Saturday, August 24, 2013

Guerlain Madame Rougit Four Color Blush

I mentioned in a prior post about upcoming fall collections that one of the items high up on my wish list and blind-buy list was the Guerlain Madame Rougit blush.  I'm pretty sure that the regret of missing out on the LE Serie G Noire made me pre-dispositioned to brainless purchases of all future LE Guerlain blushes.  (Who's out there with me!  *fist bump*)  I actually did make it to a counter to play with the tester and it did feel hard and only picked up on my fingers with a fair bit of effort.  As I recalled from the Asia-exclusive Blush G Sakura (here), the difficulty in swatching wasn't a negative because it shows up well on the face.

It's really a beautiful looking product.  And like the Rouge G's from this collection, it has a beautiful swiss-dot lace embossing and a white shimmer dotted overlay.
The blush pan flips up to reveal a compartment for the enclosed brush.  I guess the brush is handy for touch ups, but so far haven't been impressed.  It's kind of scratchy.
I kind of wish the over-sprayed dots would stay intact, but with the first brush, it swept away completely.
I tried half-heartedly to swatch the individual colors, but that was pretty much impossible.  But look at how the color picks up with a brush.  This is the Shu Uemura 18 Goat.
The first time I used the blush, I had a fair amount of the frostiness from the white dot overlay on my cheeks.  But now that the dots are gone, the colors itself look very matte in the pan.  On the skin however, there is a sheen.  The bottom shade, a deep cool pink has fine shimmer run through it and imparts the blended shade with the sheen that you see here.
My brain is trained to think that smooth, buttery softness equates to luxury and good formulation in a blush.  In my mind, I experience a bit of cognitive dissonance when I see the beautifully luxurious packaging (the embossment, the shiny case, the extra blush, the big mirror) and feel the very hard texture of the pan.  What's also surprising though is that the color on the cheeks is actually really easy to build up and even overdo it!  The pigmentation is deceptively stronger than a finger swipe would indicate.

What I really do like about this blush is the actual finish and the color itself.  It's a balanced pink (by blending the cool tones and the warm tones) that has a very flattering and radiant finish.

On the other hand, if you aren't a fan of the Guerlain esthetic, have other pinks, or not fan of the sheen-type finishes, then you can certainly pass on this.  For me, loving all of this, plus the fact that it's the four-color format makes me enjoy this.
And recycling a recent Lipstick Week picture, I am wearing both the Madame Rougit Blush as well as the Rouge G lipstick in Madame Flirte here.
Are you an LE Guerlain blush fan?  Did you indulge with Madame Rougit, or still deciding?  Are you a Series G Noire owner?

22 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. I agree, Trona! The color and the whole package of this blush is so pretty!

      Delete
  2. These Guerlain pinks (blush and lippie) really, really light up your face! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the most enticing swatches I have seen of this thus far and it looks gorgeous on you. I'm too bitter about the shadow duo to go back to the Guerlain counter for a while but you have certainty piqued my interest :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally don't blame you for being bitter. Those were surprisingly disappointing!!!

      Mme. Rougit is very HARD though. You must try it on your face if are even slightly thinking about buying it.

      Delete
  4. I chose to wear this blush for the first time today. I completely forgot it came with a brush. Off to find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! Well, I didn't think all that much of the brush, but it is handy to have around. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm totally with you on this blush! I wanted it from the moment I first saw the promo pics and am so glad that I went ahead & got it, despite all the less than glowing reviews. I too find it both lovely in pan & on the cheeks. Yay for Guerlain & thanks to you for your honest & amusing posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee! Another Guerlain lover! Thanks, Buggsie Bee, I'm glad you liked the post.

      Delete
  6. Totally agree with you about the white dot "lace" pattern--I so wish that had stayed. I'm so mixed about how I feel about this though. Your swatches are some of the best that I've seen--and it looks absolutely lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In general, the oversprays companies use are nice to look at but a big disappointment when they rub away. The Armani face/eye palettes where the middle eye shade completely changes color with the overspray off is just over the top. :)
      The natural outside light really plays up the loveliness of this shade! <33

      Delete
    2. Oh, I know. But the blush was just SO SO SO pretty, it was a shame to use it. I I have all three blushes. I definitely prefer Serie Noire over this one. SN has more of a "glowy" finish. MR has a glow, but when compared to SR, it looks like more of a matte blush.

      Delete
    3. Noire. Dang dang dang dang dang!!!

      Delete
    4. PS--So cute that your nails "match" the blush :)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful review, Belly. This is the only thing from the collection that I am thinking about getting- I keep going back and forth on what to get from all of the Fall collections- especially TF. I am trying to balance common sense with desire-- always such a hard feat in the face of gorgeous collections!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have the other 4-color blushes? I REALLY REALLY regret not getting the Series G Noire that I don't think I could have NOT bought this one. :)
      Boy, is common sense hard to come by or what?! :P I suffer from my own stupidity.

      Delete
  8. That blush looks absolutely gorg on you!! O.k. I'm still on the fence and really don't need to see this post, yikes! I do think that the texture of Guerlain powders are not as buttery as say Burberry's, or even Chanel's and I think that has something to do with Guerlain's origin. When we think of French cosmetics brand here in the U.S. I bet most of us think of Chanel, but when I was in Paris, long long long time ago, Guerlain is HUGE. I mean BIG HUGE. It occupies the center isle in main dept store like Lafayette, Printepms, or Le Bon Marche. I also looked around the women there, none of them wear "much" makeup (le no-makeup look, of course! but they probably deny it :-)), so it goes without saying that much of Guerlain products are a bit "understated" in terms of pay offs. That's just my theory, perhaps anyone else here may chime in. P.S. Not a sight of Madame Rougit yet at my local Nordie, that means I'm SAFE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Claire! Guerlain is really so very French. I like your theory about the understatedness of the brand and how it determines color pay off. Ooh, smarty pants, you are. Madame Rougit is totally vanity candy. Such a pretty product. (*whispers* no one is ever safe. it'll get to you soon)

      Delete
    2. Lalalalala, I don't hear you!! So long as I don't get a call from Nordie (which I'm on their list to call once the collection is in store) I'm safe, right? right?

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jacobin! It's really a star of this collection. Such prettiness!!

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...