Saturday, August 17, 2013

Tom Ford Ombre Eye Color Trio Palette in In the Pink

Sometimes, love is hard work.  In real life and in makeup life.  I was totally enamored when I went to look at the Tom Ford Fall and new products that hit the Bergdorf Goodman counter and in particular, I loved the beautiful In the Pink eye shadow trio.  However, what looked glorious on a swipe on my arm at the counter and peered with starry eyes on my arm was not exactly what appeared when carefully applied on my eyelids.

This is work (and we'll get back to these momentarily):
If you love Tom Ford packaging, it's the same beautiful gleaming brown case with bright gold trim.
This is the beauty that called my name at the counter.  "OH BELLY, COME SPEND YOUR HARD-EARNED MONIES!"
The trio format is new to Tom Ford this season.  This is a play on tones and textures.  There is a soft, very pale pink matte shade, a shimmering warm pink with some peach tones, and a "celestial shade" which is the Tom Ford term for a glitter top coat.  The base color is transparent, but the pale pink shimmer glitter is bright and delicate.

The textures are a big improvement, in my opinion, to the original quad releases and similar in feel to the LE Enchanted.  They are smooth and the pigmentation is great.  Looks nice on my arm, eh?
Tragically (and I mean makeup tragically, not real-life tragically), what is so bright and delicate on my arm pretty much faded onto my lid into nothingness.  The depth of my eyelids I'm guessing is too similar to the depth of these shades and it looked dangerously close on my eyes as if I'm wearing not all that much.  My guess is that if you are super fair, or very much darker than me, the contrast to your skin tone and depth would make these colors appear more strongly.  On me, eh...

Despite this sadness, I really really like these colors and wanted to make this work.  I've been using a couple of different methods to make it work.  Couple of tricks used was

  • heftier than usual dose of Nars Pro Prime eye shadow base
  • a light layer of Shiseido Shimmering Eye Color in Caviar to help the Tom Ford pop
  • a creamy eye shadow base, the Edward Bess Illuminating Eyeshadow Base which has both a slight shimmery finish and a color deeper than my skin tone
  • a base of a taupe eyeliner first applied on my lids to provide a bit of grab to the eye shadows as well as provide a deeper colored base.
Ok, so here's the bases naked on my arm, prior to applying the eye shadows.  (Nars is invisible, y'all)

Now for the swatchapalooza.

Nars didn't do much to intensify the swatches.  The Caviar completely transformed the colors into a deep pinky grey taupe.  The Edward Bess was quite nice on my arm, but when used on my eyes with In the Pink, wasn't all that different from wearing nothing.  The Le Metier de Beaute eyeliner in Champagne deepened the color.

Direct natural light here.
Out of focus, which shows the glitter shade especially well.  The black Caviar base made the glitter shade particularly strong.
In indirect natural light here.  I love the look of the shade over the LMdB eye liner in Champagne.  The soft glow of the colors as well as a nice contrast to the glitter shade is very pretty.
Originally I tried to take some pictures of the trio on my eyes with just the Nars, but it really didn't show all that well.  So I didn't include that and I also didn't include any pictures of In the Pink on my eyes with the Edward Bess eye shadow base.

Shiseido Caviar Option
Here is what I do have.  This is In the Pink layered over Shiseido cream shadow in Caviar.
cheeks Chanel Narcisse*, lips RBR Irreverance
It's nice and all, but it just looks like a shimmering taupe shade.  And I'm not lacking those taupe shades in my life!
A little closer view of my eyes of In the Pink layered over the black Shiseido Caviar cream shadow.

LMdB Champagne eye liner Option
It's pretty, and with pale pink lips and cheeks, tonally pleasing.
So must have, we say?  I don't think so unless you've really had a chance to play with these in person AND on the eyes.  Expensive things shouldn't take so much work, right?  I mean, this was a lot of work.  Another easier way to make this trio work would be to add a 4th darker shade to add more dimension to the eyes.  That's what I will try next.

I wonder if She Wolf is a bit less picky to work with.  Did you buy any Tom Ford Fall yet?  Have you tried In the Pink?  Did it show up on your eyes?  How do you make it work?

*this product was provided without charge for consideration

22 comments :

  1. i really like it over Shiseido and over LMdB Champagne but I know what you mean. I was fearing that it wouldn't show on me either. I think the first thing I will try is to apply it over one of the creme eye shadows from TF summer collection if I don't see it on my lids LOL. This trio is so unusual, without any "definer" shade and I believe it is meant to be like this... Anyway I really like the looks you created, I hope you like them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, sounds like a great idea layering over the TF cream shadows. Now I kind of wish I kept Platinum around. It would be an excellent color to layer over.

