Monday, October 14, 2013

Addiction Lip Crayon in Red Lantern

Buying Addiction makeup items is like buying candy.  Majority of my purchases to date have been such great fun.  My last happy purchase was the permanent palette Departure.  Departing from the eyes (nyuk, nyuk, nyuk) I am featuring the Lip Crayon.
Addiction carries several lip products in the line, and so far I only have experience with the one Lip Crayon and my one lipstick Last Scene.  For their range of lip products they provide a matrix that provides some insight on pigmentation and shine.  I don't read Japanese so not sure what the axis represent.  If someone can help translate the picture below, that would be helpful!
Wonderful Claire from Land of Lorp explains thusly:
"The Y-axis represents the finish, matte towards the positive (top), and shiny towards the negative (bottom). The X-axis represents pigmentation, with high pigmentation/opaque towards the negative (left -- Jap literal translation "Cover" I assume since it covers=is opaque), and sheer pigmentation towards the positive (right)."

The Lip Crayons come in a kind of stout shiny black tube.  Turning the bottom will extract and retract the product.  There's a fair bit in there.

Fully extended
It is an intensely pigmented product and has a matte finish.
Red Lantern is a bright cool-toned red color of some insane intensity.  It also has a silicone feel which while not slippy, feels smooth to apply without any drag or tugging.  One swipe builds color right away and can be layered on further.  Here are direct and indirect natural light swatches.
You can see the edges of the circle looking very cooly red, despite the yellow of my skin.  That testifies to it's opacity and coolness.
It's really a beautiful color and very striking on.  Here is Red Lantern compared against my other pretty reds (direct and then indirect natural light).  Seems like Suqqu Karakurenai (now discontinued, as all Creamy Glows are) seems a tiny bit close in coolness and intensity, but Red Lantern is matte while Karakurenai has that lovely shine.
 Last Scene is slightly translucent (incidentally very wearable) and warmer, while Raw Silence appears the truest red out of the bunch on my skin.  Ichijuku is very warm, and darker.
Difference in finish can be seen here, angled to catch the light.
Hopefully, I've shown how just beautifully bright Red Lantern is.  Unfortunately, this matte finish and intensity of pigmentation really seems to pull a number and drying out my lips.
It feels dry on the lips.  While initially it feels dry but not drying, over time, over the hours and hours of its long-lasting wear, my lips start to feel uncomfortably parched.  I've been overcompensating by wearing a healthy dose of lip balm underneath (Nuxe Reve de Miel is a nice matte finish balm).  Wearing a lot of balm underneath will also decrease its wear time but makes it a bit more bearable to wear.

I wearing Red Lantern below.  It is very brightening on the face!  On eyes, Shiseido Ghost and Chanel Taupe Gris.  Guerlain Madame Rougit blush on cheeks.  And Clé de Peau concealer to spot conceal old chicken pox scars on my neck and chest.
Should I keep it for the beautiful color or kill it for the drying formula?  Do you hold onto products even if the formula is less than perfect?

17 comments :

  1. Pretty! I don't own any addiction make up but I'm really intrigued by it! The name reminds me of a good chinese movie I watched called 'Raise the Red Lantern'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a great movie. Gong Li was a goddess in that film!

      Delete
    2. yes it was so beautifully atmospheric! I must remember to watch more foreign language films - they really are so refreshing!

      Delete
  2. wowza, it is such a gorgeous matte red. (where's Larie? ;p)
    i would keep it. it looks so pretty on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larie needs to see this red for sure!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I agree, the color looks really good against your skin! If I were you, I may try to work with it, maybe put a nice, moisturizing gloss on top, or balm beneath, or work it as a stain, etc. etc. There are so many salvaging way to keep this nice color. Btw, it reminds me a lot of NARS satin/matte lip pencils.. coincidence?

    The Y-axis represents the finish, matte towards the positive (top), and shiny towards the negative (bottom). The X-axis represents pigmentation, with high pigmentation/opaque towards the negative (left -- Jap literal translation "Cover" I assume since it covers=is opaque), and sheer pigmentation towards the positive (right). So, for e.g. your lip crayon is in the second quadrant, meaning it is matte and opaque. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wearing my Velvet Matte Dolce Vita pencil from Nars today. I think Nars is less drying than this particular color. Maybe because Red Lantern is so pigmented that it is particularly drying? I dunno. I think Nars & Addiction have a lot of shared inspirations. :D

      Thank you for the X and Y axis explanations, Claire!!! So helpful! <33

      Delete
  4. That red is so pretty.
    Will it put you off getting other colours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not buying makeup anymore. Wah! So I won't buy an alternative to Red Lantern or be picking of any other colors.

      Delete
  5. If you don't have any other color like it in your stash, keep it and work with it. You look gorgeous in that saturated kind of red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very fond of the color. I will try to work with it!

      Delete
  6. I'd keep it as well because it really does look stunning on you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It IS a very pretty color. One thing I have learned (specifically from Kate the driveler) is that life is too short to wear drying lipsticks. There are SO many out there. Plus my mom used to always tell me whenever buying anything that if I don't love everything about it, then I won't wear/use it very much & to save my money for when I find something that I DO love everything about. I don't always follow that, but when I don't, I regret it & when I do, I'm much happier about my purchases. (especially good advice for when you're on a low-buy) =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not so ruthless as Kate! Man, she be a cold-hearted Driveller! :D
      I agree on what you say, but I just.can't.seem.to.let.this.out.of.my.hands!

      Delete
  8. Whoa whoa, Belly mama!!! That is so gorgeous on you and you are right...it does brighten up the face!!! Sorry to hear about it being drying though. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excuse me, your profile says you live in NY, I am wondering where in NY/online you bought this beautiful crayon?
    Thnaks,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Winter! Unfortunately Addiction is only available in person in Japan. however you can order on line via internet retailers like Ichibankao. The charge a rather high markup over the regular retail price.

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...