Friday, October 4, 2013

Sausage Friday

So what's been happening with me this week?

I took the day off yesterday because the theft of my wallet from the other day is a gift that still keeps on giving.  I took the time to go to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) to request a replacement for my drivers license.  I was in and out in thirty minutes and the place was efficient and the staff was so nice.

Having taken the day off, Mr. Belly & I traveled out to Woodside, Queens.  I'm sure you all know, but New York City is comprised of 5 boroughs of which Manhattan is just one of the five.  Queens is one of the most exceptionally diverse areas in the whole world and therefore is home to some of the best restaurants anywhere.  We went to a Thai restaurant called SriPraPhai which is well known in New York for offering some excellent Thai fare.  Maybe it is still somehow altered for the local tastes though?  Having eaten Thai food in Thailand, my very provincial tastes seems to exhibit a slight preference for this New York restaurant.  If you are traveling to NYC, take the quick ride from Midtown Manhattan on the 7 train and experience spicy, savory, sour nirvana.  No pictures, because I was too busy stuffing my face.  I encourage everyone to travel to the outerboroughs for some incredible foods usually at prices well below what you'd normally find in Manhattan.

We then hit the road again to Ridgewood, Queens.  This is a working class neighborhood off the L subway line.  The L train is hipster line stopping at the more hipsterish Williamsburg, but further off the L train is also the neighborhood of Ridgewood.  A century ago, this used to be a very German-immigrant neighborhood (also Eastern European) but the demographic has changed to be more hispanic.  Hipsters (and artists) are slowing migrating into this neighborhood (NYT article here) for the reasonable housing prices.  Probably one of the very best things about this neighborhood is that it is chock full of old-school charms.  Top on my list is the Ridgewood Pork Store.

Mr. Belly and I asked for an assortment of sausages that will keep a while and ended up with a HUGE quanity of delights including Farmers sausages, Hunters something or another in beef and pork.  Here is the store interior strung up with all sorts of drying yummy things.  The whole place smells like pork and smoke and garlic.  I don't know about you, but that's my kind of sexy.
I have no idea what all these things are, but we were overwhelmed.  We were happy to put ourselves into the hands of the friendly counter person who labeled and selected products for us to take home.
More yums.
The very friendly person at the counter gave us two GIANT sausages to try.  One was a hazelnut and red wine sausage.  They are strung up in my kitchen basking in my adoring gaze.  Meanwhile, it's just fun to walk by and giggle.  Snausages.

I've been sticking to my no buy, not experiencing any overwhelming desire to break it.  I did finally completely finish up two foundations and allowed under my terms to get a new one, but I think I will work on finishing my Cle de Peau creamy foundation before buying a replacement.

Delightfully, absolutely relieved this is Friday.  What's new with you this week?

27 comments :

  1. Oooh, I need to visit that place when I go back to NYC! Sounds amazing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. snausaages or the Thai place? Both are highly highly recommended. YUM!

      Delete
  2. YUM. I love stuff like this. We go to Gene's here in Chicago for all our sausage needs. LOL
    If they have Polish sausages, get some kabanos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we got some kabanos in our giant two bags. :) They did have things in the shop I am dying to try next, but first I must go through about 10 pounds of sausages first. :) Chicago has great eats, too.

      Delete
  3. My grandparents live in an Eastern European and very Slovenian part of Cleveland OH. I love getting fresh sausage from the butcher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Love all this fresh stuff, too! And smoked pork chops and giant slabs of bacon.... drool.

      Delete
  4. Mmmmmm, sausages!

    Sorry to hear that your wallet got stolen :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing the wallet was a big bummer. :( But now I have sausages to console me. :)

      Delete
  5. I heartily commend replacing teh makeups with sausages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much more satisfying in some aspects. ;)

      Delete
  6. If they have kabanosy, I'll for sure take a ride on the L train just to get them. This recommendation is going into my new file of things to do and see in NYC. Polish pork lovers unite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum for delicious pork sausages! Have you settled in to NY yet? Worth a trek for some really special products.

