Monday, September 16, 2013

How My No Buy Is Going

Seems hunger to consume is more deeply ingrained than I anticipated.  Since declaring a no buy (for ever and ever) at the end of last week I did a couple of things.

I've been reading Haruki Murakami's 1Q84 which I borrowed from the Library.  I'll be so sad when I finish this!

I started to unsubscribe from various beauty shopping websites.  No more code, no more sales, no more samples, no more gifts with purchases.

I renounce all beauty shopping!  *cough* *wilts*

Seems I suppress one thing and up pops something else.  Over the weekend my husband and I went to a Korean restaurant to enjoy some killer mul naengmyun (cold noodles in broth).  This is definitely the best naengmyun I've had since coming back from Seoul.  The broth was really rich and beefy (and icy!) and the noodles had great chew.

After dinner, we were walking around and there were various Korean cosmetics shops.  "Want to go in?" asked my husband after spying me peering into the windows.

"No!" I said.  "I stopped buying makeup!"

He laughed and wondered why boxes were still arriving at home.

"Well, I ordered those a while ago."

Oh Diary, I really did want to go in.  You know, just to look.  Only looking, no touching, I promise!  I restrained myself and then we went home.  I think I only felt un-deprived because our meal was so delicious and I felt super full in the Belly.  Most importantly, I bought no more makeup.

To reward my good behavior, I may have bought a handbag.

On my blog roll is a link to a blog maintained by my friend L.P. for her shop Quotidienne* and I saw her post (here) where she photographed how she photographs new product for her shop.  Aside from the cute doggy (!!!!!), I was sucked into the beauty of the bag she featured.  This is the Ellen Truijen bag called the Mommy Dearest*.  Roomy, soft, unstructured and golden.  I'm going to reward my four days of hanging tough by buying something else.
Source: Quotidienne*
I'm going to have to hope that this no buy does not contribute to an explosion of beautiful handbags, shoes, clothes, sexy Belly granny underwear.  Quel dommage!

I just don't do balanced very well, do I?

On the makeup front, in those numerous boxes have been steadily streaming in through my front door and I've already posted on Shiseido's LE Eye Color Bar.  Also are my Japanese goods from the recently new releases.

Busily and happily playing so I can post all these things in more detail.  Below: Addiction Ready to Wear quad in Departure, Addiction Cheek Polish in Suspicious.  I try out a cool plummy look by adding Rouge Bunny Rouge's Sheer Lipstick in Murmurings.  Swatches of those products in the big picture.
Anyway, that's how my no buy has been going.  The next few ... UGH!  The eternity is going to be difficult.

*all unaffiliated links and only for your convenience.  I have no financial interest in any businesses linked on this blog.

21 comments :

  1. Oh, Belly! I do the same thing! As soon as I declare a no buy on one thing, my consumption moves to another area!
    Seriously, offer yourself some loving kindness (forgiveness, grace...)
    On another note, I have Departure coming, too! And still curious about the Cheek Polish- Suspicious looks gorg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like Departure! You can't tell in my picture, but the colors layered and topped with the periwinkle shimmer makes a crazy complex look!

      :) I am quite easy on myself. Too easy me thinks. Time to squinch the belt tight and get a bit tougher.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you!! The body and mind are willing! The credit card is weak.

      Delete
  3. Same thing here, quit one thing, reward myself with another.
    It's a mighty vicious circle!
    Departure looks good. Much better than I was anticipating from the marketing shots. What do you think? I'm not on a no buy - yet ;)Soon, soon though so I need to buy as much as possible before the gates close!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In person the Departure looks much better than the ad images. The pigmentation and textures are really good (reminds me of the Sugar Rusk quad texture wise). I think it is possible to vary the depth of pigmentaion on lids using a firmer brush (I used squirrel here).

      *wham wham* break the circle. Buy a handbag?

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! A girl after my own heart! Absolutely must reward oneself from the deprivation of not buying cosmetics with nothing less than an amazing handbag!! After all, it's not easy! ;p
    The Addiction looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard work, right? ;) Seems a spartan life full of monastic deprivation is not really in the cards for me.

