Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Un-Welcome Post

FOR DEFINITELY-OH, skip this post and onto the pretty product picture posts.  This is me observing my belly lint, which I am apt to do from time to time.

Source: Reuters
I think my Welcome post is one of the least-read posts in the blog.  Not surprising, to me.  Basically, it's a hello, hi, welcome to the blog thing.  And also a here's the intent of my blog sort of a post.  (You don't have to go read it)  In it I hypothesized that in recognizing my consumption level (which I thought was crazy.  Just my definition of crazy), and exploring my motivations in the blog will help me curb it.

Did it work?

Nope, not at all. 

But the blog has helped me understand myself better.  Knowing is good.  There are things not mentioned on the blog but also what I better understood during my time with this blog.  For instance, emotional well-being is a factor to consumption.  Again, I'm writing about me and not making a general statement.  There is something so pleasing about the planning of the chase and the chase.  There is the intense high of the acquisition and then the lows.  I've had a pretty tough year or so, with all sorts of emotional highs and intense lows and I see how my makeup purchases have a correlation to those highs and lows.  These purchases help me cope and spend time ruminating on beauty rather than life. 

Another factor of having the blog is that the blog itself brings complications.  I tried to quit the blog and the reason I couldn't is all the pleasure I derive from running this dinky operation.  By pleasure (apart from the obvious erotic one ;-) ) I mean the pleasure of having a little community here (love your comments, every single one - even the goofy spam), the instant neural feedback loop (blogger view stats, etc) as well as the interaction with other beauty-loving friends and acquaintances on the web.  That's the pleasure. 

The complications:
  • Money.  I think I would likely have bought these products with or without the blog, but now my motivation for purchase becomes a bit harder to disentangle from the desire to run a happy blog.
  • New stuffs.  More stuffs.  This is related to money of course, but in and of itself, the desire to acquire product becomes more intense.  Theoretically, if I never bought a new thing ever, I would still have a pretty fantastic collection.  So why collect more?  For the blog?
  • Investment.  Not money and not stuffs.  I mean effort and brain time.  Do I have brain time to spare to my little enterprise here?
  • Competition.  Even though this is a little blog, I feel compelled to run a great little one and that means keep posting often.  Like, how am I doing versus so-and-so's blog.  Which is NUTS!  I KNOW and this makes me feel bad that I feel this way.
  • Guilty awareness.  While introducing readers to beautiful things is fun, I wonder in the back of my mind if I'm somehow encouraging imprudent financial choices in others.  I show some outrageously expensive things and if people kept up with me (please don't) could be disastrous.  Of course I don't know anyone's financial situation and I can't take responsibility for other adult's choices.  I know this, but can't help but have that little buzzing thought in my head.  (FYI, I am an oil baron, if you were curious)
Thank you for reading if you made it this far.  Don't worry, I'm not threatening to quit or anything.  Just in my pea-head, there's a lot of stuff crammed in there.  It feels a bit therapeutic doing a brain dump on to the blog.

Now back to our regularly scheduled pretty things.

25 comments :

  1. Hi Belly,
    I love your blog & I'm happy when you post on occasion. I really appreciate your swatches straight from the counter. Reminds me of Karlasugar ;) I was excited to see you swatch Tom Ford's Fall collection & was going to ask if you can go back & swatch the nail polishes too! lol At least with swatching you incur no cost, but I know it can be hard to resist to purchase on the spot :/
    x Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria!
      I would have happily swatched the nail polishes, but I was wearing blue nail polish at the time. :D Luckily, the Tom Ford nail polishes don't do much for me, so I'm sure I can resist for sure. Let me check back at the counter next week.

      Delete
  2. "This is me observing my belly lint" OMG...you are the horrrrrrriddddestttttttttt beauty blogger ever and I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I post pretty pictures, toooooooo. Aren't you glad this post has a picture of Larry Hagman and not my belly button lint? :D

      Delete
    2. Yes yes...glad..relieved..it's a complex emotion :D :D

      Delete
    3. But Rads. But slightly disappointing all at the same time, right?

      Delete
  3. As one of your readers, I don't see you or your blog as an "enabler" but a service. I'm a free-rider, so to speak--as a result of your efforts (purchasing, experimenting, swatching etc), I'm able to narrow down what I want to try and buy myself without breaking much of a sweat. My other favourite beauty blog (DAF) performs a similar service, but her skin tone and concerns are a world apart from mine, so I cross-reference her posts with yours. I trust the Driveller about quality and texture; I trust that the colours and products that work for you will likely to work for me.

    There are different kinds of beauty blogs. Obviously, most are born out of a love of makeup, but there are definitely blogs with a more consumerist bent. The ones who buy several items from every collection, even if it means that they'll end up with twenty vampy polishes from one high end brand. Not slagging them--I find these less interesting because I like geekier blogs. I love Wondegondigo because it is clear that you're writing to sort out your thoughts on the things you own (you're not just descriptive), that you just happen to share with strangers on the 'net. I don't know if this is a conscious decision, but you don't link to where you made your purchases, how much it cost, or end your blog posts with "I think this will be an excellent addition to any coral blush lover's collection, but it's limited edition, so run, don't walk, to your nearest Nordstrom's now." This makes a difference to me, so I'll be reading your blog for as long as you write it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *will likely work

      (Why isn't there an "edit" button to everything, to LIFE??)

