match is some Dante's circle of hell that he didn't write about. I'm so happy that your 003 is working now. Moisturizing is soooo key to make this one work. How is the primer???

      I only own full sizes of the first 4 shades in the swatch. The 202 was a deluxe sample in the GWP I received in Japan and the 203 was a sample a friend got for me. (Such lovely friend!) I thought it would be helpful so show more than the yellows I would normally own of foundations. I did try 202 on my face many times. Looked TURRRRIBLE.

      Delete
  8. Wow!!! You look amazing! Love the shade and I think its perfect for my skin tone too. I like how it blends well with the skin. I will def gonna check on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret. I hope enjoy it, too.

      Delete
  9. I so want to try this so bad!! Wish they sold it in the states so I can sample it. The mineral oil in the ingredients scare me :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( My skin tends to tolerate mineral oil really well. So, so far so good. I wish Suqqu was in the US, too. Have you check out Selfridges online? They do ship to the US now (with HUUUUUGE shipping fee/ potential importation issues) and the VAT deduction is nice if you end up buying a bunch of things.

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...