Sunday, October 20, 2013

Guerlain Rouge G de Guerlain in Gracy

>>this product was provided without charge<<
Some colors are immediately perfect regardless of it's brightness or depth.  I am happy to wear a dark saturated lip color like Suqqu Ichijiku and it feels nothing outrageous despite it's aggressively deep tones.  Other colors make me feel like my lips are some odd separate entity floating in front of my face. I felt that way when I wore Givenchy Le Rouge in Rose Taffetas (here).  Bright and pink, like Rose Taffetas is usually a color I find most difficult to wear.  I think it is often the clashing versus my skin tone...?  However, when I was given an opportunity to try a Guerlain Rouge G from Izzy's Beauty Shoppe, I chose the uncomfortably bright pink Gracy.

In the very bright, but indirect natural light, my lips look positively glowing.
Of full-pigmented lipsticks, the unwieldy Rouge G's are one of my favorite formulas.  Rouge Gs feel very light on the lips, and feels moisturizing without any thick unctuousness.  The subtle shine on the color is very flattering on the lips and it is kind to my lips.

If I were to play with an uncomfortably bright opaque pink, a Rouge G is the perfect candidate for play and experimentation.  It's a stunningly gorgeous pink.  In the warm natural light, you can see the color warmed up and having a warm rosiness.  This is a fabulously opaque swatch with just one swipe of the bullet on my arm.  I don't see any shimmer, but the finish is a softly lustrous shine.  Fabulous looking color, dontcha think?
As a further expounding on this experimentation on pinks, I trudged out my handy old standby Rouge G, in Bianca, which is from the sheer brilliant range of the Rouge Gs (previously posted on here).  This is warm pinky coral but with a lot of sheerness, which allows the cool tones from my lips to peep through.
Stumpy Bianca, she looks so shopworn compared to her younger sibling Gracy.  Poor thing.
Relative to the warm coral tones of Bianca, Gracy looks quite cool.  You can see how sheer Bianca is, which has been built up with several circular swipes.  Gracy is again a one-swipe swatch.
Shall we compare and contrast?  The top three pictures, I'm wearing Gracy and on the bottom row, I'm wearing the sheer Bianca.  I'm otherwise wearing the same makeup in both sets of pictures, Shu Uemura hard 9 brow pencil in Seal Brown, Burberry Pale Barley as a simple wash on the lids, Tom Ford Espresso eye defining pencil, plus Fasio mascara.  No blush.
Some rudimentary observations:

  • the high contrast color of Gracy seems to make my eyes and brows stand out strongly.  Even my eye lashes (the few that survived the guillotine) seem to stand starker.
  • even though the lighting is the same, my skin seems yellower when wearing Gracy.  I look an oddly soft lit kind of pallid wearing Bianca.  I look pallid, but more even toned.
I can't quite say one color is more flattering on me or not.  I'm not even sure I have a point to make actually!  I'm not sure what makes a color like Gracy just teetering dangerously into the unwearability.  It's something with the contrast against my skin and a pastelly opacity that feels challenging to me.  But Gracy is stunning none the less.  

Thank you to the generous Izzy's for making this stunning color something I can play with!

By the way, I've added a new tag called Compare Contrast.  I'm intrigued to explore (from stuff existing in my makeup collection) similar colors on my face that work/don't work and try to figure out what's making it so.  I think the next up in this series will be Suqqu Creamy Glow in Ichijiku (which I adore) versus Karakurenai which looks painted on in an unfortunate manner.  I may not have a lot of new purchases to show you, but I have feelings and I have explorations to conduct.  Off we go!
________________________________________________________________________
disclosure:  **This product was provided free of charge by PR/Marketing for consideration.  I strive to give my full and honest opinion regardless of how I've obtained a product.  If you want some more information on my policy, please check out my general disclosure statement.  All links are for your convenience only.

18 comments :

  1. Hmm, I like it, though I prefer Bianca! I noticed I don't like a lot of pinks on me; I feel like we have similar skin tones, though mine is deeper. A light Guerlain pink that I enjoy is Gemma. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are we olive, is that why? Am I olive or just yellow? Ahh! I loved so many Guerlain pinks from afar and many don't look great. Rouge Auto Chamade: gorgeous pink, but not on me! I will take a peep at Gemma. Such a great formula these RAs and Rouge G.

