Monday, December 30, 2013

Let's Stroll

In a moment of inebriated and senseless weakness, I loaded up my fantasy Nordstrom shopping cart with all the Guerlain.  I exaggerate a little bit, but did you all see Temptalia's post on all the new releases?  I tend to lose my marbles over all the Japanese new releases, but Guerlain consistently piques my interest every time.  Guerlain's spring, called Meteorites Blossom, has newly reformulated Pearls (*cough* ballz) plus several other perm and limited edition items.  Everything looks so pretty!  Nordstrom seems to have all of them available on line right now.

I was just going to check out my cart and deal with returns later, but it seemed slightly wasteful, since I have all the in person access to pretty much most counters within blocks of me. 

I spied the new Chanel Notes du Printemps spring collection.  Chamade, one of the new cream blushes is beautiful, but I'm trying to self-impose a cream blush ban.  The new quad, Quadrille Lumieres (which Belletristic Beauty reviewed here) didn't move me.

Then I wandered over to the Chantecaille counter to ask for another sample of Future Skin Porcelain.  Now I'm pretty sure I'm buying a jar of this color to mix into my Chamomile, but I want to really make sure I'm doing this thoughtfully, since springing for a second expensive jar should be a well-considered decision.

This is not a rant on Chantecaille in particular, but I really hate the experience of foundation color matching at the counter and asking for samples.  Jan from the Beauty Archivist describes the awkward experience of asking for samples here.  Everything about asking for samples really is cringe inducing for me.  Also, being socially awkward, I'm telling you, all manner of face-to-face encounters make me want to crawl into a hole.

I asked for a Future Skin sample and the SA was happy to help and had a little empty jar.  I asked for Porcelain and then quickly followed up to say, "It's not my color match, obviously, but Chamomile is not working for me right now and I want to mix with Porcelain to correct the tone and shade."  I could tell right away from the look on her face that I've said all the wrong things.  She responded that it's not a good idea and that I would have a hard time mixing the right proportions every time.  That I would become confused.

*scratch head*

True, I was terrible in chemistry lab, and I have no skills mixing libations, but matching two shades of a fairly modest coverage foundation doesn't strike me as particularly brain taxing.  And also, what am I supposed to do, just wear the wrong shade?  Or go to another brand and buy something else?

In the end, I think the SA was just too kind to keep on countering me, so ended up giving me a sample of Porcelain anyway.  So for that, I am very grateful.  Also, a pig-headed consumer with a strong color preference should just be left to her own devices and shades, no?

Oh yes, we were talking about Guerlain and my bloated Nordstrom cart, right?  The counter had the display out and everything looked like delicous candy.  Trying on the products on my hand though, it became clear that they were unlikely to work well for me.
 
 Here is the new quad, Les Tendres.  The formula seemed softly textured and lovely, but not the level of pigmentation I was looking for.  Also, the two pale shades, especially the mint color was too white/pastel to look great on my skin.  The two deeper shades looked kind of muddy.

 I was most interested in the new limited edition Rouge Automatique and when swatched I was suitably impressed with the intense pigmentation.  You can see Insolence and Attrape Coeur on the left side of my hand.  Beautifully bright, but again too much white in the base.

The bubble-looking blushes, the new Meteorites Blossom Blushes are on the right side, Pink on top and Cherry on the bottom.  I thought it was awfully dry feeling on my skin, so I didn't like them.

There were two glosses on display, but I thought only one was part of the release, the LE Gloss D'Enfer in Star Dust.  You can see it on the bottom of my hand.  It was beautifully iridiscent and sparkly and I was tempted to buy, but remembered that I am not a gloss person!  (I don't know what that pink gloss is next to it)
 
I'm wearing Insolence Rouge Automatique here.  Pretty, but not my most flattering color:
 
Another perk of being at the counter is to play with the new ballz in Claire, Medium and Dore.  I guess in-store lights never help, but I couldn't really tell the difference among the three shades.  I was thinking about picking up Claire (fantasy cart) but saw some visible sparkles and thought kind of similar in effect to my LE Dragon ones.  It didn't make sense for me to buy it.  I think if the overall finish was more luminizing without visible shimmer, I think I would have purchased it.

There you go.  Strolling and killing my shopping urges one swatch at a time.  Kill em kill em.

Spring releases intriguing you any?  What have you sprung for from Spring?

34 comments :

  1. If we ever went shopping together, we'd swatch everything and buy nothing all the time, lol. SA's nightmare!

    Chanel is so peppy that I really want to want to buy one of their crème blush. And Guerlain's always so pretty but I never find them to be particularly useful enough to warrant the splurge, although I want some goddamn ballz pretty badly just to feel like a certified bblogger. IDK. Let's go eat yummy something instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO! We be all: swatch all of that / Don't buy any of that! Did you see the Chamade yet? That one is gorgeous, Liz!

      I dunno about the whole ballz thing. I like them, but I think the effect is so subtle in most cases that I'm not sure its entirely worth it. Smells like nice ballz though. :D

      Hey, when you are in NY, let's not go shopping. Let's go eat something spicy and stew-y.