      Delete
    2. I just started clicking randomly on the screen, trying to find the "like" button for your comment, if that makes you feel any better. I've been wishing for an "undo" function for years.

      Delete
    3. DAF and Belly's blog here are my two favourites as well!

      Belly, I really enjoy how you inject so much personality into your writing, through your wonderful (I love it!) sense of humour and your sharing your thought process which I find refreshingly honest. With most other beauty blogs I tend only read if the post is on a product I'm interested in but I read every post you write just because its good fun :)

      Delete
    4. Oh! I want to "Like" Shyrh1's comment, too! Thank you, it is so nicely put.
      One of the reasons why I don't put links (though sometimes I do) or prices, is that I'm lazy. :( There, I admit it. The other reason (which is a bit more deep down & dirty) is the idea of looking at the prices and mentally adding it up as I post seemed just so...*shivers*
      It is so nice to hear that you find the pictures & the blah blah helpful, skin twin! :-**

      Wen,
      Thank you for reading it all! :) Your comment is so kind and so flattering considering DAF is truly my very very favorite blog as well. All My Buys R Belongs to Kate.

      Delete
  4. Awwwwww,thanks Belly! You are super sweet! Glad you are able to resist the nail polishes, this might be good news for my credit card ;) I'm anxious for the TF Fall collection since the Neiman Marcus in Beverly Hills & Newport Beach don't know when the items will be coming in. Also I'm embarrass to say, but I called the Neiman's in Las Vegas to see if they had it in yet. (Talk about planning the chase! lol) I really prefer to swatch myself, but since the eyeshadow trios & nail polishes are limited edition I'm concerned it might be sold out by the time I have a chance to see them in person. This was the case for me with his Summer collection :/
    x Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria,
      Well, I already placed my pre-buy at Bergdorf, so I totally know how you feel. I feel the Fall looks much nicer than Summer! I was totally amazed at how quickly summer sold out. I can imagine it was a bummer trying to track down the nail polishes!

      xoxo

      Delete
  5. I love reading this blog, because it's a wonderful beauty blog, but also because you do brain dumps like this, which make me realise that every blogger has the same sort of things going through their head as I do.
    The biggest pressure I feel in terms of cosmetics is to get things when they're NEW, even if I don't have to, because that's what people are looking for (and what makes my page views go up, which gives me a sense of validation). Personally, I'm trying to figure out ways to get around that by thinking of different ways that I can incorporate my aesthetic obsessions... It's a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, I appreciate your blogger perspective, especially with having your very established blog. And I so identify with the pressure you described related to new products. I think some of my best read posts are when I post pictures of very brand new releases (like Tom Ford sheer lipsticks, or Chanel cream blushes) even though I don't think the color representation in the photos are accurate. Though I enjoy going out there and giving a glimpse because they are likely to be helpful AND likely to generate huge views, I don't necessarily consider them my best "work." But buzz and page views... hmmm.
      I love that you incorporate a range of topics into your blog and not strictly cosmetics. It makes for a very interesting read.

      Delete
  6. I can tell those are some honest thoughts.. just like everything else on your blog. Carry on, love ya anyway!

    P.S. Yes, my cosmetics consumption is directly proportional to chaotic/blah/yucky events in my life. We can safely say that this is the universal law of nature for cosmetic-fans/addicts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you swatch SNL back in the day with Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey? I have those same deep thoughts, and some are on the blog. A funny NYT article I read which really surprised me when I learned Jack Handey is a REAL person:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/magazine/jack-handey-is-the-envy-of-every-comedy-writer-in-america.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

      I knew there is a law! I KNEW it!

      Delete
  7. Well written. I basically deal with the same thoughts and worries :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by to comment! I feel relieved to hear there are others out there with the same concerns. :D

      Delete
  8. Love to hear your thoughts and concur with all of them. My blog too is a welcome distraction to the highs and lows of daily life. I have had for sure a tough year and my blog and like minded people I have met have really put a smile on my face when needed!
    And of course I love all my lovelies that I bought and shared.....are an added benefit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that might be one of the nicest benefit: the goodies! :))

      Delete
  9. OMG, Dallas!!!!! I used to watch that show every week with my family...thought I was so grown up and stuff lolol :-) I loved reading your thoughts on blogging!!! Just know that no matter how you feel, I always love reading your posts and chatting with you!!! You make me laugh - like, actually for real laugh out loud!! - you are genuine, you are beautiful and I love all the things you share with us!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. The 80's night-time soaps were so fun. I loved those. Also loved the back to back Fantasy Island + Love Boat Sunday evenings. I think it was Sunday evening. The big hair, the horrible storylines, the Mr. Rourke. All good fun. :)
      Thanks for being such a lovely friend and one of the best people I've met while on this blogging journey. HUGS!

      Delete
  10. lol belly lint! and duhhh we like your blog :D and don't worry, you don't make me buy more things, i already do plenty of that just on my own lolol. anyways, i've discovered that i like to buy just for the thrill of getting something. like, literally getting something. Not even having it, or using it. just buying it and checking it off a list. i am CRAZY

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...