Tuesday, August 27, 2013

THREE Color Veil for Cheeks in 17 Wind Swept Soul and 19 Love Kick

I've recently been dipping my toe into THREE cosmetics, yet another impossible to get Japanese brand.  It is readily available on Ichibankao for those inclined to pay the extra markup.  One of their standout products is one particular blush shade, the number 19 Love Kick.  That one was easy to choose.  I also purchased number 17 Wind Swept Soul, which was featured in a video tutorial with the brand's creative director Rie Omoto.  See video here.
L) 19 Love Kick; R) 17 Wind Swept Soul

 These pans are teeny tiny containing 4.5g worth of precious finely milled product.  (Chanel has 5.6g)
 Both shades have micro shimmer in them.  17 has a tonal muted shimmer, while 19 has a brighter silvery shimmer.  The shimmer are actually just the type to melt into the skin and impart a sheen rather than chunky glitter bits.  I think even moderate shimmer-phobes can enjoy them as the look is very sophisticated.


Wind Swept Soul is a gorgeous, slightly pink nude.  Of course, it's not the ONLY nude I own.  Let me show you some colors that play close cousins with the THREE.

From the top left: THREE 17 Wind Swept Soul, Burberry Earthy, Rouge Bunny Rouge Habanera and Rouge Bunny Rouge Delicata.
 Hey listen, any sane person would look at these swatches and say, "STRIPEY STRIPS OF THE SAME COLOR."  I can discern the nuances among the four, but really, I can not justify having all of them except to say: OOH, SUCH PURDY COLORS.

Blogger Belly says: the THREE 17 is a pretty close relative to Rouge Bunny Rouge Delicata, but slightly pinker and slightly darker.  Habanera has some reddened Terra cotta tones and stands apart from the rest.  Earthy has no shimmer that I can discern and have a more neutral brown tone.

Basically, tan, tan, a little red tan and then tan.
 Here they are again in indirect natural light.  Despite being a very pale shade, THREE 17 shows up very well as far as a subtle shade can.  This (along with all the other I own *HEAD SMACK*) make excellent blush when I wear a very strong lip and eye look.  Or when I want a my face but something a bit better look.  The texture is super smooth and meld beautifully on to skin, too.  You can see in the video linked above how with her intense eye look, the blush is a really nice complement to it.
 The real star is #19 Love Kick.  Let me show how it compares versus other seemingly similar blushes.
 To me, 19 Love Kick seems slightly cool and seems like it should be easily matched and duplicated by other blushes.  I initially thought it would be most closely matched by Rouge Bunny Rouge Florita.  Check them out:
 Depth wise, Florita and 19 are indeed similar, but Florita is still bluer and cooler than 19.  Revenge, another Japanese compatriot is actually more red and less pinker than 19.  Orpheline is more muted and both Chanel's LE cream blush Fantastic and Tom Ford's LE Narcissist are way darker and bluer.

Here they are in indirect natural light.  The tonal differences are clearer here.
 Slightly different lighting again.
I think my general problem when choosing colors is that I tend to be drawn to the same types of colors. Hence my collection tends to revolve around similar colors that can only be discerned by looking at nuances.  Do you get this way, too?

Still, no regrets here with my THREE blushes.  The formula and wearability of both colors are excellent.  I'm looking forward to sticking the rest of my foot in (or wallet in.  or face in)

Have you already been trying THREE cosmetics?  I'd love to know your favorites from the line. 

You will see the colors referred to by the numbers on Ichibankao, in case you were interested in purchasing.  I found that the color chips in the THREE website are significantly brighter than in real life, if you are trying to select colors.

30 comments :

  1. Oh I love THREE blushes, I have 4 of them on the way from Japan!
    The brushes are also very good, check them out. I especially like the Face Brush M :D
    And you definitely need to try the flash performance eye pencils as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)) Which ones do you have coming? Please report back on how you like them!!
      Can't develop a THREE brush addition because making an imaginary shopping basket for Chikuhodo at the moment.

      Delete
    2. I have 05 November Rahpsody (lol misspelling from THREE), 14 Sunday Smile, 22 Sweet Thing and 23 Emotional Rescue on the way. I also picked up the eyebrow brush and a lipgloss in 04 MY EX. Plus some Addiction... :S

      Aw OK. Well you know how it is with brushes - always want more. :)

      Delete
    3. LOL at that name misspelling! But like the whimsical names otherwise. :) You got Fall blushes? Are those 22 and 23 fall??
      I TOTALLY get you with brushes. I always have a mental list of more brushes I want...until I have a brush washing day and realize what a pain it is to have and wash so many brushes.

      Delete
    4. Yes, 22 and 23 are the two new ones from fall! :D
      I am thinking of adding more stuff to my order tho... eep!