      Delete
  2. Positive thinking: at least you know what won't work for you so you don't waste your money! I'm still interested in the new Rouge Automatiques, but I'm not too sure about the other pieces. The two quads from this year's spring collection are much more of a hit in my book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I would have taken advantage of returns anyway, but probably best seeing it in person. It really did kill all my lemming for Guerlain. I think the new RAs would be beautiful on you. You carry the bright saturated colors so nicely.

      Delete
  3. This post made me giggle and I can totally relate to this makeup counter/SA situation. At some point, I have found out those SAs are some of the most ignorant people and the store lightings are actually confusing me to make any decision.
    I believe getting samples from (especially) higher-ends should be whole a lot easier and they should train their SAs better since it seems the only helpful thing plus we are totally paying for them. This is one of the reasons why brick and mortar stores are quickly disappearing.
    Still, you killed the lemmings successfully by in-person-swatching, which killed some of mine as well, which makes me feel like a winner here. Yay! ;D

    Happy new year, Belly! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally can't match myself in the store lighting at all! Many mishaps occur. I really have to be very disciplined about trying samples for a while. :(

      I was really happy to kill my lemming, so I'm glad it was helpful to you, too, Lena!!

      Delete
  4. I've been forcing myself to swatch and think about everything I purchase lately, because I'm afraid that I'm starting to bring home dupes of dupes. My chief reaction to all the swatches I've seen from the Guerlain collection is that they're lovely, but I feel like I've seen them before. In my house. I will make myself swatch in person, of course. Thanks for the sneak peek, though. This collection has yet to find its way to counters here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think having a stash my size (maybe you, too?) requires extra thoughtfulness because DUPE TRAPS are everywhere, especially since I am drawn to the same shades all the time.
      Guerlain looks beautiful in the counter I have to say. Just not so special on my skin.

      Delete
  5. Chamade looked a lot like Addiction Revenge Cheek Stick from the swatches I've seen so far. I do the same all the time, swatching and asking stuff without buying, but only my Suqqu girls don't mind it as they know how much money I spend there all the time! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Chamade may be more clear and darker? But definitely a killer color!

      Ooh, Nicole, I wish I had my Suqqu girls, too! pine pine pine whine whine whine.

      Delete
  6. I don't understand the confused comment either, you would think they would be happy that you would have to buy 2 shades to mix them ultimately, some SA's are so off-putting.
    That's interesting about the Guerlain palette as i was thinking about this from the online pic but am not to sure about those darker shades now having seen them in your swatch.
    I have been wondering about the reformulating balls as well but so far it seems to be that the "improvement" is not really impressing people.
    xx


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's not like the SA would think: "Hey, that woman blogs and actually knows this particular foundation range so I should just let her get what she wants." It was very off-putting because if I were in a less pushy mood, I would have just given up.
      I wonder if there are any head to head comparisons of the ballz out there yet. I don't think I've seen any. Not to mention to photograph these things is a giant pain!

      Delete
  7. Such a brilliant post. I believe the testers should be offered by the SAs, not particularly asked for. Today I was at Lush and wanted to try their Celestial face moisturiser. I said some stuff make allergy on my skin and the seller directly offered a tester, I found it very nice of her. Anyway if you would go to the counter and say this one you have a full bottle of and you like but you don't find the shade right, she should offer it without asking, I think.
    About Guerlain, oh you killed my dreams. I was so looking for the quad but seeing it swatched, now I have doubts it would work on me, Mint doesn't look mint but more white *frowns*
    I ordered it before seeing so I think I will find it out myself soon. Clear gloss with many glitters look nice though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I killed your Guerlain dreams!! I hope you like it in person though. The quad colors were just off, not too cohesive and the mint was frosty/white based so definitely not what I was hoping for. I really thought the gloss was so pretty!

      Delete
  8. Are you really trying to impose a creme blush ban? I SHOULD, because I want at least 3 Face Stockholms, but I keep telling myself I don't have too many and my Beccas (now discontinued) are OLD. And MUS makes me want FS :/

    And siiiiigh, foundation matching at counters. I honestly just buy the lightest shade online and return if it's not good, because I can't deal with counter personnel anymore. There must be some great ones, why do I never meet them? (Then again, it's hard to buy foundation by just going to a counter, because you need to have it wear on your skin for a bit. The only way to do that with a nice SA is if you already have a relationship with her and she knows you'll be back, I think.)

    I'm REALLY happy you posted about this, because I also wanted so much from Guerlain spring, especially the quad! Now I can just plan my THREE order instead. (Ichibankao is back on Monday, I think!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MUS FS post is giving me such anxiety! I am so drawn to all the shades, but in general cream products don't last as well in comparison to some of my favorite powder ones. :( I may need to make an excuse to go to the shop and look at them in person though. You know, for science.

