Sunday, August 25, 2013

Lipstick Week: Day 7 the Vamp - Tom Ford Lip Color in Black Orchid

Ooh, this post is just too predictable that I can barely stand myself.

So Day 6 was the MLBB (my lips but better) and today I bring you the polar opposite, the Vamp.  It's something about the cool mornings and evenings that has me mulling over the deeper tones I love in the Autumn and lots of lovely blogs I follow are turning their attention to the same.

The vampy lip color is a wardrobe staple for me, but something I wear infrequently.  Just as a super saturated red has a time and place (mood wise), the vamp is similar.  The vamp says: "Look at me, but not too long.  Because if you do, I will kick your ass."
Ass-Kicker, right here

Tom Ford's Black Orchid is now being discontinued, so if this is something you've had your eye on, I say buy it sooner rather than later.  I myself am pretty ambivalent about this particular lipstick.  The formula really doesn't do well for me.  I've gone into detail in my post on this lipstick formula here.  I've kept it around because of all the vamps I've seen, I really like this color.  I just can not put it into the purge pile.
For such an assertive color, it is pretty versatile.  It's easily dabbed on with fingertips for a sheer wash of plum, or applied with lip brush and then really built up to its blackened intensity.  Here, I've used a lip brush, a nude lip liner (just for slight definition) and then built up slightly straight from the bullet.  I've also blotted lightly with a tissue.

Other vamps I've spied on have too much red, or too much brown.  I find Tom Ford's Black Orchid has a nice balance of plums that is not brown and has the right blackening.  Meanwhile, this is a fiddly color, wearing away in uneven patches.  I may reapply during the day and then just put balm on because apart from needing careful reapplying, it requires some serious moisturizing to undo its drying effects on me.
Look at me.  Don't look at me.  I will KICK your ass.
Above, wearing Black Orchid, along with RBR Delicata blush, and Chanel Kaska Beige eye shadow quad which also has some plummy brown tones.

Are you a vampy lip kind of a person?  Which vamp do you love the most and what is your mood when you wear it?

This is my final Lipstick Week post.  I wanted to thank Claire from Aucuparia Brumalis & Carina from Softly Sometimes for this opportunity to showcase some interesting lip colors.  I hope you enjoyed this series!

33 comments :

  1. I adore vampy colours and I'm always frustrated that higher-end brands whose formulas I prefer tend to shy away from including them in their permanent assortment. This was the first TF product I got (it's in the white packaging) and it is just a perfect vamp shade. I was gutted to hear that it's being discontinued, since now I have to decide whether to invest in a new shade or get a backup of this one.

    I've really enjoyed all the lipstick week posts, even though you may have tempted me to spend even more money...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate,
      Thank you so much for following along in my Lipstick Week! I really appreciate all your feedback!! Have you seen Armani 609? That seems to be the closest I've seen to Black Orchid. I've not tried that formula before but I have heard nice things.

      Delete
    2. I do have 609 and, truth be told, I prefer the Armani formula to the Tom Ford. And yes, they are very close. The Armani is a little browner and less purple, but most people probably wouldn't notice.

      Delete
    3. Ah! That's good to know about your formula preference! I'm glad to know there is an alternative to Black Orchid out there.

      Delete
  2. I had no idea this was being discontinued--thanks for the heads up. I've been wanting to pick it up for ages, and the color looks gorgeous on you, but it sounds a bit too high maintenance. I think your review (and the discontinuation) is a sign from the universe that I should give this one a miss!

    Julie
    JulesDarling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Universe gives mysterious signs! :)
      It seems there are other options out there, so unless you're a big TF lip formula fan, I think it seems to be a good reading of the signs.

      Delete
  3. Hi Belly,
    you really rock this one, look so pretty on you. Too bad that you dont like the formula...
    On me everything becomes so dark for a reason I don't know LOL and this one looks really darker. I still love it though, perfect shade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sara. I've blotted the intensity down on this one. I think it is easily built up to much much darker. :) It is a gloriously perfect vamp shade, I totally agree.

      Delete
  4. This colors looks so good on you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fyrinnae lip lustre in dragon's blood is kind of vampy like that but not drying. Vamps that are not too blue are lovely as a lip stain :) I really enjoyed the series :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried Fyr. lip products! (and the eye stuff only very recently as you know)
      Thanks for reading the series!

      Delete
  6. Shame about the formula because that shade of vamp looks great on you!
    I really liked the limited edition Rouge D'Armani 408 (gorgeous dark red-berry tone) but ended up giving it away because it was way too drying :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. darn, Rouge D'Armani didn't agree with your lips? :(
      Maybe it won't be a great formula for me either.

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately not :( Which is so sad because GA does such gorgeous bold colours!
      My lips are pretty fussy though, so its likely you'll have better luck. The best formula for me is Guerlain Rouge G followed by Chanel Rouge Allures. Burberry Lip Covers are quite good too but euughh the smell... :p

      Delete
  7. I love that colour on you, but I agree - the lipstick looks really drying on your lips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a fantastic color; but yep, this formula doesn't do my lips any favors.

      Delete
  8. I love this shade on you! I tried this and Armani's 609 when I was on my vamp lipstick quest, and I opted for the Armani, but I did feel a twinge about leaving this behind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Larie,
      Looks like 609 is a great alternative! You picked a great one.

      Delete
  9. Helooooo Vamp! I never would have thought of paring this with Kaska Beige but you are right, it has that chocolaty-plumy brown tone. And also I didn't know that TF is d/c-ing this.. Thanks for the heads up! Great series, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claireeeee, I think I've heard of Black Orchid at CCOs. Maybe worth a looksee if the outlets are nearby to you. Although mine has blechy stuff whenever I go. I love Kaska Beige, it's very sultry.

      Delete
    2. What, TF at CCO? As if I need another excuse to torture the boys by driving 2 hours and make them wait outside while browsing, sweet!

      Delete
    3. My nearest CCO has prehistoric MAC, so I dunno it's worth a 2 hour drive! :) Other people seem to score some good TF, though. Maybe you? :DD

      Delete
  10. I agree on the formula but this shade is just so pretty! the perfect vamp, it looks gorgeous on you! / Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dang, I think I like this one on you best of all! Sucks about the formula, though. I heard somewhere that TF is re-issuing Bruised Plum to replace Black Orchid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the TF colors, just not the formula. Shame. Well, plenty of brands to go out and give my lovin' to on the lipstick front.
      :)

      Delete
  12. LOVE a good vampy colour -- I even wear them during the summer and I justify by thinking of myself as one of those prada runway girls, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true. A good vamp is great all year round! I find that a vamp matches my morose mood better in the depths of winter though.

      :DD

      Delete
  13. LOLOLOL!!!! Re: ass kicking...that's so funny because that's exactly how I feel when I wear a vampy shade!!! Seriously...that's why I don't feel comfortable wearing it to work because I don't think that's quite the message I want to convey. But this fall...ooooh, WATCH OUT!!! Anyway, too bad about the formula being meh because I love the color on you :-) But even in that 3rd shot with your slight grin I feel like you're gonna drop kick someone at any moment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, if I ran into someone on the plane wearing a vampy lipstick, I'd just avert my eyes and not ask for anything! :)
      Hey, that's not a terrible idea, no?

      Delete
  14. What color is the nail polish in the first picture with the Black Orchid lipstick?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...