Saturday, November 30, 2013

What Color Am I? Chantecaille Future Skin Foundation Redux

This isn't a detailed post on the merits of Chantecaille's Future Skin Foundation.  I already posted that some time ago (here).  I liked it when it was warmer, but now that's it's gotten cold, I really truly love it.  It was one of my recent makeup repurchases.  I repurchased the color Chamomile, which is the palest of the yellow toned shades.  But I found that it oxidized a small bit after a few hours of wear and also noticed my skin getting a bit paler from lack of sun exposure.  Future Skin doesn't come in a yellow shade paler than Chamomile, but I was able to score a few samples at the counter in the other undertones to see if I can do some color concocting.

Do you experience the same dilemma when you are trying to find the right foundation for you?  The formula might be perfect, but the shade range is too limited to match your skin tone.  Maybe the undertones don't perfectly match your skin.  As I have a fair bit of pigmented areas on my chin and get red from outside exposure, I tend to get matched at the counter to shades too dark and too pink for my skin.  I often have to argue to be able to sample yellower and paler shades.

I also have a darker and more pinker face than I do my neck and chest.  Matching to one or the other areas looks a bit off as well.  Today, my Compare and Contrast exercise is some foundation matching and playing around with depth and undertone to see if small tweaks would yield a more pleasing foundation match.

This exciting picture below will gain many excited readers to this post!  *rubs hands in glee*  *cough*

I'm going to be monkeying around with Chantecaille Future Skin in Vanilla which is a neutral undertone light/medium shade.  Chamomile is my regular shade of foundation.  I've included MAC Pro Longwear in NC20 as a shade reference.
Vanilla is slightly pinker especially when compared with Chamomile or MAC, but in reality it is really not all that pink.  Chamomile looks especially yellow, but not particularly a very warm yellow.  Pro Longwear is slightly darker than Chamomile, but also a more peach.  When I tried on the MAC on my face, it read distinctly too orange for my face.

Here's my face bare and free of makeup except some brows defined with Suqqu brow pen in Moss Green.  I have some pink in my face compared to the more pale and yellow neck and chest.
First up is the slightly pinky and neutral Vanilla.
It does pretty well on my face, but it seems to me that the difference between my face and the exposed part of my neck and chest seem pretty stark.  Because it matches the depth on my face so well, my face also seems a touch darker as well compared to the other parts.

So up next is the yellow Chamomile freshly applied.  Once settled, it oxidizes a touch darker than this.  I like that it matches my neck very nicely.  But it's still quite yellow and I'm also trying to correct for the oxidation.
I think how you match your foundation is a bit of an art and a practice in personal preference.  You can adjust with bronzer, match to face and wear a turtleneck, or adjust for a color something between face and neck/chest.

I was able to score a very generous sample pot of Porcelain which is the palest of the shades offered by Chantecaille in Future skin and a neutral undertone shade.  You can see Porcelain below.  I've also mixed into Chamomile to adjust for a slightly paler (to adjust for oxidation) and to slightly neutralize the yellow.
Here I am wearing the concocted Chamcelain:
I like that it's a touch paler and slightly less yellow than Chamomile.  It's less a contrast against my pinker face but still yellow enough to harmonize with the depth and tones on my neck and chest.  The big problem with Chamcelain is that this is in essence doubling the purchase of a very expensive foundation.  I'm not convinced I'm going to buy that jar of Porcelain to slightly modify my color.  I think I'm going to keep using up my sample of Porcelain and hope summer comes around soon so that I can pick up some color and just use Chamomile happily.

Anyway, a montage of my face.  For comparison purposes:
Anyway, doing this post is bringing up a crisis of identity as a person identifying herself as yellow.  What am I anyway?  What am I exactly?  Also crap!  Future Skin can be worn very sheerly which is what I tend to do which allows a lot of the natural skin tone to come through so that a very exact match is not as critical as wearing other more full coverage foundations.

Am I yellow?  What are you?  How do you match for a foundation when you consider all of your body parts?

25 comments :

  1. How is that your skin without any makeup?!

    And this: I often have to argue to be able to sample yellower and paler shades. I hate when this happens :( I typically shop online and return because I have such difficulties at counters. ("We have a shade match for you!" 5 shades too dark. "Hold on while I get my bronzer, don't worry, there's no orange in it!" Yeah.)