      True that! But otoh I'm one of those crazies who wash my brushes after every use (except for powder and blush brushes, I take those once a week), so my brush washing backlog never gets too bad...
      But do check out the brushes sometime, I do recommend them. Plus each brush comes it it's own little pouch :)

      Delete
  2. These look lovely! It seems like even slight variations in swatches can become more significant in a typical cheek application. So...the more the merrier?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can honestly say, on my cheek, which desaturates everything anyway, the on nuances are completely infinitesimal. :) If someone has skin that clarifies and intensifies color then it may be worth it to have all of these.

      Sadly, not me. I shall just go sulk in the corner.

      Delete
  3. I have managed to resist getting into THREE as I know it will be an expensive habit (I already have Suqqu and Addiction to contend with!). These look very pretty though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of think I maxed out with THREE with these two bc, exactly so expensive. And Addiction keeps on coming out with the neat variations on the formulations... which is TOO COOL!

      Delete
  4. Whoa, highway to the danger zone! I have ichi open in one tab and while I was totally going to get 19, I'm now enticed by 17... >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get 17 if you have any of the others here. 17 is beautiful, but if you have Addiction Tea Rose, of any of these up here, I don't think it's a good EXTRA addition. If this is your only nude, then totally go for it! <3

      Delete
    2. I chose 23 instead of 19 in the end (for SCIENCE! 23 looks more blue-pink than 19. Wait, I hope it's not fuchsia! *panics*), passed on 17 because I have Rose Bar and it does the job, and chose eye quad no. 11, the blue/green one. >.< Eeeeeeeeeee!!!!

      Delete
    3. SHRYH!!! I was thinking about 11, but I think it looked muddy for me. PLEASE tell me how you like it, skin twin!

      I bet you 23 is less bright than it looks in the picture. It does look more blue than 19. 19 seems closer to a warmer red.

      Delete
    4. I was vacillating for ages between 11 (blue/green) and 09 (burgundy/pink), and chose 11 because there is a blue-coloured hole in my shadow stash, and I prefer how blue looks on my skin/lids. (Also, maybe because I think I will still pick up Suqqu Hanaazuki? :P)

      To be honest, all three quads look a bit murky to me, but I watched a video on their website (Rie's Makeup Workshop Vol. 2) and found that the shadows have to be applied and layered in a particular way, a particular order. I found that really intriguing and different, and being a little sheeperson, I will try to wear the palette the way God(dess) (Rie) intended.

      Will definitely update you! :D :D :D

      Delete
  5. why is hard to acquire makeup that much more enticing? the thrill of the hunt i guess...i just placed an order at ichi yesterday (a little get better present to myself :o) and now i want to place another...! did you happen to notice in the video that you linked to the THREE Sub Tone Defining Eye Pencil that she used as a base? sort of a greyed mauvey taupey color? i haven't been able to find any reviews on it, any chance you've heard anything about them? you know it's already in my basket for next time..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally thrill of the hunt, bluematilda! I hunt my hard-to-buy makeup like a yummy young little gazelle. Yes, indeedy.

      I didn't pick up that pencil in the video, but ended up using Le Metier de Beaute pencil in Champagne when I tried to recreate the look in the video. This particular pencil is also kind of a cool taupey thing and makes a great base. (it was in my TF in the Pink trio post). :)) What else is in the basket??

      Delete
    2. belly, i have no self control...i just bought that darn pencil...yay!!! my previous order consisted of mudd club, concrete jungle, and horizon (i know, late to the game, i was trying not to cave) and my next order will definitely have something to do with one of those new Three quads..i'm thinking #9 maybe? and that # 17 blush above that you have so graciously shared with us...and maybe that addiction new quad (05 departure) and EX 15 hanaazuki i've got my eye on you..!

      Delete
    3. The THREE palettes are so pretty, I just got 09 and 10. I feel like I need to buy a better camera+lens kit to do them justice.

      Delete
    4. i look forward to seeing swatches! ;o)

      Delete
    5. OMG SELPHIA! WE REQUIRE NEW POSTS ON YOUR BLOG, STAT! :DDD

      Delete
    6. bluematilda, such PRETTY things you are picking up!! You have a NICE list going!!

      Delete
  6. I really like the video tutorial, thanks for the link! What an interesting brand & I think these blushes are v. nice. How does no. 19 compared to, ahem, Madame Rougit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got some sunlight, I will check & let you know. Maybe it's similar to the bottom colors in the MR? I shall report back. (OH FOR GOODNESS SAKE. Just get the Guerlain. ;-) )

      Delete
  7. OMG, I am so glad you posted this. It seems like this could be a replacement for beloved discontiued Sue Devitt Koh Samui! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad Sue Devitt is gone. Some really nice things were in the line.

      Delete
  8. OK i NEED florita and habanera ! now !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Belly!
    I just sent u some pics of the brown e/s!! Let me know what u think!
    Btw, I swatched Three's new e/s palettes today...they were quite sheer :/

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...