      Yes, splurge on the THREE! :))

      Delete
  9. LOL! Most of the time, I'd be very interested in certain products and when I'm at the counter to swatch, I feel underwhelmed most of the time and just leave empty handed. Sometimes, I'd walk past a store, think hey! I wanted that... but I wouldn't even go in to swatch. Weird eh? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lily, for me the wanting part is the best part of the makeup acquisition experience. So it makes TOTAL sense to me to just leave empty handed. But sometimes a swatch just kills the lemming because, blah!

      Delete
  10. I seem to go through phases of being offered -- offered!! -- samples left and right and at other times exuding some kind of Dickensian urchin vibe and being sneered at for daring to cross a counter's threshold. Dunno what it is *sniffs self dubiously*
    Oh bellyssima, why you gotta kill all my spring lemms by proxy? :/ Both those lipsticks look close to Provocative/Reflex, non? I'm on a bright pink ban next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sniffs enthusiastically*

      I so sorry I kill all of 'em. *squish* you knows, the promo images looked so incredible. In person, the display is also SO pretty (those ballz), just the quad was ehhh. The SA kept on offering me Reflex and telling me this was the new LE and I was like NO, ITS 'NOTHER OTHER PINK!

      Delete
  11. oh i'm so glad i saw your review before I did some major damage myself! Guerlain has a very special spot in my heart... but it seems everything is sheer this Spring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they were going for a very light effect for Spring? I dunno! It's worth looking at in person, I think. But I'm glad I was able to see in person and not buying things.

      Delete
  12. As I told you before, my wallet really loves you since I'm saving a lot of money thanks to your swatches. I guess if I was lighter many of those shades would suit me, but again, wallet is so happy that I have medium skin. I will still get one Rouge Automatique and of course, the gloss. I thought I wasn't a gloss person until I realized it's all about texture, and my HG texture was by Estee Lauder from about 10 years ago. Since then I couldn't find something similar, until I realized the closest I can get is Guerlain and sometimes Dior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Anne! *smoochies* It's not like I'm particularly dark either. Actually, I'm pretty pale these days. Even still the colors weren't all that extraordinary on me.
      Seriously, the new gloss is calling me name. I must plug in my ears real good.

      Delete
  13. Yea, walk on, Belly, walk on! I don't know what it is with SA and a sample. If I were one of them, wouldn't it help the customer to get some sample before buying and then returning (and thus reducing my commission?) Oh well, but I agree. Guerlain just catches me everytime, too, eventhough I'm not a meteorites wearer. The lipsticks are always a draw for me. Have you tried the clear/sparkly n/p? I think that's what I'd like to see in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had on white np that day so didn't put it on my nails. The sparkles. *____*
      Those are pretty. I've never tried Guerlain np before. Are they any good?

      Delete
    2. That's what I'm wondering.. never tried Guerlain n/p either, but Sabrina (beautylookbook) post kills my lemming instantly: I was hoping that this one may work as top coat but it doesn't look like it will.

      Delete
    3. I saw Sabrina's post today, too. Yeah, kind of killed it for me!!

      Delete
  14. I don't know why the SAs are like that, too. If we like a sample, we'll come back for the real deal, no? Some patience and foresight might be in order. Also, I'm often looked at like I'm crazy for asking for some new item that they've never heard of (and which obviously, then, can't exist). Sometimes it's frustrating to see things on the blogs before they're actually shown to the SAs in stores! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get nutty when I ask about a new release or item and I get the blank stare. :(

      Delete
  15. Loved this post - can totally relate to the awkwardness at counters! I just had an experience at a Sephora in France where the sales lady pretty much blocked me from purchasing saying the Armani corrector was "too dark" and that I simply had to buy a concealer from Estee Lauder (that I have already) instead.. lol I just left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) thank you so much, Ellie, for stopping by to comment! I suppose some SAs feel particularly responsible for preventing an "incorrect" purchase.

      Delete
  16. UGH sa's and their sample nazi tendencies!!! I can understand that there are many who probably go overboard asking for samples, but for one I hardly ever actually ask for a sample....and two...yes if we are adamant about a certain color/colors shouldn't we be left to our own devices??? I mean, sa's should know better than anyone that store lighting is usually pretty crappy & wouldn't they rather someone be happy about the sample and come back to purchase rather than be annoyed w/ the bad color match and never repurchase the foundation. Rant over...for now...lolol

    Luckily I've not been super excited about any of the spring collections. Not sure if it's because I'm still in winter color mode, I'm trying to be more selective about purchases or what?? But So far the only spring items I've purchased are 2 items from Chanel and the Guerlain brow kit. I did just buy some Japonesque stuff, but I don't think those are spring specific since it's a relatively new line. Was looking forward to Burberry, of course, but meh it's not that exciting to me except for the rose quad which I don't think will show up on me very well. Then I really wanted to see TF but aside from maybe 1 lip and 1 polish color, I'm not terribly interested. Am I growing up??? LOLOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter what store/counter I go, I always get matched too dark. Why is that? It must be the lighting, right? -___-
      Why not let the customer just be happy & try whatever. A happy customer with a generous sample is much more likely to come and make a purchase AND a long term relationship.

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...