Sunday, August 11, 2013

Lipstick Week: Day 1 Base Zero

I kicked off my Lipstick Week(ish) series yesterday with an intro and today I bring Base Zero.  Ok, well that's no lipstick really, but it's what I rely on to get my lips into tip top shape.  And I'm also going to show you my natural and unadorned lips (Base Zero) because lip pigmentation has an effect on how lip colors show up.  Alrightie then.

Balms.  In this picture is one lip balm that I can not do without for long, one lip balm that destroyed my lips in not that long, and one lip balm I'm afraid to open because of the lip balm that freaked my lips out.

Nuxe Reve de Miel Baume Levres is the one I can not do long without.  It is on my night stand and before going to sleep I slather on a very generous layer which works all not to deliver soft and moisturized lips in the morning.

It works so well well that there is actual product remaining on my lips in a protective layer when I wake up!
It really is a very thick balm.  Despite seeing a bit of the shine on my arm with the sun glinting off it, on the lips, it goes on matte.  It can be used as a lip base before putting on say, a very drying lipstick, but for me I reserve this for night time.

The only con for is that the texture is slightly off putting for me.  The thickness makes it seems like it won't absorb and it won't work, but it's pretty miraculous how well this works for me.  Within the thick product, there are little hard granules.  I don't think they are meant for exfoliation, but maybe bits of shea butter or other ingredients that have solidified.
As I mentioned that I use the Nuxe at night, I purchased the Julie Hewett Camellia Rose Balm to keep at the office.  It has a lovely light citrus smell and a slick and easily absorbed texture that makes it sink into my lips.  It has a pearly rosy iridescence that also helps give the lips a pretty glow.  But guess what, this is the product that freaked my lips out.  The more I used it, the more drier and chapped my lips got.
How sad.  You can see the pale pearly pink from the balm.  The light pink is too pale to give my lips any color, but the shine was lovely.  I guess I should throw this out, but I feel it's such a waste.  I would use it on my cuticles if not for the color.
As you saw, my Nuxe lip balm is showing clear signs of the end.  Instead of purchasing a new one as I should have, I was pulled into the lure of the Tatcha brand and picked up their Gold Camellia Nourishing Lip Balm.

I've not used it yet.
But look.

There is the most outrageously luxurious layer of gold leaf resting on top of the product.  As you use it, you crush little bits of the golf leaf and get some golden shimmer on your lips.  I'm actually a little apprehensive about using it because of my terrible experience with the Julie Hewett.  If Camellia oil and extracts are what upset my lips, then Tatcha will also not work for me.  I guess it will help me hone down on ingredients not compatible with my skin when I get to use this.
Anyway, here is my Base Zero lips.  Nothing on.  Funny thing as I age, my lips are getting less pigmented!  I got rosy blue mauve dead lips.  *edited to say, when "nothing on," I mean nothing on lips!  I got oodles of crap on my face!

Here are the ingredients for your reference.

Ingredients:
Nuxe-
Acacia Honey 5%, Shea Butter 13%, Plant Oils (Chilean Rose, Sweet Almond) 9.5%, Grapefruit Essence 2.5%, Vitamin E 1%. Beeswax, shea butter 13%, vegetable oil, lecithin, behenoxy dimethicone, sweet almond oil 8.5%, honey 5%, dimethicone, octinoxate, grapefruit oil, caprylic/capric triglyceride, hydrogenated vegetable oil, soybean oil, rosa moschata oil, tocopheryl acetate, tocopherol, allantoin, lemon oil, candelilla wax, calendula extract

Julie Hewett Camellia Rose Balm-
Tatcha Gold Camellia
Next time on my Lipstick Week post, I promise to put up a lipstick. ;-)

What's your must have lip balm?

26 comments :

  1. I want to try the Nuxe lip balm! I need something like this for my stupid dry lips :|

    Your lips look perfectly normal without extra lip color on..mine are unevenly pigmented - I could never put a photo like that without scaring most people :P :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee! I doubt you'd be scaring off anyone!!! XD
      Nuxe is kind of like a cult favorite, and I can see people thinking what's the big deal. I've tried many different ones, but I have yet to find a better one.

