Sunday, September 8, 2013

Eye Primers

I can't NOT use eye shadow primers on my eye lids.  In the same way that my t-zone is oil productive, my lids are similarly oil prolific, plus the crease and slight hoods make it  a challenge for any eye liner or eye shadow to stay put.  Only exception I'm seeing to this challenge is the By Terry Ombre Blackstars (here).

My eye shadow primer of choice is the Nars Pro Prime Smudge Proof Eye Shadow base (here) and this is definitely my most favored and pretty much a part of my daily makeup routine.  But rest assured, I am never content with just one, so here are the rest that I own.  Why have one when you can have five?
I recently ordered the Wet n Wild Fergie eye shadow primer because hey, cheeeeeap and also heard it is a great primer.  Along are the Edward Bess Illuminating base in Suede, one of the matte white base shadows from a Suqqu quad (from Keshizumi), the Nars and the Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy.  I guess the PE is really not a primer, it functions as a sticky base for loose shadows and also intensifies shimmer.

This week I was trying out a few days of the Wet n Wild primer.  Apart from the fabulous price, it has a great tube with the pinhole sized opening that allows me to control how much product to dispense.  It's a pale, slightly pink product that is easy to spread.  I've been on a simple wash kick for my eyes (lazy days), so been extra loving Burberry Pale Barley eye shadow.  The eye shadow applied and blended easily over the Fergie base, but I was getting the distinct impressions that it muted down the spectacular complex shimmer of Pale Barley.  Can this be so?  So today, armed with Pale Barley and also Rouge Bunny Rouge's Whispering Ibis, a deep shimmery forest green, I tested out the primers.
In terms of how long lasting each product are, my still ever favorite is Nars for overall performance.  But more so than that aspect of performance, I wanted to take a close look at color and finish alteration over each base.

Everything is layered in sequence over 1) Suqqu white base 2) Nars 3) Edward Bess 4) WnW Fergie 5) Fyrinnae PE 6) over bare skin.

I also used two goat haired brushes from Tom Ford to apply the shades to mimic more of a real eye performance.  (fyi, when I swatch for the blog, it is always over bare skin using my finger tip to apply - unless otherwise noted).
To my eyes, the different changes are more apparent in Pale Barley than in the ultra pigmented Whispering Ibis.  Some standout observations:

  • Holy shiny, Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy!  It intensifies the effects of shimmer/glitter like no other.
  • Suqqu white matte base mutes all the suckers down.
  • I like the very sheeny and natural look on my bare skin.  It's a shame my eyelids can not hold on to color without instant fading and creasing.

Generally across Nars, Edward Bess and WnW Fergie, the effects on the color and finish seem pretty uniform.  If anything, Fergie seems to have an edge is bringing about the extra gleam.

The differences were a bit more dramatic when Pale Barley was used.  Fergie did mute down the very delicate shimmery finish of Pale Barley!  I was not having hallucinations after all.  I wonder if the fact that the Nars dries transparently versus the WnW's slight tint is making the ultimate difference?
Edward Bess is in the color Suede which has a deeper tint than my eye lids or inner arm and definitely deepens the light color of Pale Barley somewhat.  It also is shimmer on it's own so seems to just compliment the overall shimmeriness of Pale Barley.

Have you tried any of these eye shadow base products and wonder if you've experience similar things?

20 comments :

  1. Totally foreign lands to me but fascinating! On my screen it seems like Fergie messes least with the textures of the products compared to your bare skin swatch? Whereas Nars/TF make things look grainier and PE makes things foily. And Suqqu just makes things disappear. So weird, that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I can't imagine what it's like having perfectly dry lids either! I'm so surprised with how blahhh Suqqu made things.
      >.> Hmm... all these Suqqu quads.

      Delete
  2. I have hooded eyes too and most things crease on me. I've only ever tried Too Face Shadow Insurance and loved the texture and how well I could blend shadows over it. Unfortunately, I my eyelids didn't react well to it. I returned my tube, suspecting I have an allergy to Bismuth Oxychloride. A year later, I don't know if B.O. was the culprit. I so want to try TFSI again. (It was perfect!).

    I have yet to crack open my Jesse's Girl eyeshadow primer (cruelty-free and BO-free).

    Ok. The primary (ha ha!! Pun NOT intended) reason for commenting -- How would your rank your primers for ease of blending eyeshadow overtop? Most (all?) primer reviews I've read have discussed creasing and/or eyeshadow vibrancy, but neglected the whole eyeshadow blending factor. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I think the problem with these primers is that if you use more than just a teeny tiny sparing amount, the blendability is negatively impacted. I just tried a little test over three real primers (Nars, EB and WnW) and used two shades of RBR to blend. They all performed very well. The only thing I noticed was that WnW, if you use too much dries to a super rubbery and immobile layer. So if you tried to blend over it, it would be very hard to do. My best guess is that if you used any one of these very sparingly and allow to dry, you can get excellent blend-ability. Lasting powers and creasing prevention I bet will be more of an individual user thing. That said, I think the WnW one is pretty good, but overall in my personal experience the Nars performs even better.

      Delete
  3. I love Nars most, too, and use it almost exclusively - except for MAC and Dior eyeshadows, where for some reason I feel that UDPP holds them better. I don't know, my eyelids are weird.

    And I looooove PE for exactly the reason illustrated by your picture! But it's an extra step, because I need to layer it over a primer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PE is pretty amazing! But yes, for me to use I need a primer, then the PE and then eye shadow. It's an extra step and I am lazy!

      Delete
  4. :'( SOB--Pale Barley how I need thee. Where are you--aren't you coming back out??? Lucky lucky Belly girl. :(

    I usually just use EB eyeshadow base--in Cashmere. I might have to try a few of these other other ones. Totally helpful review hun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, poor Jenny! PB is coming back... soon-ish. The Burberry counter has been so out of stock in so many things. They really didn't do so well with their transition. I hope you score PB soon!!! <33

      Delete
  5. I like the nars one but I try not to use it too often because can be too drying :( so sometimes I use face primer.

    I'm keen to give the addiction primer a go next time I get something from Japan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need the drying, but I can see how it may irritate some people. :(

      I wonder how the Addiction primer performs and if it would have any similarities with Nars! Let us all know on your blog!!

      Delete
  6. This is such a great post idea! I was expecting NARS to perform best because I've just heard so many raves but WOW Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy... I NEED to try it, asap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the PE is pretty amazing. Don't forget to layer over another primer if you plan on using (if you normally use primers though)!

      Delete
  7. Wanna try the Tom Ford one with me? :P *tempts*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I poked at one at the counter, but remain largely unmoved! :DD Also, as you can see, I have so many primers to go through. NEVER going to finish all of them especially with an extra Nars back up in the drawer..!!

      Delete
  8. This is one great eye-primer review that reminds me of those scientific-looking reviews on the Japanese beauty magazines! I rarely use any primer, if at all, I do use NARS pro prime, or a bit of LRP Cicaplast, so I really have been taking eye primer for granted. I didn't know that it actually can "eat up" color like Suqqu, or intensifies it like the fame Pixi Epoxy. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a weird muddling effect on my skin, but woah, that Suqqu really surprised me. I originally hypothesized that the white base layer would clarify the color applied over it, but NAY!
      I was just reading through (or studying the pictures) of a Japanese magazine feature on an EPIC black eyeliner post. LOL! Those studies are soooo detailed!

      Delete
  9. interesting observation! I only have NARS smudgeproof primer and UD PP :) Fyrinnae looks best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nars 5-ever! If you like the intensely shimmer finish, Fyrinnae is pretty awesome!

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...