Saturday, November 9, 2013

Chikuhodo Brush Preview!

How about some pretty brushes?
SQUEEEEEEEEE!
I have my share of beautiful and exceptionally functional brushes.  Of course, I figured, why not gild that lily some more by adding some Chikuhodo brushes?

Chikuhodo is another high-end brush line.  In addition to manufacturing and selling their own eponymous brushes, they also make brush for various other brands (here).  Among them are RMK, Lunasol and Suqqu.  That's enough for a brush lover like me to covet the brand.  Of course, they are hand crafted in Kumano, Japan.  I believe you can purchase these in person at shops in Japan and also elsewhere in Asia.  I can only order online.  I've ordered my brushes on Kohlindo (here).  Kohlindo is based in Sweden and ships all over the world.  Malin manages the shop and also answers questions!

There are several series offered by Chikuhodo varying in price point.  Originally, I was most drawn to the Z series, which reminded me of the sleek Suqqu brushes.  But based on some conversations on makeupalley, it appears Z's have a much more density.  Not that that's not awesome, but between the airy squirrelly goodness of my Suqqu brushes and the more dense goatiness of my Tom Ford, I was probably set in terms of face brushes.

Here's what I received.  Actually what I RAN to the post office to pick up today:
Z-3 which is a shader brush.  I thought this will come in handy for my contour product.  I'm actually only down to Burberry Earthy but still use this regularly.
Artist Series Red in 6-1, 8-1, 10-1, 8-8 (this one was a kind gift from Kohlindo).
I've not used the brushes yet, obviously.  But soon, my fluffies, SOOON!  Meanwhile, I am struck by how teeny tiny these are.  I always knew they were going to be small, but seeing them in person is a whole other level of SQUEEE.  Look at the BIC pen for size reference.
The red Artist Series nestle in my hand like tiny children's brushes.
By the way, I placed this order prior to my no buy.  This was probably one of a series of concurrent purchases that made me go on the no buy two months ago.  Malin was kind enough to place an order with Japan to get the Artist Series brushes for me that were out of stock at the time I ordered.

I plan on posting at some point, after getting some good use out of them and gathering my thoughts.  It takes a while to gather and tender and ephemeral threads of my thoughts into a paragraph.  Takes LOTS of efforts!

Let's see, I went to Sephora yesterday.  One of the mega ones in Manhattan to pick up a few little things for a friend and of course, I had to go play with things.  I spent an inordinate amount of time dangerously playing with the Guerlain Rouge G's.  I tell you, I love that formula!  After sanitizing the CRAP out of the bullet, I tried on Girly.  I posted about Gracy recently, which is a similarly saturated and bright pink but always harbored disturbingly covetous thoughts about Girly.
I left the store and then immediately placed Girly into my online cart.  I was really close to buying it, but then ultimately took it out.  On the one hand, super proud I exercised a small modicum of self control.  On the other hand, that is one HOT pink!  Though richly saturated and opaque, I think Girly is  a clearer truer color than Gracy and is therefore more flattering.  Girly will forever remain on my disgustingly sexually inappropriate lemming list for beautiful pinks.

Hope you are having a great weekend so far!  Right now, I am roasting a chicken in the oven using the late great Marcella Hazan's recipe for Chicken with Lemons (here).  Can't wait until it is out of the oven.  Right now, it's scenting the whole house with mouthwatering smells.

18 comments :

  1. I can't wait to hear what you think of the brushes. I really, really--and I mean really--need to start investing in some good quality brushes and feel almost overwhelmed by all of the choices. And by the way--you look so absolutely beautiful. But, you always do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny! That lipstick would make a pig look divine.

      What brushes are you currently using? Brushes are such a treat. I would have to say that my recent best buy though is not a fancy Japanese brush, but the Real Techinique Expert Face Brush! That sucker is awesome!

      Delete
    2. No, I don't think it's the lipstick. I think it's you. I know that shade would not look right on me, lol. I just have a various assortment of brushes--MAC, LMdB, Nars, Wayne Goss--nothing nearly as exciting a you do.

      Delete
    3. :) *blushes*

      Those all sound nice! I have awesome workhorses from Nars and MAC.

      Delete
  2. Bawk bawk! Can I come over for the chicken and your magic skin potions? The brushes seem adorably fluffy in their tininess (not that it's a word, but you know what I mean). I shall await your review! I actually went into the Times Square Sephora yesterday for the first time, did not resist the siren call of a couple eyeliners, left slightly dazzled and then annoyed that the cashier didn't credit my points, the bastard ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D These mega Sephoras are a den of sin, eh? You can come over any time for roast chicken! My magic dry skin cure is to slather on vaseline. I know, NOT very sexy or magical.
      I keep on looking a the dinky brushes today. They are SO CUTE!!

      Delete
  3. Wow, yes, those brushes are tiny!! Look forward to the reviews. And kudos on Girly.. I bet you $1 that you'll have something similar in your drawer right now, waiting to be discovered? Yes, maybe not exactly like Girly, but it may look like Girly on.. And let us know how the chicken turns out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realize that in addition to Gracy, my Chantecaille Lip Chic in Rose Delice might be close! But in the balmy LC formula and slightly darker I think.

      Chicken was INCREDIBLE! The only thing was, the breast meat was really oddly mushy in texture. I used a good organic chicken and not sure why the texture was so weird. It smelled like chicken heaven in the house. And warmed the whole house up on a chilly day.

      Delete
  4. WHEEEEE so pretty! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the brushes. Girly looks lovely (I too covet this shade) but well done for sticking at your no-buy. I reckon the long-term positive feeling from not buying these things outweighs the initial 'woo! new! pretty! thing!' post-purchase rush :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosy, where have you been all my life! <33 The brushes are so squeeeee! I don't know how I can use them in the morning when all I'm going to do is stare, cuddle and make high pitched noises!
      I think you're right! I think the offset was much more in the favor of feeling good having bypassed a most tempting Girly!

      Delete
  5. *drools on the brushes* so pretty! Can't wait for the reviews!
    I am so proud of you that you could resist Girly! i tried it recently and I could resist too, but I don't know for how long ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *wipes* yay! Aren't they so adorable!
      Girly… dat pink! SIGH!

      Delete
  6. FLUFFIES HAVE LANDED! <3 <3 <3 Hope you love them as much as I do :D Maybe find some wackier ways of using them, ye quirky genius.

    (Can I pop my head above the parapet and admit I don't *love* Girly on you? It's better than Gracy, but seems to sit on top of your face in a rather flat way. I recently had the same exp with Provocative, which on paper would be MADE FOR ME garish pink-red. I'd try it on a few more times before deciding....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)) Of course you know I stalked Drivel about Frivol to determine my needs.

      My few moments in MUA almost made me pull the trigger, so I really appreciate your moment of clarity. Checks off all the right points, i wonder why Provocative wouldn't work perfectly for you… Makeup is a SCIENCE I tell you and a mystery. I found Chante LC in Rose Delice rolling around my Muji. I'm going to need to give it a better try.

      Delete
  7. Those -HODO brushes are to drool over. I'm not yet ready to cross into luxury makeup brushes territory but knowing about them is good research for the future. Looking forward to your reviews on this, Belly. :) Excited for some Haku vs Chiko vs Suqqu comparisons, if there are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely do some in-depth comparisons!

      Delete
  8. Ooooh, mama Belly!!!!! You make me want things. Lots of things. LOLOL!! Can't wait for your reviews. Girly is sooooo darn gorgeous on you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aint Girly hot! I tried on another dupey color at home, but nay, nothing is Girly!

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...