Friday, September 13, 2013

More Tom Ford Orchid Haze and How I Formulate a Post

Bit of a different post today.

Many of you were so awesome to suggest a few different ways to keep the blog active and interesting without actually being all about a brand new purchase.  You gave such fabulous ideas!

In honor of you, I thought it would be interesting to show a post about a (new) product, but which is not a real product post, but more about how I start to formulate my ideas before I post. 

You may notice that it is very rare for me to photograph a brand new and untouched item.  This is for a few reasons.  Number one would be I get really excited to try a new item and I really don't have the self control to wait.  Second and probably more meaningful is that I want to make sure I really give a product a good go before I feel comfortable enough to say I like it or I didn't like it.  I find it hard to write a good post  before using a product many times and often my initial opinions change before I become more firm with my thoughts.

As I use it (especially eye shadow palettes in particular), I'm thinking about a couple of things -
  • eye shadow feel and texture.  I mentioned that I use my finger to swatch and that's usually because I like the tactile sensation of feeling product on my fingertips to really understand how it feels.  In this case, super smooth and creamy.  Feels dreamy.
  • anything notable about tools used (i.e., only works well with a stiff haired brush, only works well with a blowtorch)
  • Do all the colors work or is there a dud and do the colors go well together? 

Photo taking, editing, labelling-
And then waiting for a free moment during the weekend and hoping for a bright sunny day.  And then run outside and take dozens of pictures and rejecting all the rejects for a post.  Good fun.  And then labeling swatch pictures when I'm comparing with other things and then realizing: crap, I missed a really important shade to compare it to and then getting lazy so that I don't retake pictures so I can relabel even more pictures.

For Orchid Haze so far, I'm loving the smooth and rich pigmentation and the lack of the glitter shade that is in other Tom Ford quads.  Feeling some small worries about potential similarities to other smoky mauvey quads like Guerlain Les Fumes.  I start to feel regret about getting rid of Enchanted not because I wanted to really keep it (because Suqqu Himesango won that battle), but because that would have been a good comparison post to show.  Feeling sad I can't compare it to Guerlain Les Bois de Rose either because that one was bye bye, too.

So here's me playing around with the quad for a second time this week trying to get some distinctly different looks out of the palette.  Yesterday's look was kind of soft and smoky but still neutral in vibe.  Today, I try out something more dramatic winging it out focused on the dark shade and emphasizing my crease.  I used the mauve satin shade as the base, and used the darker shimmer shade to layer lightly but focused on the center of the lid.  Plus a tiny bit of the pale shimmer near brow bone.  (a nude blush and sheer pale lipstick to balance out the oomphy eyes)



There are some great comprehensive posts out there right now! 
  • Color Me Loud's post here
  • Chic Science's post here
Happy Friday, everyone!!!!  Oh god (Pan), what a long week.


35 comments :

  1. It looks AMAZING on you.

    (I am determined not to go for it, even after seeing this amazingness; if I spend this kind of money, I want a THREE palette. I'm weird, I know :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not weird, just very disciplined, AMAZING Adele! <3
      Also our skin tones are so different, so I think you are making a wise choice.

      Delete
  2. you look gorgeous! grrr now I want it too... and I was about to skip it:-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skip it! I've been waiting to purchase this for a while and had a chance to play with it several times in person so I was pretty sure I would like it. If you had trepidations to begin with, I'm sure you'll like find something you are going to LOVE in the next releases! :) right?

      Delete
    2. I decided to skip it:) yay for saving some money:) I wish we had here more high end counters to play with new releases

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to read about how you formulate posts- it sounds like you are really thoughtful and strategic :)
    Also, I honestly cannot decide whether to pull the trigger on this palette! What to do, what to do?!
    You look gorgeous- what is the lip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am full of many thoughts, Julia and none which are strategic! I'm sure I've edited my process to look like I'm even partly coherent, but mostly it sounds like this:
      ?? unhg? WAH?! Pretty? BLAGGLE BLAGGLE! SPEND SPEND SPEND!

      Delete
  4. LOL another great post!! "Number one would be I get really excited to try a new item and I really don't have the self control to wait." nods. "Second and probably more meaningful is that I want to make sure I really give a product a good go before I feel comfortable enough to say I like it or I didn't like it." nods nods nods.

    I think presenting a palette in a different look (different placement, different pairings with lips/cheeks) are more helpful than just a run through of a palette. If you do that with ALL your palettes, I bet you have lots of blog posts to come even if you don't buy anything for a year. And, with flawless makeup like that, you don't need your hair done at all!!

    P.S. Glad to hear another good pigmentation from TF palette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Shiseido Eye Bar just came today. I'm sure I can get like a year's worth of posts just from that one palette alone! :)
      Too bad my attention span is so short!