      Delete
  5. I thought Mr H wanted you to spend on clothes and accessories :P
    You look beautiful in those shots :)

    Let us know if the departure palette is similar to any other addiction shades (as is or mixed).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Husband tell me things, I don't always listen. ;) (to his great chagrin)

      hmm, my addiction singles are pretty limited, so they are unique to me, Linda! :) And now, I can not buy more singles to be able to compare either!
      GASP!

      Delete
  6. Many pattings of pretty plummy belly! And MOAR pics of noms please! I've yet to find a decent bowl in London :( The noodles tend to be okay, but that's it -- I usually go for bibim guksu instead. SO COLD AND HUNGRIES NOW at 3 am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How IS Korean food in London, Kate? Am curious. One British coworker who worked with me in Seoul told me he was absolutely insulted that he had to pay for banchan at a UK Korean restaurant and got all upset. "It's just not the proper way!" he protested to his companions. :) He must have looked a bit off kilter, no?
      What the heck are you looking at naengmyun pictures at 3AM? That's a terrible thing to do. That would be as bad as looking through Ichibankao at that time with an itchy credit card.

      Delete
  7. That noodle sure looks tasty! Too bad there's no good Korean resto around here, or at least I couldn't find one. And maybe if I do find one, I won't know because I'm such a sucker to anything tasty and delicious.. Yea, MOAR pictures of yummies and those Japanese hauls. You can do it, Belleh!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My standards for good Korean food seems to have gone unreasonably high since my return from Asia. I am struggling to get them to more appropriate standards. This is such a great noodle dish and such a perfect companion to Korean grilled meat. :)
      I CAN DO IT! I CAN POST MOAR PITCHERS!

      Delete
    2. This is the curse of a non-Asian trying to be Asian, the curse of my previous life, I tell you.. One time a friend of mine (who is not even emotely related to Thai) said that her "strategy" of trying out Thai food restaurant is to compare the Phad Thai. If she likes the Phad Thai at a certain resto, then the rest is good. I just try to compare the banchan at Korean restos, if I like the banchan, the rest must be good, right? I can't use Kimchi for comparison since I think some resto may just buy the kimchi from somewhere else (i.e. not made in house). Oh well, that's the best I can do, short of physically visiting Korea.

      Delete
    3. Banchan comparison strategy is a good one and recommended! The freshness and the mind boggling variety are signs of a good restaurant. It's a point of pride by these restaurants to show these off. If you get a plate of kimchi, and a plate of seasoned sprouts, then you know you're in for a meh experience. The only exception would be a Korean-Chinese restaurant (where you get black bean sauce noodles -jjajangmyun). They rarely offer more than kimchi and a plate of sliced pickled daikon radish. :)

      Delete
  8. Come to the Bay Area and eat Korean food with me please? Can't wait to read reviews of your new toys! <3

    I went to both Walgreens and Nordstrom today and did not buy anything. Somebody give me a trophy! :P I'm planning to use up a couple of items if not put serious dips into the ones I already have, so I'm thinking of sticking to one shadow palette, one lipstick per week. I have half an inch of a Rouge Allure that I will finish so help me gawd even if I have to eat the damn thing. >:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food fest with Shryh any time!!! :)
      You deserve a BIG trophy! As big as my new large purse! I lovvvvve going to the drugstore and browsing for new things. SIGH. SIGHHHHH!
      Don't eat the lipstick. Lead, you now. Death and such.

      Delete
  9. Boy, am I relieved after seeing your swatch of Suspicious! Now all the more I can't wait to get mine. In the meantime, can you share how your apply it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nonno, Suspicious is a great choice and not freaky looking at all on the skin!! shake up the bottle, wipe off the brush on one side (like you would np), three dabs on the skin. Dab to start distributing the color and then light blending with fingers. Although I think you can easily use a blending brush as well, but it works really nicely with fingers.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tip! I'm slowly venturing into non-powder blushes but still a noob at applying them. I think Suspicious is the most interesting shade of the whole lot there. I'd even contemplated getting the cheek stick, just to be different. Seeing your swatch, Suspicious the cheek polish reminds me of Nars Sin and THREE #12 Wanderlust... 2 of my all time fave blushes

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...