Monday, August 26, 2013

Chanel Joues Contraste in Narcisse

>>This product was provided free of charge for consideration<<
I was so fortunate to be given an opportunity to try Chanel Joues Contraste in Narcisse by Izzy's Beauty Shoppe.  It's been long discontinued in the US, but is currently available in the European baked version on the Izzy's Beauty Shoppe website.  It is quite a nice resource for those long-discontinued or limited edition items, as well as regional exclusives.

I was a bit concerned that such a pale pink would not show up readily on my skin but was really happy to see it impart a really beautiful pink flush.
It's become a go to favorite for a very feminine and pretty look.


Though I'm starting to grow quite a blush collection, I don't own many Chanel ones.  My recent purchases were cream blushes and my only other Joues Contraste is Fleur de Lotus, which was available as a Nordstrom and Asia-exclusive.  Like Fleur de Lotus, my Narcisse is the European baked formula.  Both Narcisse and Fleur de Lotus are available at Izzy's here and here.

There are legions of fans who vastly prefer the American non-baked powder product from Chanel, but my only experience with Chanel blushes is with Fleur de Lotus, which I really like.  I've noticed in FdL and also in Narcisse that it is a very hard and slightly powdery formula.  The brush will kick up a fair amount of blush dust.

Despite that, pigment picks up well with a denser haired brush.  I've been using my assortment of goat-haired face brushes.
I'm going to have to say that the swatches look pretty anemic.  That vast empty space on the right is actually a blended swatch of Narcisse.  My summer tan is lingering on my body and I think I am still about NC20 or there about on my arm.  I think it would be challenging for those of slightly tan complexions to wear Narcisse and have it show.

Obviously Narcisse is a very pale pink that has fine golden micro shimmer.  The color layers a tiny bit, but the overall look on my slightly tan face is still very subtle, but pretty.  I also love the slight radiance from the shimmer.  The overall texture on the skin reminds me quite a bit of Fleur de Lotus.
The faint golden shimmer is quite lovely on the skin.  I've been wearing this often and you can see it worn in my Lipstick Week post on MLBB here.  I think I will get even more mileage in the winter when I get quite pale in the face.

Some other pale pinks that make a reasonable comparison: the top shade of Guerlain Blush G Sakura and Rouge Bunny Rouge Gracilis.  I've also compared Gracilis to Burberry Cameo here.
Gracilis is more mauve-toned than Narcisse.  Blush G Sakura's top shade actually has a more pronounced shimmer and has a bit of peachiness.
Same in indirect natural light.
I like the clear pinkiness of Narcisse versus the mauve or peach of the other shades!  Then again, nuance or real?

Do you wear pale blush shades, too?  What are some of your favorites for a subtle and brightened cheeks?

________________________________________________________________________
disclosure:  This product was provided free of charge by PR/Marketing for consideration.  I strive to give my full and honest opinion regardless of how I've obtained a product.  If you want some more information on my policy, please check out my general disclosure statement.  All links are for your convenience only.


15 comments :

  1. This one is a truly stunning pink, I love light pink on the cheeks. I have a Dior blush, Rosy Glow it is called I believed. It is one of my most used blushes. It is a tad too blue based though and Chanel Narcisse seems to be even better, thanks so much for your review xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosy Glow is beautiful! These pale pinks are so pretty on. I'm glad you liked the post, lovely Sara!

      Delete
    2. Oh Belly, you are the one to blame, I found this shade in Kleiderkreisel, a swapping website in Germany and purchased it LOL. I hope it shows on me too, especially given the fact that now I am like a few(!) shades darker.

      Delete
    3. HEHEH *evil laugh* Eventually it's gets too cold to hang outside and soon you'll be back to pale in no time! :)

      Delete
  2. I always hesitate on Narcisse because I wonder if it's too cool-toned for me (NW20). How do you think it compares to Nars Gaiety?
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always passed on Gaiety because I thought it would be too cool for me!! LOL
      So can't make the comparison unfortunately. I have to say Narcisse is pretty clear toned and not so pastelly which makes it easy to wear on my skin. But I am rather on the warm side.

      Delete
  3. OMG, seriously- you and I are such makeup twinsies!! I have the US & Euro versions of Narcisse,and it was on my list to swatch them side by side for one of my readers! I bought my Euro version from Izzy's a few years ago and noticed that they still had them. I am so glad that you got your hands on this! Narcisse remains one of my all time favorite blushes! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I would so happily swap makeup with you for a while! Wouldn't that be fun?

      I feel sad I never got a US one, but I like the Euro one.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Sorry, I found a glaring typo!!! Our tastes are so similar that I think that we should go back to our original idea and ditch our families and move in together! He would live in a perpetual state of makeup and skincare gluttony, but the good thing is that we would actually save PILES & PILES of money because we would only need of buy one of each thing- at least for eyeshadows and blushes!!! I really love the US version of Narcisse- I wish that I had purchased a backup-- they had two left when I got it, and I REALLY should have taken both because I have already made a sizable dent in the pan, and think that within a year that I will hit the pan. I love the Euro version, but the color and texture differ from the US version.

      Delete
    4. We are just too brilliant. Think of what we can do with all the extra money. Maybe develop a debilitating addiction to nail polishes even! Or get a small pony even! Just think of it!!!!

      Delete
    5. Girls, would you two take me in the makeup family, I have nice eye shadow quads to offer ;-)))

      Delete
    6. omg, add Sara's stash and we'd have a Super Stash with capital letters!

      Delete
  4. Great swatches -- esp since I know how hard it is to capture subtle glow in blushes. I have both versions of JCs (different colors though) and I think I can safely say that JC has the best understated glow of all the blushes I owned. It can look matte on the pan, even glittery but for some reason, it translates as glow on the cheek, just like your swatches show. I don't own Narcisse, that would fill a niche in my already growing blush collection (HALP!). For pale pink hmm let's see. I think my go-to is Chanel Tweed Pink. Perhaps it is a bit deeper pink than Narcisse but I think the effect is still the same. It has that beautiful, ethereal glow and can be build up from sheer to deep. Also, not pale by any means but By Terry Rose de Rose (the pink one) gives me that brightened cheeks effect as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fill ALLLL the niches!! Buy ALLL TEH THINGS!
      The Tweeds are lovely. Do they have more shimmer with the gold threads going through? Are those overlays or actually in the product?

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...