      Delete
  5. I LOVE that look on you! Absolutely love! It makes me glad that I ordered this palette :)

    Interesting how you formulate a post- I go through much of the same process, including the part about using it immediately and regretting getting rid of good comparison products!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MARTHA!!! I love hearing you and I have much the same process! I'm like a little kid with a bowl of candy. I really can not help myself.
      It's going to look stunning on you. I can not WAIT to see the pretty looks you do with it.

      Delete
  6. Oh Belly,
    Now I can safely say that Orchid Haze is your quad, looks so wonderful on you. I am now only hoping it will look a little better on me after my dark face recovers. I put lots of sun screen but it didnt help, I turn so easily 2 shades darker :-O (Thanks so much for shoot out but on a side note my link goes to another beautiful picture of you, which I am not complaining about ;-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are both types to tan easily despite sun protection! :) It also takes me so long to go back to my paler tone. You must look beautifully relaxed after your holiday and I hope you had a wonderful time.
      Orchid Haze is lovely. I'm really glad to have splurged on this one. Surprisingly the two Asia ones really didn't move me at all in person even though when it was just in Asia I was dying for the Rose one. Oh well, such is the silly nature of me.
      Thanks for pointing out the link issue! I fixed it this morning.

      Delete
  7. i think this soft smokey look is very beautiful - it looks dramatic yet soft due to the haziness. orchid haze, indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lena! It seems to be the right balance between dusky and smoky without being all muddy on my lids. It's quite a lovely palette.

      Delete
  8. GAGAGAGORGEOUS, Belly! This quad looks like it was made just for you!!!!!!! Orchid Haze is definitely on the top of my lust list-- it took every bit of self-restraint not to bring it home after swatching it. It is the smoothest quad! My methodology on reviewing makeup is that I takes piles up pictures and make sure that there are some good ones in the bunch, then I toss them in a folder and edit them later. Once I feel that I have enough pictures of the pristine pictures- then I dig in and start using them. As I get closer to being able to review them I take swatch pictures. Sometimes the unedited pictures sit for quite a while though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HELEN! Seriously Tom Ford was thinking: "there is this random Belly in the US and she desires a neutral and versatile palette. It would seem over the top to call it Seductive Belly, so I shall name it Orchid Haze but she will know I dedicate it to her."

      Delete
  9. I love this post! And I am considering taking non-pristine product photos too, once I start blogging again. Which will be soon, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EMI! I've been missing you on your blog so much! Yes to non-perfect looking product pics. Us makeup lovers need to play with it right away. Also, it allows me to work on a post much sooner, since I don't need to wait until weekend to start taking a product picture.
      Are you back from the wedding? <33

      Delete
    2. Yep! I am back, and I will be posting photos (at some point)!

      Delete
    3. Congrats, Emi!! And I'm so excited to see your photos!!

      Delete
  10. This really looks stunning on you, I'm still debating what I need to order from TF next month but am thinking this is a must :)
    Good to read the process you go through for your blog posts, I think its really good to give a product a good test run before reviewing as views can often change over a bit of time, I always try to wear a product everyday prior to reviewing so I have a good base to give a review, not always so good when its a product I don't like though, I'll put it on again and think yeah this is still rubbish.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yep a rubbish product you know right away usually. You use it again and go, yep, junk. :)

      Delete
  11. now I want Orchid Haze too.... /_\

    can't wait to see your post about the shiseido eye bars! i've recently been obsessed with their e/s palettes and singles, such an accessible brand at where I live but i've always overlooked it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni, you should definitely give the brand a look at the counter. They are so pricey, but definitely within the line, there are some beautiful things. Brushes, the Espresso eyeliner and THIS! My favorite and the only quad I kept of the original release is Cognac Sable.

      Delete
  12. i was trying to skip this too! Have i told you how pretty this is on you? Anyway, i swatch with fingers too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there some secret way to swatch with sponge applicators? It never seems to work for me. :)

      Delete
  13. I pretty much wrote off this quad when I saw swatches of that pinky-mauve shade cause on fair Asian skin its like two punches in the eyes *pow pow*!!
    But seriously, it is as everyone has said, totally made for you! It gives such a soft, romantic look - classy smokey :) Now I really want to go test it out but its scary cause you know what happens when you sit in that makeup chair... you go home with like everything they put on your face :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This seems quite wearable on Asian skin. It is much easier to wear that a straight up pink color. :)
      It's perm so go play and ponder. No need to rush!

      Delete
  14. Can you do a post comparing quads (THREE, Suqqu. TF and Chanel) and which ones are worth it, most complex, most versatile, stuck on a desert Island with, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I can certainly try a comparison post but it would be difficult to say which ones are truly worth it (worth being so personal). Thank you for the awesome idea!

      Delete
  15. Hi! I loved the look on you! Do you happen to remember the lipstick you used here? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you! I think this is Rouge Bunny Rouge's sheer lipstick in Dissolved in Fluttering Sighs.

      Swatches here for your reference:
      http://wondegondigo.blogspot.com/2013/07/rouge-bunny-rouge-succulence-of-dew.html

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...