      Delete
  7. From the 3-4 visits to NYC, I'm ashamed to admit that I've only been to Manhattan. There were so much to see there, too! We'll venture out to Queens next time, and we'll be sure to visit these neighborhood stores. Sounds like a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good chance you've driven through it if you landed in LaGuardia, although you don't see much! I can't imagine most people visiting would go to Queens (or Staten Island or the Bronx) when on a little trip. The food places are just incredible. I definitely am biased towards the amazing borough of Queens. (Seems Brooklyn is its own special destination)

      Delete
  8. You and your fancy sausages ;) I just had plain old boring ones for dinner.
    That's utter crap about your wallet, my friend at work got her phone lifted out of her handbag recently, seems no where is safe these days :(
    I've very glad its Friday as well, though I am sure the weekend will fly by as normal!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't stop nibbling on the sausages! D: wait, that sounds dirty.

      Bummer for your friend! I don't know what's worse: phone or wallet stolen. Have a lovely weekend Clare!

      Delete
  9. Mmmm, makes me hungry! We have sausage made out of some of the meat when we get our pigs and steers butchered. Nothing like fresh sausage.

    BTW I wanted to ask you if you have any of THREE's eyeshadow duos? I want to place an order but I only want to buy one or two items this time because I too am trying to stop buying so much and so far so good!

    But I can't decide between THREE's 02 eyeshadow duo or 04 eyeshadow quad. Pics/swatches of either are hard to find. I saw that Kate from drivolaboutfrivol has a few of the duos but not 02. Although from the raves I've been reading in regards to the duos and quads, it sounds like I can't go wrong with the quality, it's just the colors I'm unsure about. Dang I hate making decisions, LOL.

    Have a great weekend and enjoy the sausage. We had rainstorms last weekend and thankfully it'll be sunny this weekend. Not much longer til the rain starts in earnest here and stays through oh say May, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Dawn! Talk about fresh meat and sausage! That must be incredible. Sadly, I'm used to meet in styrofoam containers but I'm sure eating something freshly butchered must be quite an experience. (No vegetarian, me)

      I do have a duo, but only 04 which I think Kate already posted on. If I can weigh in, that bright blue shimmer cream is out of this world. But my lids are much oilier than Kate who doesn't need a primer (like me). Even with primer, I get some slight creasing after a long day, not much but noticeable. I actually have my eye on 01, but ehhh, I seem to have put myself on a no buy.

      Have a wonderful autumn weekend! It's bizarrely warm here but I think it will be sunny. You get a real rainy season!!!

      Delete
    2. Fresh meat is really good. I can easily taste the difference in ours compared to store bought and they're about as organic as one can get. And they're treated very humanely and spend their life grazing on an open field rather than in a pen.

      Onto the fun stuff, the 04 THREE duo looks stunning and I think I've decided to get 02 first and then 04 if I love the color and quality. 02 looks to be burgundy/brown with a peach color on the other side. Not sure but I will tell you once I get it! :-)

      Hope you had a great weekend.

      Delete
    3. 02 looks beautiful! let me know how you like the duos.

      Delete
  10. Doesn't the no-buy get easier after you've managed to successfully resist a few items and (shock horror!) even strike a few off your want list? It's so satisfying that you can do it that while you're on it, it gets harder to buy after a while (not that difficult you understand, but more so than before) and you start thinking more clearly "I already have a million of that colour in formulas I like, pass." Um, this sounds like a rehab!

    I did a no-buy in the spring and the main reason was because I had so many things I hadn't yet worn despite owning them for months (over a year in a few cases) and even though I loved them. Replace the makeup lemmings with the sausages for a while! If only it was as easy to replace it with exercise!

    Eli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Rouge Bunny Rouge posted some pictures of a new brush and that made me gnaw on my finger nails for a few minutes, but the pain seems to subside! :) I seem to be doing A-OK now! Pretty much every thing I own gets used, although some things with less frequency than I like. For me, it's just the quantity of the mass made me uncomfortable (even more than the financial part of it).
      Ah, to replace makeup with sausage seems easy. Replacing it with exercise gets no traction from me!

      Delete
  11. mmm i love salami and proscuitto and stuff. I think i lived in woodside once when i was little. In any event, queens has so many varieties of food and it is cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also, finishing TWO FOUNDATIONS! That is so epic. i bow down to you

      Delete
    2. Woodside has KILLER food and really good filipino food, too. :)

      Foundations are easy. Lipsticks, eye shadows are impossible!

      Delete
  12. aww I am so sorry to hear about you wallet:(

    I usually don't eat pork but I love kabanosy;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have kabanosy plus 10 pounds of other things. YUMmmmm!

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...