      Delete
  2. I've tried many, but Nuxe is the only thing that works for me. Unfortunately, I don't find the more portable stick version works as well, so while I am happy to use this at night, I'm still looking for a nice option to tote with me in my purse. I've actually found a lot of balms drying on me, although I wasn't clever enough to compare ingredients like you were. One that seemed very promising when I tried it in store was the new Hourglass liquid balm. Of course, I want to punch myself in the head for trying it, because I do not need to know that a $50 lip balm works really well for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that the Nuxe stick is not as good as well. :( I use the Fresh treatment to carry around, but also found that over time, they dried my lips. I've resorted to carrying around a tiny pot of Vaseline. Don't feel bad for coveting the $50 Hourglass one. I'm afraid I've exceed that by having used (and despised) the even more expensive By Terry Rose one.

      :D

      Delete
  3. Oh this is great lip balm tips, thanks so much. I never use lipbalm, but I am going to check this one out. Funny that rest of my face is usually rather dry but my lips almost never dry out LoL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Nuxe is the only reason my lips stay reasonably in good shape, Sara. In the wintertime, when it's so dry, Nuxe still works well.

      Delete
  4. I love a good lip balm, my dry lips could not survive without one. I've been searching and trying for ages. Then I made the stupid, stupid mistake of trying the hourglass no28 treatment lip oil (as Kate above). And I got hooked on my sample. Seriously it's so good. After I had a cold sore (funny enough triggered by the sun) those pesky crusts and dried skin healed in a couple of days of applying this oil. I think I'll try the Nuxe one though before I purchase hourglass ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remind me NEVER to try the Hourglass. I can not get hooked! :)
      Nuxe is so great for me. I kick myself for not taking advantage of its last big discount event.

      Delete
  5. my favourite and most effective lip balm is my eye cream. during the day I use my RMS Beauty lip&skin balm. I agree, moisturized lips are very important, especially if you already have dry skin *raises hands*. my lips have a mauve undertone ad I turn everything more pink D:, can't wait for all the lippies :] / Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! When I'm doing my night skincare routine I tend to swipe whatever excess I have on my lips, too.
      I turn things all manner of pink usually, too!!!!

      Delete
  6. I love both Nuxe and Julie Hewett (although I have her untinted balm), I wonder what's in JH that bummed your lips out so much?

    Since you already have the Tatcha, you might as well give it go, no?

    Looking forward to the rest of Liptick Week... I am a lipstick hound!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope it's not camellia oil. Then, I'm screwed! I'm definitely going to try the Tatcha out sooner rather than later and finally putting the JH into the bin. Yay for lipsticks!

      Delete
  7. I so wanted to love the Nuxe lipbalm but there's something about the scent that has a slight licorice-y tinge to it = instant HATE for me. Tatcha looks very luxe indeed! Please report back on this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think about the scent. Scent is definitely one thing that will make me dislike a lip product for life. Right under your nose. GACK!

      Delete
  8. I love the Nuxe as well! I want to try the Tatcha soon though! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall cross our fingers for the Tatcha, right?

      Delete
  9. Pure vitamin e oil is my favourite lip treatment/balm product. Anything with mineral oil is bad for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love mineral oil! All manner of mineral oil in moisturizers, cleansing oils and balms! My favorite multi purpose product is Aquaphor which is chock full of that stuff. Pure vitamin e oil sounds really great though. Simple and effective.

      Delete
  10. Hey!!! I just ordered the tatcha balm!!! Tell u what maybe we test it out at the same time. Moral support. You know :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FRONDS FOREVER! :) I hope we love it. I think I will break it out tomorrow during the day.

      Delete
  11. Another Nuxe-er here! I'm on my 2nd jar. They come up with a twist-up stick version, not the same of course, but lovely nonetheless. Yikes the gold leaf! Let us know how that one goes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Nuxe works really well for me, too. I find that I have to be really careful to not over-apply, because something in it makes the skin around my lips break out if it gets on it (I used to slather on tons before bed, but now I just pat a LITTLE on)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine, I bet some of the shea butter/botanical oil ingredients in the Nuxe can potentially clog and irritate some skins. I am so glad it works so well for me.

      Delete
  13. I love the nuxe for a base under my lipstick but I really love the BT for over night . basically with these two my lips never peel ;D score!
    i really want to try the tatcha one but I have bnib baume de rose so gotta wait :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ya know, bnib BT all over you face, cuticles, lips. You'll be done with it in no time! ;)

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...