      I do really like how it looks over LMdB liner. I'm more into more defined looks so it seems I need to adjust my idea of how this palette is SUPPOSED to look. Nice quality, though.

      Delete
    2. I was thinking... Maybe you can layer it over a "white" base, like NYX Milk pencil, then you may get the best out of this pink...

      Delete
    3. Oh, good call. I was also thinking about a pale pink or peachy cream base (like a few of the Shiseido creams). Please met me know how you get on with In the Pink when you get it. :D

      Delete
  2. I think you just saved me some $$!!! Wonder how rose seduction will turn out....hmmmm

    I'm with you on the making it work. I don't mind some effort but this seems like it's beyond!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I'm SO lazy, so this is a lot of work for me. The pink colors are so pretty though. Why can't my eyes be like my swatching arm?!
      Rose Seduction is still too sheer & sparkly for me, I think. It looks fantastic on Sara & Makeup Remastered though.

      Delete
  3. I really do like the look with the Shiseido base, but it doesn't resemble what I'd expect from those shadows. I might try to mimic it at home with taupes... What blush and lipstick are you wearing there, by the way? I love those too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was picturing something delicate, pink and more defined! The Shiseido base just makes it all taupe! :)

      I am wearing Chanel JC Narcisse in both looks. In the Shi pic, I'm wearing Rouge Bunny Rouge Irreverance and in the second look, I'm wearing Rouge Bunny Rouge Glassy Gloss in Rhubard Custard layered over the Edward Bess Natural lip liner.

      Delete
  4. Thats such a shame it didn't show up on you like it did when you swatched it, I do really like your methods for getting the best out of it and really like the looks you have done.
    I'm still holding onto the hope that my paleness might make this show on me :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, lovely Clare! You are much fairer. I think you have a good shot at making this look much better on your eyelids than I did, too! :)

      Delete
  5. This is the saddest thing I've heard all day (as you said, makeup sad, not real life sad!) I had had my heart set on In the Pink since i saw the promo pics. I might wait til I see some more swatches of She Wolf and go for that instead. Thanks for the swatches--super helpful!

    Julie
    JulesDarling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, Yes, kind of a bummer, no? Of the two trios, I thought In the Pink was the prettier and more unique. She Wolf I imagine is a lot of versatile than In the Pink for most skin tones.
      I'm glad the pictures were helpful!! :D

      Delete
  6. I like it best over the LMDB champagne! still waiting for she wolf to come out (in sept my god!) and can't wait to swatch it :) i was told that the thing with TF e/s is that they swatch rather poor/chalky on hand but applied great on the eyes, have yet to try them on the eyes so i'm curious...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. September?! SO LATE! I think in the US, it's still only at Bergdorf Goodman right now, too. I hate these slow trickles into the counters. But I think it's good to see reviews and swatches so people can make an educated buy.
      There are some really nice quads out there. My fave is still Cognac Sable. Such a pretty quad!

      Delete
  7. hello dear! I love this on my skin tone. It is contrasting. I agree with it over a white base, it will pop. It is a simple pretty trio. I love the matte shade under brows too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH! Neicy, Neicy! It's all about the tones and textures. All the colors are gorgeous. I think the intended effect is supposed to be all subtle, so I will just go with it. :)
      How are you liking She Wolf, my darling?

      Delete
  8. Another vote here for the LMdB Champagne liner! I think this trio is quite versatile as an add-on, not by itself. I suppose one could never have too many pinkish/peache-ish shadow, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a good stand-alone, I agree. Helen (below) has theorized that She Wolf & In the Pink together would make a stunning palette. I think this is true!

      Delete
    2. Yep, darn TF! My thought exactly after looking at both. Remember I told you I wanted to get the Guerlain Two Parisian (aka black and sparkly pink), well TF has it now in two palettes, well She Wolf is not exactly black, but same concept. Grr..

      Delete
    3. *grits teeth* Maybe Helen will buy both and tell us how they go together. :D Must go stalk her blog now.

      Delete
  9. All of your looks are stunning! It does seem like great deal of work to get it to work for you. I am on the fence about this one. I was going to order this one and She Wolf from BG, but I think that I will wait for the call at NM and go see them both in person. I don't want to spend $60. on In the Pink if it ends up being meh on me. I am fairly certain that She Wolf won't be meh on me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with seeing them in person! She Wolf is the easier one, but I *think* you are right about getting both to wear together. :DD
      What about Orchid Haze? That one is a stunner.

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...