    Anyway, I think the Vanilla is a bit too pink. I like your mixture, but I'm wincing at the idea of buying two tubs of FS. Though if that's your one and only, it would definitely be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno how I lucked out in the general skin lottery! Thanks my mom & dad.

      I used to think that it must really be the terrible indoor lighting that makes it near impossible to match a skin to foundation. I like a few SAs that asked how I preferred my matched and specifically asked if I liked to match to the darker parts or lighter parts or something in between. I felt that took into account my preferences. Actually at the Chante counter, the counter manager wouldn't believe that I needed a jar of Chamomile. :( I'm like, I swear, Chamomile really is a nice match for me!

      I really don't think buying a mixer shade in FS is feasible. Even that seems completely over the top for me. Ow.

      Delete
  2. i think i am yellow haha. my forehead/area around my mouth are darker than my cheeks, and my face is lighter than my neck. I tend to match to the darker, or somewhere in between haha. I guess i don't want the area around my nose/mouth to look like bad skin compared to the rest of my face? I don't know really. i do know that i need to try this foundation. Next time i am near a counter i will be sure to ask for a sample :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce! We were speaking about this the other day. Definitely try it out. If you like very light textured foundations, this is such a nice formula. And if you are not oily, it lasts very well.

      Delete
  3. I can totally relate to this: I am light yellow in the neck, slightly lighter in the chest but a shade darker and pinker on my face. I've never found a shade yellow enough without it going "peach" or "orange" on me. That's not to mention my hands and arms are darker but more "green"!!! UGH! Anyway, you don't need foundation. Seriously, your skin is amazing without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peach, orange, and oddly ashy looking colors! D: Blah! What have been decent matches so far, Elle?

      Delete
  4. I feel your matching pain. Of any of them, I think the combination of Chamomile and Porcelain is definitely the best, although Vanilla on its own isn't bad either. My skin is actually pretty close to completely neutral, which gives me a certain amount of flexibility, but it also means that oxidation can make shades go wrong. I probably lean pink, but a lot of pinks make me look orange. Nars Mont Blanc in Sheer Glow works pretty well and is pinker, but in their new compact formula is too dark and very orange, whereas Gobi, the yellow-toned shade, is a much better match. Mac NW15 shades are pink enough to make me look flushed, so I usually opt for NC15, which cancels the redness and looks nice and even. I've used the Urban Decay Naked foundation and the yellower tones- 1.0 and 2.0 depending on the time of year- are excellent on me.

    And don't even get me started on having people try to match me to a foundation... With a couple of notable exceptions, having a professional select a colour for me has been a sort of disaster.

    OK, rant over. Have to say that your skin looks lovely and smooth even without foundation, you lucky so-and-so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Kate! You have a nice bit of flexibility to go from NC to NW shades. If I go anywhere near an NW, I get that horrible ashy look to my face. Have you tried the Nars TMs? I like how it's sheer enough to be very forgiving in matches, I was able to try a variety of the shades and have it still look pretty good.
      I agree that going and matching yourself with samples is the best. You just have to have a general idea of the line and what shades are cool/neutral/warm and you can go to town. The worse feeling is coming home with a purchase and realizing the match was terribly off. :(

      Delete
  5. I"ve read nothing but raves for this product - must try this SOON!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni, this is a lovely foundation. Even though my t zone is oily in the summer, I still prefer this to other foundations. Now that it's so cool around here, this foundation has definitely taken HG status.

      Delete
  6. Maybe it's because I'm Azn, but I like the brightening effects of Chamomile on you the best. ;D Belleh, have you tried the GA Lasting Silk foundation? I matched my yellow neck to the 4.5, but the 4.75 looks like it's pinker and may just be a dupe for your Chamcelain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yellow does a nice job canceling out all the red tones right? I'm very happy with this color! I can not for the life of me find a GA color that looks right on me. :( It all looks too pink or too orange. Also, I just scored a bottle of the new Suqqu FFCN in 002 to give a go too! I seem to be maxed out in my foundation. Also saving my summer foundation funds for the Addiction Tinted Skin Protector.