      Delete
  2. I think Gracy is absolutely WOW! Must own! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlie! I bet with your pale cool coloring, Gracy would look incredible on you.

      Delete
  3. Stellar post, Belly, and I'm looking forward to more in the series!

    I can't believe this but you are making me prefer the softer, lower contrast Bianca because it really looks better on you imo D: I think this head to head comparison really deconstructs that cliché about lipstick 'lighting up one's face' because while Gracy does 'bring out' (er, 'pop'?) your features it's not automatically the most flattering taken as a complete look in the full face pics!

    But I wonder how much the sheerness (which I know you prefer) and extra warmth of Bianca are the deciding factors rather than the clear/muted thing per se?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! I for sure thought you'd say the Gracy was better! I like how Gracy looks on my lips (but not necessarily on my face). In whole, I don't think my complexion is looking good. Is it the coolness? I dunno!!!

      Delete
  4. That's a gorgeous colour on you, I do really like the Rouge G formula but wish the packaging was a bit less cumbersome
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I was carrying two Rouge G's in my purse. Heavy bag! I wish these weren't so heavy and bulky.

      Delete
  5. I can't wait for more Compare Contrast blogs! I'm about to embark on a lipstick spree so I will be paying close attention this series. :) Gracy is a beautiful colour but Bianca is certainly more flattering--it has a soft focus effect on your visage that makes you look positively radiant. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *scratches head* I can't tell what is softening and pretty-fying versus washing out. Bianca doesn't wash out?

      Delete
  6. I adore Gracy. I have it and like you said, it treads that line between wearable/appropriate bright and unwearable/too bright. I totally get what you mean by certain colours making one's lips look like they're just floating in front of your face. I tend to get this with most peachy/orange colours and the coolest, pale, palest pinks.

    As much as I love Gracy though and it doesn't look bad on you, you look better in the Bianca. I think it's to do with your more muted colouring, so colours which may look unassuming in the tube really do perk you up. Of course you know your face better and I may be wrong.

    I used to look at muted lipsticks on counters and mentally shake my head, like what's the point of such muted colours, why wear the makeup at all? Over time I've learned that just because they awful on me, doesn't mean they don't sing on someone else and on the right person they sure do! (Oh look, singing makeup!) I suppose my long and rambly point is (is there one?), not to judge the colours by the tube, but I suppose a veteran such as yourself know that already!

    Eli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracy is such a gloriously bright and pretty color. I really struggle with pinks in general so I'm not 100% sure what it is. It looks just okay on me. You're lucky to be able to carry off such a color. I can wear all the peachy colors as long as they are not too pastel.
      I'm no veteran! Otherwise, I wouldn't have a drawer full of reject lipsticks and stuff I've purged over time! Things in the tube always draw me in until I put it on my lips and go Bllllllech!

      Delete
  7. Wow, Gracy is practically neon compared to Bianca. I also don't know what to think about it.. maybe both has a place in certain look you are trying to achieve. Speaking of texture, is Rouge G really that good, aka comparable to Suqqu? I'm about to divorce half of my lipstick collections due to the scent.. I'm really looking for suitable alternatives and so far I could only think of GA lipsticks (which are unscented) before jumping into the Japanese wagon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rouge G's are scented!!! Give them a good sniff first in person before you buy them! Rouge G's are comparable in quality to Suqqu but different. Suqqu Creamy Glow (the d/c ones) have a very slippy texture and I think even more ultra pigmented than Rouge Gs. The new Bright Ups from Suqqu (I only have two) remind me a bit more of the Rouge G's and also not scented which is nice, but the color range is very limited (boo! hiss!).

      Delete
  8. Gracy is such a cheerful colour! Its hard to pick between the two because I think both would be great if paired with the right outfit.
    Like you, I'm fair with olive-y tones and I've found that warmer pinks tend to make my skin tone look more yellow too. Have you tried Grenade (#65)? Its quite similar in brightness but is more of a rose red-pink and doesn't make me look yellow :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wen! Grenade is verrrry pretty! I love those rosy reds. That also reminds me a bit of Madame Flirte from Fall, which reminds me of this plus the a jelly finish.

      Delete
  9. GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love this on you so much! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracy is one hot color! :) Everyone needs a crazy bright to play with.

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...