      Delete
  7. Ha - I love this post. I have shoved my wrists under my OH and son demanding "are my veins green or blue, is my skin tone neutral?" This is not so mad as it seems as my OH teaches Art and my son is currently in his final year of a degree in Fine Art. I find as I age and my skin becomes a myriad of pinks and browns and dirty tea staining it is harder to work out what is my under tone which tends to be one shade down from the palest. What my son did say was that when he painted my portrait (and you think gurning to the camera is bad enough) he used a lot of pink to get the correct shade. I think I am neutral but that helps you not a jot - as to your dilemma, which shade makes you look in the mirror and think I look like me but healthier, prettier, less tired? For what it is worth I like Chamomile on you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan I'm so happy to hear everyone is as confused as I am! I actually do think that my skin color seems to be shifting and getting odd sections of pigmentation as I age! Good times. I think CHamomile has the most brightening effect, so maybe I will just stick with that since I am happy with it. :)

      Delete
  8. I don't think Vanilla is perfect on you - though definitely wearable without anyone noticing - but in comparison, Chamomile or the mixture both look better. I don't think I'm super picky about foundation matches though, because I think a lot of different shades match me just fine. It's all about the blending, amirite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanilla is my least color on my although I'm really surprised that it actually IS wearable. The formula is generally very forgiving, but maybe I'm slightly less warm than I originally consider myself. Blending is key! TOTALLY! Unless the match is like 3 shades to dark/light or something.

      Delete
  9. The combined mixture is perfect on you! The Vanilla is a degree darker thank your bare skin and Chamomille is a tad more yellow than ideal. I would say your bare face is neutral colored? It never occurred to my pea sized brain to fuse two colors to create a better match! I am very glad to have read your brilliant post and will definitely try the mixing technique at home.

    I am usually pink in the face, yellow on the neck, and pink everywhere else...aka Piglet with a neck tan. So I definitely share your frustration of having differently colored body parts! It's even more frustrating when I go foundation shopping and an all knowing SA rubs the wrong color on me, then gives me a sassy eyebrow raise to stop me from contradicting him. A helpful tip I learned from a NYFW makeup artist is to match your foundation color to the facial area near the end of your jawline. So far I am having success with this tip. I blend my Avene pink sunscreen with Armani Maestro No.3 to achieve a passable match :D

    -Josie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Josie! It does seem like I am a touch more neutral than what I was originally thinking, but still well within the yellow/warm side of the spectrum. Mixing shades is great, but the thought of the cash outlay to do this on an ongoing basis would be very expensive. I no want to do that!

      Lol! An adorable Piglet with a scarf it is. :) Great tip on the jawline match as it helps marry any differences in tone between neck and face. Heh, see, you're blending too. Other trick of course is to mix the heck out of any odd looking foundation with a moisturizer to sheer out the coverage so nothing looks too stark.

      Delete
  10. Your skin is great without it! I went to a counter to get matched and no match that works without mixing. Chamomile is too dark and alabaster was a nicer match imo when the lovely SA tried it on my face. I got sample jars to try on my own. I actually hope that I don't love it lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) you're going to love it! I hope! and if you can match to just alabaster, then no need to mix, which is fantastic.

      Delete
  11. I love Future Skin so much, I have two pots to mix the right shade. I use about 2/3rds - 3/4trs Porcelain and then the rest is Camomile. Alabaster was too dark for me. I need the extra little bit of yellow from the Camomile.

    I also mix the right shade in YSL Teint Eclat, I think I use B10 and BD20. 50% each.

    ByTerry Cover Expert in Cream Beige is fine on it's own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! My favorite mix: Porcelain & Chamomile. I really love this foundation, too! :) Chamomile is nice and yellow.

      Delete
    2. The Future Skin is my absolute favourite, it seems to look better the longer it is on my face, more and more natural. 2nd is the ByTerry. The YSL comes third. Actually BD10 might be a better match for me in YSL. I don't think I will repurchase the YSL, unless I can find a way of applying it so it doesn't cake. I'm not great at application.

      Delete
  12. Alabaster (the next neutral shade up from Porcelain) did not work for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gail,
      I have very very yellow tones in my skin so I was working to lighten the Chamomile more so than darken up Porcelain. Beautiful foundation though. I wear this very often mixed together.

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...